Start by marking “Fen” as Want to Read:
Fen

Fen (McCabe Sisters #2)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,275 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Fen McCabe has only ever been in love with one man: a 19th-century sculptor called Julius Fetherstone. And as Fen starts a new job at Trust Art, dreaming of her hero and his missing masterpiece, her sisters harbour a secret hope that she might meet a living, breathing man instead.
Published November 5th 2002 by Arrow (first published May 30th 2001)

The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas EvansAfter the Leaves Fall by Nicole BaartGet a Life by Nadine GordimerAbout a Boy by Nick HornbyLolita by Vladimir Nabokov
authors name(s) start with n
79th out of 134 books — 11 voters
Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierMacbeth by William ShakespeareDracula by Bram StokerHamlet by William ShakespeareEmma by Jane Austen
One Name as a Title
220th out of 394 books — 142 voters

More lists with this book...

Soho_black
Jul 31, 2016 Soho_black rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, owned-books
“How much do you know about art history?” This was not the response I was expecting when I complained to my wife that Freya North’s novel “Cat”, set in the world of the Tour de France, was annoying me by mixing fact and fiction unreliably and spoiling the reading experience for me. Fortunately, it would soon become clear that my wife was neither trying to avoid talking about the book nor being oblique.

“Fen” is the name Fenella McCabe, the middle of the three McCabe sisters, usually goes by. In “
Eloisa
Jun 23, 2009 Eloisa rated it really liked it
Like a cuppa with cinnamon and honey on a cold cold cold day.
Dark-Draco
May 02, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I really am not a fan of chick-lit, but when my sister wanted to get rid of a lot of books, I couldn't let them leave the house without being read! I was pleasently surprised by how much I liked it.

Fen McCabe is an art historian and has only ever loved one man in her life - a long dead sculpter. When she moves to London to help archive at the Tate, she hopes to find out more about him. Instead, she meets handsome, funny Matthew, just on the rebound from his latest girlfriend. And just when thing
Josephine Barly
Jun 09, 2014 Josephine Barly rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Oh, Fen.
The first book I picked by Freya North. I was smitten with her, and with the glimpses into the McCabe world.
I had a few issues with the elder relationship (clearly there's something there that should be spoken of with the psychologist), and the twist at the end was a bit creepy.
But I loved the characters. Matt was dreamy, yet there was something that made him realistic and not just a random guy from chick-lit with no development at all. James I could respect, but I was never particuar
Christine Blachford
Feb 06, 2014 Christine Blachford rated it liked it
Plot: Fen’s mad on an artist of old and she gets a job at a museum archiving their information on him. Through her obsession of him, she becomes involved with Matt and James and begins to fall for both of them. In the end though, she needs to choose where her priorities lie, and someone is bound to get hurt.

Characters: Fen is very interesting, her obsessive looking at each of her hands in turn, looking for an answer is something I can relate to, although I don’t actually do that. I may start tho
Hannie
Nov 21, 2013 Hannie rated it liked it
Fen is het vervolg van Cat, het eerste deel uit de vierdelige serie over drie zussen. Cat vond ik wat minder, maar Fen is gelukkig een stuk leuker. In het begin moest ik er even inkomen, maar daarna is het een leuk en hartverwarmend boek. Het boek gaat over Fen die verliefd wordt op twee mannen. Ze heeft moeite om tussen hen te kiezen. Verder draait dit boek om het werk van een overleden kunstenaar, Julius Featherstone. In Cat werd er veel uitgeweid over de Tour de France, een favoriet onderwerp ...more
Kirsty Darbyshire
Entertainingly frivolous. Freya North's characters are interchangable up to a point. After that point they're good but the interchangable bit could use some added variety. Maybe it's just because these aren't my usual style of book.

Sometimes I read books and think: perhaps I won't admit to this one on my website. I wonder if I could just put my thoughts onto the books page and bypass the weblog page. But there's a dishonesty in that. It'd be like sneaking the News of the World inside the Times.

Keriann Davey
At the start of this book there was use of a word I hate & I thought that pretty much set my feelings towards the book, (please don't get me wrong I'm not a prude but I don't like those sort of words in books unless it's crime fiction) however explicit language aside, I did really enjoy this book, art is not something I am interested in but as a sub plot for this book it was really enjoyable, Fen makes some questionable decisions but this is what kept me hooked to this book, I just wanted to ...more
Samantha
Aug 08, 2013 Samantha rated it liked it
Re-reading this I didn't enjoy it a much as I remembered. Freya North is the only chick-lit author I'll go within a mile of - and I rate her all the more highly for that as I wish I *did* enjoy more light-hearted, lightweight romance stuff. Yet Fen was one of her least satisfying - mostly because the plot and characters feel unresolved, like she didn't work them through enough. The whole threesome subplot is also just creepy! Not just because I'm a boring old prude but because none of the charac ...more
Ilse
May 30, 2015 Ilse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
het is het 3de boek dat ik van deze schrijfster lees, maar helaas ook het slechtste boek.

