Start by marking “Like Love (87th Precinct #16)” as Want to Read:
Like Love (87th Precinct #16)

Like Love (87th Precinct #16)

A young girl jumps to her death. A salesman gets blown apart. Two semi-naked bodies are found dead on a bed with all the hallmarks of a love pact...Spring really was here for the 87th Precinct. Steve Carella and Cotton Hawes thought the double suicide stank of homicide, but they just couldn't get a break. Fortunately Hawes has something else going on in his life at the mom ...more
Published 2005 by Orion (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Like Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Like Love

James Thane
Spring finds the detectives of the 87th Precinct busy as usual. As the book opens, Detective Steve Carella has to deal with a beautiful young woman who decides she has nothing to live for and who has climbed out onto a ledge high above the street in her nightgown. She's ready to jump and in 1962, the PD doesn't yet have trained specialists to deal with a situation like this. Carella will do the best he can, but this really isn't his area of expertise.

Meanwhile, a hairbrush salesman is making his
Mar 31, 2015 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: detective, 2015
The book begins with suicide. Carella tries to prevent one and Cotton Hawes gets an apparent love pact suicide that just doesn't ring true. This one isn't one of the stronger titles in the series. McBain opens up with his now familiar turning of the seasons line - this time Spring gets characterised as a rather lively lady. It's a line he's used before. McBain doesn't really explore the theme of suicide either. He doesn't seem interested. Finding the absence of suicide is all that matters and Mc ...more
Dec 05, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this edition of the 87th Precinct, the team focuses primarily on the murders of a couple intending to be married. They die in an apparent suicide, but it's up to the team to discover the truth. While not the tightest plotting ever, it still sucked me in. And I think it was especially important that these characters aren't cardboard - what happens to them professionally and personally carries over book to book. And we now see Kling changing before our eyes after the murder of his girlfriend. W ...more
Perry Whitford
Another case for McBain's boys in blue at the fictional 87th Precinct, one of the seamier jurisdictions in the heaving metropolis which is New York in all but name.

This time Cotton Hawes and Steve Carella investigate a double suicide in an apartment block. A note suggests a lover's pact, but some of the details don't add up...

Like Love is precisely no better or no worse than the other books I have read in this extensive series. McBain portrays his cops as commendable without glamorising them, t
Jul 07, 2012 Skip rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
Carella fails to prevent a girl from jumping off a building and Hawes gets a double suicide, which has some odd elements. Suspiscion falls first on the cuckolded husband and then on her mother because of insurance proceeds, but little progress is made. Once again, Carella gets attacked and badly beaten, presumably because of the investigation. Meanwhile, Cotton Hawes' lover inadvertently provides the key to solving the mystery.
S. Wilson
Jun 14, 2016 S. Wilson rated it really liked it
Another apparent suicide that begins to look more and more like suicide is the main focus of this entry in the 87th Precinct series, a plot slightly reminiscent of The Pusher. Spring brings with it acts of love - and like love - and acts of murder and vengeance that have the boys tracking down the usual leads and red herrings - and be prepared for more forensic lectures than you've seen since Give the Boys a Great Big Hand. If this book has any flaw, it's that McBain sets up three equally plausi ...more
May 15, 2015 Christian rated it really liked it
Another great 87th Precinct mystery. McBain is so consistently good that I find myself taking it for granted. I honestly can't believe I am 16 books into this series already. (Although, I read this one out of order because I'm waiting on "The Empty Hours" to come in from my library.) Maybe I shoudl slow down. Also, you think I would get tired of reading Meyer Meyer's origin story EVERY book, but, like every great joke, it gets better the more times you hear it told differently.
James Austin
Jul 06, 2014 James Austin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read one of Ed McBain's books in a while and this one gets me interested again.

