Start by marking “Josephine: Napoleon's Incomparable Empress” as Want to Read:
Josephine: Napoleon's Incomparable Empress

Josephine: Napoleon's Incomparable Empress

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The romance between Josephine de Beauharnais and Napoleon Bonaparte is one of the most dramatic in history, but the crucial role this beautiful, intelligent woman played in their partnership has never before been completely acknowledged. In this spirited biography, rich in detail and anecdote, Eleanor DeLorme brings the exotic empress to life, revealing how greatly Napoleo ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Josephine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Josephine

Krista
I'm in the middle of reading Sandra Gulland's historical fiction trilogy about Josephine Bonaparte, so I thought I'd throw in some actual history too while reading the historical fiction.

I enjoyed this book with all it's illustrations. It's a large format book (almost like an art history book) that contained many contemporary paintings and drawings from the Napoleonic era that helped make the historical figures come to life.

I didn't realize what a crazy life that Josephine led. Born in the Car
Lynne
What a marvelous book, told from the French perspective. I had read some historical fiction about Josephine, but I thought this was better. The author does a good job of describing strengths and flaws of this famous person. The inclusion of art plates for illustrating the historical events created a richer reading experience.

I learned about the book when I met the author at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Meltha
Feb 05, 2012 Meltha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: bio
Often it's hard to find a decent bio of a famous woman who happened to be married to an even more famous man. While there were times when I felt the author was dwelling too much on dinner party after dinner party, I did feel I knew Josephine after this, and her charm came through on the page.
Cate
I really enjoyed this mix of artwork and history. There could have been more detail, the book seemed to rely on my having more knowledge than I do, but I could live with that for the lovely pictures.
Liz
Excellent Biography
Dessy
Dessy marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Charlotte Gates
Charlotte Gates marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Catalina Terracotta
Catalina Terracotta marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Huda Lutfi
Huda Lutfi marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Sara Sinan
Sara Sinan marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Vasy
Vasy marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Ada
Ada marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Ari Pettit
Ari Pettit marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Laura Metheney
Laura Metheney marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Alanna
Alanna marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Heather Miller
Heather Miller marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Shelby Smith
Shelby Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Frances Morales
Frances Morales marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
French Pavilions and the 18th Century Garden Joséphine and the Arts of the Empire