3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  776 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Published January 1st 2003 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about The Policy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Policy

The Association by Bentley LittleThe Store by Bentley LittleThe Resort by Bentley LittleThe Mailman by Bentley LittleDispatch by Bentley Little
Bentley Little's Best
9th out of 20 books — 32 voters
Dracula by Bram StokerThe Exorcist by William Peter BlattySwan Song by Robert McCammonLet the Right One In by John Ajvide LindqvistHeart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Best Horror Novels Not By King or Koontz
83rd out of 332 books — 279 voters

More lists with this book...

William M.
Exactly what I expected from one of today's finest horror novelists. Well written characters, bizarre situations, and a real sense of menace is what Bentley Little is all about. I recommend this book to newcomers as a good example of Little's style... setting an innocent family up against a seemingly unpenetrable force of evil. "The Policy" is totally entertaining and you'll find it hard to put down. If you enjoyed this book, "The Association" and "The Store" have very similar concepts. Every ye...more
Garrett Nicolai
While Bentley Little is praised (or derided) as a horror author, the best works I've read by him (the Store, and now the Policy) work more as satire than as straight-out horror. Is there creepiness? Yes. Do people die? Yes. Is there some kind of supernatural cause behind all of the events in the novel? Again, yes, but there is an underlying root of reality behind the sheer shake-your-head ridiculousness.

The Policy takes a look at our dependency on insurance, the refusal of insurance groups to p...more
John Bruni
Bentley Little has an unusual gift: he can take anything, no matter how mundane, and make it seem sinister. This time out, the villain is a nameless insurance company, embodied by an insurance representative in Tucson, AZ. (Another of Little's talents: taking bureaucracies and turning them into savage things of horror.) At first, the insurance company seems just like any other, but soon, their policies start seeming odd. For example, they offer employment insurance, guaranteeing that you will ne...more
Chip Howard
"The Policy" is exactly what I've come to expect from Bentley Little, one of the current talents in the horror field--it's a solid, reliable read. (That may not sound like a ringing endorsement, but honestly, reliability can be hard to come by in this genre.) Little is a good storyteller. He also seems to enjoy hitting below the belt on occasion, so be warned.

Those icky moments aside, I do wish it had been a little genuinely scarier. Most of the book seems intent on frustrating the reader more...more
Brian Schwartz
THE POLICY was exciting and intriguing for the first three quarters. Little builds the tension and suspense nicely with each twist to the insurance racket. But the ending was so woefully bad that I ended up not liking the book at all.

The trip to Mexico and the absurdity of these ancient beings working in an office in the desert stretched credibility too far. He should have written a better ending when Hunt found the Tuscon office.

There were also red herrings and other occurrences that were put f...more
Katie
Bentley Little is a master at taking our everyday worries and turning them against us. In this case, the everyday worry is insurance, or more specifically, an insurance company that seeks to control every aspect of its customers' lives.

The story centers around Hunt Jackson, who has moved back home to Phoenix following a bitter divorce. Almost immediately, he runs into issues with his insurance - vandalism, harassment from his agent - until he receives an offer from a door-to-door insurance sales...more
Rosina Lippi
There's a fine line in the horror genre, one that separates a good story from a not-quite-right story. This novel crosses that line.

Little has one of those imaginations that know no bounds. This makes for some great stories, but they are not for the faint of heart. This one definitely is not for anyone with a soft spot for children, because there is violence, and it is focused on an infant.

And still, it's well done. The premise is completely believable (at first): one of those nightmare scenar...more
Katie

Jarrett Fullerton
Very solid book, on par with some of Little's best stuff. I still believe The Store to be his greatest work, but here too he does what he does best- takes something ordinary and seemingly harmless as insurance and builds it up and twists it until it becomes a life threatening force. With his skill and pacing, Little is capable of making even the most absurd premise (like a homicidal mailman for instance) believable and terrifying.

One of the best horror writers of our time in my mind.
Mehmet
I enjoy Bentley Little books as I find them original, the story lines are unique if often daft and over the top. But here lies Mr Little's strength almost all his books start of believable.
The Policy is a horror novel about an Insurance company. That’s all your need to know fellow book lovers, You will love the main characters of the story and you will cringe at the horrors which befall them, even feel disgusted.
I found the book quiet disturbing at certain points. I could relate to the fears...more
Cher
Jul 07, 2008 Cher rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
This book gets two stars from me versus my usual one for all of his work, on account of how many events that happen in the novel are actually utterly bizarre and frightening. Going to the dentist and waking up from nitrous treatment to discover your entire mouth is now comprised of metal teeth = brilliant horror. However, the whole reasoning behind the evil and the resolution of it was once again, in typical Little fashion, idiotic. Still, this book actually had some interesting ideas and wasn't...more
Chris Cangiano
Another good effort by Little. This one is about an Evil Insurance Company that spreads mayhem and death where ever it goes. It sounds silly but Little is able to create wonderful and truly weird and horrific vignettes within the story to create a palpable sense of menace. Little excels at drawing weirdness and horror from the mundane. The ending once again feels rushed but if you've read Little before then you know to expect that. The creepy dentist and the even creepier hospital are well worth...more
Angela
Iamthez
Meh. It wasn't anything amazing, it wasn't anything terrible. I found it interesting that this one group of friends happened to be the most unluckiest group of people ever until the very end when they needed all the luck they could get.

