Start by marking “Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary, Deluxe Edition” as Want to Read:
Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary, Deluxe Edition

Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary, Deluxe Edition

4.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  52 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Essential for every personal, professional, and institutional library, Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary, is the most affordable and comprehensive dictionary on the market. The book that Newsweek called "The best American unabridged" remains unsurpassed in clarity, relevance and coverage of new words.

Features:

• Over 315,000 entries
• Over 2,400 maps and illustrat
Published October 11th 2005 by Random House Reference (first published August 12th 1987)

Be the first to ask a question about Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary, Deluxe Edition

Tonya Saylor
Random House Webster's unabridged dictionary with CD-Rom. (2006). New York: Random House.

Citation by: Tonya Saylor

Type of Reference: Dictionary

Call Number: Ref 423

Content/Scope: This dictionary contains over 315,000 entries, and more definitions per word than other leading dictionaries. Over 75,000 example phrases and sentences to demonstrate how words are used in context- 2,400 illustrations and spot maps- Scholarly etymologies show when a term entered the language. The dictionary also explain
Jeff Beland
Apr 29, 2015 Jeff Beland rated it did not like it
Don't waste your money. My wife got me this dictionary on my first birthday that she knew me. I think she paid something like $90 for it brand new. she got upset when I bought a old Webster's printed in 1954 from a thrift shop for $4. the old Webster's is about half again the size. you would think that all unabridged dictionaries would be about the same size or that newer ones would be larger seeing how words are constantly being added to the English language, but the opposite seems to be true. ...more
Chris
Dec 18, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I mean, yes, it's a dictionary. So I'm not really reading it, though I can't say I've read it. But everyone should have one, right? They really are fun to peruse every now and then. And this is the one I recommend.
LauraW
Jun 09, 2009 LauraW rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Well, technically, I haven't read this whole book, but it certainly does come in handy during Scrabble games. Since we like to learn new words, we bend the rules a bit and allow look-ups, provided that we share the definition.
James
Apr 19, 2009 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, reference
I always keep this one next to the computer when I'm working on a writing project, along with the thesaurus - an authoritative reference that has helped me avoid some mistakes that would have been embarrassing.
Koltn
Feb 19, 2010 Koltn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sadly, I've read this book cover to cover. I skipped twelve pages in "K", though. It was, um, fun? Er... *tried desperately to think of a review*... Nice Work? Way to... dictate? You got 5 stars.
An unabridged dictionary is a must in every household. I got this book for my HS graduation and I think it's awesome.
Theshiney
Feb 28, 2008 Theshiney rated it really liked it
i have yet to find another book with my two favorite words: callipygian and defenestrate.
Parveen Verma
marvellous
Courtney
Reference only.
Susan Egan
Susan Egan marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Michael Bauer
Michael Bauer marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Andrew Peters
Andrew Peters marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Minilik
Minilik rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016
Giovanni Orlando
Giovanni Orlando marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Rosy
Rosy added it
Jan 22, 2016
Merely Blink
Merely Blink marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Vladimir Lenin
Vladimir Lenin marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Antonioksweet
Antonioksweet marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Lisam
Lisam marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Jennifer Kemmann
Jennifer Kemmann marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Lilo Abernathy
Lilo Abernathy rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2015
Dena Shunra
Dena Shunra rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2015