The Wounded Sky (Star Trek #13)

The Wounded Sky (Star Trek: The Original Series #13)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  1,101 ratings  ·  36 reviews
An alien scientist invents the Intergalactic Inversion Drive, an engine system that transcends warp drive, and the U.S.S. EnterpriseTM will be the first to test it! The Klingons attempt to thwart the test, but a greater danger looms when strange symptoms surface among the crew, and time becomes meaningless.

Captain Kirk and his friends must repair the fabric of the Univers

Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published February 3rd 1985 by Pocket Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Wounded Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wounded Sky

James
Diane Duane, author of fantasy novels and even a Star Trek Next Gen episode or two, wrote what was her first novel in the Original Series universe called The Wounded Sky.

The Wounded Sky tends to be a bit tedious reading at first. We meet the alien scientist, who is a glass spider-like alien (why the book blurb says "pretty scientist" is beyond me!) meets up with the Enterprise crew, which crew has won the lottery on which starship will be heading off to parts of the Galaxy Mankind has never been...more
Mike McDevitt
That jellyfish on the cover made me think it was the story where Nurse Chapel married a jellyfish. But, no, my bad, it's a glass spider called K't'l'k, and she's got a universe to save and a new one to build. Plenty of exotic new aliens in this story, plus the enjoyable Harb Tanzer- Recreation Officer. Every starship needs one, cause everybody needs the simplicity of play.

Put through too many filters and rewrites, this became the TNG episode 'Where No One Has Gone Before'. Stands perfectly well...more
Vincent Darlage
I don't remember much about this book, except that as a teenager I LOVED it. This, along with "Black Fire," was one of my favorite Star Trek books. I re-read it many times between 1983 and 1988 (at least once per year), more than any other Star Trek book (aside from Black Fire, which I re-read just as frequently). I need to re-read this as an adult to see if it really was that good - but then again, maybe I ought to just leave it be and remember it as one of those books I loved as a kid.
Elaine
I've read this one several times, and like it every single time. Good characterizations and lots to think about.
Just read it again, first time in at least a year or two, and it made me cry all over again, the good kind of weeping. The author saw and loved in the ST characters what I saw and loved in them all those years ago, and made a magical, wondrous story about them, and more. I have two copies - one to read, and the other autographed to me. Not letting go of either!
Travis
Diane Duane wrote a bunch of Trek books in the eighties and every one was a good solid read. She did a nice job of characterization and even created a few background crew members that showed up in several of her books and made it feel like the Enterprise did have a crew bigger than the ten guys we saw on the TV show.

David C. Mueller
This story is more of a metaphysical romp than an action-adventure, but it does present the psychological cores of the main characters of the classic "Star Trek" series. An interesting alternative to the usually predictable "Star Trek" novel story line.
Beth
I'm sort of kicking myself for having managed not to read this book for so long. This is the same, brilliant vision of the Star Trek universe as Spock's World, which I've loved since my teenaged years.

