Start by marking “It Came from Beneath the Bed! (Tales from the House of Bunnicula, #1)” as Want to Read:
It Came from Beneath the Bed! (Tales from the House of Bunnicula, #1)

It Came from Beneath the Bed! (Tales from the House of Bunnicula #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  416 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Dear possible reader of this book,
I want to be a writer, just like my uncle Harold, who wrote a bunch of books about our friend Bunnicula. So I wrote this story. And boy! Did I ever get into trouble! My friend Delilah stopped speaking to me because I put her in my book. Uncle Harold stopped speaking to me because I didn't put him in my book. A writer's life isn't easy!
Published June 1st 2003 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about It Came from Beneath the Bed!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Came from Beneath the Bed!

Candice Snow
Apr 23, 2015 Candice Snow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nostalgic-reads
Focusing on a new set of characters, this story takes place in the same household as Bunnicula did. I found it to be just as funny as the original, and the illustrations really helped bring the book together by adding atmosphere.
Ellie
Aug 14, 2013 Ellie rated it really liked it
Being a fan of the Bunnicula series as a kid (heck, I still like them), how could I resist picking up this book when I saw it at the library? Very quick and entertaining, not to mention funny. :)
Chelsea Hagen
Feb 06, 2015 Chelsea Hagen rated it really liked it
This book was very cute and funny. It had some hints on writing that was helpful. It also made it extra funny for me because I own a dachshund:)
Liam Mcevoy
In the story “It came from under the bed” Howie the dachshund and Delilah, a fellow dachshund have to investigate under Pete’s bed because of the mysterious science experiment he has been boing and some of the chemicals fell behind his bed frame. (Spoilers ahead). Eventually Howie finds that he chemicals that fell under his bed and spilled on Pudgykins a teddy bear then causing him to grow giant and wreak half the city. Eventually they find out that he was just mislead and confused and is a nic ...more
Amber Thomas
Jan 15, 2016 Amber Thomas rated it it was ok
I read this because one of my students (a non-reader) said he loved it and wanted me to read it. Well,you can't say no to that! I liked it for what it was worth. James Howe is talented, even in books like this, where it's clear he's writing badly on purpose. I was amused because it was written in the POV of a puppy Howie, and he is getting literary criticism from Harold (the narrator of Bunnicula) as he's writing his story. It's cute, it's funny, it's geared towards a third grade boy, and that's ...more
Dolly
Jan 15, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
We really enjoyed the Bunnicula series by James Howe; our girls just love them. We've also read the books in the Bunnicula and Friends series and a few of the books in the Harold & Chester series, so the characters in these stories feel like old friends.

