Bloody Roads South: The Wilderness to Cold Harbor, May-June 1864

Bloody Roads South: The Wilderness to Cold Harbor, May-June 1864

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"Nobody has brought together in one volume so many eyewitness accounts from both sides."-Civil War History Winner of the Fletcher Pratt Award In this authoritative chronicle of the great 1864 Overland Campaign in Virginia, Noah Andre Trudeau vividly re-creates the brutal forty days that marked the beginning of the end of the Civil War. In riveting detail Trudeau traces the...more
Published November 1st 2000 by Louisiana State University Press (first published January 1st 1989)

Josh Liller
Noah Andre Trudeau's Southern Storm is a masterpiece about Sherman's March to the Sea. Two decades before "Southern Storm", Trudeau wrote "Bloody Roads South" about the Overland Campaign and he's come a long way as an author in those two decades. (I also think Trudeau's Gettysburg: A Testing of Courage is a better book than this.)

Don't get me wrong: this book is by no means terrible. It is an adequate single-volume history of the Overland Campaign. It's handicapped by being written a decade befo...more
James Schmidt
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for this book.

In 1992, living in Columbia, Missouri, I attended a local Civil War living history event at the behest of a friend who was becoming interested in the Civil War. It was my first event, so I learned a bit myself, but it didn't exactly set off a "spark" of continued interest.

In the fall of 1993, I was in Richmond, VA, on a week-long business trip. Having flown in a day or two early, I took some time to visit some of the historic sites, includin...more
Trevor Rowland
The history of the bloodiest campaign of the Civil War: Ulysses S. Grant's 1864 Overland Campaign against Robert E. Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia, told mostly through the words of those who experienced it. A popular history, the notes/citations are slim, but its day-by-day, sometimes hour-by-hour narrative makes it feel like you're traveling with the two armies while reading it. I used this book to follow along with the events of the campaign each day during the sesquicentennial an...more
Tim
Another masterpiece by a great Civil War writer. Slowly getting through his works, and this one was fascinating. I appreciated how Grant just kept moving on, though he was clearly personally effected by the alarming rate of casualties. The numbers were on his side, and with complete confidence from Lincoln he just moved on.
Trudeau always shows how Lee was the greatest general of his generation. When the Union army slips south while the Confederates are waiting and start he siege of Petersburg, L...more
Bap
John E
The first of Trudeau's four volumes of the final campaign in Virginia in 1864-5. These are the most contested and bloodiest of the battles between Grant and Lee. Shows the tenacity of Grant and the defensive skills of Lee. Also shows the hazards of the offensive in the Civil War and the costs of undertaking offensive attacks (even a day could aid the defense so much to as to negate a 2 to 1 advantage). Very well written.
Benny
Apr 07, 2009 Benny rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fan of American history.
Shelves: american-history
Like The Last Citadel, Trudeau brings these battles to life through first person accounts of the men who were there. A little short on strategy and tactics, but that is not the author's style.
Greg Sumers
Good overall campaign level summary of the Spring 1864 battles in the Eastern theater. Liked how Trudeau switched back and forth, day to day, sometimes even hour to hour, between Grant and Lee. Gave a sense of the chess match that rapidly evolved between the two.
Strawfoot
Mister Trudeau is one of my favorite Civil War authors. This book is a great little history of the ascendance of Grant into control in the East. I always love the way he intermixes the story of the individual soldiers that compromised this great army.
David Adams
I read this as my interest in the Civil War was beggining to grow. Loved the approach Trudeau took to telling the story through the eyes of those that fought the battles.
Avis Black
Like all of Trudeau's books, it's okay if you like a shallow overview.
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
April Kinzinger
April Kinzinger marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Darrel
Darrel marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Muratbek Nurlanbekuly
Muratbek Nurlanbekuly marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Season Qiu
Season Qiu marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Needaname
Needaname marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Vince
Vince marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
American Civil War historian. He has won the Civil War Round Table of New York's Fletcher Pratt Awar and the Jerry Coffey Memorial Book Prize. A former executive producer at National Public Radio, he lives in Washington, DC.
More about Noah Andre Trudeau...
Gettysburg: A Testing of Courage Southern Storm The Last Citadel: Petersburg, Virginia, June 1864-April 1865 Robert E. Lee: Lessons in Leadership Like Men of War: Black Troops in the Civil War