I've heard people complain about how it just turned randomly supernatural, and I guess it did, although really, it'd been hinting that way for a while.

It was an okay read, and I'm glad I found it in a bargain bin, because it really wasn't anything special.
Kim Higgs
Thank you Bentley Little for having a good ending. I really enjoyed this book and as I always say he scares me when I am nearing the end of his books because he is not the best at them but he pulled this one off. If you enjoy Bentley, this is one of the better ones! It also is scary because while it is suppose to be a topic taken to an extreme and be scary, maybe even humorous on one hand - it reminded me of Obama Care and the Bilderberg Group which is frightening!
Jasmin
Sehr gut geschrieben.
Ashleigh
Loved it up until the end. What a weird ending. I hate when authors just seem to throw an ending together. It's something that Bentley Little does a lot. But other than the ending being crap it was a good book. Really made me question insurance companies and their motives. I know they aren't really "evil" but ever wonder why sometimes when you turn down extra insurance something always happens? ;) Just something to think on lol.
Darin
Working in the IT department of an insurance company gives me an appreciation of this story more so than others might. I found many parts of it amusing, but that is Little's trademark, mining the dark comedy out of his horror.
J.N.
Bentley Little's writing is similar to Stephen King except I think Little is darker than King (I know, SHOCK). This was an intriguing book and although it's a little far-fetched, it was still good. Some of the things that happened were really . . . shocking though. So if you want a shock, to be horrified, and be entertained, read this or at least one of his books.
Heather
This is only the second B. Little book I've read, the first was awesome, I'd never read anything like it, but this one seemed to follow the same pattern as the first book I read, that caused me to quickly loose interest. I'm hoping that waiting a few weeks and reading some different genres will allow me to enjoy the next book of his I try to read.
Alejandro
First completed novel of the new year, and it is tremendous. Bentley Little is my new favorite horror author.

The concept, an evil and seemingly omnipotent insurance agency menacing a group of middle-class Arizonans, may sound odd or even goofy, but Little executes the plot with such skill!

Joe Bob says DEFINITELY check it out.
Julia
bizarre, weird, supernatural, and some pretty vulgar language. It defintiely kept my interest, but i was hoping for more of a big bang ending considering how crazy the story got at times. It left me feeling deflated, like I could've written a better ending if i had time to think about it.
Rebekkila
The story of an insurance company that makes your life miserable until you buy their insurance. It was good in the beginning. I am not a fan of insurance companies in general. But it started to get long and I flipped to the end to see who survived the evil.
Denise
Hier gibt es Versicherungen für alles! Z. B. eine Versicherung die mir meine körperliche unversehrtheit garantiert. Oder eine, die mir meinen Arbeitsplatz garantiert, inkl. der Garantie dass ich den Spaß an der Arbeit nicht verliere!
Spannend!
Natalie Byrd
I really enjoyed this book. It's the second time I've read it. Bentley Little writes horror books. This book was interesting and kind of funny when you think about the absurdity of buying insurance for every little thing.....
Susan Tan
Reads more like a personal tirade against insurance companies and their agents rather than a chiller. One of those which makes you wish that you weren't so anal about finishing a book.
Kurt Reichenbaugh
I was working for a Life Insurance company when I read this. I liked it. I lent it to some co-workers, but they didn't dig it too well. I'm no longer at that company either.
Jenny
Eh. Not so scary, but the ending was better than I thought it would be. I'll give this author another chance but am underwhelmed.
Melissa Johnson
Not a good book. Read like a rant against the insurance companies which I do understand, just doesn't make for a good read.
Hatezel
I get the willys every time I see a fedora. I LOVE this book. It stayed with me and many things remind me of it.
  • Midnight's Lair
  • The Black Train
  • The Loveliest Dead
  • Offspring: The Sequel to Off Season
  • Ghost Walk (Leisure Fiction)
  • The Killing Kind
  • Deep in the Darkness
Bentley Little is an American author of numerous horror novels. He was discovered by Dean Koontz.

Little was born one month after his mother attended the world premiere of Psycho. He published his first novel, The Revelation, with St. Martin's Press in 1990. After reading it, Stephen King became a vocal fan of Little's work, and Little won the Bram Stoker Award for "Best First Novel" in 1990. He mo...more
More about Bentley Little...
The Store The Association The House The Collection The Resort