Start by marking “Chloe” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  761 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Chloë Cadwaller’s godmother’s dying wish was for her goddaughter to travel the four countries of the United Kingdom – one in each season of the year. Join Chloë on the adventure of a lifetime as she learns to celebrate the beauty of Britain and discover love, lust, life (and a man for each season).
Published November 5th 2002 by Arrow (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Chloe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chloe

Rosie Review
Ah, another Freya North original. I'm working my way through the whole back catalogue. The early books have been re-released with updated artwork so I'm taking the opportunity to re-read. Freya's writing style is second to none, she has such a way of writing Chick Lit Romance without making it seem trashy or off putting. Her humorous, witty attention to detail is refreshing - which is funny really seeing this book is about fifteen years old! You always know what to expect with a Freya North nove ...more
Gill Thomas
It was crap. I don't think Freya North's writing suits me...
Katherine
This is a book I casually chose from my mum's collection in my parents' bookcase at the house where I grew up as at the time, I had read all my novels that interested me, I had exhausted the teen collection at my local library, and wanted something light-hearted to read. This book will not disappoint. After reading this, I could not find many other novels by this author that I enjoyed, besides Cat.
Hanna Grace
It was a bit boring at first. Like nothing really was happening. But when you get to the part when William saw Chloe for the first time, and knew (as the reader) that he fell inlove with her at that moment, you kept going.And then he saw her at Wales while she was riding her bike and with her red curls. Wondering if the will even meet personally or are they going to see each other at the places that Jocelyn, Chloe's godmother, wanted her to go. And Mr and Mrs Andrews as her confidant, and Willia ...more
nimrodiel
This has to be my favorite book by Freya North read so far. I loved reading how Chloe's travels became such a journey of self discovery. Plus, it's not every day one finds a story with a potter as a main character. The clay artist in me squealed with happiness when William was introduced, and I loved the descriptions of his studio.
Jacqueline
I'm really enjoying my read through Freya North's back catalogue. This was a really easy, enjoyable read. I enjoyed it so much I will probably keep it for a re-read. Lots happens, there's no fewer than three gorgeous chaps (not at once) with just the right amount of build up for each one. Good stuff.
Tasneem
This was the first Freya North I read and it really convinced me to read more of her work. I adored the characterisation, the romance, and the actual langauge of the book. She's a very good author with a keen eye for detail that doesn't over-power the narrative voice.
Josephine Barly
I never thought I'd finish this book. It just dragged on and on. Too many descriptions, not enough action. I get it, Chloe is meant to be taking everything in, and just enjoying the ride. But...no. That's not how I like my books. I prefer them to be more developing. I liked the character, and I appreciated her quirks, and I liked the male characters as well, but as an overall book, I just found it too slow paced.
Freya North has written better books; this was okay, although I'm not sure I'd reco
Sally
This was a second reading and I enjoyed it all over again. I love the fact that other people converse with inanimate objects, in Chloe's case Mr. and Mrs. Andrews from the Gainsborough painting who travel everywhere with her in the form of a postcard.

It's a novel that limits itself to Britain, not feeling it necessary to look overseas for beautiful backdrops. It's also a work of it's place and time. No texting, no internet. Letters were written, telephone calls were missed if you were out. Ther
Maryzj
This was a fun light read, and although it was obvious how it would end, it was entertaining to read how they got there, with plenty of clever touches such as all the near-misses, Barbara the goat, and talking to the Andrews.
Who doesn't dream of a big fat inheritance and a year-long holiday!

It's great to catch-up with Freya's earlier books, having missed them when they were first published.
JG ~ Jezabell Girl & Friends
I loved Chloe although it took me a little while to figure out who she was talking to all the time!!!! This is a great story and a one which I have read more than once, albeit years ago.
Mariana
Not bad. I like the premise of traveling around the UK. I found Carl's accent annoying to read though - surely we Kiwis don't sound like that!

Cat is still my favourite Freya North book so far. It gave me the Tour de France. :)
Jo
Let me start first by saying that my review of this book I accept is not completely fair in that I did not read the book in full... but my rating is so low simply because I found the writing style to be so descriptive that after giving the book a good 10 chapters or so I just couldn't be bothered to continue reading.

I know, as a book lover, that this is a terrible statement to make but unfortunately this book just did not hold my interest at all. This is the second Freya North book I've attempte
Hannie
Een aardig boek. Als haar tante overlijdt, krijgt Chloe de opdracht om elk seizoen een ander deel van GB te bezoeken. Het idee is wel grappig. Het boek leest redelijk makkelijk. Alleen het einde is wat langdradig. Hoewel ik het een leuk boek vond om te lezen, is het niet heel speciaal. Daarom maar drie sterren.
Melda
Oct 17, 2014 Melda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Freya North Fans
Not gonna be one of my favorite Freya Norths. I have read most of her books but this one somehow didn't do it for me. Maybe I read it at the wrong time, I don't know. It definitely motivated me to plan a trip to the UK though. I guess I will start with Cornwall area and maybe so a separete Scotland trip, who knows?
Michelle
Only read fifty pages but ten was enough to know I wouldn't finish it. Hated the writing style and too many animals with human names that id never remember. Hate not to finish a book I've started but couldn't face picking this book up ever again
Jenka Watteny
Tof boek, leest vlot en verveelt niet. Mooie chicklit!
Rosalie Prins
In dit genre (chicklit) absoluut een leuk boek! Origineel verhaal, lekker geschreven. Chloe is goed gezelschap op een strandstoel aan zee op een willekeurige vakantiebestemming.
Danielle
This is a fantastic read I really enjoyed it,it was really easy to imagine being Chloe- I really felt like I was there myself.
I couldn't put it down!
Andreea
When I started reading it, I thought it was boring, but it turned out to be just fine, still nothing extraordinary. I absolutely loved its ending.
Wordsrthoughtsok
really lovely painterly written book. more than just your average chick lit. if you're a more demanding reader i'd recommend this.
Chloe
just brilliant i love all the different twists she manages to put into this book it opens your mind about love and life
Julia
it was quite good - though you do know how it is going to end - it is just how going to get there!
The Cats Mother
This was a lovely book - easy reading and a cute story, better than your average chick-lit."
Kate
Jan 06, 2013 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
A nice romantic holiday read. Doesn't pretend to be anything other that what it is :)
Suzanne
Pleasant enough, kept my interest even though some pages I had to scimm through.
Julie
  • Something Borrowed
  • Hubble Bubble
  • Things We Knew Were True
  • She's The One
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • Three In A Bed
  • Plan B
  • City Girl
  • The Happy Home for Broken Hearts
  • Stand by Your Man
  • Seraphim (Changelings, #1)
  • Sundowners
  • Head Over Heels
Freya North was born on 21 November 1967 in London, England, UK. She gave up a PhD scholarship to write her first novel, Sally. For 4 years she turned deaf ears to parents and friends who pleaded with her to ‘get a proper job’. She went on the dole and did a succession of freelance and temping jobs to support “writing days” every now and then. In 1996 she approached one of the UK’s top literary ag ...more
More about Freya North...
Pillow Talk Secrets Chances Fen Cat