Start by marking “Wings of the Dawn” as Want to Read:
Wings of the Dawn

Sigmund Brouwer

Wings of the Dawn

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  399 ratings  ·  45 reviews
In 1312, in the Moors of England, Thomas pursues his destiny-the conquest of Magnus, an 800-year-old earldom and castle. Magnus is only the beginning of Thomas' quest, one that will unearth ancient secrets, test his fragile faith, and place him squarely against an evil conspiracy.
Published by Chariot Victor Publishing (first published November 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Wings of the Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wings of the Dawn

Katherine Maxwell
This book is my favorite of all time.. I read it in its original form, Magnus,(which I must say I prefer the name and the cover art than to the newer version) and met the author when i was in the third grade...since then I have read it at least once a year..I am now 24 years old..I have destroyed several copies and now that it is out of print, again, I have purchased every copy I can get my hands on so that I will have some for my kids.
The story is such a great mix of Medieval intrigue, romance
Bill Krieger
Wow, the first 300 pages of Wings of Dawn are a fun 4-star romp. The book is set in medieval England. There's tons of action with heroes and villains and peasants and knights and the whole deal. It's very fast-paced, chockful 'o action. This is not detailed historical fiction that places you in the time period with elaborate narration or anything. It's meat and potatoes, baby. Which is good. Count me in!

Alas, the book dies a pretty horrible, twisted (and disappointing) death over the last 150 pa
Bethany F.
An amazing book!

What a breath of fresh air. This book shows a realistic view of the medieval world through a complicated and wonderfully woven plot.

My first ever Sigmund Brouwer read. I've gone back and read it so many times!
Frode
Fun, fun, fun. I read this book in the mid-90's and passed it on to a number of young folk. Over time it disappeared from my collection. It was later republished as Wings of Dawn. Currently having read the first three installments of the Immortal series, a retelling with other back stories of Magnus, I went on a hunt to find a copy of the original Magnus. The internet is a marvelous tool. I found a used copy in Florida, ordered it, and enjoyed it immensely. There some Deus ex Machina type points ...more
Neil
I love this book! If I can find a hardback edition [or even one of the soft covers] of the book 'Magnus' I'll purchase them as well. It is a wonderful book! [Perhaps 'wonderful' is too strong a word, since I gave it only four stars as a rating, but a part of me wants to move it up to five stars. Perhaps after the next time I read it I may bump it up.]

It is a piece of historical fiction that takes place around 1310 - 1315 AD. The 'hero' has been taught to believe he will rescue the population and
Hope
I found a copy of WINGS OF DAWN at a local book exchange store, and thought "Why not?" Since then, many friends have shared that it is one of their favorite books - also out of print!

Sigmund Brouwer writes with simple yet elegant prose, weaving a tale of mystery and intrigue. WINGS OF DAWN follows the journey of a young orphan, Thomas of Magnus, in the dark ages of Europe. Thomas embarks on a quest to save England with a string of companions - he doesn't know until the end who is truly on his s
Megan
There was a lot that I enjoyed here, especially once the plot got going. I'm a Christian who tends to not particularly like Christian fiction, so I was pleased that the faith was plot-important and authentic but not forced or obnoxious. I think where the book fell short for me, though, was in two places.

First, the "is he a Druid or isn't he?" got a little old. It's a long book and I got frustrated that so much of the plot was due to people changing their beliefs about someone's loyalty. (Althou
Dayna
Aug 27, 2007 Dayna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This book has been published under different titles, and I think maybe even as a series. I originally read it under the title "Magnus" which is the title I prefer ... but when I went to purchase it this is the only one that I could find it under. It sounds like some dumb romance. It is one case where you really can't judge the book by the cover. It is such an enjoyable read!

