Start by marking “Going Dutch” as Want to Read:
Going Dutch

Going Dutch

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  2,364 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
When Jo’s husband ditches her, and Dora ditches her fiancé, both women find themselves living on a barge on the Thames where they must learn to navigate their way around new relationships. They quickly learn the value of friendship and a fresh start.
Published March 27th 2007 by Century (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Going Dutch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Dutch

Ririn
Almost becoming the first book of Katie Fforde's that I could not finished. The earlier chapters were so slow moving that I really wanted to give up the book. That is, I have to wait until halfway through to become really interested.

Looking at the title, I thought that it would be a play of the idiom. But surprisingly, 'Going Dutch' literally means they were going to Holland!
LindyLouMac
Sep 09, 2011 LindyLouMac rated it liked it
I read and reviewed on Bookcrossing in 2008

Meggie
Feb 21, 2012 Meggie rated it did not like it
This was my least favorite Katie Fforde, but then I read Artistic License. However, it's still in my bottom two.

I hate that Dora just quit her job to live on a houseboat because she broke off her engagement. Why do no Katie Fforde heroines have careers???

I hate that Jo's love interest had a girlfriend for, oh, at least half the book. I hate that Jo actually considered getting back with her cheating scumbag husband--he cheated on you! The younger model he left you for is now pregnant! Don't go ba
Romée Wanders
Waah, het boek had veel potentie, maar ik kwam er maar niet doorheen D:
De beloofde boottocht liet maar op zich wachten en besloeg eigenlijk maar een paar hoofdstukken van het boek, wat wel oke was als de opbouw er naartoe niet zooooooo laaaaaaaang duurde.
Waarschijnlijk was dat om de karakters goed te leren kennen, maar dat is bij mij ook niet echt gelukt.
Ik had bij niemand echt van ah yes en Carole verdiende een bitchslap.
Maar goed, de oude leute hebben party seks en Tom en Dora worden snel afge
Gouri Bhat
Mar 06, 2017 Gouri Bhat rated it did not like it
Did not like it at all!. Abandoned after a third as jut wasn't going anywhere
AlexLovesBooks
When you get married you expect to share your life with the person you have fallen in love with. But for Jo and Dora, sharing seems to be rather challenging.

Jo's husband decided that he would share himself with another younger woman, and Jo leaves him to start her own life again and finds herself living on a barge in London owned by a friend.

Dora makes the momentous decision that who she has chosen to share her life with, is not going to make her happy and so she escapes and seeks refuge on the
Marty
Oct 23, 2013 Marty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eccomi finalmente ...
Sono molto contenta di poter dire che finalmente sono riuscita a finire questo libro.
Dopo aver finito la trilogia di Delirium mi serviva una bella pausa dal genere distopico,e quale migliore occasione che un libro della mia amata Fforde?
Tutti coloro che mi conoscono almeno un minimo sanno che praticamente venero questa autrice. Il suo stile squisitamente inglese mi fa sentire parte di un mondo che io ancora non conosco. Adoro come dipinge la vita di campagna o di città ing
Nikki
After reading a tense, rather gloomy mystery full of corruption and violence, I needed a bit of a palate-cleanser and Katie Fforde's books always fill the bill. Full of likable characters and interesting settings, women finding interesting ways to make a living as well as love, they are like a refreshing sorbetto for the tired mind.

Dora, who's 24, has just broken off her engagement to the only boyfriend she's ever had. The wedding was all planned, gifts had arrived, and she just couldn't go thro
Best Crime Books & More
I had never read Katie Fforde before but have seen her books many times over the years. I picked this book up after reading the jacket and had no expectations, I was just hoping for a decent read. The book wasn't particularly hefty at 400 pages but the cover is reasonable, although not particularly attention grabbing. I settled myself down and got stuck in, only that is a lot easier said than done sometimes.

The book is very easy to read and like many chick lit authors, Katie Fforde has an easy w
Rea Cobb
May 29, 2011 Rea Cobb rated it really liked it
I saw another of Katie Fforde books in the library the other day called Going Dutch and although I wasn't captured by the title or the plain front cover of the book I put these thoughts aside as I remembered how great her previous read had been and picked this one up.

