Start by marking “A Promise of Forever” as Want to Read:
A Promise of Forever

A Promise of Forever

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,259 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Bryson and Ilene Davis have it all-a wonderful temple marriage, five beautiful children, a secure and happy future. Then, overnight, their lives are forever altered by two words: breast cancer. Suddenly, their passion for life-and for each other-is deeply affected by the reality of Ilene's fragile hold on mortality.

In A Promise of Forever, Anita Stansfield has woven a mas
Published January 1st 1997 by Covenant Communications Inc

To ask other readers questions about A Promise of Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Promise of Forever

Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
134th out of 466 books — 418 voters
Fablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleGrip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon MullRise of the Evening Star by Brandon MullSecrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull
Best of LDS Fiction
218th out of 272 books — 245 voters

More lists with this book...

Diana Ware
So you say, why if these books are only ok do I keep reading them? Good Question, my friend keeps giving them to me and asking me how I liked them, They are not that well written, nor do they keep my interest at all times, I am not "pulled-in" like many books I read - but I have came to relize that these books to serve a purpose and are loved by many people. In my reading I'm sure if I had read them years ago, I would have loved them, however I have read many "happy every after books" and I have ...more
Amy
I liked this book, but it's one you cry the whole way through.
Karina
I think I would actually give this book 3.5 stars. Definitly my least favorite of this series. I did feel like I learned a lot more about what people with cancer go through, I gained a lot more empathy for them just by understanding it more. I did enjoy reading it for the most part, but I probably cried through the first half of the book reading about emotions the family was experiencing. To me it was a bit depressing, realistic, but depressing. The second half wasn't near as emotional, but it w ...more
Rebecca
This is the story of a woman who is diagnosed with breast cancer. It tells the story of her family and how they deal with the impending loss and the aftermath of losing someone to such a horrible disease. at times, this book brought tears to my eyes. At the same time, there is the story of a new love and Anita does a great job of tying in happiness where most think would just be devastation.
Kaycee
Oh my gosh!! Want a tear-jerker? I've read this book probably four or five times and I bawl my head off every time. It is pretty emotionally intense. Like always with Anita Stansfield the things the characters say to each other seem unrealistic and overly cheesy, but I love her books anyway!
Julia
I was very touched by this story. I had no idea that Bryson would come to love and care for his late wife's sister. It brought on a whole new meaning for me about what it could mean for someone to love, lose, and then love again. Another favorite of mine by Anita Stansfield.
Cristina
Apr 23, 2008 Cristina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves LDS-romance books
This was another great book by Anita Stansfield but this one made me cry. It was very touching and makes you think about how short this life really is and how much we probably take the people we love for granted. It is a really fast and easy read, and a little sad, but a great book.
Janaca
I enjoyed reading this book. It opened my eyes to all the emotion and trauma involved with cancer. The only relative of mine that has had cancer was my grandma. I can't imagine having a spouse die from this horrible disease!
Dacia
I cried a lot reading this book. What I really like about this book is how it illustrates that everything in life happens for a reason and in the end we're stronger and happier people than we ever thought we could be.
Shauna
A lot of her books get a little overkill in the emotional scheme of things. Sometimes I just want to yell at the characters to get over it. This one hit me as a little truer to life and I really enjoyed it.
Laurie
Apr 02, 2008 Laurie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
This book really touched my heart, I loved it even though I cried and cried! I learned a lot from it and it helped me to have a different perspective on many different things about life, love and marriage.
Heidi
Sep 01, 2008 Heidi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Meghan
This book brought a great pain to my heart for the people in it and the trials that they went through. I was able to put myself in their places and to feel their pain as if it were my own.
Alice
I really think I cried the entire book as this amazing family dealt with the trial of breast cancer, not once but twice. I can't even imagine how families really have to go through this!
Maggie
A masterful plot that will satisfy from beginning to end. You will find romance, undying love, tragedy, surprise, renewal, and a keen insight into the challenges and blessings of life.
Chelsea Raadgep
The best part of this book is on page 168. This book also made me cry in spurts throughout the book, and I just completely broke down at the very end. It's an amazing book.
Annemarie
This one was very hard for me to read. I think it was because it's about a lady with cancer. It was hard for me to get into it. I like her books, but this one I just didn't.
Nola
This was a very touching and inspiring novel. It helps you see that there is still some hope and comfort in a devistating situation.
Kimberly Yates
Definitely one of my favorites. This book helped me to realize that I have more Charity than I thought I did. *The pure love of Christ
Ramona
I liked the book but I like a good fantasy, or a book where things are pretend, this was not those things. Very real and depressing.
Alexis
This one was also very sad as the wife learns she has breast cancer. I finished it in one day because it was such a page turner!
Liesl
Apr 01, 2008 Liesl rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good LDS romance novel
Recommended to Liesl by: Laurie
Shelves: lds-fiction
The Anita Stansfield books get a little too sappy here and there in my opinion, but they are definately a good fun read.
Melissa
Jan 15, 2011 Melissa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
Typical mush from Anita. Why do her characters have to cry page after page. I always fell depressed while reading her books.
Christina
I usually cry when I read this particular Anita Stansfield book. I like it, and I am especially touched by Ilene's dignity.
Dawnetta
I love Anita Stansfield. She has taught some of my greatest lessons in personal relationships through her books.
Debra Cryer
This was a hard book to read as I lost a very good friend to breast cancer in 1995. She had also left children behind.
Nancy Beard
Aug 06, 2008 Nancy Beard rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yes
Another great book I love the way Anita Stansfield writes and can hardly put her books down.
Katie
Liked the main characters in this book. Touching and sad at parts but uplifting at the same time.
Nickie
Prepare to cry. Oh my! It was a really good book, just made me really emotional.
Ann
This book is about cancer, and the emotions that are common when dealing with it.
Julaine Evans
i did not like this book. i think that it was depressing and silly.
  • Tomorrow and Always
  • A Forever Love
  • Kate's Turn
  • Breaking Point
Anita Stansfield, the LDS market's #1 best-selling romance novelist, is an imaginative and prolific writer whose romantic stories have captivated her readers.
"With sales approaching a half million, Anita Stansfield has clearly found a niche in this market," said Nicole Martin, Publicist for Covenant Communications. "Her popularity stems from her ability to empathize with and write about the issues
More about Anita Stansfield...
The Gable Faces East (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #1) First Love and Forever (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #4) First Love, Second Chances (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #5) Gables Against the Sky (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #2) Towers of Brierley