Start by marking “The Brontës And Their World” as Want to Read:
The Brontës And Their World

The Brontës And Their World

The Bronte sisters, who occupy such an important place in English literature, continue to fascinate us--the passionate intensity of Emily's Wuthering Heights and her poetry, the blend of romance and realism in Charlotte's Jane Eyre and Villette, the domestic drama of Anne's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.
144 pages
Published (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Brontës And Their World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brontës And Their World

May 29, 2016 Sonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
خواهران برونته:
شارلوت، امیلی و آن برونته سه خواهر از فرزندان پتریک برونته کشیش ایرلندی هستند که علیرغم سن کم و مرگ زودهنگامشان نقش مهمی در ادبیات قرن نوزدهم ایفا کرده اند. ماریا، الیزابت و برن ول فرزندان دیگر این کشیش بودند که آنها نیز عمر کوتاهی داشتند و همگی در اثر بیماری سل از بین رفته اند.
فرزندان برونته در کودکی مادرشان را که او نیز فردی با ذوق ادبی و علاقه مند به مطالعه بود از دست دادند، اما آنها عشق به مطالعه را به ارث برده بودند
سه خواهر و برادرشان برن ول در نوجوانی در دفترچه های بسیار کوچ
Sep 21, 2010 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
This is by no means a definitive biography of the Brontes. It is very short, basic, full of pictures of places and people in the Brontes' lives. I liked that the author presented facts in a responsible manner without trying to shock or sensationalize certain events in the sisters' lives.

Overall it presented a much cheerier view of Anne, Emily and Charlotte's experiences than I had expected. Their existence wasn't in fact as dreary as some suggest. The tradition of portraying the Brontes leading
May 10, 2012 Amalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
This is a very short biography of the Brontës compared to the ones I've read but Phyllis Bentley really fully explores the lives of the Brontë sisters in their familial and social context. Reading about the Brontës is like a hobby to me because I always end up learning something I didn't know before.

One thing I like this about is how the author has reduced or how he had managed not to add spoilers of their writing. So for someone who is new to their readings will like this better. Compared to J
Stacey (wanderlustforwords67)
I just read this in one sitting; I couldn't get enough! There are 140 illustrations, along with facts and hypothesis about where Charlotte, Emily and Anne's locations, houses and characters came from- all people and places they knew in their lives. It reads like fiction and I was fascinated with their tale! I wouldn't change s thing!!!
Sep 29, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Puts to rest some of the myths attached to the Bronte phenomenon. Written by a Yorkshirewoman, herself an established author, this is a brief, but well-rounded picture of the three sisters. Although we, at this distance,might see their lives as stultifying, I think each, in her own way, had purpose in her life, and was fulfilled in achieving that goal.
Dec 15, 2008 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a very short biography (with a lot of pictures) of the Bronte sisters who wrote Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, etc. They were definitely interesting people. They had a whole "play world" as children and into their 20's that was very...I don't know what the word is...strange maybe. Now I want to read full biographies on all of them.
Chris Gager
Another rescued tome. I've had this around for a while and have skimmed it but now I'll read the whole thing. The subject matter is compelling and so far the pictures and text form an easy and informing read about this curious and amazing family. The cover of my edition is a sort of abstract collage/painting of the three sisters, perhaps sitting out on the moor. Not pictured in the lookup ...

Finished last night with this brief overview of the lives of the family. It was interesting enough and a
Apr 15, 2008 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Excellent pictorial biography of the Brontes. I loved seeing some of their artowrk as well as reading about their personal lives. It was facsinating.
Alice Fletcher
Aug 05, 2013 Alice Fletcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began and completed this book in a few hours, partly due to my intense fascination for the Bronte’s and otherwise because the length of the book is not too dauntingly spanned and the contents for me (as a Bronte enthusiast) are already somewhat well known. Despite this I must mention that through reading this book I feel I have an improved and more analytical view towards the works of the Bronte’s as not only is their lifetime briefly documented and explored (albeit not as indepthly as say Eli ...more
Corax Corvin
Jul 23, 2014 Corax Corvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book flows like a river without any unnecessary word.
Aug 01, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I wanted a better understanding of the everyday life of the Bronte family and this book gave me a very good idea of what life was like for them. It was easy to read, and there were a lot of pictures along with the story. It makes me appreciate the modern conveniences of life that we enjoy and that I hope I never take for granted.

Their family experienced a lot of very difficult circumstances and hardships. It helps me understand more about the books that the Bronte women wrote.
Oct 21, 2012 Quirkyreader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a brilliant resource. I'm going to purchase a copy and add it to my personal collection.

Even though the photos and illustrations are black and white, this book should belong in every Bronte lovers library.

Granted that this book only touches the surface of the Bronte family, it was very well written and should inspire people to learn more about the Bronte family.
Jul 20, 2011 Pola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading it because I wanted to know a few things more about the authors of Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights.. Honestly I was amazed by their struggles and by the fact that Charlotte managed to become famous being alive and received the praise that her book deserves.. For all the Bronte fans strongly recommend it!
Jan 05, 2013 Candy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the correct book I read. The one I read by this author was 976 pages. Very good and informative. I didn't know there were more than one Bronte author. Don't regret spending all the time it took to read this.
Sep 05, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
An enjoyable overview of the Bronte's lives. It's only a brief description, but it's a good taster and the pictures of various places the Brontes lived and original texts is interesting.
Aug 24, 2012 Shelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good synopsis of the Brontes sisters's, especially Charlotte's, lives. The second half of the book, which seeks to analyze their work, is far less satisfying.
May 05, 2011 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too much detail, but overall I liked it.
Pretty good. Very short though.
Carl Smith-owens
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Kristy rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Vesper marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Jennifer Blanco
Jennifer Blanco marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Shiva marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Maria Estela
Maria Estela marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
PHYLLIS BENTLEY, the Yorkshire author, was born in November 1894. Her father was a junior partner in a manufacturing concern located at Dunkirk Mills, Halifax. She was educated at Halifax High School for Girls and Cheltenham Ladies College. A munitions worker in London during the First World War, she returned to Halifax where she taught English and Latin at Heath Grammar School.From an early age h ...more
More about Phyllis Eleanor Bentley...