The Independence Club

The Independence Club (Huntington Family)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  425 ratings  ·  40 reviews
When five single women become friends, the Independence Club is born, complete with weekly brunch where they talk about life and brainstorm ideas for success. The women's lives are bound together as they see each other through tears, romance, and happiness, all the while learning the true meaning of friendship. You'll meet Maxine Madison, an outspoken, 62-year-old widow; T...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about The Independence Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Independence Club

Linnae
5 women get together weekly over brunch to support each other through the ups and downs of life and romance. Does this sound familiar at all? Am I seeking these books out, or are they converging upon me? :)

This one is the best of the genre that I've read so far. What made this one a cut above the others I've read is that the women each have distinct personalities--enough so that I didn't lose track of which one I was reading about (they take turns narrating, one chapter at a time). Their problem...more
Skylar Hatfield
This book is not complex or perplexing. It's a simple story about the challenges and triumphs of some widowed and divorced women friends living in Utah. It was interesting and entertaining to read, and didn't take much effort to understand. I have read quite a few of Ms. Nunes' books, and find them enjoyable. Many don't mention the LDS church, but that is not the case here. These women are all Mormon. Be warned, this book is part of a series. It is not the first in the series, but you can unders...more
Patty
Good clean LDS fiction. This was a quick read. Not too intense. I enjoyed the different personalities of the women. And I especially liked the way they would "watch out" for each other. Great story of love, loyalty & friendship.
Susan
This was a book about 5 divorced/widowed women who got together weekly. It's a story about each of their love lives. I couldn't get into it and felt there was just too much going on.
Christina
This book is about a group of women who get together weekly to have lunch and help each other set and accomplish goals. Having just read The Ten-Cow Wives' Club:, it was hard not to compare them. I liked the other book better because it included women in different stages going through different trials - some dealing with their romantic relationships, but not all of them. This book is about all five women and their romantic lives. There seemed to be too much going on. However, I liked the very di...more
Whitley Morgan
I really did love this story! It was so well written and very fun to read about all the characters. My only regret is I could not connect with them because of age gap and the experience difference. But it was still good!
Lacey
This was a fun book to read. It spins off Rachel Ann Nunes book By Morning Light. Maxine plays a small roll in that book, and this book is about her and her friends. While this book didn't keep my attention like some books it was still a really fun to read. It was fun because it was about more then one charecter and the different problems the face being divored or widowed. It also shows how much these five women cared about each other and how they knew, that no matter what they can always rely o...more
Leslie
I originally bought this book to give as a gift and never ended up giving the book. Though I generally shy away from LDS fiction, the book was sitting on my shelf collecting dust - I decided to read it. A nice light read, it chronicles the lives of 5 single women (all have been married before and are either divorced or widowed) who are all looking for good relationships. The book wraps up a little too cleanly for my taste, but it is light and fun.
Kallie Hollingshead
I really liked this book. I thought it was well written and the underlying theme was great! It is important that we as women know ourselves and be happy with who we are. I especially loved Evie's story. I related with her and the struggles that she was going through. While I liked this book, I thought that the ending could have been better. It was almost like it just stopped with no ending. Overall it was a great book.
Camela
Apr 19, 2010 Camela added it
I liked it. And I cried. That could be attributed to tiredness and percocet, but I'm pretty sure the percocet is mostly out of my system and when am I not tired? It was different than I expected. Much more love and less angst from a single women's club. But it was rather real for an LDS novel. I think I'll read more by this author.
Susan
Great friends forming a women's only club. They write in journals and set goals together. They rally to help and aid each other. I love their outlook on life and most especially Maxine's great wisdom. It's amazing that all five meet wonderful men! Wish that were true in REAL life.
Are
Story of 5 sigle LDS women who have formed a "club" that meets once a week to give eachother support. Each chapter is dedicated to one women at a time telling thier stories as they each fall in love.
Maggie
When five single women become friends, the Independence Club is born. They meet each week for lunch where they talk about their life and share their hopes as they brainstorm ideas for success.
Wendy
It was a quick, easy, pleasant read even if it was awfully predictable. When I picked it up, I was wanting something simple, safe/clean, and basically conflict-free. It met my requirements.
Nicol
Fun read that allows the reader to gain some empathy for others. I found myself thinking about those around me with more of an open heart and open mind as to their struggles in life.
Amy
I am not really into the LDS "romance" novels but I liked this book. I was able to relate to the charecters in this book and I feel a little more normal. Easy, laughable read.
Cindy Davis
This was such a fun, light read. Its about single women and the relationships they have, both in the independence club and romantic relationships on the outside. Very fun.
Holly
A GREAT book. I love that the single women are all of different ages and types, and that they've joined together in a "club" to help each other. Another winner from Rachel!
Andrea Fife
Meh...

I didn't not like this book, but I didn't really like it either. I think it was written for a pretty specific audience, and I just wasn't the target.
Adree
This book is really good. It was kind of hard to relate to though because I am a teenager not someone whose husband has died. It was really good other than that though.
Becky
I liked this book for a few reasons. First, it was about women. Second it was about real women with real problems and real solutions. Third, it has a happy ending.
Universitybabe
I liked how the five individual lives were intertwined and found myself wishing and creating more behind their stories. Typical LDS fiction
Julia
Loved this one! It was nice to read about women who were in a totally different stage in their lives than me. Kind of refreshing.
Veneita
I thought this would be hard to follow because there are so many characters but I really liked it. Maxine cracks me up.
Chrystal
This book could be about single women in my own neighborhood. It was cute and fun but not spectacular nor worth a second read.
Jamie
I always love rachel nunes books and i really liked this one but it is my least favorite of them all
Danni
May 05, 2008 Danni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lds women
this book was a lot of fun. what i learned is that you are never to old to enjoy yourself and fall in love.
Heather
Great read. I loved the different women who played into the story and following all of their lives.
Kim Densley
Must read "No Longer Strangers" first. This book is more about one of the supporting characters.
Heather
A woman's club, each person has a different relationships about life, friendship, and men.
  • When Hearts Meet
  • Unsung Lullaby
  • Perfect Timing
  • The Emerald (The Bracelet Series, #2)
  • Adam's Story
21980
Rachel Ann Nunes (pronounced noon-esh) learned to read when she was four and by seventh grade knew she was going to be an author. Now as a stay-at-home mother of seven, it isn't easy to find time to write, but she will trade washing dishes or weeding the garden for an hour at the computer any day! Her only rule about writing is to never eat chocolate at the computer. "Since I love chocolate and wr...more
More about Rachel Ann Nunes...
Ariana: The Making of a Queen (Ariana, #1) Daughter of a King Ariana: A Gift Most Precious (Ariana, #2) Ariana: A New Beginning (Ariana, #3) Winter Fire