Start by marking “The Other Mother : A True Story” as Want to Read:
The Other Mother : A True Story

The Other Mother : A True Story

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A woman's love for the child she gave up for adoption.
Published August 31st 1992 by Soho Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Mother , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Mother

Kim
I read this years ago when it first came out. And then I saw the Lifetime movie. And then I (naively) tracked down the author in the days prior to the Internet (1995) to tell her how very much I loved her book. Seriously. I contacted the publisher who told me where she lived (can you believe it?). I then called 411 and provided her hometown and her last name. Despite my stalker-like tendencies, she was nothing short of gracious.
Her perspective as a birthmother was the first I'd ever heard, besi...more
Rhonda Rae Baker
Powerful...Heartwrenching...Inspirational...Challenging!

This memoir brought me to tears on many occasion...especially the second half although the first was horrifyingly accurate with the era that it happened.

My heart went out to Carol in SO many ways! I think that a personal letter will do her more justice, but I'm blessed to have read a story where the child wasn't aborted...(-: Even though her son was adopted...at least he was allowed to live!

I rejoiced upon her search and the openness of th...more
Eva Leger
Feb 01, 2009 Eva Leger marked it as to-read
Sadly, I'm sticking this back up on a shelf until a later date. I'm hoping the lack of connection I feel is due to my current mood and nothing else. Usually a well written book about adoption can get me interested every time. I can't call this not well written because I haven't read enough.
I'm hoping to get back into it another time and if I can't then I can't. I will give it another shot though. I'm somewhat upset because I was really looking forward to this.
Tina
Its awesome that she had a successful reunion with her birth son. It is a special, delicate relationship, it was refreshing to read the journey that isn't always roses. Thank you for sharing your story.
Debbie Lemaire
I am one of those birth mothers who was hidden away when I was 18 years old to give birth to my child, a boy, who was given up for adoption in 1978...the end of an era...where women were shamed and coerced by society and their parents to give up their children. 35 years later it still has a huge effect on me. This book tells MY story...and it is heart wrenching. I only wish the adoptive mother could read our point of view.
Dina
could have been my story except mine hasn't turned out the same way hers did so far....
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Sheena Ann
Sheena Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Jburke305
Jburke305 marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Jill Sansone
Jill Sansone marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Jordanka Mircheva
Jordanka Mircheva marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Laurie
Laurie added it
Apr 04, 2014
Irena Milanova
Irena Milanova marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
MAFO Read
MAFO Read marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
500 Great Books B...: The Other Mother - Carol Schaefer 1 2 Jul 21, 2014 07:13PM
Grandmothers Counsel the World: Women Elders Offer Their Vision for Our Planet Searching ... An Ancient Tear Southern Comfort