Start by marking “Shadow of the Crown” as Want to Read:
Shadow of the Crown

Shadow of the Crown

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  401 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
When Teira Palmer's company relocates her from Utah to Denmark, she can't wait to see the magical place she heard so many stories about as a child. She also wants to discover more about her grandfather, Soren Pedersen, who died in WWII as an accused traitor to king and country, casting a shadow of shame on his family. Even through her bitterness, Teira is determined to lea ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Covenant Communications (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of the Crown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow of the Crown

Jennavier
Dec 03, 2012 Jennavier rated it liked it
When Tiera Palmer goes to live in her ancestral home in Denmark she says it's for work. What she'd hiding is a secret that almost died generations in the past. When her grandfather was branded as a traitor to the Danish Resistance Party after world war two, it was literally over his dead body. Since he's the only one who could refute the charges Tiera's mother and grandmother were left to suffer for his perceived guilt. Now Tiera wants to know the truth and powerful people want to stop her. With ...more
Casey
Mar 17, 2009 Casey rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I mean, the title and the description of the book sounded interesting, but there's that old saying about not being able to trust a book by it's cover that always makes you wonder. So I didn't really know what to expect when I started reading. This book got right into the story though which I love! It does have mystery and romance in it which is an extra plus too! The romance wasn't rushed though at times it was cheesy ( but hey, I can do cheesy)and the mys ...more
Heather
Jun 02, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
I found this book quite page-turning. I liked the main character and enjoyed the setting and the unique story. I didn't feel like the ending of the book was as strong as the beginning. (Grade: B).
Patricia
Mar 10, 2014 Patricia rated it liked it
Rating 2.5. I did some of scan-reading of the story. The story was OK. It seemed slow at times and sometimes a bit odd to me--strained credibility a bit--but overall it was okay.
Dawn
May 19, 2014 Dawn rated it did not like it
Unoriginal, flat writing and very cliche.
Karen
Sep 08, 2009 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
This novel is a little romance, a little mystery and a little history. The setting is in Denmark where the main character has come to work. The character's grandmother lives in Denmark and her grandfather was a WWII hero turned traitor. She (the main character) does some history diving to learn more about her grandfather and what happened when the Germans took over Denmark. Because I am a history buff, I loved the history portion of this story. A lot of the story was fairly predictable, yet it w ...more
Leann
Jun 05, 2016 Leann rated it it was ok
I liked the historical fiction part of this book. the romance was very cheesy. clean read
Debby
Jan 26, 2010 Debby rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, lds
When Teira Palmer's company relocates her from Utah to Denmark, she's very excited to return to her mother's native land and reunite with her grandma Grethe. Her explorations begin to uncover dangerous truths about her disgraced Danish resistance member grandfather. Her boss, Christian Tanner helps her out, joins the LDS church and falls in love - to simplify. Reasonably well done story for LDS romance - almost believable with unusual and interesting backdrop of Denmark and Danish history. Clean ...more
Becky Zabriskie
Apr 17, 2012 Becky Zabriskie rated it it was ok
I rarely listen to books on tape because I love to read them instead. However I was making a road trip the other day and needed to stay awake-so I borrowed this book from the library. I am not sure if it was the person reading the book or the actual book but I really didn't like it. It was so corny, the characters were annoying and the plot was dull. Some items in the book were so farfetched that I found myself just wishing to hurry and finish the stupid book.
Shannan
Nov 05, 2008 Shannan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
Hooray for Denmark and it's cool history during World War II. This was a very predictable love story/mystery but it was fun for me to read because it was set in Denmark and it was written by an LDS author.