There's a theme that I can't quite name that seems to run through much of Duane's work that sometimes makes me wonder if the Young Wizards doesn't actually take place in the same exact universe as Star Trek. Her writing makes me hopeful, and even as I come to the depressing realization that the de...more
Darcee
This is one of my very favourite Star Trek books of all time. I love the new characters she creates and she just nails her depiction of the original characters. Love it!
Daniel Kukwa
The creative physics part of this novel transforms the concluding chapters into a mind-shredding roller coaster that threatens to leave the reader close to dribbling from the sides of the mouth. I must say, it all but defeated me...and I only stuck around because Dian Duane has such a magnificent command of the the crew of the original Starship Enterprise. Read this primarily as a warm up/prequel to Ms. Duane's magnum opus, "Spock's World"...and read it because, never mind the brain-cramping fig...more
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1984:]. The latest Star Trek novel and rather a good one, tho' the scientific concept on which it is based - the defeat of entropy - is a little boggling for a pedestrian mind like mine. Luckily I can see past the scientese - creating a "heavenly" state of no death or decay is simply Duane's way of creating a situation for dramatizing what she feels is the essence of each of the ST characters: Kirk's joy in command and the trust of his followers; Spock's devotion to tru...more
I loved this book and everything in it - the world-building, the science, the wibbley-wobbley timey-wimey aspects (I've got Doctor Who in your Star Trek - and Diane Duane is a Whovian!), the Duane-created OCs, and Kirk. Kirk being Kirk! Older, wiser Kirk who is still the same Kirk everyone loves! There's tentacles and body swapping and Starfleet folks who don't conform to a gender binary because the galaxy's too big for that mess and Sassy!Bones and a whole lot of eyebrow quirking from Spock and...more
Dan Contrino
Great story with plenty of fantasy in the spirit of the original series. There were a few segments, while in the Inversion Drive, that could have been shortened but all around a good, fast read. I always like when Trek authors write segments with ships chasing each other and using seemingly plausible maneuvers. I had this book, as a child and was always scared of the alien on the cover but she turns out to be a wonderful character who apparently shows up in some other books. Also, I'd like to me...more
Monk
Such a bargain. Only 255 pages, but feels like 800. During which the characters talk, think, and talk about thinking. Some wackadoo science thrown in to make you suspect that aren't bored, you're stupid.
The Enterprise has been chosen to test out an exciting new form of propulsion that will take them outside the galaxy in an eye blink. The inventor, an amiable arachnid named K't'lk who is soon on a first name basis with Scotty, spends lots of time explaining her math, which looks more like magic. After a tense battle with the Klingons which Sulu wins by being completely insane, they are off to the Lesser Magellanic Cloud. Unfortunately, they discover that breaking physics has deleterious effects...more
Zauberlehrling!
Ja, die Idee war nicht schlecht, aber mal wieder ging es darum einen Gott zu schaffen oder einen in seine Schranken zu weisen. Man merkt, dass diese Buecher aus dem amerikanischen Raum kommen, wo auf Gott, Glauben und Religion unglaublich viel Wert gelegt wird. Ich weiss nicht, ob das im 23. Jahrhundert noch immer diesen Stellenwert haben wird. Ich habe ueber einen Monat an diesem Buch "gekaut". Diane Duane ist eigentlich sehr bekannt in Star Trek Kreisen und sie schreibt auch Drehbuecher fuer d...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Interesting to read once. This is the novel where some of the original characters from My Enemy, My Ally first appeared. The most entertaining part is the credits at the beginning, where Duane lists the reactions of some other authors when they learned she was writing a Star Trek tie-in novel. My favorite is Jane Yolen's - "Is this contagious? Can I get shots?".
Benjamin Plume
Like a lot of these earlier original series novels, this one is overall pretty lackluster. These books just don't have a lot of consistency with how the characters - main and supporting - are treated. The same is true of the physics and which futuristic theories happen to apply in Star Trek. As far as the writing itself, it ranged from pretty good to awful, with tendencies to waver drastically in quality even within very short sections. I don't recommend this book unless you're running out of St...more
Dan
An excellent entry in the Star Trek series. Diane Duane captures the characters, the sense of wonder, and the action that make stories, particularly Star Trek stories, great. Some readers may find themselves bogged down with the technical descriptions and high-minded physics concepts, but for the most part, I think Trek fans will find this a perfect depiction of what Star Trek is all about.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2013/12/w...
Grace
Dec 04, 2007 Grace rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes sci-fi, or metaphysics
You don't actually have to be a Star Trek geek to enjoy this book--you just have to be a geek for metaphysical, existential science. Diane Duane, though she write a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, especially for series, is really more a "science" writer, than just "science fiction." She writes like a very educated, philosophical person.
Kreg
Apr 15, 2008 Kreg rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: star-trek-tos
A bit too far-fetched even for Star Trek. The main piece of technology in the book isn't explained very well (unless you have an advanced degree in physics), and rather than using a fair number of the established races of the UFP, the book introduces many entirely new ones that only add to the confusing plot.
Justė Latauskienė
Well, this is definitely science fiction. Half of the book (the technical babbles) could be taken out and the plot wouldn't be damaged at all xD
khalil
This was my favorite book for years and years, and it's still up there. I think this might be Duane's first novel; it's at least a very early one. I think her writing has gone downhill with time, and this is still one of her four or five best books, in my opinion.
Chas
I have avoided Star Trek books, but this one was suggested by a teacher. So, I held my breath and started. Loved it, very fun. Gives life to parts of Star Trek that would be very difficult to translate to screen.
Heather Domin
Well that was some trippy shit. O.o I read the whole thing in one day and had to wring out my brain afterward. I'm going to need another reading to take it all in, but I really, really liked this.
Zuzana
Quite good. Spot-on characterization of the lead trio. Could have done with a better editor though, half of the technobabble could have been edited out without hurting the story in any way.
Felicia
Apparently, this was Diane Duane's first Star Trek book. Her work is wonderful, and this was right there with the others. Some descriptions were a big long, but for a first book....
Justin Rees
This was an interesting novel, a little slow on the pick-up, but enjoyable over all. When can I not enjoy reading about the adventures of Captain Kirk and crew? :p
Michael Taylor
There were quite a number of nice descriptive moments from the pasts of members of the crew, but the amount of "hard science" in the book was draining.
Byron  'Giggsy' Paul
pretty good. started 4 star but some things at the end were too absurd or too easy to fix. Features some hard science fiction with ethics and philosophy
Mikael Kuoppala
Full of true science fiction intrique, "The Wounded Sky" is an experimental and unique piece of writing. Very impressive!
  • Black Fire
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Dwellers in the Crucible
  • Triangle
  • Pawns and Symbols
  • Corona
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #1)
  • The Abode of Life
  • Legacy
  • Deep Domain
  • The Trellisane Confrontation
  • The Final Reflection (Star Trek: Worlds Apart, #1)
  • Ishmael
Diane Duane has been a writer of science fiction, fantasy, TV and film for more than thirty years.
Besides the 1980's creation of the Young Wizards fantasy series for which she's best known, the "Middle Kingdoms" epic fantasy series, and numerous stand-alone fantasy or science fiction novels, her career has included extensive work in the Star Trek TM universe, and many scripts for live-action and a...more
More about Diane Duane...
So You Want to Be a Wizard (Young Wizards, #1) Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2) A Wizard Abroad (Young Wizards, #4) High Wizardry (Young Wizards, #3) Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)

“If death is truly a curse,' Spock said, as soberly as some power pronouncing a hundred years of sleep, but with a glint of private, serene humor in his eyes. 'There is little logic in condemning something one has not experienced...or does not remember experiencing.” 2 likes