Start by marking “Goddess of the Night (Daughters of the Moon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Goddess of the Night (Daughters of the Moon, #1)

Goddess of the Night (Daughters of the Moon #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  9,988 Ratings  ·  384 Reviews
Vanessa, who has always had the special power to become invisible, discovers that she and her best friend Catty, a time-traveler, are goddesses of the moon who must fight together to overcome the evil Atrox.
Published August 1st 2000 by "Volo"

To ask other readers questions about Goddess of the Night, please sign up.

Carrie Ann Luikens I think this will appeal mostly to girls between the ages of 14-18. It deals with typical teen dilemmas such as friendships, dating and discovering…moreI think this will appeal mostly to girls between the ages of 14-18. It deals with typical teen dilemmas such as friendships, dating and discovering who they are. However, this story is pretty much entirely fantasy-based. It is a fairly tame book, but it might not be appropriate for kids younger than 14 who are scared of demonic-type characters. The "dark forces" the Daughters of the Moon encounter in this book, called the Atrox, are teenagers who have been sucked into a demonic world. An older teen would probably not find this scary at all, but a younger child might.

I read this book as an adult and really enjoyed the juxtaposition of mythological themes (those of the light and those of the dark) that are interwoven into our modern world (this story is set in Los Angeles). I think any teenage girl or young adult who likes fantasy, adventure, mythology, history and/or ancient cultures would enjoy reading this. (less)
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie MeyerThe Mortal Instruments Boxed Set by Cassandra ClareVampire Academy Collection by Richelle Mead
Series Reading List
1,291 books — 3,077 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Must Read YA Fiction!
1,663 books — 2,740 voters

More lists with this book...

Becky
Jan 12, 2010 Becky added it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Read this book if: you really, really love Sailor Moon.
Britt
Feb 20, 2010 Britt rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who enjoy the show Charmed
My boyfriend does a pretty spot-on impression of the show Charmed. According to him, there is really no need for a script because the same thing happens in every episode.

Charmed, the series, in five lines.

“Um, duh, we’re sisters and we’re witches and we’re quirky with a side of sass.”
Demon: “Rahr! I’m evil”
“Um, DUH, we’re WITCHES!”
Demon: “Oh noes, I’m slain!”
“Wooty-woo! We’re witches and we’re at a club and we’re havin' a good time!”

End scene.

I don’t know if I should be concerned that my boyfr
Garrett
Jun 22, 2010 Garrett rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite series ever! They're getting difficult to find nowadays, but if you stumble upon a copy, definitely read it! You'll become engrossed in Lynne Ewing's world, and if you're a fan of Greek mythology blended into a modern-day setting, this is one you definitely don't want to miss!

***

5/29/11
Just finished reading the book again! It was great because I noticed things I hadn't seen the first time. I love delving back into Lynne Ewing's world and reuniting with old characters I fell i
Tessie
Oct 28, 2010 Tessie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, have-in-english
Wow, I haven't read this book for ages, so I didn't remember much from it.
But I must say it was a lot better when I was younger.

It really feels like this book is for the younger generation.
But any young adult can read it too.
The first book (this one) is more like an introduction, we get to know the characters and know where they come from, and of course the abilities they're possessing.