A five star mix of fun and excitement by the 87th! Everything McBain writes is worthwhile. This is certainly no exception. A Good Read.
Feb 17, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it
This series is so much fun to read. I think McBain hates Steve Carella though or was never happy when his publisher didn't let him kill him off back in the early books. He gets beat up in every book.
Aug 06, 2014 Jmrathbone rated it liked it
This novel first published in 1962 isn't anything like current police procedural novels, but it was a fun read.
David Highton
Sep 25, 2016 David Highton rated it liked it
Not one of the best Precinct books - the plot line ran on too long and felt a lucky shot for a result
Jan 27, 2014 Lee rated it really liked it
Ed McBain books are just such a joy to read. Great characters, witty and funny writing, and just so descriptive. Having read so many of his books when I was younger, it is great finding one I've not read. He is a sadly missed author.
Andrew McCrae
Oct 09, 2015 Andrew McCrae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-read
It was poor, it was slow, nothing much happened, it wasn't particularly well written, peopled, located or developed, the characterisation was cardboard thin, and it was an uninteresting crime and resolution with no anticipation, tension, thrill or atmosphere. Maybe this is what 'ordinary' detective work is, daily - certainly it seemed so in the 87th Precinct. Given the choice, I'd rather re-read Chandler or P.D. James any day.
Jul 24, 2014 Gizzard rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Police procedural equivalent of a Harlequin Romance, quick and fun but not very memorable.
Jun 29, 2015 Shauna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: us-crime, 2015
Run of the mill book in the 87th precinct series.
Feb 28, 2012 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, series, police
The main mystery of the book revolved around what looked like a lovers' suicide pact. The detectives of the 87th precinct thought it just wasn't right - it looked more like a setup to cover up a murder. I enjoyed the book throughout, however, I was disappointed in the ending. It was told well, etc., I was just disappointed in the killer and the killer's motive. There is quite a memorable scene very early on in the book with Detective Steve Carella trying to talk a woman off a 12th floor ledge sh ...more
Jan 29, 2015 Chris rated it liked it
Fun as usual
Dan Harrison
Apr 01, 2015 Dan Harrison rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the three sories very much.
Pretty good but not one of the best.
Aug 10, 2014 L rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
traditional, not a bad read.
Daniel Sevitt
Feb 08, 2016 Daniel Sevitt rated it really liked it
Shelves: 87th-precinct
Another fine 87th precinct procedural. This time the boys are investigating a seeming suicide. Bert Kling is still mourning. Cotton seems like he may be on the verge of settling down and Steve gets the crap kicked out of him again. Super stuff.
Aileen Bernadette Urquhart
Aug 20, 2014 Aileen Bernadette Urquhart rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Usual sexist stuff. Dated, but so interesting to see how women were viewed in 1963. E.g. Two corpses found nearly naked on a bed. Male hardly described at all, female described in detail.
Aug 09, 2012 Andrew rated it it was ok
I'm usually a big fan of Ed McBain/Evan Hunter. This one wasn't that good. The dialogue was clunky and the story just felt a bit forced. Not a particularly strong conclusion either.
Very enjoyable police procedural published back in 1962. One of the better entries in the 87th Precinct series so far.
Oct 29, 2010 Arnez rated it did not like it
Shelves: used-to-own
I hated it, it was the worst, most boring story told in such an old fashion way of boredom.
Kim Henry
May 30, 2013 Kim Henry rated it it was amazing
Great read! I love police procedurals and this book rants right up near the top of my list!
Jul 02, 2009 Becky rated it did not like it
Nice little murder? mystery.
Susan Sandulak
Susan Sandulak rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2016
  • The Case of the Mythical Monkeys (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • Candyland
  • The Aviator
  • The Wild
  • The Wedding Ransom (The Wedding, #2)
  • The Only Game
  • The Looney
  • The Devil in Velvet (1994 Ed)
  • Campbell's Kingdom
  • Meet Me At The Morgue
  • What Bloody Man Is That?
  • Swing, Swing Together (Sergeant Cribb, #7)
  • A Detailed Man
  • Doctor Who: The Time Meddler
  • Reunions Can Be Murder (A Charlie Parker Mystery #7)
  • Doctor Who: The Reign of Terror
  • Beware of the Trains (Gervase Fen, #9)
  • The Captain
"Ed McBain" is one of the pen names of American author and screenwriter Salvatore Albert Lombino (1926 – 2005), who legally adopted the name Evan Hunter in 1952. While successful and well known as Evan Hunter, he was even better known as Ed McBain, a name he used for most of his crime fiction, beginning in 1956.

He also used the pen names John Abbott, Curt Cannon, Hunt Collins, Ezra Hannon, Dean Hu
More about Ed McBain...

87th Precinct (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1)
  • The Mugger (87th Precinct #2)
  • The Pusher
  • The Con Man (87th Precinct, #4)
  • Killer's Choice (87th Precinct, #5)
  • Killer's Payoff (87th Precinct #6)
  • Killer's Wedge (87th Precinct #7)
  • Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)
  • 'Til Death (87th Precinct, #9)
  • King's Ransom (87th Precinct #10)