Start by marking “Missing Mary: The Queen of Heaven and Her Re-Emergence in the Modern Church” as Want to Read:
Missing Mary: The Queen of Heaven and Her Re-Emergence in the Modern Church

Missing Mary: The Queen of Heaven and Her Re-Emergence in the Modern Church

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Was Vatican II right to downgrade the Virgin Mary? This fall marks the fortieth anniversary of the final session of Vatican II (1962-65) at which the Roman Catholic Church brought itself "up to date"--and, asserts Spretnak, fired the Virgin Mary as Queen of Heaven, demoting her to being "just like us," merely the first Christian. Spretnak, a liberal Catholic who agrees wit ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Missing Mary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing Mary

Awallens
This book reviews the Virgin Mary's history in the Catholic church and why she is not discussed much anymore. It stems from a decision at Vadican II where the church tried to modernize its image. One of the steps the church took was to reduce Mary's pressence in the church. Spretnak reviews this decision on the Catholic Churches' part and the harm it has done to Catholicism as a whole, and to Catholic women and men who want to worship mary in particular. It was an interesting look at a problem I ...more
Bruce Morton
Charlene Spretnak's language and analysis put modern Catholicism on its heels. Her vantage point of goddess theology misreads the evidence regarding early veneration of Mary. Her proposal of a "cosmic Mary" goes far afield of papal thought. As a result her book reveals the pressure points Catholicism has faced since Vatican II. She opens wide the question that grows in our day (even beyond Catholicism): Do we follow Jesus or (in some way) Jesus and the Goddess?
Richard
Spiritual ecologist, feminist Charlene Spretnak's very interesting book on Mary, the Virgin Mother of God's emergence as Catholicism's answer to goddess worship; her banishment as Catholicism's answer to goddess worship; and her re-emergence as Catholicism's answer to goddess worship. Those Catholics - never satisfied. Ms. Spretnak's done her homework, writes well, and presents a compelling history. Worth the read if you're interested in these things.
Margaret
Jan 28, 2009 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Persons interested in Mary, mother of Christ
This was a book that I read as part of a full semester independent study of the differences between the Lutheran and Catholic Churches. I wrote a detailed research paper on Marian Devotion. This was one of the best books that I read during that whole study.

It contains annotations and underlines through out. It was a fabulous read, and I'm excited to have it back on my shelf after it's long term loan to my sister for more than three years. *grin*
Robin
I liked the idea of this book (reconceptualizing Mary as a goddess and more of a key player in Christianity) more than I liked the actual book. I found it to contain a mind-numbing amount of info relating to Catholic bureaucracy that didn't interest me.
Matthew
The original cover art was much better, but the author thoughtlessly vetoed it. She was easily the most demanding I worked with.
Olga
Learning to pronounce a word "Marian" and trying to see whether I can use this word and the word "I" in one sentence :)
Amy
Amy added it
Dec 15, 2014
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Kate Pennington
Kate Pennington marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Emma
Emma added it
Jul 28, 2014
sara
sara marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Elizabeth R.
Elizabeth R. marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Serahae
Serahae marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Wench
Wench marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Kim Reinhard
Kim Reinhard marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013
Shanen Odinssong
Shanen Odinssong marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2012
Libby
Libby added it
Jul 20, 2012
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2012
Dee
Dee added it
Jun 24, 2012
Ashley Howd
Ashley Howd marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2012
Lost Goddesses of Early Greece: A Collection of Pre-Hellenic Myths The Politics of Women's Spirituality: Essays by Founding Mothers of the Movement The Resurgence Of The Real: Body, Nature, And Place In A Hypermodern World States of Grace: The Recovery of Meaning in the Postmodern Age Relational Reality: New Discoveries of Interrelatedness That Are Transforming the Modern World