Start by marking “Boat Ride with Lillian Two Blossom” as Want to Read:
Boat Ride with Lillian Two Blossom

Boat Ride with Lillian Two Blossom

Mixing vibrant color with black-and-white pencil drawings, the author/illustrator explore the magic of myth in a fantastical boat ride that sweeps Will and Mabel into the sky.
Published May 4th 1989 by Philomel

To ask other readers questions about Boat Ride with Lillian Two Blossom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boat Ride with Lillian Two Blossom

Brittany Cullen
This book was really unique and fun to read. The sister asked her brother all sorts of questions on the sun, rain, wind, and moon and he didn't answer any of them but then Lillian Two Blossom appears and gets on their boat and takes them on a journey and explains all the answers to the sisters questions, almost in a legend/ cultural way. When they get back to land the lady disappears and the sister is left confused. I thought it was interesting how the lady just left when she got back to land an ...more
Jackie
"I Dunno" is William's answer to his little sister, Mabel's incessant questions. "Where Does the Wind Come From, Why does the Moon Look Cold?, Who Brings the Night?" and on and on. Old weather-worn, Lillian, says she knows the answers to all those questions and more and she takes them on a magical, mythical boat ride for the answers.
Lisa Vegan
Well, I loved the illustrations, especially of the wolves and the polar bear and some of the other animals, and the frothy water when the boat lands.

Even though Polacco mentions at the beginning of the book, her Michigan roots, and the Indian (Native American) names of places so prevalent in that state, the story did little for me. I’ve heard such myths told much better.

I love Polacco’s books and appreciate the way she uses family history. Here, she tells a story (tall tale in this case) about h
Mary-Haven Von Lehmden
Feb 15, 2016 Mary-Haven Von Lehmden rated it really liked it
I loved how Polacco tied her family roots into the Folklore of this story. It leaves a lot open for interpretation and lets your imagination run! The illustrations are beautiful and make you feel like you are on the journey with Mabel and William!
Kristine Hansen
Did the boat ride really happen? It's a good question. Like all the other good questions in this book. I loved the folklore shared with the children to give all the answers that Mabel asks. The mix of fantasy and reality (knowing that so many of these stories are based entirely on the author's life) makes them really fun to read - a glimpse into the not so distant past in Michigan.
Kinga
Jun 28, 2011 Kinga rated it liked it
This is Polacco's first children book. It is a Native American (Indian) story retold. Nice illustrations (although you can tell she is not as confident in her drawing skills yet as she becomes later), but the story itself did not do too much for me.
Allison
May 04, 2013 Allison rated it liked it
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
Monica
Sep 10, 2015 Monica rated it did not like it
Didn't like these young children going off with a stranger.
Wish
Wish marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Austin
Austin rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Katie Newton
Katie Newton marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Angela
Angela added it
Jul 19, 2016
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Ethan
Ethan rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Constance Dinsmore
Constance Dinsmore marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Abby Turner
Abby Turner marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Lauren Schultz
Lauren Schultz rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Anija
Anija marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Lynn Snead
Lynn Snead marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Abby Tyler
Abby Tyler marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Teresa Law
Teresa Law marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Rory
Rory rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Shari Barber
Shari Barber marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Omnilegent_Bibliophile
Omnilegent_Bibliophile rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2015