Start by marking “Raising the Dead” as Want to Read:
Raising the Dead

Raising the Dead

Raising the Dead is Ron Rash's third book of poetry. The overall theme is loss, both the social loss from the disappearance of communities due to the external effects of technology, and the personal loss from the death of a family member. The book is divided into five sections with the first and last dealing with the social impacts of the flooding of the Jocassee Valley on ...more
Unknown Binding, 75 pages
Published January 1st 2002 by Iris Press

To ask other readers questions about Raising the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising the Dead

Larry Bassett
Apr 23, 2014 Larry Bassett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This is the third book of collected poetry by Ron Rash and was published in this book format in 2002. Many of the poems were previously published in journals and magazines. Rash put out a couple of books in quick succession of collected works. Clearing the deck while he has the chance. His popularity has taken off with his recent success of Serena. His fans are looking back to his early work, poetry that has its origins in Appalachian Welsh culture.

Dams creating reservoirs that cover the history
Erika Dreifus
Jun 20, 2010 Erika Dreifus added it
Shelves: poetry
Maybe the only thing more powerful than reading Ron Rash's poems is hearing Ron Rash read them in person. By the time he'd finished "Black-Eyed Susans," from the second section of this book, our entire row was in tears.
Cathy DuPont
Apr 28, 2014 Cathy DuPont rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Ron Rash's poetry. One reason, besides the high recommendation from my GR friend Larry Bassett, is because Daddy was from western NC, northern GA and a family cemetery was relocated before the Hiwassee Dam was built.

There are many unknown burials in the Ledford Cemetery. But they are all my family in spirit.

I am so proud to have such close connections to the Smoky Mountains and the people there. They are hard working, religious, good solid people that I'm happy to call family. Ron Rash
Pat
Mar 18, 2013 Pat rated it really liked it
A series of poems mostly centers on Appalachia. Water, ghosts, nature. Having grown up in western NC, the imagery spoke to my heart. The heart and soul of the mountains and its people...
Tabitha Vohn
Feb 06, 2017 Tabitha Vohn rated it liked it
Shelves: high-brow, poetry
Meh...it just wasn't for me, and that's no fault of the poet.

Raising the Dead is a very accomplished collection that gives insight into rural life in Appalachia. It relies heavily on nature imagery and narrative; both of which are fine...if that's the type of poetry you enjoy.

I prefer a more confessional genre of poetry. The distance that the poet places between himself and the subject matter then left me with a feeling of indifference and an inability to connect to the subject matter. However
David Ward
Raising the Dead by Ron Rash (Iris Press 2002)(811) is a collection of the poetry of noted author Ron Rash. I liked this very much; the author never strays from the South that he knows. The darkest offering here is "Madison County 1934" which the author later turned into an unforgettable short story. Other themes included cold-blooded abandonment ("Kephart in the Smokies"), irretrievable loss ("Carolina Parakeets"), and the loss of homeland("Beyond the Dock"). This is a valuable addition to the ...more
Alarie
Jan 03, 2014 Alarie rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Waking (5 stars) was more consistently good. In it, as in Rash’s novel, Serena, I was bowled over by his power of description. The early poems in this book seemed to be a bit too straightly narrative and less poetic, but by section II (of V), he won me over again. My favorite metaphor was in finding an old pocket watch in a creek whose “hands do not move, remain still at six-thirty, one placed on the other like dead man’s hands.”
Angela
Jan 17, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it
If you've never read Ron Rash's poetry, this book is a good place to start, narrative poems with a common theme. I especially liked "Beyond the Dock," "Black Eyed Susans," and "At Reid Hartley's Junkyard."
Scott Thompson
May 20, 2012 Scott Thompson rated it it was amazing
I love this book of poems so much that I keep it in the car with me. When I'm waiting for someone or have a few minutes alone I open the book and read a poem or two. Rash has captured the region and the feelings.
Scott Holstad
May 09, 2012 Scott Holstad rated it it was ok
Really boring nature poetry. I bought it because the author taught at the university I attended. However, I was far from impressed and rather glad I never had a class with him. I prefer Bukowski and the Beats, thank you very much.
TJ
Mar 10, 2016 TJ rated it really liked it
If you are familiar with any of Ron Rash's works of fiction, you will see ties specific stories here among this collection of poetry.
Karen
Nov 27, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
I love Ron Rash. And reading these poems, which are closely connected to his first novel (and my favorite of his) One Foot in Eden, is a special joy.
Gina
Gina rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Mimi Wright
Mimi Wright rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2013
Jim Manis
Dec 02, 2014 Jim Manis rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Read slowly, and pay attention to the low, long, soft vowel sounds.
Deric Sallas
Deric Sallas rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2013
Sherry Chandler
Sherry Chandler rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2012
James Mosteller
James Mosteller rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2008
Danielle Gribbins
Danielle Gribbins rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2013
William Clark
William Clark rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Caroline Rash
Caroline Rash rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2013
Lark
Lark rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2007
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2017
Laura H.
Laura H. rated it did not like it
Mar 18, 2013
Amy Morrison
Amy Morrison rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Rita Quillen
Rita Quillen rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2007
Jason Gant
Jason Gant rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2013
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2008
Rusty
Rusty rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • The Life of Emily Dickinson
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • Mushroom in the Rain
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • Berlioz the Bear
  • A Summer of Hummingbirds: Love, Art, and Scandal in the Intersecting Worlds of Emily Dickinson, Mark Twain , Harriet Beecher Stowe, and Martin Johnson Heade
  • The New York Stories
  • The Lady in the Lake, The Little Sister, The Long Goodbye, Playback (Everyman's Library)
  • Delphi Complete Works of Henry James (Illustrated)
  • Little Pink Pup
  • A Weed Is a Flower: The Life of George Washington Carver
  • Sophie's Masterpiece: A Spider's Tale
  • Revolutionary Road / The Easter Parade / Eleven Kinds of Loneliness
  • Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Anna Banana: 101 Jump Rope Rhymes
Ron Rash is the author of the 2009 PEN/Faulkner Finalist and New York Times bestselling novel, Serena, in addition to three other prizewinning novels, One Foot in Eden, Saints at the River, and The World Made Straight; three collections of poems; and four collections of stories, among them Burning Bright, which won the 2010 Frank O'Connor International Short Story Award, and Chemistry and Other St ...more
More about Ron Rash...