The Haunted House

The Haunted House

2.82 of 5 stars 2.82  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  63 reviews
In 1878, Esther Cox -- a young woman who'd recently suffered a physical attack on her virtue in a small Canadian town, in an era when such things were unheard of -- was beset by spirits. Unseen hands set themselves on her; sourceless voices spoke to her. She wasn't the only one who saw or experienced these things, but she was at the center of the phenomena. The haunting be...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Wildside Press (first published 1879)

aPriL meows 'n growls TLDR
This is a delightful 19th century novella written with the Victorian-inspired, newly 'scientifically' educated, middle-class reader in mind, who, while mindful of socially respectable mores, was swept up with the then current fad of mediums and ouiji boards. At the same time, electricity was being put to use in all sorts of magical and frightening ways which was amazing the average citizen as well, uncertain as to whether things electrical were satanic or celestial in origin. The line between 's...more
Yas
Writing flat.

Characters flat.

Book flat.

Basically in a word, crap.
Ceelee Sunshine
A pleasant little diversion on my Amazon Kindle app. I love any kind of ghost story whether true or not because most of this type of story is about the history of a person or place which is interesting to me and they are just fun to read! (I am not easily frightened) I love older books and this little novel was terrific set in 1878 and a perfect way to spend Halloween Eve. 19th century ghost stories are quite different from modern tales as they tend to be more literary, less blood and guts grues...more
Lisa the Librarian
If you can't judge a book by its cover pehaps you should also take care when judging a book by its title. The title of this book seemed promising, a true account of an actual haunting had such potential for a creepiness factor.

Purported to be an account of an actual eye-witness to a case that has been documented in other places as being a real event. However the storytelling style was very flat. It read like a weather report, not a terrifying supernatural string of events.

Good news wa that it...more
Will Hoover
The Haunted House: A True Ghost Story, by Walter Hubbell, is obviously a relatively short read, being that it is compromised of a mere six chapters. And unfortunately, the first two chapters will almost certainly test the patience of many a reader who may quite naturally be eager to get on with the truly haunting part.

Fortunately, the fascinating and allegedly fact based supernatural occurrences documented in chapters three through six make the tediousness of the first part of this slim volume w...more
Anne
Who needs to watch a terror movie on a weekend night when there is such an amazing scary story like this one? I was surprised at how scary it was. The suspense was there all the time. It reminded me of the bell witch legend. The family was going through the same things and the entities did similar things to them, plus it all happened in the same century. It's something to think about.
Devlin Scott
Whether this is a true haunting or not I can't say. It seems, to me, the events were cleverly contrived and conveniently arraigned for an audience's attention. I'll need to do a bit more research into the Great Amherst Mystery.

For now, it is an entertaining haunting worth the time it takes to read.

Devlin
Carolyn Injoy
Jul 07, 2014 Carolyn Injoy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dedicated ghost story readers
Recommended to Carolyn by: Amazon free kindle
The Haunted House: A True Ghost Story by Walter Hubbell can be obtained free at this link Free

The Amherst Mystery, which took place in Amherst, Nova Scotia, Canada in 1878-79 was recorded by Walter Hubbell, an actor with a great interest in the paranormal. He arrived at the cottage of Dan Teed in the summer of 1879 & observed the unfortunate Esther Cox who seemed to be at the center of these hauntings.

It is written like a documentary & as such is often dry & matter of fact. Althoug...more
Matt
It's difficult to form an opinion on the veracity of the story, given the author's personal interest (he was an actor, not a scientist). But if I were to take this book at it's word I would have to address the fact that Walter Hubbell spent the majority of it recounting events and conversations that took place within the space of the year before he arrived.

It seems to me that Esther Cox (view spoiler)...more
Robert Beveridge
Walter Hubbell, The Haunted House: A True Ghost Story (General Books, 1879)

Currently making the rounds in a newly-revitalized, if still not proofread, edition (available at Gutenberg in any number of formats and free for Kindle on Amazon), and just about what you'd expect from an investigative-journalism series from the latter half of the nineteenth century. Hubbell comes off as overly-credulous, though if he did truly witness everything he claims to have and didn't spend too much time searching...more
jazz-ee2
I spotted this as a free ebook for my Kindle, and do love a good ghost story so gave it a whirl. It's actually a very short book so a quick read, written in the style of a report by 'the Author' (which is the name he uses in the last chapter, referring to himself in the 3rd person which was a bit wierd...!) of the Amherst Mystery detailing the supposed paranormal activity surrounding Esther Cox.

Is it truth or fiction? Either way, whilst it may have been racy when it was written (according to Wik...more
Devin
The manifestations described in this story commenced one year ago. No person has yet been able to ascertain their cause. Scientific men from all parts of Canada and the United States have investigated them in vain. Some people think that electricity is the principal agent; others, mesmerism; whilst others again, are sure they are produced by the devil. Of the three supposed causes, the latter is certainly the most plausible theory, for some of the manifestations are remarkably devilish in their...more
Lucy G
I had mixed feelings about this book. Luckily I was half way through it before I read any reviews as most of them are very scathing.

I have to agree that the language seems odd - I'm not sure if that is down the bad grammar, or simply the era in which it was written. There are also a couple of instances which I'm sure are just mistakes - in need of a good proofing.