Ik heb met momenten mezelf moeten dwingen om verder te lezen. Ik heb dan ook heel lang gedacht dat ik dit boek maar 2 sterren zou geven. Maar dan kom je aan de laatste 50-70 blz en pas toen had het boek me beet en wou ik blijven doorlezen. Dat is dan ook de reden dat het toch nog 3 sterren krijgt.

verwarrend boek, tijdsindeling lijkt soms niet te kloppen, de mijmeringen van een personage,.. sorry is echt nie
Sandy D.
May 05, 2012 Sandy D. rated it liked it
Very British chick lit/romance - I read a lot of British authors and this one (which I see was actually published in the UK, so not sold in the US - wonder how it came to the library book shop?) still had a ton of unfamiliar vocabulary. And a lot more casual sex not involving the central romance than is usual in the genre. I liked it a lot, but then got bored by the end because I just didn't care about the characters that much. Still, I'm interested in checking out other books by North.
Bethany Mooney
Jun 11, 2015 Bethany Mooney rated it liked it
It started off well and I found it really entertaining and easy to read, but I felt the book dragged on a bit longer than it ought to and the ending was just neither here nor there. I expected a lot more to happen and when it didn't happen and nothing else either - it kind of disappointed. However it was a fun read and wasn't a chore in any way!
Jul 12, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Freya North book I've read and I'm not sure yet whether I want to read any others. On the one hand, I wanted to continue reading to find out what happened, but on the other I found myself skimming quite a few pages and trying to rush to the end. I enjoyed it overall but felt it needed better editing.
Kirsty
Mar 11, 2008 Kirsty rated it it was ok
I did enjoy this book eventually - it took me a while to get into. I felt that the start of the book was too long winded - I like to be pulled into a book in the first chapter or so. Overall though the plot was good and the rest of the book was well written. Will probably check out the books about the other sisters.
Kay
Jan 06, 2008 Kay rated it it was amazing
I got this book free from a magazine when I was around 14 or 15 but only read it when I was 16. I really enjoyed this book, as it takes you on a journey with the main character and is really insightful in to a real relationships. After reading this one I found I wanted to get more books by the same author.
Bev Taylor
Nov 25, 2013 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it
one to just lose yourself in

also if u have read any of her books u will immediately fall in with cat and pip again. also everyone should have an uncle like theirs!

just found that the link between her 2 boyfriends - or buses - was a bit far fecthed

small point

bev
Emilia
Jun 09, 2015 Emilia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really young when I read this, and I found it boring and disturbing, and it has sort of left a scar, so I doubt I'll ever return to it. I think that if I were to pick it up for the first time now, I would probably enjoy it more.
K.h.k
Jan 12, 2013 K.h.k rated it did not like it
Shelves: hated-it
I say that I 'read' this book but actually I got to the last chapter and just... couldn't... keep... reading. Why did I inflict this contrived drivel upon myself? Get thee behind me Satan! Will I never learn!?
Violet Gregory
Aug 07, 2013 Violet Gregory rated it really liked it
Fen is my favourite of the three McCabe girls, and I especially liked the way this book dealt with the dilemma of loving two men at once ... shame the resolution ended up being so conventional.
Karen
May 23, 2016 Karen rated it did not like it
Could not get into this book at all, it was awful.
Stuck to my own rule where I never give up on a book until I have read 50 pages but unfortunately I couldn't go any further.
Mariana
Good mindless read. Disappointed that there are no Featherstones. Half expected them to be real after reading Cat and Pip and learning more about the Tour and clowning.
Claire
Nov 15, 2008 Claire rated it liked it
I got this free with a magazine & was the first I had read by this author. I didn't know who Fen would end up with & was left guessing all the way through.
David Lindley
Jun 24, 2014 David Lindley rated it liked it
Girly (the ending is happy) view of relationships, love and sex (bloke version would be sex, sex and sex?) grafted around an art based story.
Jirinka (sony08)
Apr 17, 2010 Jirinka (sony08) rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
This was ok...I didn't like the language and it made it quite hard to get into this book, but the story was nice and it was a light read.

6/10
Joanne Rawson
May 12, 2013 Joanne Rawson rated it it was amazing
A delightful story, light-hearted and most enjoyable. All characters are amusing in their own way.
Looking forward to my next Freya North book.
Anke
Mar 23, 2015 Anke rated it it was ok
Leuk boekje.
Ooit gratis bij een Engels tijdschrift gezeten, dat is ook alles dat je ervan kunt verwachten!
Rachel
Jun 24, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing

A good read generally. Some nice scenes in the countryside and art world and a rounded ending.
JG ~ Jezabell Girl & Friends
I read these books years ago and loved every one of the McCabe sister's stories.
Eleionomae
Aug 02, 2010 Eleionomae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Typisch gevalletje chicklit, maar leest wel lekker weg, net als Pip en Cat.
Nicole Turner
Jun 13, 2016 Nicole Turner rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, I couldn't predict the ending and it was amazing!
  • Living Dangerously
  • Tall Poppies
  • The One Before The One
  • Love Lives
  • An Eligible Bachelor
  • Four Play (Lodes Chronicles, #3)
  • Chocolate Wishes
  • Seeing Stars
  • Operation Sunshine
  • Still Thinking Of You
  • A Question Of Love
  • Bare Necessity
  • If I Were You
Freya North is the author of many bestselling novels which have been translated into numerous languages. She was born in London but lives in rural Hertfordshire, where she writes from a stable in her back garden. A passionate reader since childhood, Freya was originally inspired by Mary Wesley, Rose Tremain and Barbara Trapido: fiction with strong and original characters. To hear about events, com ...more
More about Freya North...

McCabe Sisters (4 books)
  • Cat
  • Pip
  • Home Truths

“Tell me that you refuse to allow me to be so stupid. Tell me that you will not tolerate this relationship being over just when it was on the verge of really taking off.” 25 likes