Start by marking “Broken Trail” as Want to Read:
Broken Trail

Broken Trail

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Based on historical documents and more than five years of research, Broken Trail tells the story of a rancher who comes across five Chinese girls who are being transported from San Francisco to Wyoming, where they will be forced into prostitution in a mining camp. The story, written by Alan Geoffrion, has been made into a screenplay. The movie will be released by AMC on Ju ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Pinnacle (first published May 16th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Trail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Trail

Karla
It's my understanding that Alan Geoffrion is friends with Robert Duvall and that this story was written with him in mind. Even though the main plot is based on apparent historical fact, the character of Print Ritter is so reminiscent of Augustus McCrae that I think there was some tailoring done to make it a Duvall role in case there was ever a film version!

But onto the book itself. The prose style is not as ornate or deep as my preference, but I found myself enjoying it immensely nonetheless. It
Pygmy
Kellyanne
I don't write many reviews unless a book is especially good or especially horrible.. Broken Trail is hands down my favorite western of all time.. Liked the movie, LOVED the book!! It's definitely a tear jerker and it will piss you off in some parts.. .. But it is an amazing read !! To each it's own, you may not like it but I have recommended it to people I know that don't even enjoy westerns and they loved it..

Based on a true story, the things those five young women go through happened far too
Julie
I bought this book after seeing it as a movie on AMC. It is the first and only western genre book I've ever read. It has a solid plot and believable (flawed but well-intentioned) characters. Simply a beautiful story, beautiful movie.
Micki
Kinda story that just moseys along. Not too much action but enough to keep me reading. Print and Tom develop a trusting friendship and, more often, it's Tom who saves Print. Looking forward to seeing the TV movie.
Josh Stevens
Lately, for some odd and unknown reason, I've been on a Western theme kick. So it was only fitting that I pick up a Western read. While this book started off slow, it definitely hit its stride a few chapters in. I am, generally speaking, a fan of books and novels that have a slew of action and a basis in the horror genre. This book had not the slightest bit of either of those aspects, but I absolutely loved it. The description that Geoffrion uses to paint pictures of the landscape of the story i ...more
Mirah W
I really enjoyed this book...I'm going to rank it second to the Lonesome Dove series by Larry McMurtry. I thought the characters were great...even though the book isn't that long, the author really gives the reader a sense of who the characters are and I really cared for them. When I was reading the physical description of Print Ritter, Robert Duvall immediately came to mind (in the author questions Geoffrion admits that the character was based on Duvall). I thought the plot was great and though ...more
Keith Herlihy
I enjoy the movie so I got the book it's definitely a nice little read
Blake
Alan Geoffrion wrote BROKENTRAIL, which is an old time, western book from the movie starring Robert Duvall. This book took me a while to read so i would get lost in places but all in all it was good. Print and Tom, who are the main two cowboys, take over five hundred horses all the way to Wyoming. Along the way they meet this guy selling these five Chinese girls for prostitution. Deciding to risk their lives, Print and Tom have to fight to try and save them. I would recommend this book to anyone ...more
Cate
Catherine
Having thoroughly enjoyed the movie of the same name, I was quite excited to find that it was based on this wonderful book (I'm not going to compare the movie and book as they are both great in their own right). The book contains many rich and colourful characters and pulls your right out there into the American West. It touches on the compassion of "tough" cowboys but without being a "soppy" story. Being too short was the only downside...but then, had it been longer, it may not have been what i ...more
Alison
The movie was much better. :(
Greg
An uncle and nephew set off from Eastern Oregon driving a herd of 500 horses to Wyoming. This book is less about moving livestock and more about the people -- good and bad -- who were drawn to this part of the American West in the late 19th Century.

I know most of the places in this book -- Burns, Jordan Valley, Silver City, Albion -- and it's fascinating to see how Geoffrion, a Virginian, paints these places separated from him by so much space and from all of us from so much time.
Brian
My Dad handed me this western paperback about an old cowboy who drives a herd of horses from Oregon to Wyoming, and saves a wagon-load of Chinese girls who were going to be sold as prostitutes. It's a pretty exciting story, and then you get to the end and find out the entire thing is true!
Robert Duvall starred in the movie version of this book, and played a role in the book being written. I could picture him pretty clearly as Print, the old cowboy.
Patricia
This is a really good story that would have benefited from being fleshed out a little more. I loved this TV mini-series and bought the book with high hopes, but it just was a little skimpy on back stories and details.
Yeva
Broken Trail is a story that takes you on a journey- taking horses across the West and a man's journey through the end of mid-life. This was a very good book with strong description and even stronger emotions.
Well done, Alan Geoffrion.
Rose Ann
Aug 25, 2008 Rose Ann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folks who love a good story
Recommended to Rose Ann by: found at the library
This is a western, and the basis for a miniseries on AMC. Well, I don't usually read westerns, BUT -- this was very very well-written and entertaining. I could not put it down and spent all day reading it.
Escapism...south dakota style. I liked that it had references to southwest Virginia too.
Lara
Mildly entertaining, but can't say much more for it than that.
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Kelsie
Kelsie marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Catherine Cosper
Catherine Cosper marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Colton Fincannon
Colton Fincannon marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Brokentrail (Easyread Large Edition)