Start by marking “Even Firefighters Hug Their Moms” as Want to Read:
Even Firefighters Hug Their Moms

Even Firefighters Hug Their Moms

Big Frank the firefighter, Officer Dave the policeman, Dan the construction worker, Captain Steve the helicopter pilot, and Joe the EMT-these are just some of the people a little boy pretends to be, using common household objects (and his little sister) as props. When he's fighting fires, serving and protecting, and rescuing people at sea, he's too busy to show Mom any aff ...more
Published August 26th 2002 by Dutton Juvenile (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Even Firefighters Hug Their Moms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Even Firefighters Hug Their Moms

Connie
Jul 17, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has very well-done illustrations. It clearly shows a boy going through his day in a normal way, full of realistic fantasy play. I like how he includes his baby sister in everything, and how his mother participates a little in his play. The language is realistic and appropriately detailed.

But we don't read it very often, and I think I know why.

Firstly, this is a *very* long, *very* wordy book. It's definitely better suited for children closer to 8 than to 4, and even then - it's a long book. Y
Alena
May 15, 2009 Alena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love the creative way that the mom and kids play together. It makes me want to get on the floor with my kids and build a fort!
Adrienne
Feb 22, 2014 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Awesome! This is such a cute story about all the things a little boy pretends to be during the day--and how his mom tries to get him to give her a hug. I love the illustrations and how they show the boy using everyday objects to be his props in his pretend careers. This would be awesome to read and then role play with kids.
Danielle
Jun 02, 2015 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: lila-s-bookshelf
Very cute
Modboy
Jul 29, 2010 Modboy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Needy Mothers and Aspiring Actors.
My 3.5 year old son seems to like this book but it's probably too long (at least for me) to read. For future reads I'll just skip a couple of pages here and there because the story just repeats different scenarios: children playing make-believe professions while mother constantly buts in to desperately get some affection. I love the childrens' imagination in this book and feel it will inspire the same in other children.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
May 09, 2011 Little Miss and the Legomeister rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fun book. My favorite part is how the imaginative young hero includes his little sister as part of each game. And I like that when Mom asks for a hug, the answer is always just a little bit different.

And I love this exchange:

"What's Mars made of?" my mom asks.
I tell her Legos.
"I'm surprised you came back," she says.
"I'm here to get my Lego men, then I'm going back again," I say.
Dawn
May 20, 2016 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
I love this book because of the imaginative play it shows. The boys love it because on one page the kids in the story are pretending that their ceiling fan is a helicopter's blades.
Maggie
Sep 26, 2012 Maggie rated it really liked it
Nice illustrations and cute story. Molly liked how he had different jobs and I liked the story of the mom trying to play along and get a hug!
Debby
May 19, 2012 Debby rated it it was amazing
Given to me for a Christmas gift in 2011 by my firefighter son. So cute!! Brought tears to my eyes. I love children's books!!
Brittany Walley
Dec 05, 2013 Brittany Walley rated it it was amazing
Adorable! Shows children different jobs you can have. Pictures are beautifully illustrated.
Emma
Feb 20, 2010 Emma rated it liked it
Through a constant change of profession, this little boy is too busy to hug his mom.
Kelly
Jun 14, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
This was too cute! It gives a great view of a child using their imagination!
Dr. Jen Haden
Jul 13, 2011 Dr. Jen Haden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Great story outlining many different professions in a world of make believe.
Jenya
May 21, 2008 Jenya rated it it was amazing
This is so cute! The story and the pictures were adorable!
Lindsay
May 12, 2008 Lindsay rated it really liked it
jobs, moms

not great plot; good pictures
Teri Sue
Jan 03, 2009 Teri Sue rated it it was amazing
Even teenage sons hug their Moms.
Sima
Jul 24, 2013 Sima rated it it was amazing
This was given to my son for his 3rd bday and he liked it immediately. I always enjoy reading it for the adult-targeted humor as well. A favorite line is "I am a firefighter. Every morning I wake up and look in the paper to see where the fires are."!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Bridget
Bridget rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Lauren Perisse-Olszowy
Lauren Perisse-Olszowy rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Neha
Neha added it
Jun 17, 2016
Alicia
Alicia rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Deatrice
Deatrice rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Adrian
Adrian added it
Mar 21, 2016
Mindee Hurst
Mindee Hurst marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Jo Sorrell
Jo Sorrell rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016