Armadillos and Old Lace (Kinky Friedman, #7)

Armadillos and Old Lace (Kinky Friedman #7)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  580 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A story featuring the foul-mouthed Kinky Friedman, ace private eye. Little old ladies are dropping dead at an alarming rate in the vicinity of the family's ranch/summer camp in Texas, and Kinky is asked to investigate. A faded photograph of ten pretty girls is just the clue he needs.
Paperback
Published May 1st 1996 by Faber & Faber (first published 1994)

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryMolly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She? by Molly IvinsThe Road by Cormac McCarthyBurn Down the Ground by Kambri CrewsThe Time It Never Rained by Elmer Kelton
Texas Authors
79th out of 290 books — 96 voters
The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles DickensOld Yeller by Fred GipsonOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotArsenic and Old Lace by Joseph KesselringThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
Any Old Thing
38th out of 115 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Alex Lee
The most amusing part of this book was the language. The hyperbole is simply astounding in its expression. Much else leaves me wanting more. To be honest, the set up and the characterization were wonderful right up to the point at which Kinky is introduced to the case. Basically Kinky comes home and is thrust into a mystery he doesn't want... such then drives him crazy. I know that Kinky Friedman is often compared to Hunter S Thompson... In form yes. But here there is very little of Thompson's s...more
Andrew
This is the first Kinky Friedman book I've read and it was an enjoyable romp - without a great degree of substance - through some anecdotes and a crime story which wasn't really what the book was about. With the author as main character it was unclear how much of this might be fiction and how much fact (I'm assuming the murders were fiction). Kinky tells it like a campfire story, with some homespun wisdom thrown into the pot, some very funny jokes, slivers of information which were quite enterta...more
Wayne Zurl
I loved the title, but I’m afraid this book by the Kinkster just didn’t do it for me. I’m all for breaking rules, but to take your first thirty-odd pages and have the main character hanging out in New York with a cast of not very likable odd-ball characters who have nothing to do with the main story (which takes place in Texas,) talk about his (Kinky’s) first novel, and putz around with a fairly uninteresting set up, is grounds to lose most readers.
Once Kinky,(author and star of the book) the...more
Heather
Oct 28, 2007 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Texans with a sense of humor
My husband and I read this aloud (as in do-it-yourself book-on-tape) on our drive across Germany to Dresden. Four hours each way, and Kinky had solved the mystery, gotten the girl, and returned to eating Indian food in NYC. Perfect book for that.
For two Texans missing our Hill Country, this book was a nice stroll through familiarity. Kinky perfectly captures the ethos of people in those parts, and does it with an eye for the bizarre and an ear for humor. Whether you're from there or not, he'll k...more
Jim
Needed a little quick pick-me-up, and saw an advance reading copy and decided to read it. This is not deep literature, and the plot was thin and faily easily figured out, but it is his personality that makes these books interesting. He mixes his life experiences and humor with his fictional stories (and you simply don't know how much is based on fact, although I am sure there are academics of Kinksterism who spend hours figuring it all out). But it is enjoyable. It is naughty, and irreverent. Mu...more
Jamie
I have started re-reading this series (I originally started reading the series it back in the early 90's). So far this has been my favorite of the first several as I re-read them. The series is incredibly quirky and not for everyone. The premise revolves around a retired country western singer now living in New York, who happens to solve crime after crime. The books are pretty funny but not your typical mystery. If you are looking for quick, out of the ordinary, funny reads you might check these...more
Barbara Rice
Apr 23, 2009 Barbara Rice rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone who needs a time-killer
Recommended to Barbara by: no one
I picked up this book because I needed something disposable for a long plane ride: a mindless, amusing read that I could leave behind when I exited the plane. It pretty much fulfilled those requirements.

Friedman might be a better writer if he wasn't so obsessed with inserting a yuk in every paragraph. The damn-I'm-funny got old by the second chapter. I did laugh out loud at one section where he described meeting an elderly couple - "her name was Marsupial or something" - but that was the only re...more
Jan
Apr 01, 2010 Jan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
About 15 years ago or so, I read pretty much all of the Kinky Friedman books available at the time and absolutely loved them. So when one crossed my path and I needed something to read on the plane, I snatched it up, excited to read it again.

This is the second time in recent memory that I've learned that sometimes the books you once loved need to stay in the past.

I'm not really sure why I used to love Kinky Friedman so much. This book was really cheesy, and not nearly as funny as I remembered. S...more
Anna
Sep 04, 2010 Anna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone who likes mysteries and Texas
Shelves: 2010, bookcrossing
I never read the Kinky books when they were fresh, so the first one I got when I was about to move to TX. This is the second one I've ever read, and this will continue its journey to Europe while bringing a tiny bit of Texas with me.

Fast read, funny often enough, and happens not too far from here, in the Hill Country. I could read these occasionally, but for my every day reads I need something with much more action and thrill. I guess that's what separates the mysteries from detectives and thril...more
Pat
Jan 22, 2014 Pat rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Kinky goes back to his father's camp in Texas for the summer. He helps by feeding hummingbirds and taking laundry to town. He solves a murder of a 76 year old woman.
Humor wears thin.
Ants
Kinky Friedman's books follow a somewhat predictable format - same characters, new jokes, new quotes, and a new plot.
Whatever your opinion was on one book, it is very likely a similar opinion will be made for other books. That being said, I like the books and I enjoyed reading them.