This is the first book in the Tales From the House of Bunnicula series, books that are written from Howie's point of view. The story line is very conversational and is written as a combination of journal entries and chapters from a story tha
Suki
Sep 01, 2010 Suki rated it liked it
Shelves: 12th-grade
It was such a relaxing book to read. What's interesting about this book is the author includes his Uncle's comments on his stories and he tries to fix it. He shows the process of him writing his stories and his creative mind of extraordinary stories. In his journals, he writes in the perspective of a child and he adds in humors in it. Sometimes i feel the way he does because sometimes writing is fun but it could be difficult to write a good piece of writing. It takes patience and time to develop ...more
Benjamin
Sep 18, 2014 Benjamin rated it really liked it
An extremely funny read. This book provides a great opportunity to teach kids about the art of writing.
Lynn
May 01, 2011 Lynn rated it it was ok
My 5 year old has begun to explore the chapter books at the library, and this one caught his eye. Since I had read the Bunnicula books by James Howe, I thought he might enjoy this book. However, as we read the book and were halfway through it, it became too intense for him, and he asked that we stop reading it because he was getting scared. I believe we will come back to this series when he is older though.
Mckinley Davis
It came from beneath the bed, by James Howe
I previously read bunnicula and it is just as good, it's an easy read and I guarantee you will have a good time reading it. This book is about a puppy who wants to write so badly like his uncle and struggles to write a story of his own, but when he does it IS truly a very good story. I love this book because it shows that it is okay to follow your dreams.
McKinley Davis
Feb 12, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
We did this book as a read aloud per student request. They enjoyed this book very much. It was a bit hard for my language learners, but they learned all sorts of new vocab: dust bunnies, potion, doomed, etc. This was my first Bunnicula book, and it probably would have helped to read one of the first book before reading this one.
Hayley Knighten
Just finished reading this to my 9-year-old. We read the whole thing in one sitting since he wouldn't let me put it down. He loved it and was rolling on the floor laughing. I was very happy to see Howie as a character in the book and see Chester and Harold again too. A fun read for parents and kids, I highly recommend.
Stacey
Nov 17, 2012 Stacey rated it liked it
My 7 year old read this book for his November book report so I figured I would have to read it too to be able to help him. Cute enough story but I think some kids might find the switch between the story and the writer's journal difficult to follow at times.
Earline
Aug 07, 2015 Earline rated it really liked it
A fun new series with the characters from the Bunnicula books. I liked the journal format and thought it was a good way to show the creative writing process. I also really liked the Howie's actual mad scientist story. Hilarious.
Chris Eboch
Jun 03, 2008 Chris Eboch rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids, writers, anyone
I love James Howe's Bunnicula books for their zany characters and wacky humor. This series, narrated by young dachshund Howie as he figures out how to write to wild sci-fi and horror stories, are especially fun for authors.
Kathy Davie
Oct 15, 2010 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, children
Ohmigod...crack up, roll around on the floor funny! Has a lovely time making fun of romance novels. Combine that with being from a dog's perspective and you will flat out roar with laughter!
Callie
Oct 19, 2013 Callie rated it liked it
This book was super silly. It was a very fast read and good if you need to have a book read in a short amount of time. It is very funny too. It made me laugh a lot. Over all, I give it a three.
Ratforcekids
This series of laugh-out-loud humor written by Howie, a dog, will have you excited to read each book. Tales from the House of Bunnicula is a sub-series of the ever-popular Bunnicula books.
Sydnee
Apr 14, 2008 Sydnee rated it liked it
It was cute! Parker, and especially Ellee who loves anything to do with dogs, loved this funny story told by the little Dachsund puppy from the original Bunnicula series.
Alyssa
Apr 17, 2009 Alyssa rated it really liked it
this was definitely an interesting start for this series. it's very interesting to see how it began and how everything fell into place and especially how it changed!
Danielle Sonye-reising
Sep 25, 2013 Danielle Sonye-reising rated it really liked it
It met my 8 yr. old son's silliness standard and got him interested in a new series. Hope the other ones are similar.
Katy
Aug 04, 2015 Katy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-ya
A fun read for kids. I'm still more of a fan of the original series but this is a unique second series.
Honest Bleach
Nov 13, 2012 Honest Bleach rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 7+
Recommended to Honest by: nobody
this series is good for 7+ year olds aslo read bunnicula book 1 of another series that is related to this!
Donald Sharp
Feb 02, 2013 Donald Sharp rated it it was amazing
This a great book to listen to, in fact I would recommend that over actually reading it. -You'll thank me.
Tj
Mar 09, 2013 Tj added it
Shelves: 5th-grade, 4th-grade
I read this for the first time in 4th grade. I thought it was so cool, and I wanted to read them all!
Sara Rechis
Feb 25, 2011 Sara Rechis rated it really liked it
The kids really enjoyed this one. A quick read and we'll probably read more in the series.
Simon
Aug 20, 2009 Simon rated it it was amazing
I liked the part when the koala bear came out from under the bed. This was an exciting book!
Ellen
Perfect for those who like animal stories or who like stories that are just a teensy bit scary.
T60n3
Nov 08, 2013 T60n3 rated it liked it
Yes, the Bunnicula series is better than Game of Thrones. Marinate on that for a moment...
Skylar Burris
Nov 05, 2009 Skylar Burris rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Amusing, and a good way for young kids to learn the basic "rules" of creative writing.
  • Andrew Lost On the Dog (Andrew Lost #1)
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
  • Welcome to the Bed and Biscuit
  • I Was a Third Grade Science Project
  • A Toad for Tuesday
  • The Rat Brain Fiasco (Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys, #1)
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • The Big Blueberry Barf-Off! (Rotten School, #1)
  • There's a Frog in My Throat!: 440 Animal Sayings a Little Bird Told Me
  • The Legend of Spud Murphy
  • Be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days!
  • The Ferret's a Foot
  • Dracula vs. Grampa at the Monster Truck Spectacular (Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, #1)
  • Glade (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #3)
  • The School Is Alive! (Eerie Elementary #1)
  • The Big One-Oh
  • Dracula Doesn't Rock N' Roll (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #39)
  • The Mystery Horse (The Boxcar Children, #34)

James Howe has written more than eighty books in the thirty-plus years he's been writing for young readers. It sometimes confuses people that the author of the humorous Bunnicula series also wrote the dark young adult novel, The Watcher, or such beginning reader series as Pi
More about James Howe...

Tales from the House of Bunnicula (6 books)
  • Invasion Of The Mind Swappers From Asteroid 6! (Tales From The House Of Bunnicula, #2)
  • Howie Monroe and the Doghouse of Doom (Tales From the House of Bunnicula, #3)
  • Screaming Mummies of the Pharaoh's Tomb II (Tales from the House of Bunnicula, #4)
  • Bud Barkin, Private Eye (Tales From the House of Bunnicula, #5)
  • The Odorous Adventures of Stinky Dog (Tales From the House of Bunnicula, #6)