Start by marking “Flora's Lot ” as Want to Read:
Flora's Lot

Flora's Lot

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,218 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews
Flora Stanza has sub-let her London life in a bid to join the family antiques business. Her knowledge of antiques comes straight from day-time TV, but what she lacks in experience she makes up for in blind enthusiasm. But instead of a warm country welcome, Flora's curt, conservative cousin Charles and his fiancee Annabelle seem determined to send her packing.

Stuck with a c
Audio CD
Published June 2nd 2005 by Audiobooks (first published March 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Flora's Lot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flora's Lot

Mel
Apr 24, 2011 Mel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara
Mar 04, 2009 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
kept being distracted by the fact that the two lovers are cousins!!? in this day and age? ... no thanks.
Peggy
Jan 02, 2009 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I want some light reading, I like to read Katie Fforde's books. This ione is a good story. Flora Stanza inherits 51% of an auction service and house. Her distant cousin Charles owns the other 48%. She decides to check out what she has inherited and see if she can make it a successful business. Shen meets her cousin, Charles, and his stick in the mud finacee, Annabelle. At first, the really don't want much to do with Flora, although Annabelle would like to buy 3% of Flora's part of the busin ...more
Ainur
it's so hard to put this book down once i'm into it. i felt like i'm watching tv series, which i felt like i have to continue on watching to know what happened next. it gave different view each time. different things, interesting things happened each time and it's not boring at all.

the characters are all likeable, even the mean Annabelle, which at first i despised for her lack of friendliness towards Flora. but then i like her for being mean. i mean, her lack of sensitivity towards others showe
Kate
Feb 09, 2009 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
O.k., so after a grueling semester of young adult literature, I was pretty much done with angsty teen novels. So, I went back to my comfort zone in chick lit. I picked the first pink book with the urban go-getter girl on the cover. It was this one. It had the added benefit of being a British novel, and I happen to love British chick-lit (Bridget Jones). Basically, this one fit the mold, without any brilliant writing, but the love interest is. her. cousin. Yes, her cousin! O.k., once or twice Ffo ...more
Jenny
May 14, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Registered on Bookcrossing: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/7...

This was a fun read. Flora is a sort of a Bridget Jones character. She's a fish out of water, coming to live in the country to learn about her inheritance of an antique shop. Her distant cousin is Charles, he's stuffy, grumpy about change, and Flora is beautiful, full of enthusiasm. There are some fun characters.
Mel
Aug 02, 2011 Mel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I was really disappointed with this book in all honesty. When I looked at the plot I thought it sounded like a nice easy read to while away a few hours but I have to confess, I wasn't expecting to be so utterly bored! All Flora seems to do is have stilted conversations with Charles then has the obligatory subsequent baths with a bottle of wine. Then the next thing you know they're suddenly in a hotel room together! I thought the writing was a bit dull and uninteresting and although I was expecti ...more
Bianca
Oct 28, 2014 Bianca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a mediocre story, long build up with a short, cheesy ending and badly written. I wouldn't recommend this book.
Cozythai
Nov 19, 2015 Cozythai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brit-chick-book
I always love reading anything by Fforde.

I am trying to catch -up on all the books that I haven't read from her and Flora's Lot was the exception.

I love Flora, she is very stubborn and selfish and is a girl you could be genuinely surprised about. I also love her cat Imelda and it has also made me think of getting one myself.

