Start by marking “Rechenka's Eggs” as Want to Read:
Rechenka's Eggs

Rechenka's Eggs

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,558 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
A warm tale of love and and the unexpected from the bestselling author of The Keeping Quilt. Old Babushka is preparing her eggs for the Easter festival when she takes in Rechenka, an injured goose, who shows her that miracles really can happen. A Reading Rainbow Feature Title. Full color.
Published March 19th 1996 by Puffin Books (first published March 28th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Rechenka's Eggs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rechenka's Eggs

Ronyell
Rechenka

When I was reading Patricia Polacco’s books, I was interested in knowing more about how Patricia Polacco studied Russian and Greek iconographic history in the Royal Melbourne Institute, which along with her interest in painting Ukrainian eggs, inspired her to create this story! “Rechenka’s Eggs” is a Russian tale by Patricia Polacco about how a talented old lady named Babushka finds an injured goose one night and she soon discovers that the goose now named Rechenka, lays eggs that are not your
Lisa Vegan
Dec 30, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3-8 year olds; for Easter reading; for those who appreciate nature
Oh, so cute. This is a lovely fantasy story. It’s about a woman who paints award winning Ukrainian painted eggs. She saves a goose wounded by a hunter, and this delightful story goes from there. In order to avoid spoilers, I can’t really say much about what happens, but it’s a sweet story with a sweet ending. The illustrations of the painted eggs are wondrous, as are the illustrations of the caribou, geese, woman, the woman’s dwelling, and the festival. There’s a lovely, not too heavy handed, mo ...more
Kathryn
Apr 03, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Lovely Easter tale with a Russian flavor. The decorated eggs are gorgeous, and the tale of enjoying the miracles of spring is touching and timely.
Dolly
Jan 21, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We are slowly making our way through Patricia Polacco's books. We picked this one out because of the gorgeously decorated eggs on the cover; we wanted to compare this story with the book The Easter Egg Farm we've recently read. The stories were very different, but have a similar plot twist that is fantastic and pretty much impossible.

We most enjoyed the cultural references to Russia (like the native pronounciation of Moscow as Moskva, the religious icon, and the onion-domed buildings) and the s
Julie
Jan 04, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
I read this for the first time to my daughter in a doctor's waiting room and was ridiculously touched. The words and the gorgeous illustrations seamlessly and equally convey a beautiful, simple message that no one can read too much. LOVE this book. One of my faves.
Amy Edwards
Mystical book about a goose laying magically decorated eggs. Second Patricia Polacco book of the day. We enjoy her books, but it was not lost on me that both of our selections today had a subtle dig against bird-hunting.
Candice
Apr 18, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she's older
Shelves: picture-books
An old Russian tale of kind old woman Babushka and her beautiful painted eggs. Babushka's eggs are so beautiful that they win the competition in Moskva every year. One winter day Babushka finds an injured goose which she names Rechenka and brings into her home to nurse back to health. Rechenka lays eggs for Babushka's breakfast, but one day she jumps up on Babushka's work table, upsetting Babushka's paints and ruining her eggs. What can Rechenka do to make up for this? It's a beautifully illustr ...more
Barbara
This is one of Patricia Polacco's older picture books, published in 1988 and set in rural Russia. Kind-hearted Babushka spends many hours painting eggs that she plans to bring to the Easter Festival. She's delighted by the approach of the caribou and nurses back to health a wounded goose that she names Rechenka. She knows that the goose will join the other birds once it has healed, but before it does so, it accidentally ruins her paints and cracks the eggs she has painstakingly embellished. Thes ...more
Rosa Cline
Jun 23, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, reading-rainbow
This is a remarkable story about an elderly woman who can make very beautiful drawing and painting on egg shells. She makes them to sell at the market. one day she finds a goose and makes friends with her... but once the goose gets better she destroys all of her eggs so she has nothing to sell. But something wonderful happens each day the goose lays the most beautiful decorated eggs for the woman. The women although doesn't want to knows that the goose needs to be turned back out to the wild but ...more
Marci
May 29, 2008 Marci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patricia Polacco is of Russian/Ukrainian ancestry and loves to share her heritage with her young readers. Her story is delightful and meaninful and her illustrations perfect. As in the story, Patricia likes to paint decorative Ukrainian eggs. This would be a wonderful story to share with children before decorating Easter eggs. But in truth it's wonderful to share at any time.
Victoria Pickel
Apr 26, 2016 Victoria Pickel rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a beautiful book that emphasizes the importance of caring for all creatures. The woman in this story rescues an injured goose and nurses the goose back to health. During their first encounter, the goose accidentally destroys the delicate eggs that the woman has been decorating for a local fair. The woman fears that she will not be able to decorate more eggs in time for the festival but the goose repays the woman's kindness and lays several beautiful eggs for her.
I love the message in thi
Janet Balletta
Mar 28, 2016 Janet Balletta rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely Russian story of a Babushka (grandmother in Russian) who lives in the woods. The story takes place just before Easter. One morning, Babushka goes outside and finds a goose who has been shot by hunters. Babushka takes the goose home to nurse it back to health and names her Rechenka. In the meantime, Babushka is busy painting beautiful eggs for the Easter Festival and Rechenka accidently breaks all of the eggs. Everything seems lost until Rechenka begins laying extraordinary eggs ...more
Loraine
This delightful Russian children's fantasy story relates the story of new life at Easter through the eyes of Old Babushka. Ms. Polacco's illustrations definitely add to the enjoyment of this book.
Meg McGregor
Feb 26, 2015 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This beautifully crafted story will delight readers, both young and old!