I liked that when the main character was really scared one night she knelt down to pray. You don't read that everyday! Easy read...chick-lit.
Anita
Dec 11, 2008 Anita rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It had suspense, romance, mystery, adventure - all good things to have in a book. Teira goes to Denmark for work, but while she is there she tries to find out more information about her grandfather who worked with the resistance during World War II and was accused as a traitor after he died.
A very interesting story.
Nicol
Aug 17, 2010 Nicol rated it liked it
This was a so so novel but I loved hearing about how the nation of Denmark dealt with the Nazi's attempts to exterminate the Jews. I haven't researched it to confirm it's truth but I'd like to think that it is true and I enjoyed thinking that when a people come together in love and unity great things are possible even when it looks impossible.
Darla
Aug 26, 2008 Darla rated it liked it
(Genre:LDS Fiction/Suspense) It was an alright read. I did enjoy the details of what Denmark was like during World War II and how they responded to the Nazi threat and tried to protect their fellow countrymen who were Jewish. That was inspiring. I love good history. I hope the author was accurate on that :).
Susan
Sep 18, 2008 Susan rated it liked it
Her work sends Tiera Palmer to Denmark for a couple of months. While there she visits her grandmother and learns more about her grandfather who was the hero in many stories her mother told her while she was growing up, but was then accused as a traitor to king and country.
A romantic suspense story.
Debbie
Mar 21, 2010 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I just got done reading Jeri Gilchrist's book. I really liked it. I stayed up past midnight reading it. It is very entertaining. I would recommend it to everyone who wants to read a good story. The author based some of her story on things that her mother told her about growing up in Denmark.
Kristine
Sep 26, 2008 Kristine rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised at the level of writing for this book. Usualy an LDS fiction book is a little sloppy in the writing and the editing but this author writes well though a little predictible. It's a fun book that can be read easily and will make you feel happy. "I love happy endings"!
Karla
Jul 09, 2009 Karla rated it liked it
I was surpised by how much I enjoyed this book. I picked it randomly at the library because I needed something to listen to. It had romance, adventure, mystery and suspense. I loved all of the detail and history about Denmark. There were a few cheesey parts but overall a great read!
Susan
Mar 29, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
Teira Palmer is a wonderful character--she's smart, funny, and loves her grandma. Her instincts will prove her right about her grandfather. And, the shining knight will kill the dragons and offer "reality forever." Takes place in Denmark, and I wanted to be right there and see all.
Swhe641200
Apr 06, 2011 Swhe641200 rated it really liked it
GSB Story about a girl that goes to Denmark to work her family is from there her Grandmother still there her Grandfather had been marked as a traitor to Denmark as he was killed. She tries to solve the mystery and find the answer clear his name and falls in love. Good Storu
Lynette
Feb 07, 2009 Lynette rated it really liked it
This book caught my attention right away. It has action and romance, but it also tells about the Danish resistance during the Hollocaust and that grabbed my attention. It was interesting to read and now I want to find out more about that. I would recommend this book to everyone.
Shannon
Dec 07, 2008 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, mormon-books
The Lord has a hand in each of our lives, Teira finds this out when she moves to Denmark and wants to know more about her Grandfather who died during World War II. However, as she looks into the death of her Grandfather she find herself in an adventure that theatens her life.
Erica
Jun 19, 2013 Erica rated it liked it
This was a fun Suspense/ LDS romance that started out slow but drew me in as it went along. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a fun, easy, clean read. This is definitely not going to have a lasting impact on my life but for a quick, summer read, it was great.
Lisa
Credible mystery, likable characters. I'd like to take off work as much as they did. One of the reasons that I enjoyed this book could well be that it talks about Denmark and some of its history. Some of my ancestors are from there. It was an engaging read.
Shannon
Feb 16, 2009 Shannon rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds-fiction
There was excitement and some fun in the book, but I found it unbelievable also. The other thing that bothered me is I kept getting jarred from the storyline with what felt like a travelogue of the country. It would have been better with less of that.
Shayne
Jul 21, 2009 Shayne rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of Geri's that I have read and I think she is a fabulous author. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, the history and the easy way with which she carried the theme throughout the book. If you like lds romantic intrigue this is a must read.
Lynne
Oct 26, 2015 Lynne rated it really liked it
This is a fun romantic suspense mystery. Teira goes to Denmark for her job, but also to explore her family history and spend time with her grandmother. It's a fun book that involves a mystery surrounding her father during WWII. It was great.
Katie W
I think I'm just in the mood for holiday books, so I didn't feel it was great, but it was good. It's a history mystery--the main character is trying to solve a mystery from her family's past. It has a good amount of suspense and romance in it too.
Brenda
May 30, 2009 Brenda rated it really liked it
I thought this was an excellent book. I enjoyed the romance part more than the mystery however. Lots of fun historical facts woven neatly into the story. I loved her main character and thought she was warm, and sweet, and brave and strong.
Ashley
Apr 22, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books of all time!!! It's probably mostly because it takes place in Denmark! I think it was the perfect combination of family, love, and adventure! I could definatly read this book again maybe even three times
Lisa
Nov 07, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
I don't usually enjoy suspense novels, but this one was done very well - It kept me wanting to read to know what would happen next. And it had enough romance for me to want to keep reading it too since I'm a romance book person at heart.
  • No Time for Love
  • Lockdown (Saint Squad, #2)
  • Topaz and Treachery (Gems and Espionage, #10)
  • Dangerous Connections
  • This Just in
  • Undercover saint
  • Bloodborne
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • Methods of Madness
  • A Time To Die (Shandra Covington, #3)