The main character in this book is Dora. Dora has just split from her fiancé just before her wedding day. She feels she needs to get away from everything and everyone, when her best friend suggests she goes and stays with her mothe
Abigail (Read. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.)
Rating: 4 over 5 stars
Summary: When her husband hooked up another younger girl, Jo(anna) Edwards took refuge in a barge called The Three Sisters near the Thames. When she was about to make the biggest regret of her life, Dora Hamilton fled from her overprotective fiance, her overcritical village, and her sheltered life to live with Jo in the barge. Both of them are called "kept women", so Jo decided to find a different hobby other than cooking, and Dora must learn herself on how to be independen
LindyLouMac

Katie Fforde is in my opinion one of the better writers of ‘chick lit’ This is her thirteenth novel and I admit to having read most of them, as her writing has always been enjoyable when I feel the need for some romantic escapism. However I was disappointed with this one as it even lacked a plot just a typical theme, take two very different women Jo and Dora, both sworn off men until they fall for the charms of Marcus and Tom. Neither of the romances felt
Rebecca
Jun 25, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
Girl was with some dude her whole life and right before they were to get married she leaves him and joins her best friends mother on a barge she is house-boat sitting. Of course like the second she gets there, she meets another Dude. The mother's husband has left her a few years back and she is still trying to figure her life out as they were together for like ever. She ends up falling for the Dude that owns the barge.

As chick-lit goes, I kind of liked this one. The Girl was kind of lame, but at
Beth
Jul 22, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
This was such a light-hearted, warm read and I really enjoyed it. I loved both Jo and Dora and really wanted things to go well for them both after their relationships go so wrong. The story was interesting with the two of them renting and living on a barge which has to be taken to Holland for repairs to be done. All the characters on the voyage I really liked with the exception of Carole who I couldn't stand and I was pleased when she left. Philip was really weak and untrustworthy and I thought ...more
Adeline Kam
Dec 20, 2015 Adeline Kam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for all. I deliberately took my time to finish this novel, and I wish I can go on reading it but all good things must come to an end. This is a fantastic novel. I love the characters, the settings, their jobs, the food menu they prepared, their adventures, the love stories....it's like I am in the story when I am reading this novel. A perfect love story of 2 couples....well, everything about this book is wonderful. Easy breezy read, great environment, wonderful characters, de ...more
Jacqueline
Strange thing but I tried to read this earlier in the year and had to abandon it. Picked it up again this week and actually enjoyed it. I suspect it's because it's been a while since I read a Katie Fforde and so I've stopped noticing the similarities in character and plot that occur in each one. Much like the others, everyone gets what you expect at the end and everyone is happy. There was lots of boat detail in this one again - the book and I could have done without it, but otherwise, fine.
Trish
Apr 21, 2013 Trish rated it did not like it
I must stop adopting books from my friends' book club pile. This is awful drivel. I finished it and then read something else she wrote, which was equally as unlikeable.

Characters are all shells with little to no growth and very trite. It reminds me of a straw man type situation-- something bad happens to someone good, good person is just so utterly amazing and awesome, everyone loves them, of course something good ends up happening, hunk falls for them, etc. Blech. You can see the endings from
Marion Grassie
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Big thanks to Arrow Books! The following is my considered review of the book.
This is a lightweight holiday read for lovers of chick-lit. Enjoyable enough but predictable and lacking a little substance to the story. Also, I found some of the characters rather irritating, being either weak or unlikeable. However, I loved the barge setting and the locations which brought back memories of boating holidays of my own. An easy read, pleasant
Dani
Nov 02, 2011 Dani rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
Terrible book. Terrible writing. The storyline is alright although you can smell the ending from a mile or two off.
There are so man mistakes (words missing) in this book I should make a list and complain to the author. :(

