Start by marking “Living Dangerously” as Want to Read:
Living Dangerously

Living Dangerously

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,078 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Love will find a way. A wonderfully romantic novel from the No. 1 Sunday Times bestselling author of Recipe for Love, A French Affair and The Perfect Match.

Polly Cameron is happy being thirty-five and celibate, living in a small Gloucestershire town with a possessive cat for company and a Rayburn for comfort. After all, a relationship would only complicate things...

But Po
Published June 5th 2003 by Arrow (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Living Dangerously, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Dangerously

Amy (Turn the Page)
Dec 29, 2012 Amy (Turn the Page) rated it did not like it
Not quite sure why I was so determined to finish this, other than it was undemanding and I was bored.

I've grown to hate Ffordes characters. The women always act like they're about 60, despite supposedly being quite young, but are always innocent, sweet, naive and old fashioned while the men are always much older, overly protective and patronising, inevitably calling them (or implying) 'you silly little thing' one way or another. The woman stubbornly holds on to her ideas of independence and ref
Jewel
Jan 24, 2008 Jewel rated it liked it
Shelves: anglophilia
Poorly edited and lacks the character development I've grown to expect of her, but I love this author and if you're a romantic at all, she's always a nice read.
Kate
Feb 26, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
I found that this story took me a while to get into but once I did it was definitely addictive – I really wanted to find out what Polly would decide to do with her life.

Polly is a cautious character who is happy living the single and celibate life, she had some not so great experiences when she was younger and this has left her unwilling to jump into the dating scene. Her friends and mother all urge her to give men a chance and they keep trying to set her up, this has some funny consequences tha
localfreak
Aug 19, 2014 localfreak rated it did not like it
Shelves: wouldn-t-re-read
I always feel slightly mean giving a book 1 star but I have to say I didn't enjoy this book and I think the worst part of it was I felt like it COULD quite easily have been a book I enjoyed- if the characters communicated even slightly better throughout the majority of the book instead of perpetually arguing and yet insisting they were in love with the other in a way that just felt rather confusingly rushed. I'll be honest, though, the main thing that put me off and threw me out of the story wer ...more
Jill Robertson
Jan 12, 2016 Jill Robertson rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Pure fluff, but a quick, enjoyable summer read.
The best line? When someone tells our heroine that she should live life to the full and take chances, she says something like....
'I already live dangerously. I read library books in the bath'.
Neenee
Feb 05, 2014 Neenee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-2014
Enjoyable. A typical chic-lit. When your brain wants a quick chocolatey sugary fix, this is for you. Though its cover illustrator obviously hasn't read the book. Polly's not that skinny as in the cover.
Diana
May 26, 2007 Diana rated it it was amazing
This is another modern take of Pride and Prejudice, but in Fforde's deft hands, it truly shines. It's her first book and unlike most romance authors, her inexperience does not show. In fact, this and The Rose Revived are her best books. She's gotten too formularic as she has continued writing.

As in all of Fforde's books, you've got the artsy heroine (Polly) who's set in her ways (making pottery, living frugally and celibate) but has her whole world changed when she meets a rich, but aloof man (D
Ruthven
Oct 21, 2015 Ruthven rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The protagonist got on my nerves more often than not (okay, I get it, you're unhappy and you're fat and poor, Jesus, I felt sorry for you at first but there's only so much self-pity I can take), and her relationship (if I can call it that) with her love interest developed entirely inexplicably, with absolutely no chemistry.
Her (lack of a) sexual past was only ever discussed with her friends and inside her head, and I thought maybe the guy she's knockin' boots with should be told about it as well
Helena Chiara
Jul 01, 2014 Helena Chiara rated it liked it
Just like the slogan, love will definitely find its way...

