Start by marking “Boat Ride with Lillian Two Blossom” as Want to Read:
Boat Ride with Lillian Two Blossom

Boat Ride with Lillian Two Blossom

Mixing vibrant color with black-and-white pencil drawings, the author/illustrator explore the magic of myth in a fantastical boat ride that sweeps Will and Mabel into the sky.
Published May 4th 1989 by Philomel

To ask other readers questions about Boat Ride with Lillian Two Blossom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boat Ride with Lillian Two Blossom

Lisa Vegan
Well, I loved the illustrations, especially of the wolves and the polar bear and some of the other animals, and the frothy water when the boat lands.

Even though Polacco mentions at the beginning of the book, her Michigan roots, and the Indian (Native American) names of places so prevalent in that state, the story did little for me. I’ve heard such myths told much better.

I love Polacco’s books and appreciate the way she uses family history. Here, she tells a story (tall tale in this case) about h
Brittany Cullen
This book was really unique and fun to read. The sister asked her brother all sorts of questions on the sun, rain, wind, and moon and he didn't answer any of them but then Lillian Two Blossom appears and gets on their boat and takes them on a journey and explains all the answers to the sisters questions, almost in a legend/ cultural way. When they get back to land the lady disappears and the sister is left confused. I thought it was interesting how the lady just left when she got back to land an ...more
Kristine Hansen
Did the boat ride really happen? It's a good question. Like all the other good questions in this book. I loved the folklore shared with the children to give all the answers that Mabel asks. The mix of fantasy and reality (knowing that so many of these stories are based entirely on the author's life) makes them really fun to read - a glimpse into the not so distant past in Michigan.
"I Dunno" is William's answer to his little sister, Mabel's incessant questions. "Where Does the Wind Come From, Why does the Moon Look Cold?, Who Brings the Night?" and on and on. Old weather-worn, Lillian, says she knows the answers to all those questions and more and she takes them on a magical, mythical boat ride for the answers.
Mary-Haven Von Lehmden
Feb 15, 2016 Mary-Haven Von Lehmden rated it really liked it
I loved how Polacco tied her family roots into the Folklore of this story. It leaves a lot open for interpretation and lets your imagination run! The illustrations are beautiful and make you feel like you are on the journey with Mabel and William!
May 04, 2013 Allison rated it liked it
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you:
Lauren Schultz
Lauren Schultz rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Kathy rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Rachel rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2011
Sam rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2008
Chiara B
Chiara B rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Becky rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2013
Nina Hill
Nina Hill rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2014
Kim Villarreal
Kim Villarreal rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Sandra Nagy
Sandra Nagy rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2011
Katie rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2015
John rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2011
Heidi rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2008
Sage rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2013
Sara rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2012
Norman Milstein
Norman Milstein rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2007
Sarah rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2010
Hanna Morgan
Hanna Morgan rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2011
Laura Ficarra
Laura Ficarra rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2015
Rory rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2015
Gray rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2008
Paige rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2015