Start by marking “Cold Train Coming” as Want to Read:
Cold Train Coming

Cold Train Coming

IT'S 1942 AND AMERICA IS AT WAR. A sense of peril and wartime shortages have reached even the small town of Fort Benton, Montana, where 13-ear-old Ben Colby is growing up. Ben is in love for the first time, with Ellie Beck, a high-school beauty who is three years older than Ben. But that's not the only dilemma Ben is facing. When he learns that one of his mother's old boyf ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Cold Train Coming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Train Coming

Kylie Nelson
Summary-It’s the middle of the night when Ben wakes up to his mom yelling his name telling him to get the shotgun and go see what is outside. Ben spots the animal and chases it and ends up in his best friend Ellie’s yard. Ellie wakes up and follows Ben as he chases the animal. Just as Ben is about to shoot the animal he realizes it is a dog that everyone calls Shep. The next day Ellie, Ben, and Squid go to try and adopt Shep and Shep ends up saving Squid’s life but still won’t communicate with t ...more
Jun 09, 2015 Marilyn rated it liked it
With the setting of a small town in Montana during World War II, Barkdull tells a sweet story of a young teenage boy who experiences tough problems that are difficult for an adult (depression, heavy debt, sickness, loss of friends), but he carries the innocence of youth. A faithful dog named "Shep" who awaits the return of his dead, sheep-herding master at a train depot for several years adds an interesting aspect to the story. Barkdull wrote the story because of an actual sheepdog who waited at ...more
Oct 25, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
The story itself was rather average; I grew up in Fort Benton in the 50s and 60s and it was interesting to see the cast of characters from the 40s. Very much as it would have been I suspect. The story of Shep was ingrained in all of us, and like the youngsters in the story, hiking up to the little bluff by the train depot to see the statue of Shep was a common occurrence.
Sep 03, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it
In the midst of dealing with a World War, this small trainstation of a town has its own little dramas going on. A boy on the verge of growing up, a wife tempted by a handsome would-be rescuer, a loyal dog that has captured the imagination and heart of an entire town.

This book managed to delve into issues of war, fidelity, manic depression, loyalty and love without being boring. I think that says a thing or two. I found the characters believable and endearing enough that I was rooting for them. I
Oct 25, 2015 ThePinkCarrot rated it really liked it
A wonderful story about a dog who loved his master.
Nov 12, 2009 Joy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-books
I enjoyed this book. The author is a cousin of my mom's, and he writes pretty well.

Cold Train Coming is the story of two boys living in a small western railroad town. They end up taking care of a dog who lives at the train station who has been there since his owner's body was taken away to family back east several years before. The dog waits for every train, waiting for the owner. The boy's story becomes entangled with the dog's and it makes for a quick, enjoyable book.
Jan 22, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Well written. Since I read for stories, and way too fast, it was hard for me to slow down and savor the words. Loosely based on the well known story of Shep, the sheep dog, who's master died and his body shipped by train to his family. Shep spent the rest of his life waiting at the train station. Meeting each train. The main story is also about being faithful and true.
Apr 17, 2008 Breanne rated it did not like it
The legend of Shep will warm the heart of most anyone however, this fictional story that intertwines with the Shep legend has an unbelievable plot and fairly corny ending. It is nonetheless wholesome, with no bad language or themes.
Feb 07, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
I couldn't put it down! They centered the book on a true story of a dog who lost his master and shed some light on what some of the people struggled with during war after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.
Aug 22, 2008 WendyR rated it really liked it
This book will be a bit more challenging for my boys than the books they have been reading but I really want them to read it. I really enjoyed this book. It had sort of a Bridge to Terabithia feel to it.
Jul 09, 2008 Snoopsnoop rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: um not sure
Recommended to Snoopsnoop by: a friend
I tried really hard to get into it enough to finish it. But sadly never got there. A friend recommended it and gave it 5 stars but I just couldn't get into it. Guess this one is not for me!
Aug 21, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my favorites! So many little nuggets of good storytelling in it. I laughed, I cried, I bit my nails in suspense but mostly my heart was warmed.
Nov 08, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
This story is set during world war II. It took me a while to get into the story. I found it to be a good story and very sad at times.
Mar 03, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
A very touching book that teaches you alot about the "olden days" and the regular struggles they went through on a daily basis.
Mar 04, 2008 Koe rated it it was ok
May 30, 2013 Barbara rated it liked it
An interesting story about a faithful dog and the people whose lives he touched.
Jun 05, 2008 Kacey rated it really liked it
I liked this's about a little boy and his family during World War 2
Momma Fish
Jan 30, 2008 Momma Fish rated it liked it
Neat little book. Good read. Loved it being about a dog!
Margaret Broadbent
Aug 04, 2008 Margaret Broadbent rated it really liked it
Great Book. Would be a good book for a book club group.
May 13, 2008 Connie rated it liked it
I was disappointed in the ending but it was a good story.
Mar 05, 2011 Kellee rated it it was ok
Shelves: novel
A little hard to get through
Paula Patterson
Paula Patterson marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2016
Joyce Christensen
Joyce Christensen rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Heidi Clark
Heidi Clark marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Jani rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Angela added it
Sep 10, 2016
Robin Chappell
Robin Chappell rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Debbie marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I am a longtime publisher and writer of books, music, art and magazines. My most recent books are Priesthood Power–Blessing the Sick and the Afflicted and Rescuing Wayward Children. I have just completed a major 5-book doctrinal series called The Three Pillars of Zion, which was announced August 2009. I have created two Facebook groups called, “Rescuing Wayward Children” and “Three Pillars of Zion ...more
More about Larry Barkdull...