Start by marking “Citizen Kane” as Want to Read:
Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane's unchallenged reputation as one of the greatest films in all cinema is matched only by the accumulation of critical commentary that surrounds it. What more can there be to say about a masterpiece so universally acknowledged? As Laura Mulvey shows in a fresh and original reading, the richness of the film, both thematically and stylistically, is inexhaustible. ...more
Published December 27th 1992 by British Film Institute (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Citizen Kane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Citizen Kane

Zohal
Jul 04, 2016 Zohal rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
This was interesting, but there was nothing really groundbreaking about it.
Mitchell
Aug 01, 2010 Mitchell rated it it was ok
Laura Mulvey declares herself from the outset to be a feminist critic. She then quickly admits that a feminist reading of Citizen Kane wouldn't be that fruitful. However, she says that she will put the movie through the rigors of what she things is the cornerstone of feminist criticism - Freudian analysis. I am not familiar (or interested) enough in either Freudian analysis or feminist criticism to know if the result in this book is successful in either discipline. I can say that it made for p ...more
Thomas
Sep 24, 2016 Thomas rated it it was ok
A bit too much feminist psychoanalist approach and comparison with William Randolph Hearst for my taste. Other BFI Film classic titles I read favoured the direct contact with the film (which I prefer also). But if you're into Mulvey you may be fully satisfied.
Matt

Wrapped itself a little too much in Freudian analysis. I'm pretty partial to it, myself, but it's a not what you do its the way that you do it kind of situation.

I did appreciate how she tied the film in with the geopolitical situation of the time- Kane (hearst) is a conservative, rabidly conservative, isolationist. Earlier drafts of the script made more of this tie-in with fascism (or at least fascist sympathies- at that point in history, for Americans, not altogether that much of a difference)
Caroline
Sep 09, 2012 Caroline rated it liked it
With a film as complex as "Citizen Kane," the possibilities of interpretation and analysis are really countless. Mulvey does a solid job of giving her own perspective on what is below the surface, and one that is interesting and insightful. She talks a lot about psychoanalytical factors or potential reasons for characters' actions or the structure of the film. I enjoyed reading her thoughts about "Citizen Kane" and think it's definitely worth reading, as I think there's a lot of validity to her ...more
Danny
Feb 14, 2013 Danny rated it really liked it
My expectations for this one were simply a bit of a recap of the story along with some possible ways of interpreting it. As long as you don't expect an encyclopedia, I think this will prove very rewarding and useful.

There's a lot of background stuff regarding what happened in the making of the film, which was what I mostly wanted from a book like this. At the same time, it touches upon the various themes and topics that you might think about in relation to the film, which is why it works - seri
James F
Feb 04, 2015 James F rated it really liked it
Shelves: cinema
Another in the BFI Film Classics series. Although I have never been one of those who consider Citizen Kane the greatest film of all time, it definitely represented a landmark in cinema history, and this book explains why. It points out the many ways in which the film differs from the average Hollywood movie, and some of the innovations, both technically and thematically, which made it so outstanding. It also gives a psychoanalytic reading of the film which goes beyond the superficial Freudian in ...more
Sps
May 24, 2010 Sps rated it really liked it
Shelves: language, 700s
Precise, economical, assured, but offered with a certain humility too. She manages to talk about the film's political and historical context and give a thorough analysis of the story's development without neglecting detailed examination of particular shots and choices of lighting, framing, cuts, script revisions, etc.

"The appeal to read the scene is made, and also frustrated." (28)

On Susan Alexander Kane: "as spectacle, attempting to impersonate the erotic codes essential for woman as spectacle
Castille
Feb 17, 2014 Castille rated it really liked it
LOVE this series! This particular book is particularly one-sided towards the left, though, so be prepared for that. As someone who sees Kane neither as a protagonist or antagonist, but rather a person like any other who has great qualities as well as demons, I appreciated Mulvey's perspectives, even though she definitely seems mostly opposed to Kane.
Sagar Jethani
Apr 24, 2012 Sagar Jethani rated it liked it
Shelves: history, mythology
Nice little bit of analysis. Brought out aspects of the film I had never noticed before. Could have done without all the Freudian interpretation, but I suppose that reflects contemporaneous literary analysis.
Víctor R. Ramos
Víctor R. Ramos rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Luísa
Luísa rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2014
kenneth parris
kenneth parris rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Tony
Tony rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2011
Jude Brigley
Jude Brigley rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2011
Jeremy Barlow
Jeremy Barlow rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Nedduh Simonson
Nedduh Simonson rated it really liked it
May 28, 2012
Thomas Raymond
Thomas Raymond rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Steven Felicelli
Steven Felicelli rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2014
Jillian
Jillian rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2010
Emefa
Emefa rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2013
Harry Feng
Harry Feng rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Jack Davis
Jack Davis rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Daniel Loria
Daniel Loria rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2008
gloria kessler
gloria kessler rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Darby
Darby rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2012
Alicia's
Alicia's rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2008
Betsy
Betsy rated it did not like it
Mar 30, 2007
  • The Women Who Knew Too Much: Hitchcock and Feminist Theory
  • Pursuits of Happiness: The Hollywood Comedy of Remarriage
  • The Matrix
  • The Classical Hollywood Cinema: Film Style and Mode of Production to 1960
  • The Parade's Gone By...
  • Hitchcock's Films Revisited
  • How to Read a Film: The World of Movies, Media, Multimedia: Language, History, Theory
  • The Silence of the Lambs
  • The Great Movies III
  • For Keeps: 30 Years at the Movies
  • The Films of Akira Kurosawa
Laura Mulvey is a British feminist film theorist. She was educated at St Hilda's College, Oxford. She is currently professor of film and media studies at Birkbeck, University of London. She worked at the British Film Institute for many years before taking up her current position.

Mulvey is best known for her essay, "Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema", written in 1973 and published in 1975 in the
More about Laura Mulvey...