Start by marking “Raising the Dead” as Want to Read:
Raising the Dead

Raising the Dead

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Raising the Dead is Ron Rash's third book of poetry. The overall theme is loss, both the social loss from the disappearance of communities due to the external effects of technology, and the personal loss from the death of a family member. The book is divided into five sections with the first and last dealing with the social impacts of the flooding of the Jocassee Valley on ...more
Unknown Binding, 75 pages
Published January 1st 2002 by Iris Press

To ask other readers questions about Raising the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising the Dead

Larry Bassett
This is the third book of collected poetry by Ron Rash and was published in this book format in 2002. Many of the poems were previously published in journals and magazines. Rash put out a couple of books in quick succession of collected works. Clearing the deck while he has the chance. His popularity has taken off with his recent success of Serena. His fans are looking back to his early work, poetry that has its origins in Appalachian Welsh culture.

Dams creating reservoirs that cover the history
Erika Dreifus
Jun 20, 2010 Erika Dreifus added it
Shelves: poetry
Maybe the only thing more powerful than reading Ron Rash's poems is hearing Ron Rash read them in person. By the time he'd finished "Black-Eyed Susans," from the second section of this book, our entire row was in tears.
Cathy DuPont
I love Ron Rash's poetry. One reason, besides the high recommendation from my GR friend Larry Bassett, is because Daddy was from western NC, northern GA and a family cemetery was relocated before the Hiwassee Dam was built.

There are many unknown burials in the Ledford Cemetery. But they are all my family in spirit.

I am so proud to have such close connections to the Smoky Mountains and the people there. They are hard working, religious, good solid people that I'm happy to call family. Ron Rash
Pat
A series of poems mostly centers on Appalachia. Water, ghosts, nature. Having grown up in western NC, the imagery spoke to my heart. The heart and soul of the mountains and its people...
Alarie
Waking (5 stars) was more consistently good. In it, as in Rash’s novel, Serena, I was bowled over by his power of description. The early poems in this book seemed to be a bit too straightly narrative and less poetic, but by section II (of V), he won me over again. My favorite metaphor was in finding an old pocket watch in a creek whose “hands do not move, remain still at six-thirty, one placed on the other like dead man’s hands.”
David Ward
Raising the Dead by Ron Rash (Iris Press 2002)(811) is a collection of the poetry of noted author Ron Rash. I liked this very much; the author never strays from the South that he knows. The darkest offering here is "Madison County 1934" which the author later turned into an unforgettable short story. Other themes included cold-blooded abandonment ("Kephart in the Smokies"), irretrievable loss ("Carolina Parakeets"), and the loss of homeland("Beyond the Dock"). This is a valuable addition to the ...more
Scott Holstad
Really boring nature poetry. I bought it because the author taught at the university I attended. However, I was far from impressed and rather glad I never had a class with him. I prefer Bukowski and the Beats, thank you very much.
Scott Thompson
I love this book of poems so much that I keep it in the car with me. When I'm waiting for someone or have a few minutes alone I open the book and read a poem or two. Rash has captured the region and the feelings.
Claudia Mosey
Sep 22, 2012 Claudia Mosey marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist, wish-list
I want to read Black Eyed Susans
Kenna Ellis
Kenna Ellis marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Sarah J. Belcher
Sarah J. Belcher marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Gary Thorn
Gary Thorn marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie added it
Sep 14, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Harriet
Harriet marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Donna
Donna added it
Aug 12, 2014
Thing Two
Thing Two marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Sammi Anderson
Sammi Anderson marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Claire Neubauer
Claire Neubauer marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Matt Pez
Matt Pez marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Brian Neal
Brian Neal marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Danielle Hinson
Danielle Hinson marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • Mushroom in the Rain
  • Berlioz the Bear
  • Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave
  • Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Little Pink Pup
  • Little Grunt and the Big Egg
  • How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightning
  • Going West
  • Ruby's Wish
Ron Rash is the author of the 2009 PEN/Faulkner Finalist and New York Times bestselling novel, Serena, in addition to three other prizewinning novels, One Foot in Eden, Saints at the River, and The World Made Straight; three collections of poems; and four collections of stories, among them Burning Bright, which won the 2010 Frank O'Connor International Short Story Award, and Chemistry and Other St ...more
More about Ron Rash...