Ezra Taft Benson: A Biography

Ezra Taft Benson: A Biography

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  495 ratings  ·  45 reviews
”I believe that you will find in this biography the story of a truly great man. Not a perfect man, nor a man who hasn’t faced and even struggled with mortality’s challenges. But a man of conviction and courage. A man who has remained true to the principles in which he deeply believes. A man who has responded to assignments within the gospel kingdom that have demanded total...more
Published March 15th 1989 by Deseret Book Co (first published March 1989)

Kimber
I always enjoy reading biographies of the prophets. Ezra Taft Benson was no different. He was a remarkable man. Reading about his life experiences, I know that he was put on the earth at exactly the right time that the world needed him. It was also apparent that his early life experiences prepared him for his later life experiences. Much of his life was spent in politics, so much of the book discussed the political world he was involved in. Things really don't change much in politics. The Democr...more
Kristin
Feb 06, 2008 Kristin rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: already-read
My husband and I read this book together during the first few months of our marriage. We often found ourselves laughing and crying at the stories and hardships they faced. I felt particularly connected to the women described and was strengthen in my new role as a wife and upcoming role of a mother. I almost felt a part of the Benson family. It is a wonderful description of a modern family pulling together through difficulties.

I never realized the full extent of President Benson's participation...more
Mommywest
Nov 11, 2008 Mommywest rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: People interested in U.S. history/politics, parents, anyone who likes inspiring individuals, Mormons
I'm reading this book for the umpteenth time--I am always inspired by President Benson's life. I also am amazed by his wife and all she was able to do in spite of the fact that her husband was gone all the time because of work/church callings/etc. I learn so much from the way they handled their family and all their responsibilities with faith, determination, and strength. My testimony of the true gospel of Jesus Christ is strengthened every time, without fail!
Allison
My Mom gave this book to me way back in High School, when President Benson was the prophet. I never read it, but had it sitting on my shelf. Finally, I made a goal to read it, and was amazed!!! I couldn't put it down, it was so intriguing to learn about the life of a prophet. I loved reading this book and want to read all of the biographies of the prophets.
Ben Haymond
I loved this book. President Benson was a great man; there have been few men like him. He is a great example in many ways. To start with the ending, I was deeply moved by the account of his ministry as President of the Church. His continued strong emphasis on the Book of Mormon has impacted the Church as a whole and me in particular in very positive ways. As I read the end I felt very strongly that this man was a prophet of God. He was called and prepared for his ministry. His life, his work and...more
Nick
President Benson was a giant among men. I am struck at how hard he works at everything he undertakes...small or big. He genuinely cared about helping other children of God and for the welfare of others. It is incredible how he could balance a family of 5 children, apostleship, politics, etc.

-Served 8 years in the cabinet of Eisenhower as Sec of Agr
-As apostle, toured post WWII Europe and directed supplies to the needy
-Spent time in Asia building up new missions there
-First stake pres in DC, not...more
The Thousander Club
Adam C. Zern shares his thoughts . . .

"Ezra Taft Benson is my most admired statesmen. I have read dozens of his speeches, one of his books (An Enemy Hath Done This), as well as reading books he endorsed, such as The American Tradition by Clarence B. Carson. In fact, I have gone so far as to read a biography of a personality, Robert A. Taft, because Ezra Taft Benson listed him as one of his most admired statesmen. After reading his official biography by Sheri Dew, I am as impressed and endeared...more
Tony
My first memories of a living prophet where those of President Benson. During my life, I have had experiences of standing by his grave, reading his past talks and devotionals, and trying to live up to his admonition to read the Book of Mormon. Reading this book has helped me to better understand how President Benson was shaped into being the prophet of God. His life is both exemplar and amazing. His devotion to true principles in the face of adversity and against the stream of popular philosophi...more
Sandi Willis
Ezra Taft Benson was a remarkable man! He rose from a farm boy to become the Secretary of Agriculture under President Eisenhower. He was the only one of Eisenhower's Cabinet that lasted all eight years. He was an Apostle of Jesus Christ and was given the task of taking tons of food, clothing, and bedding to the LDS people in war torn Europe after World War II. He was able to get into places where no one else was able to go because of his prayers and faith in Jesus Christ and knowing that he was...more
Lindsay
This book took forever to read, but it was worth it! I can't believe how much I learned. I haven't read many biographies and didn't expect to love this as much as I did. I don't remember President Benson at all and it was interesting to see how different he is than the prophets I am now used too. I learned about President Benson in this book of course, but also a lot about America's freedom, history, and workings, as well as about church history and development. I learned about good families and...more
Tara
This is the best biography that I have ever read! There were several reasons as to why I so enjoyed this book more than any other bio. I learned a lot about myself--comparing myself to him and his wife in so many ways. I loved reading about his family, his SUPPORTIVE wife (I have a renewed goal and view on being a good help meet for my hubby after reading about Flora's life), and his never-wavering testimony that he shared as often as he could. He passed B of Ms around constantly, from U.S. Pres...more
Mel Allred
I don't normally read biographies, however, since I am LDS, I have taken it upon myself to read many of those that are about the prophets of our religion. This one is particularly well written and the subject matter is surprisingly good material for LDS readers and others who may wish to see the personal drive, and inspiration, necessary to achieve that which was achieved by this great man. If you're looking for a self-help book, this is enlightening. If you're looking for a testimony of the wo...more
Shelly
I read this book as a young college student. President Benson was the Prophet that I knew growing up, and I felt an even stronger connection to him since my dad had been on a mission with President Benson's nephew back in the Eastern States Mission. One time when Elder Benson(he wasn't Prophet yet) was back there for an assisgnment he took his nephew and my dad out to lunch.
I absolutely loved this book. I laughed and cried. Then I read Camilla's Biography and felt the same way. What wonderful pe...more
Dad
This book was very informative. I learned a lot about a man I revere as a prophet of God. He was the one who taught the Church to read the Book of Mormon daily and to stay away from pride. President Benson was a man about my Grandpa Merrill's age who grew up in the same area, northern Cache Valley. I enjoy reading books about righteous men and their lives. I have a lot of love for my grandpa also.
Tony Derricott
I really enjoyed the first part of the book; learning of the years before he became the prophet. I had known him as the prophet from Whitney -- the "town" next door to where I grew up. Now I have a more complete picture.