This might be good to know and learn before you read, just in case so you won't get confused.
The abilities are:
Diane
Sep 04, 2015 Diane rated it it was ok
About a few weeks ago, I discovered one of my old notebooks from fifth grade where I used to write my stories about double agents and superhero girls with ice powers. Looking through it, I applauded my large vocabulary that I still utilize in my stories today, but winced at everything else. Also, if anyone can tell me what a PLOOTAR is, that would be greatly appreciated. I never finished the story so I wouldn't know.
Needless to say, that was my experience with this book, just without the timeles
Drucilla
Jan 16, 2013 Drucilla rated it liked it
Shelves: e
This is a review for the whole series (13 books). The idea for the series, super-powered girls based in Greek myth, was great. I also liked that each book had a different p.o.v.. Some of them were really interesting. Unfortunately, the series just drags on. It never feels like they gain any ground in their fight. To make matters worse, the author wraps up everything in a single book without any kind of build up at all. The reason for this is the cancellation of the sequel/companion series, Sons ...more
Alex
Jun 10, 2009 Alex rated it liked it
So I read this book last night, and upon reaching the last page, immediately closed it and grabbed the second book in the series. So it's not until this morning that I actually reflected upon how I felt about the book. Honestly, not sure if it was really that great or not. It was a VERY quick read and somewhat immature. But I think the reason I got so pulled into it was the mythological aspect. I've always been fascinated with the entire premise of mythology. I used to know all of the gods and g ...more
Desirae
Jan 07, 2011 Desirae rated it it was ok
Oh my goodness! I had the hardest time getting through this book. Every time I put it down I didn't want to pick it back up again. While in high school these were some of my favorite books and I thoroughly enjoyed them. This is a good perspective to look at them now because I see that I've grown up and matured but they are still great for teens. I have a new perspective on the subject matter now and I'm concerned that it idealizes what 14-15 year old girls think that they should look like. It co ...more
Jakii
Apr 07, 2015 Jakii rated it it was ok
Over all this book read like that Harry Potter fan fiction with Ebony Raven Darkness or whatever her name is. It's pretty ridiculous but a lot of fun to read out loud to your spouse who loved it as a kid.
Gus
Apr 04, 2010 Gus rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: very young readers
Recommended to Gus by: stupid amazon
Can't even finish it. I read a lot of teen books, but the writing on this is more similar to a first chapter book. Ugh. I eventually got to the point where if the author used the word "molecule" one more time, I was going to throw the book across the room (which I didn't...but I wanted to).
Yrsa
Apr 14, 2017 Yrsa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, read2017
Det här är en bok som jag tror att jag hittade första gången på Boktipset när jag var en aktiv medlem där. Det var ingen bok jag kunde få tag på på biblioteket så det blev aldrig av att jag läste den. Jag sprang på den på myrorna och såg min chans att se om den var något.
Jag måste säga att jag blev lite besviken. Den var inte det som jag nog hoppades på den första gången. Det känns som att Ewing inte riktigt kan bestämma sig för vilken målgrupp boken rör sig till. Ena stunden är det ganska läsk
Ted
Aug 05, 2011 Ted added it

Daughters of the Moon 1: Goddess of the Night by Lynne Ewing is an intriguing fantasy novel about Vanessa Cleveland, a Los Angeles teen who has the ability to disappear, but only when her emotions are strongest. She keeps this power secret from everyone except for her best friend, Cassie, who has the power to time jump. The two of them try to figure out why they have these powers and who is the mysterious person or creature that has been following Vanessa at night. Vanessa’s powers make her roma
Paranormal_Madness
Feb 11, 2013 Paranormal_Madness rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What I liked:
-Vanessa Cleveland. She was a likeable main character. She worried about typical things many teenagers worry about–like if a boy she had a crush on liked her back, how she looked, her grades, curfew–but she didn’t sound conceited or vain doing it. She had a pretty authentic teenage voice, and I felt like she always made the right choice, even if she was a little slow to believe what Maggie was telling her about her powers.
-Powers. They were as diverse as the characters in the story,
Koorihime-sama
CHECKED OUT THE BOOK FROM MY PUBLIC LIBRARY.

APART OF THE GOODREADS 2011 READING CHALLENGE.

2ND REVIEW. 1ST REVIEW IS HERE.

Review/Rating:

5 out of 5

Vanessa Cleveland has always want to be like other teenage girls, especially the part of dating and kissing boys without disappearing in front of them. So, what is she going to do when she starts dating Michael Saratoga? And to make matters worse someone has been following her. Has someone finally found out about her secret?

