Start by marking “Harry Houdini : Young Magician” as Want to Read:
Harry Houdini : Young Magician

Harry Houdini : Young Magician (Childhood of Famous Americans)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A biography of Harry Houdini concentrating on his earlier years and the training that made him a master magician and escape artist.
Published April 30th 1991 by Aladdin (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Houdini , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harry Houdini

16joshuam
Who do you know who became one of the most famous people of all time by beginning his childhood only playing with pots and pans? You dont know? Well, I'm glad to tell you because I just recently read a book about someone like this. It is called Harry Houdini: Young Magician, by Kathryn Kilby Borland. As many probably know he was a magician and escape artist. He is not just any magician, he is probably the most famous one. The book is about him and his journey to greatness. He grows up in a small ...more
Everybody and their dog knows the name of Harry Houdini. But very few know the real story of his life.

His Life.

The man we know of as Harry Houdini began his life with a very different name. Born into a Jewish family, Harry’s real name was Ehrich Weiss and he was the fifth of seven children. At an early age, Harry conceived a fascination with visual illusions; by the age of nine he had performed as a trapeze artist with a traveling circus, and at seventeen he embarked upon his lifelong career.

A m
Emily
Nov 22, 2014 Emily added it
Shelves: biography
Love it
Carolyn
Read this with Cole. The book spent a good deal of time on Ehrich Weiss' childhood, which I think Cole found interesting. After all, the series is about famous people's childhoods. It wasn't a complete biography of Houdini, but I don't think it's meant to be.
Esther May
It was interesting to me to find out how much physical strength it takes to do the tricks that Houdini did. Interesting person to learn about.
Charlotte
I liked this one. It covers a lot of good themes like hard work, practicing, overcoming obstacles, etc.
Aidan
I learned that his real name was Ehric Wiess.
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Lissy
Lissy added it
Aug 21, 2014
Lacy
Lacy marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Jd
Jd added it
Apr 06, 2014
Bliss
Bliss added it
Feb 13, 2014
Charity (CJ)
Charity (CJ) marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Childhood of Famous Americans (1 - 10 of 213 books)
  • George Washington: Young Leader
  • Davy Crockett: Young Rifleman (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Jackie Robinson: Young Sports Trailblazer
  • Robert E. Lee: Young Confederate (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Childhood of Famous Americans
  • Knute Rockne: Young Athlete
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.: Young Man with a Dream (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Crispus Attucks: Black Leader of Colonial Patriots (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • John Fitzgerald Kennedy: America's Youngest President (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Frederick Douglass: Abolitionist Hero (Childhood of Famous Americans)
Phillis Wheatley: Young Revolutionary Poet Good-By to Stony Crick, These Tigers' Hearts Irena Eugene Field, young poet