Start by marking “Courageous Leadership” as Want to Read:
Courageous Leadership

Courageous Leadership

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,563 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Hardcover. Bubble wrapped and shipped within 24-48 hours.
Published August 1st 2002 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Courageous Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Courageous Leadership

Habitudes Book #1 by Tim ElmoreCourageous Leadership by Bill HybelsRenovation of the Heart by Dallas WillardThe Hidden Power of Prayer and Fasting by Mahesh ChavdaJust Courage by Gary A. Haugen
HRAC: Discipleship - 301
2nd out of 21 books — 1 voter
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieGetting Things Done by David AllenOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussNaked Determination, 41 Stories About Overcoming Fear by Gisela Hausmann
Motivational and Self-Improvement Books
485th out of 673 books — 764 voters

More lists with this book...

Ryan Reeves
I am judging this book based on what it bills itself as: a book on leadership. On that basis, the book does not deliver.

The biggest drawback to this book is that Hybels dwells too much on his own success, his own unique ministry, and his own style of leadership. Little of this can be applied universally. I also soon realized that Hybels has a penchant for dwelling overly-long on illustrations that no normal leader can connect with (examples include: whisking his inner core of leaders off on wee
Seth Little
I finished this one while vacationing at the beach, and I have to say I enjoyed it. Hybels is very different from me and not very different from some of my close friends. He's a doer, a self-described activist type, maybe even a pragmatist. I tend to identify more as a thinker (rather than a doer), and books from guys like Hybels tend to feel more like pep rallies than substantial content. Still, I think it's been a valuable read for me. I respect Bill Hybels and am glad to have given a listen t ...more
Cindy
This book was really helpful in understanding how fundamentally important it is to achieve balance; and explained a lot of great things about leadership.
Jocelyn
This book reads like a sermon: everything repeated about three or four times using different vocabulary; illustrations; Bible verses; meaningless adjectives like "wonderful" and "incredible" and "phenomenal"; unfortunate sentences like "Without vision, people lose the vitality that makes them feel alive." None of this is surprising, I guess, since Bill Hybels is a very successful motivational speaker.

He is also a proven leader, so that alone makes the book worth wading through, or skimming throu
Jason
I could spend quite some time if I wrote out all the things about this book that are worth reviewing. It really just needs to be read.
If you are a church elder, pastor, lay leader, etc - read it
If you are a leader in the business world - read it
If you are a leader of a family - read it.

While Bill is targeting church leaders and much of it focuses in that realm, so many of us that have leadership potential allow it to flounder...to dissipate because we don't recognize it, don't build it up and do
Craig Whibley
In all honesty, though I have to credit Bill Hybels as being an obviously successful leader, this book really failed to deliver in my opinion.
There was way too much anecdotal leadership examples given from his own experience, and I found myself unable to relate with much of what he talked about. Willow Creek is the third largest church in the United States with just shy of 24,000 members. Very few people can relate to leadership examples from a church that size.
I also found there to be a startli
Shanti
Again: love love love. This book is great because it's flat-out about Christian leadership. John C Maxwell is fantastic, but you have to apply his principles in a biblical way. Hybels spells it out for you. This book seriously challenged me to nurture my gift of leadership.
Zac George
This book had some good principles and challenges for Christian leadership. Hybels writes with lots of stories, which makes for a more enjoyable read. Overall I really liked it. He writes like a pastor/speaker though, which is sometimes annoying (repeated phrases, random idioms, etc). Ultimately I got used to it and still found this to be a very helpful book, especially as I currently work in vocational ministry.

My major complaint has to do with his whole mantra that the local church is the hope
Kevin Tucker
Dec 01, 2007 Kevin Tucker rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all leaders, all pastors, everyone who wants to make a difference in the world
I haven't finished yet, and I know this book is a 5 star. And yet in a way, it's a one star. It's a five because Hybels is such a great leader that you know that what he is talking about is true, and right, and can really make a difference in one's own perception of leadership. He gives wonderful stories about leadership and describes the successes that he has seen, not only in his own leadership, but in the leadership of those around him that he has raised up.

And it's a one star in that it hurt
Jacquelyn Bushnell
This book was given us (the volunteers) by the young adult pastors at my church. I am so thankful they decided to sew into our leadership skills by giving us this book because it was very insightful. I have so many take aways and different ways I have been putting to action what I have learned in this book.

Whether you believe you're a leader or not, I strongly recommend picking up this book!