I was a little disappointed that this book ended prior to his death. I don't mean that to sound macabre. It just seems like it ended before it ended; if you know what I mean.
Tanya W
This was the first biography I read of a prophet. Not only was it very interesting, but it strengthened my testimony of prophets in a powerful way. Although Pres. Benson was not universally admired (a near impossibility for public servants with strong opinions), I put him on my list of people who helped make me a better person. His counsels blessed my life and had a permanent impact on me.
Michele
I really didn't expect to give this book 5 stars, but it was amazing. I learned a tremendous about about our past prophet, Ezra Taft Benson. His life was filled with so many dramatic changes, but he took them in stride and followed the Lord in faith. I also enjoyed reading about his wife, Flora. I learned a lot from her exceptional example, and I want to be more like her.
Mark
This biography is a wonderful portrayal of the prophet of my youth. This well-told biography shares the true story of a farm boy who would become one of the most influential men of his time -- not only for the LDS church, but also in his role as a pivotal cabinet member while also serving in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
Robert
Jul 23, 2008 Robert rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone
This is the most comprehensive and enjoyable biography that I have ever read. Dew does a wonderful job of bringing to life "T", and giving you a sense that he is one of your best friends. Ezra Taft Benson is an inspirational man, and reading this book will inspire within the reader a great sense of ability.
Shellie
I've been reading this book for a long time and am happy to finally finish it, it took so long because I mostly only read it on Sunday's. I have loved every minute of this book!Ezra Taft Benson was a true man of God, I have come to know this and love this man and prophet through this well written book.
A good one for sure. It took me a long time to read, but I did enjoy it. I was impressed by the sacrifices he made, and especially interested in his time as Secretary of Agriculture. I love the things he said about freedom and, of course, The Book of Mormon.
Robert
May 29, 2008 Robert added it
This was a fun book to read and one that I will reread at times. I never knew how much pressure he was under as the secretary of agriculture and it must have been a real change to go from full time church work to being part of the presidents cabinet.
Connie Williams
I read this shortly after I joined the church. I remember it added flesh to so many of my basic ideas. Pres Benson was the prophet when I joined the church and when I was on my mission. I will always have such a special place in my heart for him.
Jhbyu
Sheri Dew is not the best author, very redundant and can start sentences with random connections. The segment about his stint as the secretary of agriculture was the most interesting.
Bill
This is an excellent book to help the reader gain an understanding of why President Benson taught the things that he taught. It was a great read and I highly recommend it.
Rebecca
I think this is the first of the biographies that I read about the prophets. It's another wonderful book and it gave me a greater appreciation for the life of Ezra Taft Benson.
Lanell
This book was awesome. I don't really remember Pres. Benson but I wish I did because he was amazing as was his wife. One of the best books I have read in a long time - loved it
Doloresfritz
I Learned so much about President Benson's life that I didn't know. What a great example to us all. Sherri Dew did a great job with this biography.
Annie
The first biography I really got into. President Benson's life experiences showed me that he did what is right no matter the consequence.
Kassie
I gained a greater appreciation for this man. He also influenced my thoughts on patriotism and giving all we have to the Lord's work.
  • Howard W. Hunter
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • A Disciple's Life: The Biography of Neal A. Maxwell
  • Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced)
  • A Witness and a Warning: A Modern-Day Prophet Testifies of the Book of Mormon
  • Mothers of the Prophets
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Not My Will, but Thine
  • The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother
  • The Simeon Solution: One Woman's Spiritual Odyssey
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Mormon Scientist: The Life and Faith of Henry Eyring
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
  • Promised Messiah: The First Coming of Christ
  • Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News
62012
Sheri Dew graduated from Brigham Young University. She served as second counselor in the general Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1997 to 2002. In March 2003 the White House appointed her a member of the U.S. Delegation to the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations. In 2002, Sheri Dew became president and CEO of Deseret Book Company.
More about Sheri L. Dew...
Go Forward With Faith: The Biography of Gordon B. Hinckley No Doubt About It If Life Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be Hard: And Other Reassuring Truths No One Can Take Your Place God Wants A Powerful People