Start by marking “501 Great Writers: A Comprehensive Guide to the Giants of Literature” as Want to Read:
501 Great Writers: A Comprehensive Guide to the Giants of Literature

501 Great Writers: A Comprehensive Guide to the Giants of Literature

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Entertaining and informative, this collection of brief, informal biographies spans the centuries from Sophocles in ancient Greece to Harper Lee in America's Deep South. Along the way, readers will enjoy pithy biographical sketches of existentialists Albert Camus and Jean-Paul Sartre, French satirist Voltaire and Edwardian satirist Oscar Wilde, dramatists from William Shake ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Barron's Educational Series

To ask other readers questions about 501 Great Writers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 501 Great Writers

Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffBook Lust by Nancy PearlThe Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Peter Boxall
Best Non-Fiction Books About Books and Reading
52nd out of 380 books — 304 voters
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Peter Boxall1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die by Stephen FarthingWIN THE HEART OF A WOMAN OF YOUR DREAMS by Sahara SandersROMANTIC ACTIVITIES AND SURPRISES by Sahara SandersWAYS TO PROPOSE by Sahara Sanders
A List of Lists
28th out of 229 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Greg
Why 501? Why not 737 or 962?
Basically this is a great idea, and I'm regularly referring to it. Many more writers could have been included if the title of the book wasn't the determining factor. I think to have a handy reference book like this, forget the catchy title of 501 when there are six hundred and forty pages. Some entries get half a page, some get one page, some two pages, and some writers get four pages! A lot of pages are wasted by including full page images of old book covers or a ph
Arthur Cravan
The four stars could be anything. It could be five. It could be two. I mean, as a reference, it's kind of a five - the layout is nice, it's listed in chronological order (Which I find most helpful) & has some quotes, some key works to check out, a little review of the writer & their style.
The choices are... I mean, you can't really rate it on that. It's objective. (To an extent.) But having said that, a lot of these people are kind of part of the canon you'd wander into anyway, if you're
Andrei
Excellent reference book with biographies and book listings for each of the authors. A collective effort by a very talented group of individuals.
Myles
I've only seriously leafed through this four or five times since checking it out, but its clear to me that this has too little meat in it to serve as a decent reference to keep handy.

The books greatest recommendation is that the authors are all arranged by birthdate so when one flips through it you see contemporaries ranged together, promoting thoughts on the essentially collaborative effort that all literature is. At no point did the editors attempts to rank the authors in any way, which is bot
Fémi Peters
Une excellente encyclopédie où j'ai découvert de nombreux écrivains (et j'ai considérablement alourdi ma PAL!).
Le titre m'intriguait: pourquoi 501? La réponse est dans la préface: "l'espace de rêve demeure: il est tout entier contenu dans le 1 qui s'ajoute aux 500, comme dans le 1 des 1001 nuits. Il ouvre le champ des possibles, il laisse imaginer celui qu'on aimerait tant placer parmi les autres; il suggère que la liste n'est pas close."
Chaque biographie débute par un petit encadré de deux phr
Toby
After all, 501 is too few. It also profiles authors who are good but not great and there are notable absentees as well. Somerset Maugham for instance. Of course it focuses more on the Western authors. One of the nice elements in the book, is the highlighting of a sentence from a book written by the authors. This, is nothing, at least helps in building one's list of quotable quotes! It's an ok read in bed.
Ramona
I would recommend this book to all my fellow librarians. Its very informative and has good photographs too, its great really for browsing if you need to find something out fast...
Roberta
An interesting list of authors, although it focuses more on American and English literature. Their choices showed little knowledge about Brazilian literature for example. They chose to name our best writer, Machado de Assis, and two others that are not our best, but the most known abroad. Quality should be the most important factor. I can't help but wonder if they did the same to other nationalities.
Livia Gerk
O livro traz uma excelente coletânea dos grandes autores da história. Apesar de um foco maior na literatura anglófila, foi possível "passear" por todos os cantos do planeta e conhecer um pouco das temáticas e preocupações de cada tempo e lugar. O detalhe que fez toda a diferença pra mim e que considerei um carinho especial foi o acréscimo na edição brasileira de 24 autores brasileiros que fizeram a diferença na nossa literatura.
Neil
An interesting, but not spectacular browse book. I love the big pictures of all the authors in question, and any list of great writers like this starts me jotting down new entries in the "to read" journal. However, the book seems to fail as it gets closer to the modern era, including too many folks for what seems like diversity issues or for being controversial rather than being writers who will truly hold up over time.
David Hilton
Each writer's life and work is summarized by a different contributor. Some are pretty good. Others are, well, ugh. But, this book was so much fun to read. It creates a hunger to read and so many specific books to go out there and grab. A reminder that we don't always need to lunge for newest, latest books. Great writers throughout history have left us a legacy.
Dianne Merridith
This is a good reference book or for dipping into to find new writers or books. I found the organization of the book by birth date of the author to be a bit confusing.
Robin
Great book! It introduced me to writers I have never heard of and books I can't wait to read.
Greg Converse
Read this book, read every book mentioned within. Forget GoodReads.
Bob
Fun reference.
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
John
John added it
Aug 08, 2015
Yasser Negm
Yasser Negm marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
C
C marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Miranda (M.E.) Brumbaugh
Miranda (M.E.) Brumbaugh is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2015
Carol Tudela
Carol Tudela marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Ahmed
Ahmed marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Lucas Gomes
Lucas Gomes marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Christopher Dean
Christopher Dean marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Great Books for Every Book Lover: 2002 Great Reading Suggestions for the Discriminating Bibliophile
  • Defining Moments in Books: The Greatest Books, Writers, Characters, Passages and Events that Shook the Literary World
  • The Smithsonian Book of Books
  • Modern Library
  • 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
  • Classics for Pleasure
  • Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction
  • Beowulf on the Beach: What to Love and What to Skip in Literature's 50 Greatest Hits
  • How to Read a Novel
  • The Book of Lost Books: An Incomplete History of All the Great Books You'll Never Read
  • A Great Idea at the Time: The Rise, Fall, and Curious Afterlife of the Great Books
  • Book Finds: How to Find, Buy, and Sell Used and Rare Books