Start by marking “The Captain of Her Heart (The Buchanan Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Captain of Her Heart (The Buchanan Saga, #1)

The Captain of Her Heart (The Buchanan Saga #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  1,323 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
The year is 1777. As the brooding mists of war settle over a stark American battlefield, Captain Ritcherd Buchanan yearns for his native England—and for Kyrah Payne, the woman he loves. Wounded and disheartened, he eventually returns home, only to have Kyrah torn cruelly away from him and deported for a crime she didn’t commit. Desperate to bring her home, he joins a band ...more
Published January 28th 2004 by Crosswalk Books

To ask other readers questions about The Captain of Her Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Captain of Her Heart

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëPersuasion by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie MeyerSense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
CLEAN Romance Books
414th out of 2,056 books — 1,765 voters
Edenbrooke by Julianne DonaldsonPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenMore Than Scars by Sarah BrociousBlackmoore by Julianne DonaldsonDrops of Gold by Sarah M. Eden
Clean/Secular/Non Religious Reads
201st out of 310 books — 119 voters

More lists with this book...

May 11, 2009 Autumn rated it it was amazing
Another AMAZING novel series that captures your heart and attention from the first chapter... this is the next series I am rereading of hers. It was one of my favorites and I really grew to love the main character and all the trials she faced.
Feb 03, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing
Book 1 of the Buchanan Saga.

This is one of my favorites. It has a great deal of adventure and, of course, romance. Though all her books have the "happily ever after" ending, this book leaves you craving more and wondering what will happen in the future of these characters. Brilliantly written and captivatiNG, a must for everyone who loves a great adventure to curl up on the couch with.
Mar 05, 2008 Maile rated it it was amazing
Another amazing romance novel, but one that is full of family drama that ends up all working out in the end. Couldn't put it down once I picked them up. I was finished with them before I even gave birth to Kalena. I would stay up late just to finish the books. This is the series that started me reading.
Mar 22, 2008 Kaycee rated it really liked it
Sometimes Anita Stansfield's writing drives me crazy. This book is no exception. However, the storyline is still quite intriguing. Cheesy, as always, Stansfield creates intensity without being morbid or dirty or distasteful. I love a good clean read! This comment goes for the entire series, but I do love it!
Mar 16, 2009 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Just to be clear I don't love Anita Stansfield books as a general rule. In fact, I stopped reading the Gables series, mid book, all together. But, that being said I did really like the Buchanan Saga, they are worth reading and are not at all churchy like her other books are. This one actually makes no reference to her LDS faith.
Jun 30, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
I loved the time and setting. The story captivated me from the beginning. Kyrah and Ritcherd grow up together and naturally fall in love. I was not familiar that England had such a strong aristocratic caste in the 1700s--parting the two an ocean away. The ending leads right into the sequel.
Jan 31, 2010 TJ rated it really liked it
Such a wonderful story that teaches true love can withstand ANYTHING and prevail.
Mar 23, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it is pre-LDS culture, so it isn't overly cheesy and fluffy like alot of her predictable modern setting books. It was action packed, unpredictable, mystery and full of great emotion and surprises. An easy read.
Sandie Mixa
Aug 12, 2010 Sandie Mixa rated it it was amazing
I really liked this one. It was different, they knew each other as children and grew together, forming a strong bond. It was also cool how they grew up as English citizens and found themselves in America during the Revolution and became sympathetic to the patriot's cause.
The dynamics between their parents were unusual too and I like that he had to stand up to his mother and eventually forgive her. I want to read the sequel, but haven't found it yet.
Chris Meikle
Jul 10, 2012 Chris Meikle rated it did not like it
This book is horrible!! Never have I read a book with so much crying, sobbing, weeping, tearing, etc... It was both the hero and the heroine. Yuck! Mop my kitchen floor with the buckets of tears. She also repeated herself over and over. You read the same account two or three times. It was as if she was trying to make the book big enough to publish and she had no brain cells left to come up with a story line. I cannot recommend this to anyone.
What an intense read! So much suspense I had to finish even when I already had an idea of what would happen. A lot of introspection, but still the story moved quickly. I loved how she developed the characters, they aren’t perfect, make mistakes, and even pay the consequences for them. There are some very triumphant moments in the dialogue when characters have to make a stand against evil, or when friends need to provide help.

This was my first book by Anita Stansfield; apparently one of her ‘gene
May 31, 2012 Wendy rated it it was ok
I hate, hate, hate when books are broken up into series without some resolution in each of the books.

The writing wasn't great. I was honestly bored in parts of the book and skimmed pages just trying to finish and figure out what happened. But I never did find out because the book only wraps up one little thread. Kyrah drove me crazy. She created so much drama, looking everywhere for Ritcherd to rescue her, only to reject him each time he showed up. I was thrilled when Daisy finally told her to
Jul 04, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
This is a very intense story that is hard to put down all the way through. I really liked looking at the American revolution through the eyes of British characters who didn't understand it at first, but grew to appreciate the American cause. The characters are strong and strong willed. I am anxious to learn how their lives progress is the next book.
Teya Peck
Oct 07, 2013 Teya Peck rated it really liked it
It wasn't really my Favorite. I had misdeeds, but the illustration of deep profound love is quite remarkably delve into in the book. The depth of true, emotional and eternal love is the foundation of this book. I got frustrated and had a hard time with the constant trials, but nothing of that companies to the passion words expression of heart to heart feeling this book invoked. That was truly powerful.
Laura Bueno
Jul 06, 2012 Laura Bueno rated it it was amazing

