It Came from Beneath the Bed! (Tales from the House of Bunnicula, #1)

It Came from Beneath the Bed! (Tales from the House of Bunnicula #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  284 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Dear possible reader of this book,
I want to be a writer, just like my uncle Harold, who wrote a bunch of books about our friend Bunnicula. So I wrote this story. And boy! Did I ever get into trouble! My friend Delilah stopped speaking to me because I put her in my book. Uncle Harold stopped speaking to me because I didn't put him in my book. A writer's life isn't easy!
Published June 1st 2003 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

Liam Mcevoy
In the story “It came from under the bed” Howie the dachshund and Delilah, a fellow dachshund have to investigate under Pete’s bed because of the mysterious science experiment he has been boing and some of the chemicals fell behind his bed frame. (Spoilers ahead). Eventually Howie finds that he chemicals that fell under his bed and spilled on Pudgykins a teddy bear then causing him to grow giant and wreak half the city. Eventually they find out that he was just mislead and confused and is a nic...more
Ellie
Being a fan of the Bunnicula series as a kid (heck, I still like them), how could I resist picking up this book when I saw it at the library? Very quick and entertaining, not to mention funny. :)
Dolly
Jan 15, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
We really enjoyed the Bunnicula series by James Howe; our girls just love them. We've also read the books in the Bunnicula and Friends series and a few of the books in the Harold & Chester series, so the characters in these stories feel like old friends.

This is the first book in the Tales From the House of Bunnicula series, books that are written from Howie's point of view. The story line is very conversational and is written as a combination of journal entries and chapters from a story tha...more
Suki
It was such a relaxing book to read. What's interesting about this book is the author includes his Uncle's comments on his stories and he tries to fix it. He shows the process of him writing his stories and his creative mind of extraordinary stories. In his journals, he writes in the perspective of a child and he adds in humors in it. Sometimes i feel the way he does because sometimes writing is fun but it could be difficult to write a good piece of writing. It takes patience and time to develop...more
Lynn
My 5 year old has begun to explore the chapter books at the library, and this one caught his eye. Since I had read the Bunnicula books by James Howe, I thought he might enjoy this book. However, as we read the book and were halfway through it, it became too intense for him, and he asked that we stop reading it because he was getting scared. I believe we will come back to this series when he is older though.
Mckinley Davis
It came from beneath the bed, by James Howe
I previously read bunnicula and it is just as good, it's an easy read and I guarantee you will have a good time reading it. This book is about a puppy who wants to write so badly like his uncle and struggles to write a story of his own, but when he does it IS truly a very good story. I love this book because it shows that it is okay to follow your dreams.
McKinley Davis
We did this book as a read aloud per student request. They enjoyed this book very much. It was a bit hard for my language learners, but they learned all sorts of new vocab: dust bunnies, potion, doomed, etc. This was my first Bunnicula book, and it probably would have helped to read one of the first book before reading this one.
Hayley Knighten
Just finished reading this to my 9-year-old. We read the whole thing in one sitting since he wouldn't let me put it down. He loved it and was rolling on the floor laughing. I was very happy to see Howie as a character in the book and see Chester and Harold again too. A fun read for parents and kids, I highly recommend.
Stacey
My 7 year old read this book for his November book report so I figured I would have to read it too to be able to help him. Cute enough story but I think some kids might find the switch between the story and the writer's journal difficult to follow at times.
Alison
The bottom line? I will not be reading any more Tales from the House of Bunnicula books.

Read the rest of my thoughts here.
Chris Eboch
Jun 03, 2008 Chris Eboch rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids, writers, anyone
I love James Howe's Bunnicula books for their zany characters and wacky humor. This series, narrated by young dachshund Howie as he figures out how to write to wild sci-fi and horror stories, are especially fun for authors.
Kathy Davie
Ohmigod...crack up, roll around on the floor funny! Has a lovely time making fun of romance novels. Combine that with being from a dog's perspective and you will flat out roar with laughter!
Callie
This book was super silly. It was a very fast read and good if you need to have a book read in a short amount of time. It is very funny too. It made me laugh a lot. Over all, I give it a three.
Ratforcekids
This series of laugh-out-loud humor written by Howie, a dog, will have you excited to read each book. Tales from the House of Bunnicula is a sub-series of the ever-popular Bunnicula books.
Sydnee
It was cute! Parker, and especially Ellee who loves anything to do with dogs, loved this funny story told by the little Dachsund puppy from the original Bunnicula series.
Alyssa
this was definitely an interesting start for this series. it's very interesting to see how it began and how everything fell into place and especially how it changed!
Danielle Sonye-reising
It met my 8 yr. old son's silliness standard and got him interested in a new series. Hope the other ones are similar.
jack
Nov 13, 2012 jack rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 7+
Recommended to jack by: nobody
this series is good for 7+ year olds aslo read bunnicula book 1 of another series that is related to this!
Donald Sharp
This a great book to listen to, in fact I would recommend that over actually reading it. -You'll thank me.
Tj
Mar 09, 2013 Tj added it
Shelves: 5th-grade, 4th-grade
I read this for the first time in 4th grade. I thought it was so cool, and I wanted to read them all!
Sara Rechis
The kids really enjoyed this one. A quick read and we'll probably read more in the series.
Simon
I liked the part when the koala bear came out from under the bed. This was an exciting book!
Ellen
Perfect for those who like animal stories or who like stories that are just a teensy bit scary.
T60n3
Yes, the Bunnicula series is better than Game of Thrones. Marinate on that for a moment...
Skylar Burris
Amusing, and a good way for young kids to learn the basic "rules" of creative writing.
Tiffiny
Another Bunnicula book read by my 10-yr-old son. Lots of laughing again. :)
Deborah
A silly, fun book that would be great for a young but very bright reader.
Natalie
Made up story written by a dog. So funny though. Made me LOL a LOT.
Isabel.s.f
I read this with my mom. It was so funny. Its very short but so good.
Gretchen
cute story to read to/with children who want a dog story.
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
  • Andrew Lost On the Dog (Andrew Lost #1)
  • The Wounded Buzzard on Christmas Eve (Hank the Cowdog, #13)
  • The Big One-Oh
  • The Dragon in the Sock Drawer (Dragon Keepers, #1)
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • The Ink Drinker
  • Curse of the Scarab (Big Honey Dog Mysteries, #1)
  • The Animal Shelter Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #22)
  • The Wizardology Handbook: A Course for Apprentices
  • Be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days!
  • Waggit's Tale
  • Scout (The Puppy Place, #7)
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Voodoo Vultures from Venus (Ricky Ricotta, #3)
  • Soupy Saturdays with the Pain and the Great One
  • Elska (Horse Diaries, #1)
  • Amber Brown Is Green With Envy

James Howe has written more than eighty books in the thirty-plus years he's been writing for young readers. It sometimes confuses people that the author of the humorous Bunnicula series also wrote the dark young adult novel, The Watcher, or such beginning reader series as Pi...more
More about James Howe...
Bunnicula (Bunnicula, #1) Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #2) The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3) The Misfits (The Misfits, #1) Totally Joe (The Misfits, #2)