In terms of the general story - I enjoyed it on the whole but did find it rather dry. The way in which Hubbell re-tells the ghost's...more
Bettielee
The book starts out like a story. It introduces the inhabitants of the house – the principal owners being Daniel and Olive Teed. Daniel is a foreman at the shoe factory. Olive lives in the 1800’s, so she stays at home and does housework. They have two children and rent the other 3 rooms to their adult siblings. Olive’s two sisters rent one room, her brother, another. The third is let, on and off, to Daniel’s brother when he isn’t farming. Middle sister Jane is a great beauty, and then there is E...more
Mark Abrams
I have long been a fan of 19th century literature with its drawn out descriptions, complex phrasing, and formal language, so I must admit I really enjoyed reading this. I can understand, however, how many people who have reviewed this found it boring. I suppose if you can stand to have furniture described as "commodious" and not even wince a little, you'll do fine with this read!

It is told as a true account of the events in 1878-9 that revolved around Ester Cox in a small town in Nova Scotia. S...more
Tabbitha Lindsley
This read was a tad on the boring side. It is almost technical in the way it is written but that is understandable considering this is from the 1870's. I believe it to be a true ghost story and an interesting one in how it comes to begin and end. Not a bad read considering it was a free kindle book.
BJ Haun
Another weird one that I pilfered from the "Free Books" area for the Kindle.

Turn out to be another "true haunting" book, based off the events that occurred in a cottage in Amherst, Nova Scotia (in fact, the haunting is known as the Great Amherst Mystery). The book covers the history of the family in the house, the events of the haunting, and in the end of the book, the author's own visit to the household to witness the events.

The book is more or less a dry read, as it is just the retelling of ev...more
Hannah
Good

It was your typical ghost story, but with a Victorian flare to it. I enjoyed it. It was said by some other readers that there were some types and what not, but there were none that I could see. Maybe I had a different version.
RachelvlehcaR
It was a Victorian style ghost story. This is done in a journalistic style. The author is in the household describing the family members and friends, how the events start, increase, and end. This was a free book at Amazon.
lynn
Interesting but somewhat abbreviated tale of a young girl who is haunted by various spirits. At first it appears she is only haunted while in one house but she ultimately finds she is haunted wherever she goes.
Deborah A. Stevens
A Classic

A Classic

A book from the late 1870's, telling the tale of a haunted house and the young woman possessed of ghosts and devils. Chilling and frightening.
D Carr
I gave this book a good review because I was less concerned with the writing and more concerned with its content. While many today will scoff at the possibility of such things occuring today, there have been enough evidence of such that it's easy for me to leave them to their skepticism. (The only thing I don't believe is that they were ghosts. Demons masquerading as ghosts - no problem.)

As for its historical truthfulness, I imagine had there been no truth to it, it would have been debunked befo...more
Glen
I thought this was a good read ... It read in a believable way ... And it's free to download from Amazon on Kindle ...
Marts  (Thinker)
This book just got straight to the point, I think I'll call it 'The Hauntings of Esther Cox',or something like that since that sounds a bit more exciting.
To me its just like a compilation of journalist notes almost like, 'haunted house down the road', 'young girl possessed', 'manifestations evermore', 'don't go there'...

But in brief its just really a bunch of strange happenings with no closure to the whole series of affairs its like they all started and then one day all ended...
Rosann
It was boring, plus everytime a new character was introduced I had to read a autopsy of that characters personality, from the way the gleam or twinkle of her eyes looked, to the way she wore her hair.. both in sophisticated bun style to the girlish style of being loose and how it cascades down her back with bouncy curls.
I had to read about the certain colors of outfits they wore that complimented ... hope you get the idea here.
Reading pages upon pages of this WAS BORING!
A. Dinsmore
This book was an easy 20 minute middle of the night read. BUT it's one that might help you fall asleep rather than keep you up. The author writes this book more like a visual description than a novel. It would be like taking the closed captioning from a made-for-TV movie and turning it into a book. Or trying to.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrid. I did read the whole thing. But I suspect had the book been much longer, I might have given up.

In all it was boring.
Brandi
This book was written like a person who is observing someone else be haunted. I thought it was a nice story and interesting. I think anyone who likes a good ghost story or to read books that read like diaries would like this one. The only part I did not like was the fact that the page numbers were in the middle of the text so you would be in the middle of a sentence and come across a pg 48 in the middle of a sentence. Other than that it was a great story.
Sabrina
I found this as a free book via amazon and I do like a good ghost story and thought it is free why not give it a whirl.
Its a very short story, didn't take long at all to read but honestly all I can say is how boring. No suspense, no creepy factor, just simply plain boring. There was no ending as such either, one day the girl is haunted as such, then the next it all stops. Just a strange account but it was ok to read.
Dan
Very boring writing style, and absurd story. This novella definitely doesn't stand the test of time. I probably would have only given it one star except for the descriptions of Esther's initial haunting, which made me chuckle. When he described her as puffing up, and then deflating after a series of loud reports, I could help but think of a human whoopee cushion.
Julia Elaine Shumate
Decent

An okay story overall, but without a satisfying conclusion. A free book, quick to read. Worth downloading for the doctor's waiting room.
  • Haunted
  • House of Spirits and Whispers: The True Story of a Haunted House
  • Open Door Invitation
  • The Haunted Man
  • Ghosts of Rosewood Asylum
  • Itsy Bitsy Spider (Emma Frost#1)
  • The Evil Guest
  • Abbot's Ghost: A Christmas Story
  • The Book of Werewolves
  • Spiderstalk
The Great Amherst Mystery: A True Narrative of the Supernatural The Great Amherst Mystery - A True Narrative of the Supernatural The Haunted House A True Ghost Story The Haunted House Hubbell, History of the Hubbell Family, Containing Genealogical Records of the Ancestors and Descendants of Richard Hubbell, 1086 to 1915