How To Pray: The Best of John Wesley on Prayer

How To Pray: The Best of John Wesley on Prayer

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Let John Wesley guide you into a deeper prayer life-these excerpts from his prolific writings will motivate and challenge you to greater communion with God. In approximately 45 readings, Wesley explains the why and how of prayer for believers at any stage of the Christian life. Lightly edited for ease of reading, Wesley's insights are sure to improve the way you pray!
Published January 1st 2008 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about How To Pray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Pray

Mark Uncommon Valor
. . . " You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, with all your strength " ( Mark 12:30 ). Such a love as this occupies the whole heart, takes up all the affections, fills the entire capacity of the soul, and employs the utmost extent of all its faculties.

One who thus loves is continually rejoicing in God. His delight is in the Lord, his Lord and his all, to whom we give thanks in all things. All his desire is toward God and to the remembrance...more
John Barbour
I think a better title would be Pastor Wesley's Reflections and Counsel. The best book on prayer is still the Psalms along with the examples of our Lord Jesus and His apostles. This is a compilation and is divided into sections with a great saying about prayer heading each section. The body of the book, however, seems to be Wesley's own struggles ( reflections) and warnings ( counsel)to see if you are really in the faith. Maybe these are one and the same. When he died, Wesley 1st said "God be m...more
J. Ewbank
One has to be into prayer or John Wesley to really enjoy this book. It is a good book and it is John Wesley, but you would not know it unless you were told it was John Wesley. It does not have the totally distinctive flavor of Wesley to me, but I did enjoy it.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Nancy Graham
Reflections from a giant in the faith ... Though my theology is slightly different(which doesn't necessarily mean that I'm right), I found many fine insights here. A quick read -- or useful for brief, daily reflections.
Heather Leipart
Very good book, but more like a snack than a meal if you know what I mean. It's good for a chapter here and there and the encouragement is appreciated. I'd say it is a good jumping off point, but enjoyable overall.
Sharon Zink
I liked this book because John Wesley wrote it, and I respect him and his writings. As a manual on prayer, it wasn't much on the subject. It was more of a devotional book with daily readings.
Kristen Stieffel
An insightful little book. It's a bit disjointed; I gather that's because it's drawn from mulitple sources. Makes a good devotional, though.
Beth Dickey
Very good for use as a devotional, a few pages at a time. Excellent writing and great thoughts . Definitely worth a read
Matthew
Encouraging, relatively Scripture based pray guides. I'm diggin' it. I'm always lookin' for a way to grow in prayer.
Lizette Valles
I read this book as part of my personal devotions-- it has enhanced my prayer life in a significant way.
Danshogren
Okay. Nice little devotional.
Tim
Good devotional book, but oddly enough not nearly enough entries on prayer . . .
Russell Newell
If used correctly this little book will generate some deep spiritual thinking and action
Dmack
Wonderful short pieces on praying and aspects that should be included in our prayer life
Alegnab
There isn't much about prayer in the book.
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Faith Abraham
Faith Abraham is currently reading it
Michael Sandven
Michael Sandven marked it as to-read
Angela Stolpe
Angela Stolpe is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2014
Sheli Comeau
Sheli Comeau marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Yasmin Alberto
Yasmin Alberto marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
John Wesley is recognized as the founder of Methodism. An acclaimed preacher, Wesley travelled extensively on horseback and drew large crowds for his outdoor sermons. A contemporary of William Wilberforce, Wesley was a strong voice opposing slavery in England and the United States. His influence upon modern Christianity can be seen by the large number of Methodist organizations in the Wesleyan tra...more
More about John Wesley...
John Wesley's Sermons: An Anthology A Plain Account of Christian Perfection (Foundations of Faith) (Foundations of Faith) John Wesley The Journal of John Wesley The Works of John Wesley (7 Volumes)

“God grant that I may never live to be useless!” 46 likes
“I continue to dream and pray about a revival of holiness in our day that moves forth in mission and creates authentic community in which each person can be unleashed through the empowerment of the Spirit to fulfill God's creational intentions.” 43 likes