Start by marking “Moominsummer Madness” as Want to Read:
Moominsummer Madness

Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins #5)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  4,274 ratings  ·  107 reviews
The bright and optimistic Moomins find themselves forced out of their home by a flood and take shelter in an old floating theater.
Published April 1st 1976 by Avon Camelot (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Moominsummer Madness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moominsummer Madness

Katie
Apr 30, 2008 Katie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the young at heart
When life gives you lemons, find an abandoned floating theater and make your absurdist masterpiece.
Miriam
Tove Jansson is really kind of amazing.

This is only the second books of hers I've read, the other being The Summer Book. I was impressed then by the subtlety of her writing and her nuanced depiction of complex, contradictory human beings, but I wasn't entirely surprised -- it was an adult book, written about people Jansson knew well personally. I was not expecting a short children's book about cute made up creatures to display the same level of insights into human nature and behavior. But it to
I've liked all Moomin books this far, but somehow this one appealed to me even more than usual. The writing style and the atmosphere of the story are exactly as magical as they should be on a Midsummer night, and despite the rather absurd and adventurous happenings the book left me with a very peaceful mood. There's almost something Shakespearean in this, even though there are no fairies. The play within the story is hilarious, and the whole theatre thing just made me laugh so much. I also fangi ...more
Les
Wonderful. Few things are more fun to read with my kids than the Moomins. Tove Jansson is one of a kind.
Vasha7
Among warm and comforting books for children, this has to be one of the warmest. It takes its character from Moominmamma, who greets every new event (however seemingly problematic) as a delightful experience; for instance, when a rising sea floods her house, she's charmed by how unfamiliar the kitchen looks seen underwater from the ceiling. Furthermore, she has a supreme lack of worry, saying, "Only bad people fare badly." This faith is of course entirely justified in this book's world; in fact, ...more
Mia
I read the Moomin books for the first time when I was about eight, and eighteen years later, I love them more than ever. These stories are sweet and silly, but they also explore existentialism and melancholy, and Jansson's prose is so good! Looking back, I really think she was one of my first writing teachers. And she saved me from seeing everything literally.
Karl Orbell
Half way through the Moomin series. Another pleasant little adventure, if a tad weird. The Moomin family et al are flooded out by some volcano activity and take to the seas, somehow catching a lift in an adrift theatre. Certain family members get lost and go bobbing about elsewhere and, well, the usual weirdness ensues.

Snufkin wasn't in this until over half way through, though he does have a memorable criminal encounter with the despicable park keepers and has to hone his parenting skills, and t
Wayne S.
Do you know what Moomins are? They are a family of white, roundish fanciful creatures with large snouts like hippopotamuses and are the subjects of a series of nine children’s fairy tale like books written and illustrated by Tove Marika Jansson (1914–2001), a Swedish-speaking Finnish novelist, painter, illustrator, and comic strip author. There are Moominpappa, Moominmamma, their son Moomintroll, his girlfriend the Snork Maiden, and a host of other eccentric characters. The first such book, The ...more
S,
I remember this story very well from the animation series, and it wasn't my favourite back then, so unsurprisingly, it wasn't my favourite now. As a child, I guess, the story was just too gloomy for me, and even though I liked it a bit better now that I could see how masterfully Jansson had set up everything, this just won't be my favourite Moomin-story.

However, it is well written and structured - and it definitely had its moments. The best thing in the whole book for me is probably the hilarity
Dane Martin
This book seems like it was written by an angel. I love the Moomin comic strip, as reprinted by Drawn and Quarterly, but I was not prepared for a dense, epic, beautiful journey that I was given here. This is as close as we're going to get to the world where Dr. Seuss wrote a novel. What a great thing this is.
Mänsomläser
Återigen drabbas Mumindalen av en naturkatastrof. Den här gången är det ett vulkanutbrott som orsakar en tsunami som översvämmar hela dalen. Familjen får ta tillflykt till hustaket, men inser snart att de behöver något slags farkost. Som tur är flyter ett övergivet hus förbi, ett hus som saknar ena väggen, men som har en del andra förtjänster till exempel ett praktiskt utrymme under golvet som de använder som skafferi. Det visar sig med tiden att det är en teater.

I den här boken är det fullt av
Bistra Ivanova
това ще ми четат в леглото в близките месеци :-)
засега е супер!

***

ами както обикновено - мила и сладка книжчица, която разсмива, натъжава, замисля и създава детски уют в сърцето
Qt
I really like the Moomin books, and found this one as delightful and charming as the others I've read. A fun summer read!
Sofia
Farlig Midsommar är, och har alltid varit min favorit utav muminböckerna.
Jag tror att det har att göra med karaktärsutveckling och identitetsproblematik, som är det mest intressanta i just detta muminbok.

