Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea

Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea (The Witch of Two Suns #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The shari'a people are an ancient race-a proud and gentle people, ruled by witches who harnessed the powers of the world for the benefit of all. When the seafaring Allemanii tribes came to their shores, the two races lived side by side for generations, staying apart but trading and learning from each other in peaceful harmony. But something went horribly awry and the shari...more
Published October 13th 2002 by Tor Fantasy (first published July 1st 2001)

Hyperion by Dan SimmonsEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardCassastar by Alex J. CavanaughDune by Frank HerbertFoundation by Isaac Asimov
Best Space Opera
144th out of 283 books — 658 voters
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerWives and Daughters by Elizabeth GaskellThe Godfather by Mario Puzo
Kin
352nd out of 677 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Judith
This book is fantasy with overtones of soft-core science fiction.

Witchcraft has been outlawed for generations in this feudal land, but what happens when a witch reveals herself in the process of healing a noble? This book examines issues of prejudice on both sides of an ancient conflict, as the characters try to understand the good and evil in themselves. I look forward to seeing how the characters develop in the remaining books of the trilogy.
Evanston Public  Library
Diana Marcellas creates a world in this book were differences are suppressed and magic has no place to be. In a planet called Yarvanett, Brierly needs to find her place, without betraying her identity. This is a book were fantasy and emotions are the dominant elements, but adventure, suspense and genuine characters make this novel an excellent option for those who like to read science fiction and fantasy books. (Isabel C. - Reader's Services)

Angela
really enjoyed this and the 2 that followed, unfortunately the series stops bang in the middle of everything and any further books haven't been written - I don't know the reason, whether the author lost the plot or fell afoul of publishing entanglements. Crying shame though. The existing books are still well worth a read, just be prepared to be left dangling :(
Laurie D'ghent
So disappointed in this book. It was an epic, beautiful tale that enthralled me, with very little swearing and nothing inappropriate beyond a passing mention of rape. Then, around page 250, it erupted into pernicious filth. I kept trying to skip ahead, get past the scene, but it just went on and on. So, so disappointed.
Kristina
An amazing book about a witch and her coming to terms with her powers while running away from the rest of the world who think her too dangerous to live, Even though she heals anyone who needs it.
S. L.
This has interesting characters, but not much story to it. But anyone who reads fantasy should read this just once, for the sake of her witches and her women.
Malissa Kent
I loved this book; I couldn't put it down, and eagerly devoured the others in the series (which isn't over yet...). Ms. Marcellas's writing is beautiful and her characters are well-developed; one of the books that I simply cannot recommend enough.
Craig
Quite good fantasy about one of the few "witches" who've survived extermination over the centuries in this created world. Conflict comes as she tries to keep to her calling to heal while remaining anonymous and discovering the history of her people.
Megan Sewell
This is another bought the book because I liked the cover, I have to say, the book inside was just as amazing as the cover. Highly recommend this book.
Ratforce
This fantasy tale emphasizes its strong heroine and a plot that develops the characters over time. It often appeals to fans of Robert Jordan.
Blanche
It was a pretty good read with some different views about magic. I did really like the magic system, and some of the plot twists.
Brittany
I enjoyed this bookvary much but I found it harder to get into than most other books. It was a little too slow of a starter for me.
Stephanie
I'll admit I didn't finish this one. Several chapters in, when I still wasn't gripped by plot or character, I abandoned it.
Anne-Mette
Engaging and well-written, but I found myself losing interest in the last part of the story.
Castleflax
En välskriven fantasy. Dock lite för mycket politik och för lite action för min smak.
Mary
took a while, but got better
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Dirk
Dirk marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Nieras
Nieras added it
Jul 05, 2014
Kina Aasa
Kina Aasa is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2014
Angie
Angie added it
Jun 20, 2014
Chimpee
Chimpee marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
  • Wind from a Foreign Sky (Tielmaran Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hidden Queen (Anghara Kir Hama, #1)
  • The Skull of the World (The Witches of Eileanan, #5)
  • Lady in Gil (Gil Trilogy, #1)
  • Legacy of the Wolf: Cheysuli Omnibus #2
  • The Serpent and the Rose (War of the Rose, #1)
  • Earth Logic (Elemental Logic, #2)
  • Kingmaker's Sword (Rune Blade, #1)
  • A Woman Worth Ten Coppers (Shadowed Path, #1)
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • Starfinder: Book One of the Skylords
  • Touched By Venom  (Dragon Temple Saga, #1)
  • Holder of Lightning (The Cloudmages #1)
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
  • The Book of Earth (Dragon Quartet, #1)
  • Six of Swords
  • Challenges (The Blending, #3)
  • Beyond the Pale (The Last Rune, #1)
The Sea Lark's Song Twilight Rising, Serpent's Dream Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea (The Witch of Two Suns, 1)