It's about a young man named Thomas and his journey as he discovers ... well ... as he sets out to fulfill his life destin
Jori Hanna
This book was one of those books that was hard to get through in the beginning, but more and more after I put it down it got irresistable and I was dying to know what would happen to the characters. It's a rollar coaster ride with a lack of trust in all directions and clearly points out the dangers and struggles of being a spy and part of a larger covert opperation in which it is impossible to know who is for you and who is against you. This book is an absolute must read.
Jocelyn
Alicia
I can not say enough good things about this book. It's one of the books that got me into the science fiction and fantasy genre and into reading as a whole. It's certainly not perfect, and it's not very complex. But it's an honest clean fun book and holds a very special place in my heart.
J. Aleksandr Wootton
I own the original version of this book (originally titled Magnus). It had a couple of problematic details / plot twists towards the end, but for a pre-teen reader it made for good, page-turning medieval adventure reading.
Jessica
Or church library copy is from 1995 when it was still titled Magnus. Entertaining, clean, lots of action and adventure. I would have re-read it to death as a teen.
Jeff Simon
I actually read this under the title of Magnus. One of my favorite books. I read it multiple time in high school. Time to pull it off the shelf again?
Braden
This book didn't really grab me and I couldn't finish it. The characters, setting, and plot didn't make any sense. Everything I read felt really contrived.
Amber
While there were many good elements in this story, the author is very abrupt in his writing style. One moment the character is in one place and in the next paragraph he is somewhere else. He also doesn't spend a whole lot of time on descriptions. For example: the main character's love is often disguised as a cripple with bandages around her face. While he hints to the fact that she may not truly be scarred, he never actually comes out and describes what she actually looks like. This frustrates ...more
Benjamin
Fun read-aloud. Talk about plot twists though!
Hannah
Aha!! No wonder "Magnus" was impossible to find! The title has been changed to a far more common-sounding and uniformed type of title(as has the cover art). But no matter, it does not diminish the fact that this book is excellent. Not to much of the overly lustful physical attraction found in many Christian books but just a touch of romance. I can see why some people were annoyed by a bit of overexplanation but I still adore this book and have read it several times.
Misty
This book faithfully remains one of my all time favorites. I still regularly re-read it and it has a place of honor on my shelves.

The characters are written vividly, the plot is engaging and deep, and the world building and description is second to none. My only sadness about this book is that it was a standalone and I could read only one!
Kimberly Knight
My all time favorite book that my groom to be introduced me to in 2005. I purchased both copies our local library had at the time, just for the sentiment. I would definately say this is a mustread for those that aspire to see things out of the box: It will not be a waste of your time in the slightest.
Julianna
This book will give each individual that reads it a great sense of excitement when they read it. From the very first page, "Wings of Dawn" is and continues to be simply enthralling!! I say that anyone who lacks the interest in reading should try this book and then see what they think. It's Wonderful!!!
Stephanie
The story was interesting enough, but the writing was heavily expositional and repetitive. I haven't noticed that in any of Brouwer's other writing. The story, also, wasn't very original. Overall I wasn't very impressed. I like a lot of his other books much better.
Erin
Fortunately I did not purchase this title but got it from the library. I was suprised to learn that this is the same book as "Wings of Dawn". The reviews on Barnes and Nobles did not make that clear. I did enjoy the novel immensely.
Erin
This was an amazing book that I simply picked up because the cover looked interesting. It is full of action but doesn't have gratituous foul language. I am looking for more by this author. Srongly recommend this to teen and older.
Mary
My favorite book from high school. My copy is pretty worn, but I love the story. About five pages in, I was hooked! The characters have interesting backgrounds, and the story line keeps you guessing. It's a really enjoyable read.
Adriel Salzgeber
I thought it was one of the best books I have ever read. It was clear and there were no blank spots or boring spots. It is a thrilling ride from the beginning to the end. BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ. Lot of surprises at the end...
Kathleen Joy
The beginning was a bit slow but when it started getting exciting (which is a little after the beginning) it kept on getting better as it went along so when it was close to the end it was REALLY good.
Carol Macdonald
I wasn't sure I was going to like it at first with the superstitious stuff, but it turned out to be scientific knowledge. I would give it a 3 1/2 stars if I had that option, but not quite 4.
Kirstin
Brouwer was one of my favourite authors as a kid. I met him...twice!! This book is divided up and watered down a bit as a kid series as well, but it's much better in its single form.
Dina
I read this book years ago, but I loved it! It's a long book, but I remember reading it in just days. My husband loved it too. Sigmund is a great author!
  • The Emerald Isle (Heirs of Cahira O'Connor #4)
  • A Bride for a Bit
  • Return to Alastair (Tahn Dorn #2)
  • Island of the Innocent (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #7)
  • By Way of the Wilderness
  • Flight Of The Eagles (Seven Sleepers, #1)
  • The Deadly Curse of Toco-Rey (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #6)
  • Guardian of the Flame
  • Cherry Ames, Cruise Nurse (Cherry Ames, #9)
  • Lions of the Desert (Egypt Trilogy #2)
  • The Shadow Within (Legends of the Guardian-King, #2)
  • Deirdre (Fires of Gleannmara, #3)
  • Angel of Mercy (Shannon Saga #3)
  • The Siege of Dome (Empyrion #2)
  • The Last Sacrifice
Sigmund is married to songwriter recording artist Cindy Morgan. The couple and their two young daughters divide their time between Red Deer, Alberta and Nashville, Tennessee. He loves going to schools to get kids excited about reading, reaching roughly 80,000 students a year through his Rock&Roll Literacy Show.
More about Sigmund Brouwer...
Broken Angel (Caitlyn Brown, #1) Devil's Pass (Seven, #6) The Canary List Thief of Glory Oxygen Level Zero (Mars Diaries, #1)