Start by marking “Broken Trail” as Want to Read:
Broken Trail

Broken Trail

Based on historical documents and more than five years of research, Broken Trail tells the story of a rancher who comes across five Chinese girls who are being transported from San Francisco to Wyoming, where they will be forced into prostitution in a mining camp. The story, written by Alan Geoffrion, has been made into a screenplay. The movie will be released by AMC on Ju ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Pinnacle (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Trail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Trail

Karla
It's my understanding that Alan Geoffrion is friends with Robert Duvall and that this story was written with him in mind. Even though the main plot is based on apparent historical fact, the character of Print Ritter is so reminiscent of Augustus McCrae that I think there was some tailoring done to make it a Duvall role in case there was ever a film version!

But onto the book itself. The prose style is not as ornate or deep as my preference, but I found myself enjoying it immensely nonetheless. It
Pygmy
Kellyanne
Sep 07, 2013 Kellyanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't write many reviews unless a book is especially good or especially horrible.. Broken Trail is hands down my favorite western of all time.. Liked the movie, LOVED the book!! It's definitely a tear jerker and it will piss you off in some parts.. .. But it is an amazing read !! To each it's own, you may not like it but I have recommended it to people I know that don't even enjoy westerns and they loved it..

Based on a true story, the things those five young women go through happened far too
Kerrie
Sep 12, 2012 Kerrie rated it liked it
Shelves: western
This one has the framework of a good plot but it felt hampered with just-average writing. There were lots of scenes that seemed simply for effect and atmosphere that didn't move the story along whatsoever. I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm thinking it will provide the extra dramatic punch that the book lacks.
Julie
May 20, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book after seeing it as a movie on AMC. It is the first and only western genre book I've ever read. It has a solid plot and believable (flawed but well-intentioned) characters. Simply a beautiful story, beautiful movie.
Micki
Aug 09, 2013 Micki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kinda story that just moseys along. Not too much action but enough to keep me reading. Print and Tom develop a trusting friendship and, more often, it's Tom who saves Print. Looking forward to seeing the TV movie.
P.S. Winn
May 20, 2017 P.S. Winn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a great story of the old west. It combines the story of horsemen and Chinese girls brought to America to be used in the worst way. This is a touching story of life and hard times, that includes unusual friendships that arise because of those same hard time. Amazing look at the past and life.
Josh Stevens
Jun 09, 2013 Josh Stevens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lately, for some odd and unknown reason, I've been on a Western theme kick. So it was only fitting that I pick up a Western read. While this book started off slow, it definitely hit its stride a few chapters in. I am, generally speaking, a fan of books and novels that have a slew of action and a basis in the horror genre. This book had not the slightest bit of either of those aspects, but I absolutely loved it. The description that Geoffrion uses to paint pictures of the landscape of the story i ...more
Blake
Jan 19, 2009 Blake rated it liked it
Shelves: q3-2009
Alan Geoffrion wrote BROKENTRAIL, which is an old time, western book from the movie starring Robert Duvall. This book took me a while to read so i would get lost in places but all in all it was good. Print and Tom, who are the main two cowboys, take over five hundred horses all the way to Wyoming. Along the way they meet this guy selling these five Chinese girls for prostitution. Deciding to risk their lives, Print and Tom have to fight to try and save them. I would recommend this book to anyone ...more
Mirah W
Jul 22, 2011 Mirah W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book...I'm going to rank it second to the Lonesome Dove series by Larry McMurtry. I thought the characters were great...even though the book isn't that long, the author really gives the reader a sense of who the characters are and I really cared for them. When I was reading the physical description of Print Ritter, Robert Duvall immediately came to mind (in the author questions Geoffrion admits that the character was based on Duvall). I thought the plot was great and though ...more
Cate
Aug 23, 2011 Cate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catherine
Oct 05, 2013 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having thoroughly enjoyed the movie of the same name, I was quite excited to find that it was based on this wonderful book (I'm not going to compare the movie and book as they are both great in their own right). The book contains many rich and colourful characters and pulls your right out there into the American West. It touches on the compassion of "tough" cowboys but without being a "soppy" story. Being too short was the only downside...but then, had it been longer, it may not have been what i ...more
Greg
Oct 12, 2007 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An uncle and nephew set off from Eastern Oregon driving a herd of 500 horses to Wyoming. This book is less about moving livestock and more about the people -- good and bad -- who were drawn to this part of the American West in the late 19th Century.

I know most of the places in this book -- Burns, Jordan Valley, Silver City, Albion -- and it's fascinating to see how Geoffrion, a Virginian, paints these places separated from him by so much space and from all of us from so much time.
Brian
Nov 04, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
My Dad handed me this western paperback about an old cowboy who drives a herd of horses from Oregon to Wyoming, and saves a wagon-load of Chinese girls who were going to be sold as prostitutes. It's a pretty exciting story, and then you get to the end and find out the entire thing is true!
Robert Duvall starred in the movie version of this book, and played a role in the book being written. I could picture him pretty clearly as Print, the old cowboy.
Rose Ann
Aug 25, 2008 Rose Ann rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: folks who love a good story
Recommended to Rose Ann by: found at the library
This is a western, and the basis for a miniseries on AMC. Well, I don't usually read westerns, BUT -- this was very very well-written and entertaining. I could not put it down and spent all day reading it.
Patricia
Jul 21, 2014 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good story that would have benefited from being fleshed out a little more. I loved this TV mini-series and bought the book with high hopes, but it just was a little skimpy on back stories and details.
Yeva
Jul 08, 2010 Yeva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Broken Trail is a story that takes you on a journey- taking horses across the West and a man's journey through the end of mid-life. This was a very good book with strong description and even stronger emotions.
Well done, Alan Geoffrion.
Lara
Nov 22, 2009 Lara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mildly entertaining, but can't say much more for it than that.
Keith Herlihy
Mar 27, 2014 Keith Herlihy rated it liked it
I enjoy the movie so I got the book it's definitely a nice little read
Kayla Holthe
Jun 26, 2015 Kayla Holthe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish there would have been more. More about the girls, Nola and even Tom. Could have delved deeper into characters and where they came from. It was a good book, just wished there had been more.
Chuck Eaton
Chuck Eaton rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2015
JOHN
JOHN rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Fred
Fred rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2008
Gabriel Oak
Gabriel Oak rated it really liked it
May 24, 2009
Ricklin
Ricklin rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2011
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2008
Robbie We.
Robbie We. rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
John Deatherage
John Deatherage rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2013
Ruby Clifton
Ruby Clifton rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Nancy Johnson
Nancy Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015