I taught this story at Easter, to my elementary students,and they always enjoyed it!

Old Babushka finds magic, in what others might call ordinary.

She delights in having the caribou come up to her house, to feed from the fresh grasses, she has placed in baskets for them.

She is happy to help Rechenka get better, after the goose is shot down.

She calls the eggs Rechenka lays, all glistening with color, from the inside out, a mira
Maria
Apr 25, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing
I love Patricia Polacco's books. This one is a favorite. We read it every Easter season. Being of Ukrainian decent, I love to read her stories because my kids can relate since our language & culture is similar. It's nice to have that written down.

For the same reason, I love Jan Brett's "The Mitten." It's a classic Ukrainian folk tale retold.

Using the words Babuska & Baba for Grandmother, just as my kids do for my Mother, is nice. None of their American friends have heard the word before
Robert
I purchased this at Triple Oaks nursery in Franklinville, NJ. I had taken a craft lesson with the nursery to learn how to make Russian eggs. I was no good at the task, but purchased this wonderful story nonetheless.
****

Polacco can tell a story. Here she spins a new spool off the old yarn of goose who laid a golden egg. Set in oldtime Russia, the babushka's kindness is rewarded. Such lovely illustrations that accompany the text!
****
My students really took to this story this year. It's nice to be
Gale
Sep 11, 2013 Gale rated it really liked it
THE EASTER GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING

