Start by marking “Love's Lovely Counterfeit” as Want to Read:
Love's Lovely Counterfeit

Love's Lovely Counterfeit

Da semplice autista del boss a capo dell'intera banda, una bella carriera per l'ex giocatore di football Ben Grace. In una cittadina come Lake City, dove il marcio è normalità, sembra che basti sapersi servire delle debolezze altrui per raggiungere i propri scopi. Ma sarà davvero così?
Published 1946 by The World Publishing Company (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Love's Lovely Counterfeit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love's Lovely Counterfeit

Algernon
Nov 05, 2011 Algernon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I was aware of the author as a primary source for some of my favorite noir movies, so I knid of knew what to expect. Indeed, this is very much a book of its time: 1942. Lake City - an imaginary mid Western town after the prohibition, the gangsters have the police and politicians under their thumb and can act with impunity from a downtown hotel.
Enter two young idealists - one man thinking he can escape the consequences of his bad decision of hooking up with a crime lord and one woman thinking tha
Lauren
Jun 23, 2016 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Within the first few pages of this book, I hit upon the following exchange:

"He hasn't got a chance."
"He's got Sol worried."
"You mean Mayor Maddux has."
"I don't get it."
"Well, Sol's the main beneficiary of this, our present administration, isn't he? The boys had to figure some way to make him kick in. So Maddux told him who's back of the Swede."
"You mean Delany?"

--to which my only real response was, "Look, James M. Cain, if you don't want me to read your novel, you can just say so." It's possib
Johnny
Sep 06, 2011 Johnny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pulp-adventure
Having seen films based on James M. Cain’s novels and being a fan of classic “noir,” one would have thought that I would have read at least one of his classic “noir” novels. But no! I stumbled across a copy of Love’s Lovely Counterfeit and decided it was time to discover what made this author a master of the genre. I may have picked the wrong book. While I enjoyed this one, the characters felt even more cardboard than those in a “B” movie. Ben Grace, the protagonist, could easily be a Bogey char ...more
Mariano Hortal
"Ligeramente Escarlata" de James M. Cain. Aprovechando la publicación de "Mildred Pierce", recupero este libro que tenía un poco olvidado por ahí del gran escritor de novela negra norteamericano y así le dedico un pequeño monográfico. En este caso nos encontramos con una novela al uso, clásica, con esos ingredientes que definieron al género. Un chófer sirve al gran criminal que maneja todos los hilos del hampa en la ciudad y está emparentado con el alcalde vigente, eso sí, se acercan elecciones ...more
Eric Hendrixson
Jan 02, 2012 Eric Hendrixson rated it liked it
port22
Sep 28, 2014 port22 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Love, at first real, is made subservient to power. And the people that love are consumed by the greed, and then destroyed.

But this is not a drama of epic style, in the prose of James M. Cain it all grows from a trivial setup in a second-rated city somewhere in the middle of America.

Ben is a driver of the local minor league mob boss. Forced into the job by his prematurely ended career in football, he harbors grudges for the station in life that the mafioso appointed for him.

The book begins at a t
Douglas Castagna
One of the only pieces Cain wrote with a movie in mind, Love's Lovely Counterfeit is lacking in every area that makes his other novels compelling and highly readable. This seemed like a chore to get through and before I finished it this time I had started to read it several times last year. I have yet to see the movie that was based in this story; Slightly Scarlet, but I am sure it cannot be any worse than this entry in the James M Cain cannon.

This is a rare third person narrative (for Cain) tha
Sistermagpie
May 12, 2011 Sistermagpie rated it liked it
Shelves: novels, american-lit
Another Cain book, this one I hadn't heard of before now. This one's straightforward crime, the story of a mob chauffeur who sees a chance to take over for his boss. Naturally he meets a woman or two, one of whom is truly bad and therefore the love of his life. The story's pretty fun, full of dirty politics, murder switcheroos and guys with nicknames like Goose and Lefty. I admit I was hoping for a worse ending for the bad girl because she sounded like a real pain in the neck.
wally
Nov 09, 2014 wally rated it liked it
Shelves: cain
4th from cain for me. onward and upward.

an okay story...just okay...had the feel of something plotted out in advance and written to that device though it did get a tad more interesting as it neared the end. abrupt ending...as if...cue porky pig...da-da-da-da dat's all folks! cue the looney tunes theme song.
Howard Goodman
Sep 11, 2013 Howard Goodman rated it liked it
B-Movie Cain.

We're in Lake City, where the chauffeur of a mob boss takes over the rackets and an idealistic young woman aligns with him, until her trouble-prone sister enters the scene.

Mines the same territory as Hammett's "Glass Key" and "Red Harvest," but with lesser yields.
Ryan W.
Ryan W. rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Dr_zaius
Dr_zaius rated it did not like it
Jul 08, 2014
Kirk Smith
Kirk Smith rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2012
Zachariah Stonerock
Zachariah Stonerock rated it liked it
May 12, 2016
Atram_sinprisa
Atram_sinprisa rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2013
Rainim
Rainim rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2015
Maupassant
Maupassant rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Brian R
Brian R rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2010
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2012
Nick Freundlich
Nick Freundlich rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2015
A.B. Patterson
A.B. Patterson rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Leon Marks
Leon Marks rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2014
Kalizarbas
Kalizarbas rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Abby
Abby rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2012
Eachan
Eachan rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2013
  • Cassidy's Girl
  • You Live Once
  • Little Caesar
  • Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye
  • Dead Calm (John Ingram #2)
  • Scarface
James Mallahan Cain was an American journalist and novelist. Although Cain himself vehemently opposed labelling, he is usually associated with the hardboiled school of American crime fiction and seen as one of the creators of the 'roman noir'.

He was born into an Irish Catholic family in Annapolis, Maryland, the son of a prominent educator and an opera singer. He inherited his love for music from h
More about James M. Cain...