Start by marking “The Brontës And Their World” as Want to Read:
The Brontës And Their World
Preview

The Brontës And Their World

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The Bronte sisters, who occupy such an important place in English literature, continue to fascinate us--the passionate intensity of Emily's Wuthering Heights and her poetry, the blend of romance and realism in Charlotte's Jane Eyre and Villette, the domestic drama of Anne's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.
144 pages
Published (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Brontës And Their World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brontës And Their World

Tatiana
This is by no means a definitive biography of the Brontes. It is very short, basic, full of pictures of places and people in the Brontes' lives. I liked that the author presented facts in a responsible manner without trying to shock or sensationalize certain events in the sisters' lives.

Overall it presented a much cheerier view of Anne, Emily and Charlotte's experiences than I had expected. Their existence wasn't in fact as dreary as some suggest. The tradition of portraying the Brontes leading
Amalie
This is a very short biography of the Brontës compared to the ones I've read but Phyllis Bentley really fully explores the lives of the Brontë sisters in their familial and social context. Reading about the Brontës is like a hobby to me because I always end up learning something I didn't know before.

One thing I like this about is how the author has reduced or how he had managed not to add spoilers of their writing. So for someone who is new to their readings will like this better. Compared to J
Heather
Puts to rest some of the myths attached to the Bronte phenomenon. Written by a Yorkshirewoman, herself an established author, this is a brief, but well-rounded picture of the three sisters. Although we, at this distance,might see their lives as stultifying, I think each, in her own way, had purpose in her life, and was fulfilled in achieving that goal.
April
This was a very short biography (with a lot of pictures) of the Bronte sisters who wrote Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, etc. They were definitely interesting people. They had a whole "play world" as children and into their 20's that was very...I don't know what the word is...strange maybe. Now I want to read full biographies on all of them.
Nancy
Excellent pictorial biography of the Brontes. I loved seeing some of their artowrk as well as reading about their personal lives. It was facsinating.
Alice Fletcher
I began and completed this book in a few hours, partly due to my intense fascination for the Bronte’s and otherwise because the length of the book is not too dauntingly spanned and the contents for me (as a Bronte enthusiast) are already somewhat well known. Despite this I must mention that through reading this book I feel I have an improved and more analytical view towards the works of the Bronte’s as not only is their lifetime briefly documented and explored (albeit not as indepthly as say Eli ...more
Corax Corvin
This book flows like a river without any unnecessary word.
Rebecca
I wanted a better understanding of the everyday life of the Bronte family and this book gave me a very good idea of what life was like for them. It was easy to read, and there were a lot of pictures along with the story. It makes me appreciate the modern conveniences of life that we enjoy and that I hope I never take for granted.

Their family experienced a lot of very difficult circumstances and hardships. It helps me understand more about the books that the Bronte women wrote.
Quirkyreader
This book is a brilliant resource. I'm going to purchase a copy and add it to my personal collection.

Even though the photos and illustrations are black and white, this book should belong in every Bronte lovers library.

Granted that this book only touches the surface of the Bronte family, it was very well written and should inspire people to learn more about the Bronte family.
Pola
I started reading it because I wanted to know a few things more about the authors of Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights.. Honestly I was amazed by their struggles and by the fact that Charlotte managed to become famous being alive and received the praise that her book deserves.. For all the Bronte fans strongly recommend it!
Candy
This is not the correct book I read. The one I read by this author was 976 pages. Very good and informative. I didn't know there were more than one Bronte author. Don't regret spending all the time it took to read this.
Katie
An enjoyable overview of the Bronte's lives. It's only a brief description, but it's a good taster and the pictures of various places the Brontes lived and original texts is interesting.
Shelley
Good synopsis of the Brontes sisters's, especially Charlotte's, lives. The second half of the book, which seeks to analyze their work, is far less satisfying.
Judy
Too much detail, but overall I liked it.
Sidney
Pretty good. Very short though.
Arshad Khan
Arshad Khan marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Cindy Newton
Cindy Newton marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Tea avec Books
Tea avec Books is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2015
Kacie
Kacie marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Kelsey Hand-cunningham
Kelsey Hand-cunningham marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Hollie
Hollie marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
PHYLLIS BENTLEY, the Yorkshire author, was born in November 1894. Her father was a junior partner in a manufacturing concern located at Dunkirk Mills, Halifax. She was educated at Halifax High School for Girls and Cheltenham Ladies College. A munitions worker in London during the First World War, she returned to Halifax where she taught English and Latin at Heath Grammar School.From an early age h ...more
More about Phyllis Eleanor Bentley...
The House of Moreys The Young Brontes Inheritance A Man Of His Time The Rise of Henry Morcar