I decided to do a better revi
Veronica Morfi
Jan 18, 2014 Veronica Morfi rated it liked it
Rating: 3/5

Goddess of the Night is the very first book in the Daughters of the Moon series, which I believe consists of 13 books. So, this book was more of an introduction to the world and the characters. Even so, Goddess of the Night was a delight to read and I flew through it.

The main character, Vanessa has a secret power, she can become invisible, she and her best friend Catty were always special but neither knows why. But lately Vanessa feels the shadows creeping around her and someone is al
Bethany Ainsworth
This book was okay but not enjoyable. I would read the sequel though.

Problems I had with it:

1. Putting goddesses on the back.

2. A fight scene that did not happen. It was the necklaces that did most of the heavy lifting. The main character did nothing.

3. Why wear dresses and high heels to fight?

4. The main character is the 'key'. Predictable and the sure sign of a Mary-Sue.

5. Vanessa and Michael's relationship seem forced.

6. The overuse of the word molecule. I can't feel my molecules, so how can
Megan Scott
I originally read this back in middle school or high school, and while I remembered that I enjoyed it, I couldn't remember much else about it. Upon rereading it recently, I still enjoy it, but I've now noticed some flaws with it. For instance, the pacing is a bit uneven, slowly meandering along for most of the book and then rushing through the ending. Also, as much as I like Vanessa's love interest, Michael, their courtship is a bit tedious, with Vanessa constantly sending poor Michael mixed mes ...more
Luthien
When I was, I don't know, twelve or thirteen I guess, I checked this out from the library. I remember virtually nothing about it except that it was a complete 180 from anything I had read up to that point (or so I thought). It had teenagers who went to (I thought...I think?) risque parties and wore flashy clothes and basically did things well past my bedtime and the like. Also, I think it had some sort of goddesses...?

Anyway, I was totally obsessed with this one in particular because of its cove
Gene
Jul 04, 2013 Gene rated it liked it
GET BETTER COVERS. I didn't think of reading this until I finally braved the weird cover and read the summary. (What can I say, I judge books by their covers ._. ) Anyway, it was pretty good and interesting.
Esra
Mar 17, 2010 Esra rated it really liked it
Just finished reading Goddess of the Night. Great YA book, loved the story. Fast paced and interesting. Looking forward to reading the next few books in the series.
Sebrina
Aug 22, 2016 Sebrina rated it really liked it
A nice trip down memory lane. I haven't read this since high school, but it holds up. It sets up the rest of the series (or as much of it as I read all those years ago) well.
Samantha Louise
Jan 07, 2012 Samantha Louise rated it it was ok
In Goddess of the Night, 15-year-old Vanessa Cleveland, who can become invisible, learns that she is a Moon Goddess, a daughter of Selene (or whatever you wish to call her, for she has many names), born to protect all from the evil force of Atrox. At first, Vanessa and her best friend, Catty, who can time-travel and is also a daughter of the moon, are trying to figure out who is stalking Vanessa. But then Catty disappears, adding to the virtually nonexistent mystery in the story.

That said, the i
Sierra
Mar 06, 2017 Sierra rated it it was amazing
This series is the one that got me into reading when I was in middle school, so I decided to pick it back up to see if it was still as good as I remembered it being. I wasn't disappointed! This was a fun, easy read filled with girl power and friendship and I loved every minute of it! I definitely recommend for both younger and older readers alike!
Matra2710
Apr 17, 2013 Matra2710 rated it liked it
Sięgając po pierwszą część „Córek Księżyca” spodziewałam się lekkiej i przyjemnej lektury. To też otrzymałam. Książka nie była rewelacją, no, bo czego można się spodziewać, bo zwykłym paranormalu. Nie oczekiwałam jakieś wybitnej powieści, która zachwyci nas od pierwszej strony. Raczej lekkiej poczytajki, która stanowi przerwę pomiędzy ciężką fantastykę. I nie zawiodłam się.
Jak wyżej wspomniałam, książkę czyta się szybko i lekko. Historia jest banalna, ale wyjątkowa. Autorce można zarzucić kilka
Chelsea
Oct 08, 2014 Chelsea rated it liked it
I first started reading this series back in middle school and was completely engulfed in the witchy world of the characters. I was lucky enough to find books 1-9 at Goodwill several months ago, and now I’ve decided to reread them to see how I like them now.

