Start by marking “Stripped: Inside the Lives of Exotic Dancers” as Want to Read:
Stripped: Inside the Lives of Exotic Dancers

Stripped: Inside the Lives of Exotic Dancers

What kind of woman dances naked for money? Bernadette Barton takes us inside countless strip bars and clubs, from upscale to back road as well as those that specialize in lapdancing, table dancing, topless only, or peep shows, to reveal the startling lives of exotic dancers.

Based on over five years of research and from visiting clubs around the country, particularly in San
Published May 1st 2006 by New York University Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Stripped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stripped

Feb 16, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it
Pretty good. A mostly thoughtful narrative that aims to explain the attraction to stripping for women and the costs most regularly associated with it. Not anti-stripping, but realistic and institutionally situated. Good solid sociology.
Dec 07, 2010 Ariel rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic and realistic look at the world of exotic dancing. It was nice that the book focused more on daily life, on the ups and downs of the job, but not necessarily on the childhood of the dancers that so many books focus on. It was very interesting! I enjoyed it a lot!
Apr 14, 2011 Diane rated it really liked it
I've always thought that stripping as a profession is more damaging to women than empowering, as some people claim. The author interviews women who strip for a living to get to the bottom of the damaging vs. empowering debate. Guess what? I'm right.
Apr 08, 2011 Jenny rated it it was ok
I was disappointed as I thought I would read some eye-opening accounts from different women in the industry. It was a lot of what I already knew though it was interesting to read about these women as individuals. Still, it's depressing that I have my master's degree and I make less money than a woman who is taking off her clothes for a living. It shows how much a woman's body is still valued more over her brain in our society.
Apr 21, 2012 Joni rated it it was ok
Shelves: sociology, women
It was okay, a little bit interesting and quite a bit depressing, but I learned something about other people and that is a always good thing.
Jan 11, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
As a former stripper, I was hoping for more. I'll leave it for you to decide. It was fairly informative, but nothing surprising was revealed to me. Not a bad book. Not a great book.
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Andy rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Laura Proctor
Laura Proctor rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Rebekah Frank
Rebekah Frank rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Melody rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2014
Natania rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2013
Paul rated it did not like it
Apr 01, 2016
veronica davies
veronica davies rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2013
Corie rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2008
Shelva rated it did not like it
Mar 16, 2016
Kristie Morris
Kristie Morris rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2014
Hayley rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2012
William Wright
William Wright rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Nichole rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2012
Amy Woolf
Amy Woolf rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2011
Sarah Boes
Sarah Boes rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Breanna Weston
Breanna Weston rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2010
Cheryl rated it liked it
May 21, 2014
C.B. Daring
C.B. Daring rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2010
Kristen rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Jenna rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Stacie rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Sex Work: Writings by Women in the Sex Industry
  • Bulletproof Diva
  • The Sacred Prostitute: Eternal Aspect of the Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 32)
  • Whores and Other Feminists
  • Brothel: Mustang Ranch and Its Women
  • Ghettonation: A Journey Into the Land of Bling and the Home of the Shameless
  • Elsewhere, U.S.A.: How We Got from the Company Man, Family Dinners, and the Affluent Society to the Home Office, BlackBerry Moms, and Economic Anxiety
  • Indecent: How I Make It and Fake It as a Girl for Hire
  • Nanny State: How Food Fascists, Teetotaling Do-Gooders, Priggish Moralists, and Other Boneheaded Bureaucrats Are Turning America into a Nation of Children
  • You Want Fries with That?: A White-Collar Burnout Experiences Life at Minimum Wage
  • Fighting Words: Black Women and the Search for Justice
  • Doing School: How We Are Creating a Generation of Stressed-Out, Materialistic, and Miseducated Students
  • Motivational Interviewing with Adolescents and Young Adults