Start by marking “A Night Without Stars” as Want to Read:
A Night Without Stars

A Night Without Stars

Maria Tirone is frightened. She's in the hospital, about to undergo open heart surgery. And no one-- not her friends, not her family, not even her doctors-- can tell her what to expect. Then she meets Donald, badly disfigured in a fire years before. The other kids in the hospital call him Monster Man, and tell Maria to stay away from him. But Maria sees the human being hid ...more
Published April 1st 1996 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about A Night Without Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Night Without Stars

Jessica
Oct 27, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites from my childhood. Guaranteed tear jerker every time. Great book. And I learned how to call someone a fat ass in Spanish :)
Sarah "Mir"
I first got this book when I was 13 and I thought it was going to be another one of those YA novels that you read and it just seems like it's the same as the rest of them out there.

But I was really surprised to find that this dug deeper than that. It really hit home because I, personally, have spent a lot of time in the hospital for surgeries in such when I was younger. Sometimes I was scared to death, and other times I wondered when I could leave. To this day I still do not like doctors, and wi
Featherheart
Aug 08, 2008 Featherheart rated it liked it
Eh, it was okay. Donald was believable, but the friends were not. Good thing they weren't major characters. For better stories about health issues, try Lurlene McDaniel books. Someone Dies, Someone Lives is about heart transplant surgery. It's the first in a series, but can also stand alone. A later book in the series, also about heart surgery, is She Died Too Young.
Marian
Oct 26, 2010 Marian rated it liked it
Shelves: readit, 2010
I suspect that if I'd read this when I was younger, I would have bumped it up at least another star. As it is, too much time has passed and chunks of the book feel dated.

That said, the friendship between Maria and Donald works. Some might argue that the adults are kind of useless, but not all of them are. The nurse who explains what's really happening to Maria and Lorna are both examples of this. Maria's father may not be the most expressive adult in the book, but it makes sense given who he is
Awilma Acosta
Dec 07, 2009 Awilma Acosta rated it it was amazing
Maria Tirone is frightened. She's in the hospital, about to undergo open heart surgery. And no one. Not her friends, not her family, not even her doctors, can tell her what to expect. Then she meets Donald, badly disfigured in a fire years before. The other kids in the hospital call him Monster Man, and tell Maria to stay away from him. But Maria sees the human being hidden behind Donald's scars and his bitterness, and finds in him what she needs most of all -- answers to her questions, and a fr ...more
Trista
Jun 03, 2012 Trista rated it liked it
This is a story about a girl, Maria, who needs an operation to repair a hole in her heart. While she is in the hospital, she meets a boy, Donald, who has been badly disfigured by a fire. Maria and Donald become friends amid both of their health and personal struggles. This is somewhat of a dated story (written in 1983).
La Toya
Jan 30, 2014 La Toya rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favourite books as a child. It has always stuck with me. I'm sure if I re-read it now and tried to be objective it would probably be less than a 5 seeing as I'm a little more discerning now lol. However I'm going to rate it as how I would have back when I first fell in love with it :)
Danielle
Jul 08, 2008 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
I loved this one when I was a kid, and recently reread it because it seemed appropriate to do so.

Maria has a VSD, or a hole in her heart, goes into the hospital to have open-heart surgery, and befriends Donald, a young burn victim. Lovely little story.
Lynnett
Jun 29, 2014 Lynnett rated it really liked it
A very good story for young adult readers just starting to venture into stories with more depth. Easy read and was my favorite in 5th grade. I know it has been awhile, but I will always remember and like this one.
Mindy
Jul 29, 2011 Mindy rated it it was amazing
The last time I read this book was a long time ago. But I still remember the entire thing and I read it at least 3 times. I thought it had a great story line and, for my age, was very appropriate despite the content of being sick in a hospital
Krista
Jan 07, 2009 Krista rated it really liked it
I read this book as a child and remember loving it. I need to read it again to really remember it but it did leave an impression on me and made me more sympathetic towards people who were sick or had disabilities.
Katie Crum
This is one of my all time favorite books from when I was growing up. Yet every time I read it again I fall in love all over. So simple yet such a tearjerker I love it !!!!
Shelby adams
this is a very good book.
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Tracy Cooney
Tracy Cooney rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2009
Sarah Beth
Sarah Beth rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2010
Alison
Alison rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2013
Jenessa Murray
Jenessa Murray rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2013
Daphne
Daphne rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2017
Happywings
Happywings rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2009
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2011
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2013
Sadie Schmitt
Sadie Schmitt rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2011
Nadia
Nadia rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2012
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2007
Brayden Hobbs
Brayden Hobbs rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Divine Dance: If the World Is Your Stage, Who Are You Performing For?
  • The Nine Days Queen (Beneath the Crown, #1)
  • Cassie Binegar
  • Nightmare (Dangerous Times, #2)
  • The Case of the Mixed-Up Mutts (The Buddy Files, #2)
  • Horrible Harry on the Ropes
  • A Lot of Otters
  • Famous All over Town
  • Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices
  • The Sphinx at Dawn: Two Stories
  • The Treasure of Skeleton Reef (Wishbone Mysteries, #1)
  • Con-Fidence
  • The Silver Pencil
  • 3, 2, 1, Liftoff! (Level 1) (LEGO City Adventures)
  • Eternity Falls
  • The Resistance (Animorphs, #47)
  • Anina ng mga Alon
  • The Awful Apple Orchard (Shivers, #7)

James Howe has written more than eighty books in the thirty-plus years he's been writing for young readers. It sometimes confuses people that the author of the humorous Bunnicula series also wrote the dark young adult novel, The Watcher, or such beginning reader series as Pi
More about James Howe...