Charmingly told and illustrated this gem reads like a Russian fairy tale. I had the privilage of hearing this gifted author speak at a seminar in CA, so I was eager to enjoy her talents first hand. Old Babushka (Granny) is famous in the environs of Moscow for her prize-winning decorated Easter eggs. When she shows compassion and rescues an injured goose she is rewarded by an egg each day--bigger than normal chicken eggs too. However, upon recuperation the clum
Jackie
Dec 05, 2014 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Babushka paints beautifully intricate eggs worthy of praise and admiration. She intends to take them to the Easter Festival in Moskva to display them, hoping to win a prize. One day, she takes in an injured goose and lovingly coaxes it back to health. Feeling much better, the goose goes exploring and accidentally breaks all of Babushka's lovely eggs. Filled with remorse, the goose lays an exquisite egg each day to replace the ones broken. These will be Babushka's new entry at the fair.
Katrina Cole
Mar 31, 2014 Katrina Cole rated it really liked it
I thought this story did a good job of sharing some of the culture and traditions from Russia. I remember making Easter eggs like these with my older cousins when I was a child. My only complaint is that the beginning of the book portrays hunting in a negative way. I liked the woman's caring spirit, but disagree with the negative message that is given towards hunters. However, the cultural significance and wonderful illustrations still earn this title four stars.
Shannon Brasher
Sep 16, 2015 Shannon Brasher rated it it was amazing
Rechenka’s Eggs is a great story for Easter time. It follows Babushka, an old lady who paints beautiful Ukrainian painted eggs and a injured goose she nurses back to health, Rechenka. I love the illustrations in this book and the bold color choices. The story is a great story to tie in at Easter time, discuss other cultures (Russia and Ukraine,) as well as reverence for all life.
Inhabiting Books
Every year old Babushka paints eggs to sell at the Easter festival. One day, when a wounded goose falls from the sky, Babushka takes her in, tenderly nurses her back to health, and names her Rechenka. When the goose accidentally breaks all of Babushka's eggs that she labored all winter to paint, Rechenka makes amends by providing a miracle.
My girls liked this story.
Whole And
May 07, 2014 Whole And rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books

Visually, stunning.

The story, a bit sad, lonesome with pockets of miracles and joy.
Simple contentment and unexpected gifts, healing, loss, letting go and receiving.

A story weaving many of life's expressions into one, leaving us feeling humbled and grateful.
Katie
This may be one of my favorite Patricia Polacco books yet. Love the story of this woman who paints the most beautiful eggs and cares for the animals living around her. A luminous story--don't pass this one up!
Linda Lipko
Aug 08, 2014 Linda Lipko rated it really liked it
Polacco is of Russian/Ukrainian heritage. Many of her books hold the title Babushka (word for grandmother). This book centers of the love of nature, caring for the wild, and embracing talents. Taught years ago, Babushka continues the love of painting beautiful Ukrainian Easter Eggs. Wehn Rechenka, a wounded goose enters her life, she cares for her. Unfortuantely, after she finishes a basket of hand painted eggs, Rechenka mistakenly breaks them.

To repay her misdeed, Rechenka provides one multicol
Mar 13, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Hard to give this four stars. Wish there were 3.5. I loved the story, but I felt like Polacco's illustrations were rushed. She is more talented than this.
Natalie Reed
Jan 15, 2016 Natalie Reed rated it liked it
Love the pictures of the eggs in this book. There is an episode of Reading Rainbow on the book and you see Patricia Polacco making an egg in it.
Debra  Golden
Apr 05, 2016 Debra Golden rated it really liked it
Like the rest of her stories - a message of kindness and giving combined with gorgeous illustrations.
Laura Harrison
Apr 04, 2015 Laura Harrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe my favorite of all Polacco's books. Glorious story, glorious illustrations.
Carole
Jun 07, 2014 Carole rated it it was amazing
A lonely old woman rescues an injured wild goose and nurses her back to health. Every day the goose lays an egg for the old woman. The old woman is known for and has won contests for her extraordinary painted eggs. One day the goose accidently breaks her painted eggs ; the old woman is upset because she was going to enter them in a contest. From that day on, the goose lays an extraordinarily beautiful egg every day which the lady enters in the contest and wins. The goose is healed and flies off ...more
Rosemary
Apr 12, 2014 Rosemary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
A lovely book. I like to read it to my class at Easter.
  • The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush
  • Tree of Cranes
  • Perfect the Pig
  • The Golden Egg Book
  • The Easter Egg Artists
  • The Patchwork Quilt
  • Borreguita and the Coyote (Reading Rainbow Books)
  • Martina the Beautiful Cockroach: A Cuban Folktale
  • Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins
  • One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale
  • Woody, Hazel and Little Pip
  • Follow the Drinking Gourd
  • Mama, Is It Summer Yet?