Start by marking “Final Frontier (Classic Star Trek )” as Want to Read:
Final Frontier (Classic Star Trek )

Final Frontier (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  802 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Commander George Samuel Kirk was aboard the Enterprise under the command of Captain Robert April before his famous son was born. Starfleet has just been founded and the Enterprise has just been built, and is sent on its first mission. The mission takes the Enterprise into the heart of hostile Romulan territory, where cosmopolitical machinations and advanced weapons technol ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 434 pages
Published August 1st 1989 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Final Frontier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Frontier

Mary JL
Apr 18, 2013 Mary JL rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek and/or SF fans
This book contains the backstory of the first, secret voyage of the Enterprise. Captain Robert April and his executive officer, GEORGE Samuel Kirk, are sent into Romulan space for a secret mission.

I am not going to give spoilers but this is good Star Trek. Jim Kirk's father is an interesting character and his relationship with Captain April is well developed---inclduing thier conflicts.

Starfleet has just been formed so this book is set before the opening of the original series. It is a nice trip
I pulled this one off the shelf next because I've been ripping into Diane Carey lately, and she deserved a chance to redeem herself. She manages it here, because despite its many flaws, Final Frontier is a really fun and enjoyable read.

The switch from a first-person to a third-person narrator does wonders for Carey's writing style. It cuts down a little on the endless interior monologues that were so annoying in the Lt. Piper books.

The background and plot sequence are reasonable if perhaps a lit
Matt R.
It's been 20 years since I've first read this, and I probably love it even more now than I did then... I'm definitely picking up on things that I didn't when I was in high school. Besides the action-packed space battles, piano-wire tension, and superbly-written look at the Enterprise's maiden (and secret) first voyage, there's layers here that intrigue and delight me... the duel of wills and philosophy between Robert April and George Kirk is fascinating.

Though there's some contradictions between
Neil
I enjoyed this book. I had read it once before, back when it first came out. It has a good flow to it; it is broken up into two parts - a 'current' storyline and a 'past history' story line. The 'current' storyline takes place after the television episode "The City on the Edge of Forever" where Kirk is still mourning over the death of Edith Keeler and contemplating resigning from Star Fleet. The 'past history' story tells of the first unofficial mission of the Enterprise - she is going to be use ...more
Matthew Kresal
One of the problems of Trek novels being non-canon is that they can be easily superseded by screen (canon) Trek. Final Frontier, due to it being a quarter century old, very much has that problem in light of the prequel series Enterprise with its tale of Commander George Kirk, Captain Robert April and the Enterprise (the first starship) on its' first voyage in the early days of the Federation twenty-five years before another famous Kirk was in command.

That said, it's still good. It very much fel
Betsy
David King
"Final Frontier" by Diane Carey focuses on James T. Kirk's father, George Kirk and his early involvement with the Enterprise under the command of Captain Robert April. April, is an explorer and diplomat but he realises there are times when he will need someone with the mind of a warrior who will fight when needed and so he asks George Kirk to be his XO even if he does it via a rather unusual method.

The Enterprise itself is the first of the Constitution class of starships and is being rushed into
Jeremiah

A pretty ripping adventure with the first (and heretofore unknown) secret mission of the Enterprise. (before it even had a name). Captained by Robert April with George Samuel Kirk as his first officer, there are Romulans, saboteurs, spies, and some really well drawn characters.

I would have really liked to have seen this played out in video form.

Diane Carey has emerged as my favorite of the Star Trek authors.
J.P.
George Kirk's plot line was excellent, but I skipped over the James T. Kirk chapters, as they didn't seem important. The Sarah/April romance seemed like it was there just so they could say they had romance, as it didn't affect the characters or plot.
Mat
Sep 23, 2014 Mat rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trekkies only!
A bit over the top in some places, but great fun and a very interesting look at a distant past (relative to Jim Kirk's time). Trekkies only, of course!
Ski
A good read. Exciting. I always enjoy having some of the Star Trek voids filled in.
Cary Spratt
The secret first mission of the USS Enterprise (secret only because things go wrong and they end up somewhere they shouldn't be & almost start an interstellar war). Good story. Nicely developed characters. I've never read anything about Robert April or George Kirk, Sr before. I enjoyed this one.
Jonathan
I got a pile of star trek novels and decided to read some of them. This one was interesting to me. I liked a lot of elements about it and found it enjoyable to read if a bit light. I liked how they managed to bring in my favorite star trek aliens, the romulans.
Angela
I really enjoyed this story. The recognizable characters helped me feel right at home with the new characters being developed. It is an interesting way to look at Kirk's past. If you enjoy the original Star Trek series, you will enjoy this book
Travis
One of the earliest Trek books I read, and one of the first to focus on people other than Kirk and company.
A nice look back to when the Federation was in it's early stages. This is what the Enterprise TV show should have been.

Fredrick Danysh
This is a novel based on a Star Trek movie. A United Federation colonizing ship is adrift as the result of an ion storm. Time is running out for the 51 colonists as Commander George Kirk searches for a way to save them.
Glenn
A well-written look at the early days of the USS Enterprise. At the time, this book cemented Carey as a dependable author of Star Trek fiction, and who obviously valued the same things about the series as I did. Great fun.
Benjamin Plume
Really not bad. I waited too long to review it, but my memories are mostly positive. Only story I know of featuring Captain Robert April, which is a bit of fan service for those even nerdier than I.
David Melik
Zauberlehrling!
Ein guter klassischer Star Trek Roman. Sehr schön, werde ich sicherlich nochmal lesen in der Zukunft.
Bruce Emmerling
A great read about the early history of the Star Trek. While the storyline is now out of date due to the Enterprise TV show, the book is still a great read!
Kurt Vosper
Good Star Trek novel. Nothing spectacular but a good read for fans of the Enterprise.
Daniel McGill
Best action of any of any Star Trek novel.
Jason Potrzeba
A nice piece of Star Trek history.
Greg Lindsay
This was a wonderful story.
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
George Goode
George Goode marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Christopher A Flores
Christopher A Flores marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
  • Enterprise: The First Adventure
  • Strangers from the Sky
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • Time for Yesterday (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #2)
  • Timetrap
  • My Enemy, My Ally (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #1)
  • The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1)
  • Dreams of the Raven
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Uhura's Song
  • Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • Ishmael
  • The Tears of the Singers
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • Web of the Romulans
Diane Carey also wrote the Distress Call 911 young adult series under the name D.L. Carey.

Diane Carey is primarily a science fiction author best known for her work in the Star Trek franchise. She has been the lead-off writer for two Star Trek spin-off book series: Star Trek The Next Generation with Star Trek: Ghost Ship, and the novelization of the Star Trek: Enterprise pilot, Broken Bow.

For more
More about Diane Carey...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1) Best Destiny (Star Trek) Dreadnought! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #1) First Strike (Star Trek, #79; Invasion!, #1) Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)