The names of the two main characters are Jo(anna) and Dora...which to me was very confusing. I constantly had to go back and check the name to see who I was reading about. I'm sure they could've just used a name like Anne and Dora.
Debbie Gascoyne
Feb 22, 2009 Debbie Gascoyne rated it liked it
Shelves: chick_lit, romance
Sweet and fun. Katie Fforde is a real "guilty pleasure" for me - absolutely empty froth, but with a little bit of sly wit and featuring likeable characters. They're all about a slightly hopeless woman who "finds herself" and finds love in the process, and this one's no different. Maybe I enjoyed this one more than usual because one of the two female protagonists is a middle-aged woman who finds herself as a free spirit and has great sex in the meantime.
CLM
Feb 12, 2008 CLM rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I love Katie Fforde but this read as a tired retread of earlier/better books, with tired and cliched characters. Moreover, if there had been one more mention of Jo's preoccupation with menopause I would have tossed the book across the room. Maybe Fforde thinks her audience is all of a certain age and shares these concerns but it does not mesh with escapist fiction.
Ilse
May 18, 2014 Ilse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ik hou van de steil van Katie Fforde, ze heeft iets dat er voor zorgt dat je begint in haar boeken en niet meer wil stoppen met lezen.
een grote portie romantiek, een klein beetje spanning en een leuk verhaal.
personages van verschillende pluimages en je hebt een boek waarin iedereen zich wel kan vinden (al is het maar dat je zo graag op 1 van de personages zou lijken).
maw een aanrader!!!
Aug 22, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
This was a great summer read; a romantic novel with one dimensional characters and a plot that is utterly predictable. Having red several great books recently I wanted something that was easy to read and a quick escape. Like a cup of sherbet between courses, this was just what I needed to cleanse the palate. Katie Ffode does this genre very well.
DJ =^^=
Listening to audio book so could be the reason why I am giving up on this book. The book is okay but very slow in my opinion. It's targeting to an older chick-lit crowd which doesn't bother me but the main character is annoying me. Again not sure if it's the narrator or just the book in general. May try to pick this up again in the future.
Bieke
Mar 05, 2012 Bieke rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
I must say I was a bit disappointed with this book. I always love reading Katie Fforde but I really had to drag myself through this one. I did read a dutch translation and I hope a lot has to do with that, but it was like reading a children's book.
After two chapters you could already know how the book would end, I think the book could have at least 100 pages less.
Petra Ruiter
Jan 11, 2015 Petra Ruiter rated it did not like it
I knew it would be light reading. But did not expect that there would be no plot, no interesting characters and actually no depth what so ever. Plenty of predictable situation and none of them remotely entertaining. It has so many repeats and extra explanations that it was insulting. Don't waste precious time on this book.
Amanda Markham
Jan 05, 2015 Amanda Markham rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was really disappointed, having read several other books by the same author which I enjoyed. Nothing happens in this book until around page 238. There is no tension. No real character development. No excitement. It's all smoke, no flame.
Kim
Apr 24, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I love Katie Fforde books- and this one was really enjoyable. It was set on a barge again- like one of her previous books. You can curl up with this one and lose yourself in the story- knowing it is all going to end happily but enjoying the journey anyway.
Julie
Jun 11, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
This is not a book to read if you are looking for high literature, but if you fancy a bit of escapism it does the trick. Dora and Jo are two women who I came to are about during the book and I wanted to see how their lives turned out.
Naomi
Jul 08, 2011 Naomi rated it it was ok
Dora goes to live with Jo, her best friend’s mum, on a barge. It is a romantic story where Dora meets Tom and Jo meets Marcus.

This book was ok but it was boring most of the way through the book.
Around the Year i...: Going Dutch, by Katie Fforde 1 12 Jan 30, 2016 07:53AM
  • The Magic of Christmas
  • The Beach Hut
  • The Birds And The Bees
  • It's a Kind of Magic
  • Must Be Love (Talyton St George, #2)
  • Good At Games
  • Love Potions
  • The Love Academy
Catherine Rose Gordon-Cumming was born 27 September 1952 in England, UK, the daughter of Shirley Barbara Laub and Michael Willoughby Gordon-Cumming. Her grandfather was Sir William Gordon-Cumming. Her sister is fellow writer Jane Gordon-Cumming. Katie married Desmond Fforde, cousin of the also writer Jasper Fforde. She has three children: Guy, Francis and Briony and didn't start writing until afte ...more
More about Katie Fforde...