If you're a pastor, I strongly recommend getting this book for yourself and your team!
Bill
Great book as always with Bill Hybels. Thoughtful, yet practical. Deep and challenging, but not so far above your head that you feel he is preaching something unattainable. Hybels shares great personal examples that show humility and honesty. A great read for leaders in all kinds of fields.
Tammy
This helped me grow in my leadership as I was a pretty under-developed leader when I read this. It taught me the importance of vision and what role it plays in leadership, and gave me a great foundation for building a team. I still use key concepts from this book in my leadership and the leadership I try to develop in others today.
Michael Vincent
Hybels is very encouraging and insightful and gives helpful illustrations. A worthwhile book on church leadership, though sometimes it is hard to relate to his unique and large ministry.
Anna Salahub
If that book came in perfect timing I might have been more impressed. But overall it is so good to learn from someone who has been in ministry for more than 30 years and preserved as humble, God-loving, and fired up for God. So I did get many many good tips on leadership.
We should remember that we always lead someone. Someone always watches us, even if that's just one person. So we should be careful about our own life. Not image, but true life. And true life can only be found in the close relat
Kate Nizienski
I'm almost finished with this one. I really enjoy it. Sometimes I would get the feeling that Bill Hybels thinks that his way is THE WAY to get things done and accomplished. And goodness it sure has worked for the development of WCA. But with the way the book is written it feels like an encouragement at the same time. I'm not a church leader, but I found a lot of valuable information for serving even on an individual level. The description of what a leader is, what's expected- in regards to chara ...more
Kevin Gray
Great resource on leadership. This is one I will return to over and over again.
Mike Denk
One of those books that makes you fell like a wise uncle is sitting you down and just pouring into you.
Brett
Recognizing the diverse callings of leadership, Hybels outlines a variety of leadership styles and developmental approaches. Despite this heterogeneity, Hybels understands that, whatever one’s calling, a leader is only as good as his or her vision. A leader must project a vision of hope and progress to all the activities of leadership, whether raising resources, constructing a team, or developing future leaders. Courageous Leadership offers a hopeful and experienced perspective on the task, char ...more
Heather Pulley
I'm going to go ahead and give up on this book. I just don't care. It's really a book about how Bill Hybels leads his mega-church, which is great, if you want to lead a mega-church or some other super huge enterprise. Not all leadership is this large-scale and I just couldn't relate to or get into much of what he was talking about. He's hugely successful and is obviously doing many things right, but as another reviewer put it, this is more like a memoir than a general leadership book.
David
Amazing, clear, and well-structured advice on church and ministry leadership from a guy who's been doing it - and doing it well - for 30 years. Hybels writes for popular consumption, but that doesn't mean the principles he espouses are necessarily easy. It's challenging, exciting, and a little nerve-wracking to think of implementing all that he suggests as necessary for a modern church or organization to thrive.
Nick
This book took a while to grow on me, but after the first four chapters I started to find it more my style. My main qualm is that Hybels writes from a Willow-centric perspective. At times it's a bit much, but that is Hybels' only claim to leadership fame. Aside from that, he gives some useful advice and leadership concepts based on his experience. If I could, I would give it 3 1/2 stars.
Samuel
If u want to know more abt leadership from a 30 yr worth, this book helps u to understand the behind the scenes of a church from its humble beginnings and how leaders can really be used to bring abt the change for the lord. Good suggestions by the author to explore and know more abt the str that God has given to u and how to tap into them.
Philip Esguerra
The book defines leadership in many forms. It gives me a wider perspective on how different types of leaders can contribute to a common goal or vision. Excellent book for those who wants to define what type of leaders they are and from that continue to develop without over-stepping other leaders. Highly recommended reading!!
Bledar
Some wise and well laid concepts. I especially liked the three 'C' for staff, the chapter on financial resources, the concept of compass leadership and self-leading, and the reflections on the leadership of Mother Theresa on the last chapter.
Linda White
The last few chapters were better than the rest because he used good teaching from other books about self leadership and individual connections with God and how we differ. The other principles were nothing new too me and there were way too many personal examples about willow and himself
Doug Price
A great resource on leadership but I closed it feeling like I was ready to lead a company rather than lead the church. Hybels certainly has a strong business philosophy in how church is carried out. Unfortunately I have a hard time seeing this philosophy anywhere in the New Testament.
Tobi
Herausfordernd, hinterfragend und motivierend.
Man muss nur von vorne bis hinten bedenken, dass Bill Hybles Amerikaner ist und eine sehr große Gemeinde hat und man deswegen einige seiner Erkenntnisse für eine kleine deutsche Gemeinde nicht passend sind.
Thomas Kinsfather
Hybles lives and breaths passion for the local church. Courageous Leadership is one of the best leadership books I've read. The many topics are each handled practically and passionately. Highly recommended for pastors and Christian leaders.
Tommy Kim
I was so moved by this book, I wrote a letter to the author, but I probably sent it to the wrong address. (just a po box address in small print on the back of the book) It's highly recommended for any current and prospective church leaders.
Albert Hong
Worthwhile read from someone who is clearly writing from experience. Appreciated his thoughts on types of leadership and types of spiritualities as a lens to identify God's "wiring" in us. The chapter on raising money stressed me out...
  • Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
  • Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples
  • It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
  • Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda
  • Spiritual Leadership
  • Sticky Teams: Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page
  • The Making of a Leader: Recognizing the Lessons and Stages of Leadership Development
  • The Purpose Driven Church: Every Church Is Big in God's Eyes
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
  • Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within
  • A Work of Heart : Understanding How God Shapes Spiritual Leaders
  • Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership: The Paradox of Personal Dysfunction
  • The Master Plan of Evangelism
Bill Hybels is the founding and senior pastor of Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Ill., and chairman of the board for the Willow Creek Association. The bestselling author of more than twenty books, including Axiom, Holy Discontent, Just Walk Across the Room, The Volunteer Revolution, Courageous Leadership, and classics such as Too Busy Not to Pray and Becoming a Contagious Christ ...more
More about Bill Hybels...
Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God Just Walk Across the Room: Simple Steps Pointing People to Faith Becoming a Contagious Christian Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs The Power of a Whisper: Hearing God, Having the Guts to Respond

“You're a leader. It's your job to keep your passion hot. Do whatever you have to do, read whatever you have to read, go wherever you have to go to stay fired up. And don't apologize to anybody. ” 11 likes
“My selection process is based on “three Cs”: first character, then competence, and finally chemistry with me and with the rest of the team. Character. Competence. Chemistry.” 2 likes