Vi får se Muminmamman som fnissande barkbåtsbyggare som finner nöje i att se sitt kök förstört, en filifjonka som kastar av sig släktskuldsoket och lever ut, Snusmumriken som ovillig pappa för att inte tala om personförväxling och förklädnad (för vad annat är en teater). Boken tycks söka efter s
Inga
Farlig Midsommar ist der finnische Originaltitel dieses im Jahre 1954 erschienenen Muminromans von Tove Jansson.
Der dem Mumintal nahegelegene Vulkan bricht aus und es entsteht ein Unwetter, das das Tal unter Wasser setzt. Mit der typischen Mumingelassenheit evakuiert die Familie und landet als Notunterkunft in einem schwimmenden Theater. Nur dass die Mumins natürlich nicht wissen, was ein Theater eigentlich ist. Mumin und das Snorkfräulein erleben noch ganz andere Abenteuer, als sie auf einem Ba
Annina
I remember this better from TV than actually reading it, and I'm not sure if I ever completely read any of the moomin books as the child (except the picture books), but I know I've read at least part of this and the November one. I always liked this story and it's one that has stayed in my mind best of the moomin stories. As I remember it, the TV adaptation is pretty accurate, but when reading you get more of those funny little quirks there are in this.

So like I said, the moomins are dear to me
Gijs Grob
De Moominvallei stroomt onder en de Moomins moeten tijdelijk onderdak zoeken in een verlaten theater. Wanneer ze er achter komen wat een theater eigenlijk is, schrijft Moominpapa een stuk dat ze samen uitvoeren met hilarische gevolgen.

In dit vijfde Moominboek is de wereld van de Moomins compleet: naast de Moominfamilie zelf maken we kennis met Mymble, Little My, Fillyjonk, wat Hemulens (prototypes van burgermannetjes), oude bekende Snufkin en nieuwelingen Misabel en Whomper.

Opvallend is de grenz
Shinsu
Tove Jansson lived in Finland, which is my country too.
Book in finnish: Vaarallinen juhannus

Finnish - english
vaarallinen - dangerous, unsafe
juhannus - Midsummer fete in Finland (and Sweden and the Baltic countries), when people piled up a big bonfire, grilling, and making many little spells to know future spouse (like picked seven different flowers and put them under pillow, first man or woman can be seen is the future spouse).
Matilda
In Moominsummer Madness a great flood forces the Moomin family to abandon their home. One of the main themes of the Moomin books is the ability of the family to get through various bizarre events with comforting calm. This is very apparent in Moominsummer madness. When the kitchen has been flooded and Moominpappa has to make a hole in the floor so that Moomintroll can dive for breakfast Moominmamma laughs at the sight of her kitchen from above. She quite enjoys the new point of view. Disastrous ...more
Dada
O Muminovcoch som toho veľa počula, až som sa rozhodla zoznámiť sa s nimi osobne hoc aj 'na staré kolená'. A ide o veľmi milú knižku, dokonca aj ilustrovanú (mám chuť min. niektoré ilustrácie vyfarbiť, ale zatiaľ ich nechávam neporušené pre nejaké to moje prípadné dieťa)! Keďže ide o celú sériu knižiek, možno by prospelo stručné zoznámenie s hlavnými postavami kdesi v úvode, aby sa človek lepšie zorientoval. V skratke sa mi ale prosto páčilo, mám rada detské knižky!
Deborah
In which Moominmamma shows she can make a home anywhere. As always with the Moomins, this is really a story about how people feel and what people think; but it's also possible to read it just as a light-hearted tale of what happened one summer. I particularly enjoyed Snufkin in the role of father.
Stacey
These books are magical. Read them first in 5th grade. They were written by a Swedish-speaking Finnish author in the 1940's and 1950's. She won the Hans Christen Andersen award for her work overall. It doesn't read anything like an American children's book, which is really refreshing.
Kirsti
All the books in this series are so endearing. Adventures, friendships and family traditions for these Moomins, and their fellow creatures, apply to all sentient beings. My kids loved these at bedtime. Nothing too frightening but lots of on-your-own, children's play.
Katja
This used to be my favourite Moomin book, and I still love it. Nowadays my favourite is probably The Exploits of Moominpappa, but this one is a close second. Recommended for people of all ages!
Krystl Hall
I love all the Moomin books, and have read them repeatedly since I was a child, both to myself, and out loud to all the children that have come across my path. But this one is my favorite.
Andrea
This was my first time reading a Moomin tale and I found it to be a delightful quirky adventure. It was a nice reminder not to take life too seriously.
Carm
I just love this book. It's a fine juxtaposition to be reading two Scandinavian authors at once... Jansson of Moomin fame and Stieg Larsson, who wrote the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. They are quite opposite and both fascinating in their own right.

I find the Moomins charming, funny, and always surprising. If you've never read them and enjoy a good children's story (along the lines of Winnie the Pooh with the wit of Pippi Longstocking) then you might enjoy these wacky and wonderful books.
Teenreader7
This is a fab story. Making the human world look like complete madness! Love love love.
Elina Vierimaa
Taianomaista kerrontaa. Muumien elämänasenne ihastuttaa!
DeNae
Elliot loves these books and can't wait to read the entire series. I didn't enjoy this one as much as the other, but I like the characters and the fact that the language used is a nice stretch for a 6 year old. We'll take a break for Charlotte's Web, but we'll be back to visit the Moominfamily soon.
  • Koirien Kalevala
  • Missä kuljimme kerran
  • Moomin, Vol. 6
  • Sudenmorsian
  • Seven Brothers
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Kätilö
  • Дядя Фёдор, пёс и кот
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin
More about Tove Jansson...

The Moomins (9 books)
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)
Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3) The Summer Book Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2) The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1) Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)

“A theatre is the most important sort of house in the world, because that's where people are shown what they could be if they wanted, and what they'd like to be if they dared to and what they really are” 83 likes
“I'll have to calm down a bit. Or else I'll burst with happiness” 47 likes