Start by marking “Love's Lovely Counterfeit” as Want to Read:
Love's Lovely Counterfeit

Love's Lovely Counterfeit

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Published 1946 by The World Publishing Company (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Love's Lovely Counterfeit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love's Lovely Counterfeit

Algernon
I was aware of the author as a primary source for some of my favorite noir movies, so I knid of knew what to expect. Indeed, this is very much a book of its time: 1942. Lake City - an imaginary mid Western town after the prohibition, the gangsters have the police and politicians under their thumb and can act with impunity from a downtown hotel.
Enter two young idealists - one man thinking he can escape the consequences of his bad decision of hooking up with a crime lord and one woman thinking tha
Johnny
Having seen films based on James M. Cain’s novels and being a fan of classic “noir,” one would have thought that I would have read at least one of his classic “noir” novels. But no! I stumbled across a copy of Love’s Lovely Counterfeit and decided it was time to discover what made this author a master of the genre. I may have picked the wrong book. While I enjoyed this one, the characters felt even more cardboard than those in a “B” movie. Ben Grace, the protagonist, could easily be a Bogey char ...more
Mariano Hortal
"Ligeramente Escarlata" de James M. Cain. Aprovechando la publicación de "Mildred Pierce", recupero este libro que tenía un poco olvidado por ahí del gran escritor de novela negra norteamericano y así le dedico un pequeño monográfico. En este caso nos encontramos con una novela al uso, clásica, con esos ingredientes que definieron al género. Un chófer sirve al gran criminal que maneja todos los hilos del hampa en la ciudad y está emparentado con el alcalde vigente, eso sí, se acercan elecciones ...more
Eric Hendrixson
port22
Love, at first real, is made subservient to power. And the people that love are consumed by the greed, and then destroyed.

But this is not a drama of epic style, in the prose of James M. Cain it all grows from a trivial setup in a second-rated city somewhere in the middle of America.

Ben is a driver of the local minor league mob boss. Forced into the job by his prematurely ended career in football, he harbors grudges for the station in life that the mafioso appointed for him.

The book begins at a t
wally
Nov 09, 2014 wally rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: cain
4th from cain for me. onward and upward.

an okay story...just okay...had the feel of something plotted out in advance and written to that device though it did get a tad more interesting as it neared the end. abrupt ending...as if...cue porky pig...da-da-da-da dat's all folks! cue the looney tunes theme song.
Sistermagpie
Another Cain book, this one I hadn't heard of before now. This one's straightforward crime, the story of a mob chauffeur who sees a chance to take over for his boss. Naturally he meets a woman or two, one of whom is truly bad and therefore the love of his life. The story's pretty fun, full of dirty politics, murder switcheroos and guys with nicknames like Goose and Lefty. I admit I was hoping for a worse ending for the bad girl because she sounded like a real pain in the neck.
Howard Goodman
B-Movie Cain.

We're in Lake City, where the chauffeur of a mob boss takes over the rackets and an idealistic young woman aligns with him, until her trouble-prone sister enters the scene.

Mines the same territory as Hammett's "Glass Key" and "Red Harvest," but with lesser yields.
Erik Laiho
There's a good reason you've never read this one before---it's no-good.
Doug Reed
Doug Reed is currently reading it
May 18, 2015
Antti Hakola
Antti Hakola marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Byron Despres-Berry
Byron Despres-Berry marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Neill
Neill marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Sharon Proffer
Sharon Proffer marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
C Melhuish
C Melhuish marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Latonya Towler
Latonya Towler marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Roxie
Roxie marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Fred L
Fred L marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
  • Cassidy's Girl
  • Heed the Thunder
  • The Black Curtain
  • Cockfighter
  • Where is Janice Gantry?
  • Dead Calm
James Mallahan Cain was an American journalist and novelist. Although Cain himself vehemently opposed labelling, he is usually associated with the hardboiled school of American crime fiction and seen as one of the creators of the 'roman noir'.

He was born into an Irish Catholic family in Annapolis, Maryland, the son of a prominent educator and an opera singer. He inherited his love for music from h
More about James M. Cain...
The Postman Always Rings Twice Double Indemnity Mildred Pierce The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity, Mildred Pierce and Selected Stories The Cocktail Waitress (Hard Case Crime #109)