The first book of the Daughters of the Moon series was a really fun and quick read. I read it mostly at night, which emphasized the slight creepiness of when Vanessa, the main character, was being followed. The writing was pretty juvenile, in
Thoughts of a Book Addict
Plot:
Vanessa just wants to be normal, not disappear in thin air when Michael tries to kiss her. That's not her only problem. She's being followed by someone and it might be because of her strange power to turn invisible. Who is she? What is she? One thing she does know -- she's in danger and the moon is the only thing that can keep her safe.

Review:
This book brings me so many memories. It's funny that every time I read it, I always have the same scenery in my head. Just like when I first read it
Charity
Mar 02, 2017 Charity rated it it was ok
Julia
Goddess of the Night is the beginning of a paranormal teen series "Daughters of the Moon." The series is about four teen girls who are secretly daughters of the Greek moon goddess Selene (yet for some reason they pray to her in Latin instead of Greek which I think would piss Selene off but whatever). These four plucky girls become friends and must unite against ancient EVIL and secret societies. Their powers are invisibility (Vanessa), time travel (Catty), mind reading (Serena) and premonition ( ...more
Heaven Ashlee
Jan 18, 2017 Heaven Ashlee rated it liked it
So I'm not sure why I gave this a 3 rather than a 4...I guess a 3.5 would be more accurate. I read this series when I was about 11-13 range (I don't remember exactly) and I remember eating it up like it was the greatest thing ever! I had grown up fueled on greek mythology so it was instantly a hit with me.

A decade+ later, and I'm looking at it with fresh eyes. The storyline is a bit vague in the first book; but knowing it's 13 books sort of lets that one go. The author spends many paragraphs des
Lynda Tatad
May 07, 2013 Lynda Tatad rated it really liked it
15 year old Vanessa and her best friend Catty are different from normal teens. Catty can travel back in time, and bring her friend Vanessa with her. Cathy's 'mom' found her when she was young, and knows about her unique talent. Vanessa's talent is a little different (and her mother doesn't know)... She turns invisible, her body can split into small particles and she can float on the wind. Her talent is more erratic, and when she gets excited or emotional, she can't control what happens, and when ...more
A little annoyed with the covers 2 17 May 08, 2014 04:30PM
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. YA group of girls in California with strange powers [s] 6 17 Apr 22, 2014 10:57PM
Which book was your favorite? 24 23 Nov 17, 2012 03:09PM
  • Kindred Spirits (T*Witches, #7)
  • Awakening (Sweep, #5)
  • Building a Mystery (T*Witches, #2)
  • Demon in My View (Den of Shadows, #2)
Lynne Ewing is an American author and a screen writer.

She always had to move around a lot when she was growing up because her father was in the Marine Corps. She has two sisters. Lynne graduated from high school in Lima, Peru after attending seven other schools. While she was in Peru, she learned to speak Spanish. She attended the University of California at Santa Barbara. When she was 30 years ol
More about Lynne Ewing...

Daughters of the Moon (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Into the Cold Fire (Daughters of the Moon, #2)
  • Night Shade (Daughters of the Moon, #3)
  • The Secret Scroll (Daughters of the Moon, #4)
  • The Sacrifice (Daughters of the Moon, #5)
  • The Lost One (Daughters of the Moon, #6)
  • Moon Demon (Daughters of the Moon, #7)
  • Possession (Daughters of the Moon, #8)
  • The Choice (Daughters of the Moon, #9)
  • The Talisman (Daughters of the Moon, #10)
  • The Prophecy (Daughters of the Moon, #11)