Start by marking “Nietzsche in Turin: An Intimate Biography” as Want to Read:
Nietzsche in Turin: An Intimate Biography

Nietzsche in Turin: An Intimate Biography

During 1888 in Turin, Italy, Nietzsche wrote three of his most important works--Ecce Homo, Twilight of the Idols, and The Antichrist. In this accessible, moving biography, Lesley Chamberlain examines with passion and insight the mind of a genius at its creative pinnacle. In her account, Freidrich Nietzsche emerges as a gentle, tortured man, dominated by his rigorous mind a ...more
Published December 15th 1998 by Picador (first published August 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Nietzsche in Turin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nietzsche in Turin

Jonfaith
Jan 21, 2012 Jonfaith rated it it was ok
Shelves: theory
We might take a mental snapshot of him now, as a brilliant wanderer in search of passing princely patronage, somehow strayed into the modern world.

Nietzsche in Turin is a dreary muck. A spectacular mess would have been at least engaging, if only because of the ambition displayed. Not so, here. This effort, however, became gradually immobilized by authorial self-regard and our poor Fritz was left commiserating with the nag on the Turin street. Chamberlain documents Nietzsche's time in Turin befor
Jim Coughenour
Jan 06, 2010 Jim Coughenour rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Nietzsche
Another book purchased and started years ago (in this case, March 1995), long buried at the back of my shelves. I disinterred it over Christmas and began again. Last year I read (or re-read) Untimely Meditations; Beyond Good and Evil and Thus Spake Zarathustra - so this time around, the book was more accessible.

Chamberlain picks up the story at the beginning of 1888, the last year of Nietzsche's sanity, during which he wrote three short impassioned books: Twilight of the Idols; The Antichrist an
Nathan
Jul 21, 2012 Nathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy, biography
I purchased this book prior to a trip to Italy. I had read a lot of Nietzsche's writings in college, but hadn't read that much about the man himself. I found the book to be very enlightening and can now place the philosophy of this famous existentialist into better context.

Chamberlain is an engaging writer and is dealing with a complex subject. Nietzsche was clearly a genius, but ended up a madman and at times it can be difficult to separate the two. It was in Turin that he enjoyed the last of h
William West
Well written, enjoyable account of Nietzsche's last days. Paints a very endearing portrait of its subject.
Leanne
Oct 24, 2016 Leanne rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best biographies of Nietzsche I have ever read!
Brent McCulley
The Pros:
Chamberlain does a good job at being fair to Nietzsche in his historical context; this includes, but is not exclusive to, Nietzsche's views towards woman, imperialism, fascism, etc. Anything, quite frankly, on Nietzsche is going to peak my interest.

The Cons:
Chamberlain is a little disingenuous to call this a biography, in especially an "intimate biography" when, in fact, we learned more about Chamberlain herself than we did about Nietzsche. To be sure, no excitingly new insights or sub
Dirk Dierickx
Nov 08, 2014 Dirk Dierickx rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kan dit boek echt niet aanraden, het heeft mij weinig meer inzicht gegeven in het laatste levensjaar van Nietzsche. Verduidelijking in zijn werken heb ik ook niet gekregen, daar ik Nietzsche wel ken, maar de auteur gaat echter uit van een diepere kennis dan de gemiddelde man heeft over de persoon en zijn werk. Tenslotte zou je denken dat boeken zoals deze hier meer inzicht zouden in verschaffen. Meermalen had ik meer de indruk een eindwerk student filosofie te lezen dan een biografisch boek.
Heb
Kenzie
Mar 31, 2011 Kenzie rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I think I was expecting this book to only cover what the last two chapters covered. That would have been a short book, so I'm glad there was more to it, but I often found myself wanting to skip to the end of the book.
I really appreciated Chamberlain's tone--her willingness to treat Nietzsche as a friend allowed the man to shine in all his genius and tragedy. I feel that I've come away with a nuanced understanding of what kind of person Nietzsche was.
Benjamin Crawford
Aug 15, 2007 Benjamin Crawford rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Starry-Eyed Nietzsche acolytes
Shelves: have-read
When I was a collegiate English major, I discovered Nietzsche. He seemed to be the drug of choice among the "cool" people I encountered, who impressed me with their cynicism, and so I signed up for a course featuring Fritz and his prose stylings.

The book, itself, I enjoyed; it was written in a way that was cogent and somehow familiar, as if the author were writing about someone she knew, cared about, and perhaps somewhat pitied, or with whom she empathized.
Eepman
Jun 21, 2010 Eepman rated it it was ok
I gave this book at least 100 pages. I thought it was going to be about Nietzsche's time in Turin but the author went on a much too long tangent about Nietzsche and Wagner's relationship. I wound up not finishing this book either.
G0thamite
Jan 12, 2015 G0thamite rated it it was ok
Some interesting tidbits of Nietzsche's life in the first chapter or two. After that, it all turns to psychoanalyzing his music, sexuality, art and philosophy based on (IMHO) on very thin historical ice.
Karen Renee Collins
Oct 20, 2009 Karen Renee Collins rated it liked it
Shelves: history, germany
I'm not really sure about this book yet... I read it for the 0.5 hour before bellydance every week. Stay tuned.
Fernando Jimenez
Jun 15, 2015 Fernando Jimenez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No es tanto una biografía de los últimos meses de lucidez, nunca mejor dicho, del filósofo, sino un análisis de su obra a la luz de su personalidad. Muy interesante.
Tomas Bjørnstad
Tomas Bjørnstad rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Jesseca
Jesseca rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2007
Outis
Outis rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Simon Armstrong
Simon Armstrong rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2007
MMohammadi
MMohammadi rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
james
james rated it liked it
May 06, 2008
Awet Moges
Awet Moges rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Rick
Rick rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2008
Gyrus
Gyrus rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2009
Sebi Dragu
Sebi Dragu rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2016
Bart
Bart rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2007
Lou Last
Lou Last rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2016
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2011
Dnalphonsus
Dnalphonsus rated it really liked it
May 06, 2017
  • Quicksands: A Memoir
  • Jean-Jacques Rousseau: Restless Genius
  • Footsteps: Adventures of a Romantic Biographer
  • D.H. Lawrence and Italy: Twilight in Italy/Sea and Sardinia/Etruscan Places
  • The Pope and the Heretic: The True Story of Giordano Bruno, the Man Who Dared to Defy the Roman Inquisition
  • In Search of Wagner
  • Portrait of a Novel: Henry James and the Making of an American Masterpiece
  • Personal Narrative of a Journey to the Equinoctial Regions of the New Continent
  • The Price of Water in Finistère