The book starts off pretty slow and quiet confusing but its not short of funny musings from a 30-something woman. Polly is witty but her stubborn feminist self gets on my nerves. No wonder there's so much on feminists. Although i agree that women should independent on this day and age but i would've liked Polly more if she understands the time and place to show that side of her. For a 30 something she's quiet childish at some parts that i
Sandee
Jun 10, 2012 Sandee rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books. I read it over and over again. It includes three of my favorite things--A strong sassy heroine, a village in England and a truly amazing romance. I love, love love this book!
Bettina
Jun 04, 2012 Bettina rated it it was ok
Actually not really a good book, or a good story... BUT just too good to read! Very amusing, very romantic, I enjoyed it a lot.
Nienke
Awesome book, it went totally the unexpected way, but the good way :)
Jo
Dec 19, 2008 Jo rated it liked it
An easy relaxing read. Perfect for an exhausted, wet Monday night!
Heleen
Oh, how I enjoyed the book! But not because it was such a good story. But having decided to (re)read all of Katie Fforde's books from first to last, I had to begin with this one.
I started off thinking I had already read the book. Such is the way of a chick-lit, which all follow the same structure/story, but about one quarter in, realized I had not. Of course I knew how the story was going to end, but not the events that would take it there.
Here characters, especially David, felt a bit flat. He
Tali
Oct 18, 2012 Tali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Although I took longer to read this novel than I usually do with Katie Fforde novels, I actually really liked this book. The composition of the heroine, Polly, is really well done and although she has her issues and quirks, like most romantic heroines do, Fforde has managed to write her in a way where she doesn't become too quirky or contrived as a character. Being able to stand reading the protagonist's POV without wanting to bang your head against a desk is always a nice surprise. As for the s ...more
Marjorie
Feb 23, 2015 Marjorie rated it liked it
One of Fforde's earlier books. It was a good read but the main character was another one of those annoying women who are courted by a considerate, handsome, wealthy, and very much in love man, and make trouble for themselves because they have these dumb scruples about being seen as marrying for the money, or losing their independence when it's quite clear the man has no interest in their becoming dependent on them, and of course the woman is madly in love back but... yada, yada, yada.
Catherine
Mar 23, 2009 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing
Ria
Jun 18, 2013 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Polly Cameron is happy being single, independent and living her life the way she wants to with her cat Selina even though her well meaning friends and mother are desperate to see her married and settled down.
When she accepts a dinner invitation from her friend Melissa and meets David Rocking Hill her ideas on her life are turned upside down due to the sparkling mutual attraction between them.
Offset against a variety of Polly's escapades including her penchant for pottery, her save the buildings
Emily
Oct 24, 2014 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Fairly typical chic-lit. Had to keep reminding me the heroine was supposed to be mid-thirties, she acted/thought more like she was in her fifties. The ending was a bit abrupt and too unrealistic. One of those stories where the author had to blatantly write what was happening because it didn't come across in the action or dialogue. Having said that, it was an enjoyable enough read, and I'm pretty sure Helen Fielding read this book before writing 'Bridget Jones'.
Amira
May 24, 2015 Amira rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Not my favourite Katie Fforde, but this wasn't bad by any means. The characters did feel a little one-dimensional, but I was able to look passed it. One thing that did slightly annoy me was Fforde's constant reference of feminism as a trait of Poppy's which normally would be a great thing, but here it did feel like a label with no real belief behind it.

2.5/5
Nina Levison
May 05, 2014 Nina Levison rated it really liked it
This story was slow to get going with the introduction of a lot of characters quite quickly. It soon settled down and was an enjoyable read with lots of Katie Fforde's trademark humour. The story zipped along with a satisfactory ending. I enjoyed the humour and Polly's tangled love life and looked forward to the next few chapters each night.
Leticia
British chick lit must-haves:
1. words like mawkish, pernickety and sybaritic
2. the reader lost at about 30% of the book
3. oblivious h
4. silent strong Mr Darcy like type versus another love interest to distract the h
5. great love speeches.
Print Teach
Aug 06, 2015 Print Teach rated it really liked it
This is a lovely, easy summer read. A traditional boy-meets-girl-they-hate-each-other-she-doesn't-realise-how-attractive-she-is-they-live-happily-ever novel. It's well written and fun: you're not going to learn anything from it, and it's not ground breaking literature - but it is a really pleasant way to spend a few hours.

** Free copy received through Goodreads giveaway **
Teresa
I'm torn between giving this three and four stars. I did enjoy reading this book, but for me, there probably wasn't enough of the hero on the page. And when he was on the page, albeit it was from Polly's POV, I was never sure if he was "attractive" enough - he did have his moments when he was though.

I suppose this book didn't grab me like some others have, and I'm thinking about the characters even when I'm not reading it. However, it delivers the HEA ending we all want in a romance, and I did
Ness
Aug 30, 2015 Ness rated it liked it
KF's books are fluff; entertaining but to be honest, they are all formulaic, predictable and anyone with a GCSE in English could do the same.
Caitlin
Nov 05, 2015 Caitlin rated it liked it
A typical romance novel that is easy to dip in and out of when on the go or a binge read on the beach.
Kellie Mackrell
Sep 04, 2015 Kellie Mackrell rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Did not finish, read the start but did not capture me and I have plenty of other books I would rather read
Gemma Brown
Apr 29, 2014 Gemma Brown rated it liked it
Shelves: katie-fforde
A nice book to read, took a while to get into the book but perfect to take with you on long journeys.
Sue
Nov 27, 2014 Sue rated it liked it
Not up to her usual standard, but still an enjoyable read. A little predictable and the characters lacked depth but it passed the time pleasantly enough.
Tuesday's Child
Oct 08, 2014 Tuesday's Child rated it really liked it
Cute read. I do like her characters, they have a wittiness to them :)
  • Fen
  • Heaven Sent
  • Chocolate Wishes
  • Open House
  • An Autumn Crush
  • All You Need is Love
  • Must Be Love (Talyton St George, #2)
  • Rescuing Rose
  • Busy Woman Seeks Wife
Catherine Rose Gordon-Cumming was born 27 September 1952 in England, UK, the daughter of Shirley Barbara Laub and Michael Willoughby Gordon-Cumming. Her grandfather was Sir William Gordon-Cumming. Her sister is fellow writer Jane Gordon-Cumming. Katie married Desmond Fforde, cousin of the also writer Jasper Fforde. She has three children: Guy, Francis and Briony and didn't start writing until afte ...more
More about Katie Fforde...

“No, I pay the newsagent. And for someone so pernickety about whose business is whose, you’re asking a lot of very personal questions.” 0 likes