I am not much of a fan of the Antiques Roadshow and this book explores that life. It's one of the reasons why I love Fforde's book, she researches the jobs and gets a taster
lynn
Oct 09, 2007 lynn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
a light easy read. A young women,Flora, surprisingly inherits 51% of an antique auction house.She packs up her pregant cat and decides to head to the country to learn about the buisness. The remainder of the assests are owned by a distant cousin,Charles, who is far from welcoming when Flora arrives in town.He is also terribly stuffy and engaged to a chilly fiancee who wants Charles to sell the auction house to make a profit. It is a fun read though terribly predictable.
Margaret
Flora has had jobs here and there but no real career. When she learns that her uncle has left her the majority share of an auction house she packs up all her things, leaves her apartment and friends in London and heads off to the country to meet her cousin (a couple of times removed...and this is important) who owns the other shares. Cousin Charles and his fiancee Anabelle aren't thrilled and they are not welcoming. After all, Flora is just a pretty blonde without much going on in the brains dep ...more
Lightblue
L'ho preso perche' sono una maniaca del te', lo adoro! Purtroppo del te' non c'e' niente in questa storia, se non il fatto che la protagonista ne beve a litri. Mi ha ricordato i libri della Pilcher: ambientazioni stupende, un grande amore ma prevedibilita' assoluta...peccato!!!
Sara
Dec 28, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the general premise of this book and really liked the insight into working for an auction house. The downside of the book is that the last few chapters were really rushed, thrown together and pretty cheesy.
Krisz
May 06, 2014 Krisz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am somehow disappointed in KF. The Rose Revived was soooo good! Nothing she wrote ever since gets near :( My main problem with several recent books that they smell of research. I can imagine authors thinking "what should I write about?" whereas in my opinion writing should come from the urge of wanting to tell a story. So instead of learning something the writer wants to say, we get a story which is worked out - yes, it is work, this is what pays the bills, end of story.
KF had the opportunity
Kathryn
I did enjoy this, although like most other Katie Ffordes it was very predictable!
Alistair
Dec 15, 2014 Alistair rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Every new Katie Fforde is a delight. Flora moves from London to rural England to take up her inheritance in the family's auction house business. Met with hostility by her stuffy cousin Charles and his freeze-ice-on-her-arse fiancee Annabelle, Flora's only comforts are her pregnant cat, choir practice and her new friend, the devilishly handsome Henry. Readers familiar with Fforde won't be surprised when first impressions are turned on their head; still it's an acknowledgement of Fforde's fluid wr ...more
Janneke
Just started this...very light reading, but entertaining!
Gemma
Nov 23, 2012 Gemma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I'd originally given this book five stars, with 60 pages to go until the end. You know a book is good when you are more upset that you've not got your book than you are about not having any clothes when you leave your suitcase behind. However, the ending just spoilt it a bit for me. It wasn't that I didn't like the outcome - I thought it was suitable for the narrative - it was that it felt so rushed. Everything got sorted out within about ten pages, almost like Fforde was working to a deadline o ...more
DubaiReader
Aug 25, 2012 DubaiReader rated it liked it
Review for the abridged audiobook.

I have often suspected that an abridged version cuts out a lot of character development to just concentrate on the plot. This abridged audiobook was only 3hrs 19min long, so a large chunk of the book's 464 pages must have been missing. Sadly, the result was rather bland and dull.

When Flora hears that her uncle has left her a 51% share of his antiques business, she decides to rent out her London flat and move to the country. She has no experience of antiques, oth
KC
Nov 18, 2011 KC rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Katie Fforde book I have read. I chose it as I really liked the premise behind 'Bidding for Love'.

A young city-slicker woman (Flora) inherits a 51% share of an ailing country antiques business from an uncle. She arrives in the town, pregnant cat in tow, to find her "distant" cousin (Charles) and his awful fiance (Annabelle) are none too pleased to see her.

There are a few problems with this book that stopped me from really liking it (SPOILER ALERT):

The whole INCEST THEME!!! Yep
Krista
Dec 13, 2008 Krista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would actually rate this 3 1/2 stars if possible. It was a nice little British chick lit book about a young, pretty and single woman named Flora who moves from London to the country when she inherits 51% of a family owned auction house. She takes along her recently rescued pregnant cat, Imelda. She finds she will be working with her distant cousin many times removed, Charles, and his horrible fiancee, Annabelle. It was somewhat difficult to believe how mean these two people were to Flora when sh ...more
LindyLouMac

Katie Fforde is an author I have been reading and enjoying since 1995, usually reading new titles as they are published. Somehow Flora’s Lot which was first published in 2004 remained elusive until I recently managed to get hold of a copy, her eleventh novel! Katie Fforde has never I do not think aspired to write great literary fiction but she certainly writes easy to read romantic fiction with realistic characters in feasible situations.
This time the prot
Stefanie Julianto
Sebenernya udah baca dari akhir Desember, tapi belum sempet nulis reviewnya.