Here's a little tidbit - for what is it is worth. From what was reported in the press, there only seemed to be one thing that Bill Clinton and George W. Bush had in common. Surprisingly, they both like Kinky Friedma...more
Jonathan Sargent
Kinky crawls into your head, lights his cigar, clears his throat with a glass slipper of Jameson, and proceeds to make a dream catcher out of beer cans. In Armadillos and Old Lace, he captures the essence of Franklin Dixon in the amber of colloquial Texas; then finds it in his heart to make himself the humble protagonist. He violates a few words for the sake of their bastard puns, but he pays the support check with Gilmoresque wit and a lighthearted approach to Jewish vernacular. The story isn't...more
Ryan
Bronwyn Rodden
This is hilarious as usual. If you like humorous crime fiction, Kinky Freidman usually delivers. This time he's gone back to Texas from New York, to find things are not all as serene as he remembers from growing up there. Thought I could read a bit when I woke early and then go back to sleep, but it just woke me up with laughter.

Further into the book and it doesn't seem to have the action of the earlier volumes. Comfortable but not fully engaging.
Ellen
My favorite Kinky Friedman story. He returns to his roots in Texas, has a mystery to solve but mixes in family life on the ranch (city kids spend summers there). He lives with his cat in an old trailer on the ranch and we meet many intriguing characters as he tries to figure out whether there was a murder and why it was committed. I have not been a big fan of his other books, but enjoyed the mix of humor, crime and family tenderness in this one.
Marian Allen
I've read three of the Kinkster's books, now. LOVED the first, NOT the second (these were not in order of publication) and LOVED this one. The balance of wiseassery and humanity is perfect. The mystery makes as much sense as you could expect, and the sense of place is as sharp as the books set in NYC. My only quibble is the failure of the armadillo to appear in more than one scene, but you can't have everything.
bigmuzz
the kinkster leaves his usual mob behind in new york, and goes for a quiet relaxing holiday back home in texas... until he is reluctantly enlisted into solving the case of the dead grannies.... not his best work, but a kinky friedman book is still better than most others. a fairly quick and easy read.
Frederick
Jan 15, 2008 Frederick rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fans of Humor
Here's another Kinky Friedman book I'm giving five stars because of the title.
There was a play, famous in the 1930s, about little old ladies and a guy who dressed like Teddy Roosevelt. It was a very funny play. It was called ARSENIC AND OLD LACE.
So the title of this book makes me chuckle.
This was a reread but I still thought this was amazing and I couldn't remember enough for it to be spoilt like who done it! Laughed out loud, glad to refind on the shelf when all I wanted was a light read and a break form the other heavier reading I was doing.
Leah
Jan 17, 2008 Leah rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: armadillos but not old lace
This is being my favourite Kinky Friedman book so far. I am really enjoying it and if I came up with a title like that I would be very proud of myself.
Barbie
This book was from my dad. It was not my cup of tea, though parts were laugh-out-loud funny. It was exactly the kind of book my dad would have liked.
Carol
May 07, 2011 Carol rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Humorous mystery readers
Recommended to Carol by: Used book store
Kinky writes like I wish I could. A little history a good mystery and lots of humor.
Mary
Not really a big fan of Kinky. But liked the story.
Nick Gilbert
I THINK that this was the first Kinky Friedman that I read!
Deadbeatgrandpajoe
my least favorite of his books that I read so far
Peter S
It had a good beat and was easy to dance to.
Helen
fun language, so-so plot
Henry
Own First Edition signed copy
Funny mystery
  • Mucho Mojo (Hap Collins and Leonard Pine, #2)
  • The Essential Groucho: Writings by, for, and about Groucho Marx
  • The Lost Get-Back Boogie
  • The Getaway Man
  • Misery Loves Maggody (Arly Hanks, #11)
  • New Hope for the Dead
  • Rumpole on Trial
  • The Terrorists (Martin Beck #10)
  • Good Behavior (Dortmunder, #6)
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • The Act of Roger Murgatroyd: An Entertainment
  • The Coyote Kings of the Space-Age Bachelor Pad
  • The Perk
  • The Iron Wolf and Other Stories
  • Nice Girls Finish Last (Robin Hudson, #2)
  • The Peppered Moth
  • The Floatplane Notebooks
  • I Am Not a Cop! A Novel
Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician and former columnist for Texas Monthly who styles himself in the mold of popular American satirists Will Rogers and Mark Twain. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas. Receiving 12.6% of the vote, Friedman placed fourth in the six-person race.

Frie...more
More about Kinky Friedman...
Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola (Kinky Friedman, #6) Roadkill (Kinky Friedman, #10) Greenwich Killing Time (Kinky Friedman, #1) Kill Two Birds and Get Stoned The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover (Kinky Friedman, #9)