Start by marking “Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea (The Witch of Two Suns, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea (The Witch of Two Suns, #1)

Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea (The Witch of Two Suns #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  351 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The shari'a people are an ancient race-a proud and gentle people, ruled by witches who harnessed the powers of the world for the benefit of all. When the seafaring Allemanii tribes came to their shores, the two races lived side by side for generations, staying apart but trading and learning from each other in peaceful harmony. But something went horribly awry and the shari ...more
Published October 13th 2002 by Tor Fantasy (first published July 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea

Hyperion by Dan SimmonsDune by Frank HerbertEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardFoundation by Isaac AsimovCassastar by Alex J. Cavanaugh
Best Space Opera
216th out of 416 books — 908 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingA Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisCrescent Bound by Karli RushEternal Island by K.S. Haigwood
Best Books Featuring Witches
466th out of 495 books — 745 voters

More lists with this book...

Althea Ann
Reminded in feel of 1980's-1990's era Marion Zimmer Bradley. Woman-centric fantasy with a 'classic' setting.

In this world, witchcraft is outlawed, punishable by death. Our Heroine, the teenaged Brierley, knows she is a witch. She believes she may be the last of her people. All she knows of her heritage, she has gleaned from her predecessors' journals, hidden in a secret cave.

Her particular talent is healing - and when Brierley feels 'called' to heal, there's not much she can do about it. It's b
Kathylill
Jan 25, 2015 Kathylill rated it liked it
It is beautifully written and the story is compelling. Unfortunately the characters left much to be desired.

Our teen-witch Brierley acts all holier than you although she is merely 17 years old. She lives like a hermit in a cave on the beach and she is a witch compelled to “heal” people by battling an imaginary dragon.

The book was unintentionally comical at times. Imagine a half-crazed 17year old girl battling her imaginary foe with an invisible sword in a hospital!

The romance didn’t sweep me o
Judith
Jun 18, 2012 Judith rated it really liked it
This book is fantasy with overtones of soft-core science fiction.

Witchcraft has been outlawed for generations in this feudal land, but what happens when a witch reveals herself in the process of healing a noble? This book examines issues of prejudice on both sides of an ancient conflict, as the characters try to understand the good and evil in themselves. I look forward to seeing how the characters develop in the remaining books of the trilogy.
Nafiza
Jun 04, 2015 Nafiza marked it as dnf
Too slow, dragged on. Characters didn't interest me. Meh.
Lindsay Stares
Jul 14, 2015 Lindsay Stares rated it liked it
Recent eBook release - I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley for the purpose of review.

Premise: Brierley is a healer by birth, in a land where the people who had magic in the blood were thought to have been all killed long ago. Her calling brings her into politics and danger, and she’s not sure where her destiny will lie, or what she wants it to be.

There are things I really liked about this book. I like the way Brierley’s magic works. I love her connections with previous generati
Ukgardenfiend
Dec 06, 2014 Ukgardenfiend rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-125-books
Reviewed for publishers.

This is a book that grew on me.
From the start the lyrical phrasing and use of alliteration made me want to read the text but gradually the story brought me into it - more in the latter half of the book though, as the front end is largely the usual story we hear about witches are cruel hags - or so men with little sense of self worth have seemed to believed over the century - and the contrast view of witches as wise women and healers. It is clear from history that these t
Jaclyn
Nov 17, 2014 Jaclyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have put my review on my blog but I will post it here too. http://bookwormgirl513.wordpress.com/

Opening line: "When the second sun sets into the sea, the shadow of the offshore islands slowly climbs the coast-land slopes, ascending the serrated pattern of the trees; one by one, each dark pink and everwillow passes from daytime green to silhouette shadow.

Summary: Brierley is a witch in hiding in a land where witches are though to be dangerous and extinct. She hides her skills well as a healer f
Rachelle
May 18, 2016 Rachelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First off, I'm just going to say that you probably shouldn't name one of the races in your book using the same word for Islamic law. Perhaps take 30 seconds to type the word into any search engine before choosing it, just to be on the safe side. Especially when those people are witches persecuted by the other race of people in your story.

