Start by marking “How To Pray: The Best of John Wesley on Prayer” as Want to Read:
How To Pray: The Best of John Wesley on Prayer

How To Pray: The Best of John Wesley on Prayer

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  99 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Brief, lightly edited readings, drawn from Wesley's books and sermons, explain the why and how of prayer, providing motivation and encouragemenl for believers of any background.
Published January 1st 2008 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about How To Pray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Pray

Lizette Valles
Jan 10, 2010 Lizette Valles rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of my personal devotions-- it has enhanced my prayer life in a significant way.
Mark Uncommon Valor
Aug 17, 2010 Mark Uncommon Valor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prayer
. . . " You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, with all your strength " ( Mark 12:30 ). Such a love as this occupies the whole heart, takes up all the affections, fills the entire capacity of the soul, and employs the utmost extent of all its faculties.

One who thus loves is continually rejoicing in God. His delight is in the Lord, his Lord and his all, to whom we give thanks in all things. All his desire is toward God and to the remembrance
Kathy England
Jun 25, 2016 Kathy England rated it did not like it
The book is titled "How to Pray"; but it is really a collection of excerpts from John Wesley's writings, only some about prayer. I was imagining something more focused on 'how to pray'. Not exactly the most uplifting book I've read lately.
Heather Falls
Nov 28, 2014 Heather Falls rated it liked it
It was a bit difficult for me to read but still a good book. Breaks down the meanings of some prayers and the different reasons for prayer. It was really interesting reading about John Wesley at the end of the book.
John Barbour
Jun 12, 2013 John Barbour rated it liked it
Shelves: devotional
I think a better title would be Pastor Wesley's Reflections and Counsel. The best book on prayer is still the Psalms along with the examples of our Lord Jesus and His apostles. This is a compilation and is divided into sections with a great saying about prayer heading each section. The body of the book, however, seems to be Wesley's own struggles ( reflections) and warnings ( counsel)to see if you are really in the faith. Maybe these are one and the same. When he died, Wesley 1st said "God be m ...more
J. Ewbank
Sep 09, 2010 J. Ewbank rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-good-read, religion
One has to be into prayer or John Wesley to really enjoy this book. It is a good book and it is John Wesley, but you would not know it unless you were told it was John Wesley. It does not have the totally distinctive flavor of Wesley to me, but I did enjoy it.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Nancy Graham
Oct 22, 2012 Nancy Graham rated it really liked it
Reflections from a giant in the faith ... Though my theology is slightly different(which doesn't necessarily mean that I'm right), I found many fine insights here. A quick read -- or useful for brief, daily reflections.
Heather Leipart
Jun 28, 2011 Heather Leipart rated it it was amazing
Very good book, but more like a snack than a meal if you know what I mean. It's good for a chapter here and there and the encouragement is appreciated. I'd say it is a good jumping off point, but enjoyable overall.
Sharon Zink
Nov 17, 2012 Sharon Zink rated it liked it
I liked this book because John Wesley wrote it, and I respect him and his writings. As a manual on prayer, it wasn't much on the subject. It was more of a devotional book with daily readings.
Kristen Stieffel
Jan 16, 2013 Kristen Stieffel rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-walk
An insightful little book. It's a bit disjointed; I gather that's because it's drawn from mulitple sources. Makes a good devotional, though.
Beth Dickey
Jun 02, 2013 Beth Dickey rated it really liked it
Very good for use as a devotional, a few pages at a time. Excellent writing and great thoughts . Definitely worth a read
Matthew
Sep 12, 2009 Matthew rated it liked it
Shelves: started
Encouraging, relatively Scripture based pray guides. I'm diggin' it. I'm always lookin' for a way to grow in prayer.
Danshogren
May 06, 2014 Danshogren rated it liked it
Okay. Nice little devotional.
Tim
Feb 23, 2009 Tim rated it liked it
Good devotional book, but oddly enough not nearly enough entries on prayer . . .
Russell Newell
Mar 20, 2013 Russell Newell rated it really liked it
If used correctly this little book will generate some deep spiritual thinking and action
Dmack
Nov 15, 2013 Dmack rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-christian
Wonderful short pieces on praying and aspects that should be included in our prayer life
AlegnaB
There isn't much about prayer in the book.
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Sharon Jessica
Sharon Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
John Mould
John Mould marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Anobiga Clifford
Anobiga Clifford marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Mitchell Sunderhuse
Mitchell Sunderhuse marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
May
May rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Olaniyan Olawale
Olaniyan Olawale marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Krystie Pfister
Krystie Pfister marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Pamela Haugen
Pamela Haugen marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
  • Loving God with All Your Mind: Thinking as a Christian in a Postmodern World
  • Prayers of the Cosmos: Reflections on the Original Meaning of Jesus's Words
  • By Faith Alone
  • Credo
  • Moments with the Savior: A Devotional Life of Christ (Moments with the Savior) (Moments with the Savior Series)
  • The Bible Promise Book - KJV
  • His Princess Bride: Love Letters from Your Prince
  • Guerrillas of Grace: Prayers for the Battle
John Wesley is recognized as the founder of Methodism. An acclaimed preacher, Wesley travelled extensively on horseback and drew large crowds for his outdoor sermons. A contemporary of William Wilberforce, Wesley was a strong voice opposing slavery in England and the United States. His influence upon modern Christianity can be seen by the large number of Methodist organizations in the Wesleyan tra ...more
More about John Wesley...

“God grant that I may never live to be useless!” 70 likes
“I continue to dream and pray about a revival of holiness in our day that moves forth in mission and creates authentic community in which each person can be unleashed through the empowerment of the Spirit to fulfill God's creational intentions.” 56 likes