Gue agak nggak suka sama endingnya sih, bukan karena mereka akhirnya jadian.. tapi lebih ke "there were advantages to keeping things in the family" WHUT!? agak aneh aja gituh married sama saudara sepupu (yah walaupun bukan sepupu langsung)

plotnya ketebak banget dari awal, bahwa endingnya Flora dan Charles, dan Annabelle suka sama William.

maybe next book lebih seru ceritanya~
Agatha
Jun 09, 2014 Agatha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was looking for a light one as a “palate cleanser” after my two most recent reads, and so I picked up this one recently recommended by a friend. I must admit I wasn’t tooooooo thrilled with it, and I kind of got a bit bored at various points, but I did make it to the end. It helped to fill my time while I was sitting outside my daughter's extracurricular class all day on Saturday!
Pam Williams
Mar 08, 2014 Pam Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wanted a light read after tackling a heavy going book for my Book Club.
It's easy reading and enjoyable - if you like chick-lit. She doesn't give up wanting to do 'good' by the company and bringing it into the 21century. Some interesting characters thrown into the mix. Shows you that you cannot always tell what people are like by their appearances.
Pam
Apr 23, 2014 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Completely predictable, but diverting, escapist read. FForde's particular brand of chick lit always combines romance with some kind of fine living career pursuit. Her protagonists are starting a catering business, or a river barge cruise, or an organic gardening company,or in this instance,joining a failing estate auction house.
Briana
Sep 18, 2014 Briana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pythia
Chick-lit senz'infamia e senza lode, in alcuni tratti originale e simpatico. Lo spunto è interessante e insolito rispetto al sul genere: Flora molla la vita di Londra per trasferirsi in campagna e lavorare nella casa d'aste di cui ha appena ereditato la quota di maggioranza da parte di uno zio balengo.
Ad accoglierla trova il cliché delle coppie, lui ricco e spocchioso, lei algida regina dei ghiacci, fidanzati da una vita in vista di un matrimonio per abitudine e convenienza.
Anche se alcuni episo
Suzka
Jan 08, 2011 Suzka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who don't object to reading unedited writing
Okay, so I'm a COMPLETE idiot for British chick-lit. Like many such stories, the plot of this one was predictable and formulaic. This one, however, was particularly poorly written and edited. (For example, it was at times difficult to follow the dialogue; it segued choppily from one scene to the next in places; references to popular culture - like Trinny and Susannah - lost their charm through overuse...)

Two things kept me going to the end, though...the Britishisms (opening up a packet of crisp
Linda
Jul 25, 2008 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katie Fforde's romantic comedies always provide a light and entertaining read. Although the ending seemed a bit rushed and the outcome was somewhat predictable, I enjoyed this story of a young woman who turns her life upside down when she inherits part of an auction house. Flora moves from London to the country village where her new business is located to learn the ins and outs of the trade. As she tries to convince Charles, her distant cousin, who also owns shares in the company and has been ru ...more
  • Chocolate Wishes
  • The Xmas Factor
  • Summer Daydreams
  • Happy Birthday. Christina Jones
  • Sheer Mischief
  • An Autumn Crush
  • Return Engagement
  • A Crowded Marriage
Catherine Rose Gordon-Cumming was born 27 September 1952 in England, UK, the daughter of Shirley Barbara Laub and Michael Willoughby Gordon-Cumming. Her grandfather was Sir William Gordon-Cumming. Her sister is fellow writer Jane Gordon-Cumming. Katie married Desmond Fforde, cousin of the also writer Jasper Fforde. She has three children: Guy, Francis and Briony and didn't start writing until afte ...more
More about Katie Fforde...