Since I began reviewing books, I have loved or at least enjoyed every book I've read that has been published by Open Road Media. So, when I chose Mother Ocean,
Angela
Feb 11, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it
really enjoyed this and the 2 that followed, unfortunately the series stops bang in the middle of everything and any further books haven't been written - I don't know the reason, whether the author lost the plot or fell afoul of publishing entanglements. Crying shame though. The existing books are still well worth a read, just be prepared to be left dangling :(
Laurie D'ghent
May 27, 2014 Laurie D'ghent rated it did not like it
So disappointed in this book. It was an epic, beautiful tale that enthralled me, with very little swearing and nothing inappropriate beyond a passing mention of rape. Then, around page 250, it erupted into pernicious filth. I kept trying to skip ahead, get past the scene, but it just went on and on. So, so disappointed.
Kristina
Jun 02, 2014 Kristina rated it it was amazing
An amazing book about a witch and her coming to terms with her powers while running away from the rest of the world who think her too dangerous to live, Even though she heals anyone who needs it.
S. L.
Mar 05, 2014 S. L. rated it liked it
This has interesting characters, but not much story to it. But anyone who reads fantasy should read this just once, for the sake of her witches and her women.
Ilona
Dec 07, 2015 Ilona added it
Shelves: dnf
Complimentary Review Copy Provided by Publisher Through NetGalley

I have not been able to finish this book even though I have tried to at least three times. The blurb was so very interesting and the concept is wonderful but somehow it failed to grab my interest once I opened the book. I know it must be something about me - maybe the reading mood I am in or the style of writing is unappealing to me -I really don't know. All that I do know is that others have found it worthy of 3 or more stars and
Evanston Public  Library
Diana Marcellas creates a world in this book were differences are suppressed and magic has no place to be. In a planet called Yarvanett, Brierly needs to find her place, without betraying her identity. This is a book were fantasy and emotions are the dominant elements, but adventure, suspense and genuine characters make this novel an excellent option for those who like to read science fiction and fantasy books. (Isabel C. - Reader's Services)

Corinne
Jun 21, 2016 Corinne is currently reading it
Witch book challenge #6
Malissa Kent
Aug 07, 2011 Malissa Kent rated it it was amazing
I loved this book; I couldn't put it down, and eagerly devoured the others in the series (which isn't over yet...). Ms. Marcellas's writing is beautiful and her characters are well-developed; one of the books that I simply cannot recommend enough.
Craig
May 24, 2008 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Quite good fantasy about one of the few "witches" who've survived extermination over the centuries in this created world. Conflict comes as she tries to keep to her calling to heal while remaining anonymous and discovering the history of her people.
Megan Sewell
Mar 10, 2010 Megan Sewell rated it it was amazing
This is another bought the book because I liked the cover, I have to say, the book inside was just as amazing as the cover. Highly recommend this book.
Ratforce
This fantasy tale emphasizes its strong heroine and a plot that develops the characters over time. It often appeals to fans of Robert Jordan.
Blanche
Jun 13, 2013 Blanche rated it liked it
It was a pretty good read with some different views about magic. I did really like the magic system, and some of the plot twists.
Brittany
Jul 28, 2010 Brittany rated it liked it
I enjoyed this bookvary much but I found it harder to get into than most other books. It was a little too slow of a starter for me.
Stephanie
Sep 04, 2007 Stephanie rated it did not like it
I'll admit I didn't finish this one. Several chapters in, when I still wasn't gripped by plot or character, I abandoned it.
Anne-Mette
Jan 01, 2015 Anne-Mette rated it liked it
Engaging and well-written, but I found myself losing interest in the last part of the story.
Castleflax
Jun 17, 2013 Castleflax rated it liked it
En välskriven fantasy. Dock lite för mycket politik och för lite action för min smak.
Mary
took a while, but got better
Fabiana Alvarez
Fabiana Alvarez marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Timothy Ryan
Timothy Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Curtis Robison
Curtis Robison marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
  • Wind from a Foreign Sky (Tielmaran Chronicles, #1)
  • Lady in Gil (Gil Trilogy, #1)
  • The Hidden Queen (Anghara Kir Hama, #1)
  • Sea of Sorrows (The Sun Sword, #4)
  • The Skull of the World (The Witches of Eileanan, #5)
  • A Woman Worth Ten Coppers (Shadowed Path, #1)
  • World Without End (Moontide and Magic Rise, #1)
  • Turning the Storm (Eliana's Song, #2)
  • Fortune's Wheel (Sholan Alliance, #2)
  • Illumination
  • Jerlayne
  • The Lion Throne
  • Road to Underfall (Loremasters of Elundium, #1)
  • Foreseen (Rothston, #1)
  • The Fair Folk

The Witch of Two Suns (3 books)
  • The Sea Lark's Song