I thought I couldn't love a book by stansfield as much as the Gable Faces East, but I believe I love this series just as much if not more. I love the sailing aspect of it and the character Garrett. Must read! I also like it that it's not set with lds characters. I am lds but I don't constantly need to read about them. Lol.
Aug 23, 2012 Michele rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it
This was recommended by a friend and read mainly for enjoyment. It was just that--enjoyable. I usually try to challenge myself to read things that are more substantial but it was nice to read something that didn't take too much thinking. Since the friend also gave me the next book in the series I read that as well.
Nov 22, 2013 Mandy rated it it was ok
It's been a long time since I read an Anita Stansfield book. After she and I's reunion I've decided she should change her name to Anita Cheesefest. I felt like this author glazes over critical points in the story and then goes on and on over details that are irrelevant to the story. I found myself doing a lot of skimming. And it drove me nuts the entire book, that she spelled Richard "Ritcherd." I will not be picking up one of her books again.
Jamie Stephenson
Dec 27, 2013 Jamie Stephenson rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite book! I typically hate historical romances but Anita Standsfield writes the story in a a way that makes you feel that you are there witnessing the heartache and love of the characters. I will never grow tired of reading this book.
Jan 01, 2014 Charissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
This story takes place in England and the American Colonies during the Revolutionary war. A love between two young people is put on hold when Ritcherd is called up to serve for England in the war. Three years pass before he returns wounded. But his girl has been irrevocably changed by circumstances in his absence, and feels unworthy of his love after her father’s suicide and subsequent degradation by others in the community. Ritcherd does all in his power to restore Kyrah’s faith in herself and ...more
Betty Ann Baer
Feb 01, 2014 Betty Ann Baer rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Poor person meets rich person. Buchanan goes off to war of England against colonies. Poor girl loses everything. Buchanan comes back. Mother hates girl. Mother has girl deported. Buchanan spends months looking for her. Many set back happen during book. It is an over dramatized drama that goes on forever.
Nov 17, 2014 Becky rated it liked it
haven't read a Stansfield book in a while, but I thought this one had a shot since I prefer her non-LDS based stories. The first half of the book was good and then it spiraled into a Stansfield no-no. Warning: spoil alert- why is it with her books that if sex occurs just once the girl always end up pregnant? Any time there are 2 individuals that should be together she tends to put someone else in between, usually marrying them to the "wrong" person first. The absolute worst case scenario does n ...more
Feb 14, 2015 Malauna rated it it was ok
The spellings the author uses for the main characters is distracting and feels out of place for a novel set in 1770s. The hero continually tells the heroine that he won't let any harm come to her when things are out of his control.
Apr 04, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
I love anything written by this author. I have read some pretty "heavy" books lately, and I pick up her books if I want a comfortable book, good story, and a book I don't want to put down. She is a great storyteller.
Sep 03, 2015 Mignon rated it liked it
I almost gave up on this one a few times. So much drama! It was never ending. It did get better by the end, but I feel like the book could have been half its length if they would have gotten to the point. Just talk about your problems instead of throwing fits and pouting for days.
Sep 30, 2015 Barbara rated it it was ok
Some parts of the story were really lovely, mostly at the beginning. The initial friendship was interesting and promising, but things started to fall apart once the characters grew up. The writing was a little simplistic - like it was written for younger readers. The show, don't tell rule for authors was broken pretty constantly which made it a little hard to really immerse myself and get lost in the story.

I had a hard time falling in love with the hero because he was incredibly dramatic and emo
Dan Masterson
May 01, 2016 Dan Masterson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

This book has such an interesting plot and unexpected twists. I love the way she writes and there is no questionable scenes. She brings the characters to life. Love it.
Aubrey Chaves
May 19, 2016 Aubrey Chaves rated it liked it
I really loved some parts of this book but most of it was just. so. annoying. I felt a little jerked around- it was like the frustration of the Romeo and Juliet ending- but dragged out and repeated so many times through the whole book, it got so old. As much as I'd like to know what happens, I just don't think it's worth it.
Susan Tietjen
Sep 27, 2016 Susan Tietjen rated it liked it
I have a hard time sometimes with Ms. Stansfield's storytelling. Her characters are always compelling, and her plot and theme are fascinating, but for me she tells too much of the story in narrative rather than allowing the story to unfold through her characters' eyes and voices. It was worth reading it, but I have to say I was a little disappointed with the beginning of the book, and the ending dropped me flat. I know it's a "Saga" and will continue, which is a saving grace, but I think it need ...more
Oct 22, 2016 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I couldn't read this book fast enough to see what would happen! Loved it
  • The Topaz (The Bracelet Series, #3)
  • Ariana: A Gift Most Precious (Ariana, #2)
  • A Forever Love (Unexpected Love, #3)
Anita Stansfield, the LDS market's #1 best-selling romance novelist, is an imaginative and prolific writer whose romantic stories have captivated her readers.
"With sales approaching a half million, Anita Stansfield has clearly found a niche in this market," said Nicole Martin, Publicist for Covenant Communications. "Her popularity stems from her ability to empathize with and write about the issues
More about Anita Stansfield...

The Buchanan Saga (5 books)
  • Captive Hearts (The Buchanan Saga, #2)
  • The Captain's Angel (The Buchanan Saga, #3)
  • Hearts Crossed (The Buchanan Saga, #4)
  • The Captain's Rose (The Buchanan Saga, #5)