Breaking Free: Discover the Victory of Total Surrender

Breaking Free: Discover the Victory of Total Surrender

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  6,212 ratings  ·  142 reviews
A best-selling book now available in paperback for the first time!

Do you want to know God and really believe Him? Do you want to find satisfaction in God, experience His peace, and enjoy His presence? Do you want to make the freedom Christ promised a reality in your daily life?

In Breaking Free , Beth Moore embarks on a study of selected passages from the book of Isaiah, dr...more
Published April 1st 2007 by B&H Books (first published June 1st 1999)

The Power of Now by Eckhart TolleThe Four Agreements by Miguel RuizA New Earth by Eckhart TolleEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertYou Can Heal Your Life by Louise L. Hay
Healing & Spirituality
76th out of 478 books — 472 voters
Free Fall by Amber Lea EastonLove Is Stronger Than Death by Stanley M. GiannetThe Cost of Hope by Amanda   BennettThe Real Book of the Dead by Collette SinclaireOn Death and Dying by Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
Healing Care Resources
12th out of 107 books — 102 voters

More lists with this book...

Becky
An insightful study in the book of Isaiah. I fully expected God to reveal more of Himself as I gave my attention to Him but did not expect to "see" so much more of myself. While the process is painstaking it's also a relief and helpful in knowing what obstacles are on the path of my Christian walk. Gained a lot of insight into areas that I need to surrender and the model for how to do that. Loved this study!

Angela
Holy Toledo. In going through a year's counseling and really watching God peel of the layers of stuckness from my life a few years back, I went into this Bible study with 2 things stacked against it:

1) I thought I was going to struggle through Beth Moore as an author (I was judging a book by it's cover - or an author by their reputation in this case - and just didn't think she was going to be an author that I would easily hear from)
2) I went into it knowing I would learn things & seeking God...more
Jen
Where I live it is possible to ask women if they've had their BM for the day and they understand it to mean Beth Moore. I read this book as part of a womens' study at a church I used to attend, at a time when Beth Moore was just beginning to be the bee's knees. Her writing is hardly revolutionary, but since the christian sub-culture is behind on almost everything, she was considered to be a new voice.

This particular book was about breaking free from things that have held you back from living t...more
Robin
Feb 26, 2010 Robin added it
Reading this for the second time...the woman at our church are doing the in-depth Bible study of this topic, but I am doing the less-intense version since Baby #3 is due this month.
Finally...and I do mean FINALLY I finished this book. It is probably a much better study than it is a book, but I enjoyed it and was challenged, so it was definitely worth the time I spent reading it...which was at a snail's pace, I assure you. The point of the book--that you can be saved and still be living in bondag...more
Sherri Hayes
Amazing that Beth Moore can write a book on four lines of scripture, Isaiah 61:1-4. I have memorized this passage and it will forever be close to my heart. Overcoming a stronghold is powerful. Coming face to face with it may be hard, but once you face it and give it to God....well, you can probably write a book :-) I love Beth Moore and her candid speaking of how she has (and still is) overcome her obstacles. I learned my love for Bible Study from Beth Moore. She makes it a fun adventure.
Pamela
Jul 17, 2012 Pamela added it
This book helped me learn what I needed to learn of Gods love and grace and how to recognize and then to let go of what kept me prisoner. A must read in my opinion for everyone who has junk in their life that they carry guilt and or are ashamed for others to know and have regrets or living with consequences that hurt. Get it, read it, study it, do it - get free :)
Lady
May 09, 2010 Lady added it
great book for self examination...... if you are ready to be honest with yourself.
Shalena
Moore starts the book off with a challenge….memorizing the word of God. That in its self gets my mind rolling with a slight tinge of anxiousness. Moore emphasizes verses from Isaiah which help one’s mind to “break free” from the stronghold of idols, pride, legalism, prayerlessness, and unbelief and to make “Him to become God alone to you with a powerful story to tell”. Many self examples are used to paint the picture of overcoming these strongholds. The use of Hebrew/Greek words and definitions...more
Paula
Mar 24, 2010 Paula is currently reading it
A Christian is held captive by anything that hinders the abundant and effective Spirit-filled life God planned for her. Breaking Free proves God's words in Galatians 5:1, "It is for freedom that Christ has se us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." This Bible Study's themes come from the book of Isaiah. A must read for all Christian women!
Dana Arcuri
Another awesome bible study by Beth Moore! Dig deep into hidden area's within your life where God is seeking to turn trash into beautiful treasures. Surrendering is key to growth as a Christian & despite the pain involved, it's quite necessary. Very empowering!
Debbie Taylor
One of the most powerfully moving Bible Studies I've ever undertaken. Although some scoff at her fill-in-the blank methods, the content was deeply thought provoking and emotionally stirring. I came away changed and healed after participating in this study!
Amy
Went through this for a women's bible study. I think I liked the bible study and the women in it more than the actual book.
Title: BREAKING FREE
Author: Beth Moore
Publisher: Broadman & Holman
2007 (reprinted from 2000)
ISBN: 1-59328-028-9
Genre: Inspirational/Christian living

In BREAKING FREE, Beth Moore introduces the readers to nine different lessons and has several different parts – The lessons are too long to mention here, but the parts are:

I. From Cap...more
Ang
Reading "Breaking Free" was a very personal retreat for me. I took my time reading, reflecting, studying, praying the chapters. Beth Moore's study brought about awareness & perceptions from strongholds I've had for years. A beautiful written book drawing me closer in my relationship with God and giving me peace. I also have "Breaking Free Day by Day" to help me reflect daily on my spiritual journey. Beth Moore is very inspiring and compassionate. I really enjoyed the book.
Rhonda
This book is what you want to put into it. If you just want to skim the surface or go to a nice women's gathering, it might be kind of intense causing you to tune out. If you want to dig deep into God's Word, this might not be "inductive Bible study" enough for you, causing disappointment. Beth Moore is a little intense for my California-ness, but every time she seems to be over the top, she says something so true, it stops me cold.

Breaking Free is part Bible study and part commentary/book. It h...more
Beth Peninger
It took me two months to read this book. But not because it was bad or hard to read but because it was so deep and so heart provoking that I could only do a few chapters at a time and then I had to stop and chew for awhile. This was a good good read. But more than that it was a good, no great, unpacking of what true liberty in Christ is. Beth Moore did a thorough job of helping the reader understand what binds and what can and does free. Her writing is easy to read but not simple to digest. She...more
Jodi Woody
This was a wonderful Woman's Bible Study! I think everywoman should read it. Beth Moore gives insight into some of the common problems that women have gone through from infancy and how to break free from your past. I give the book 5 stars. The writing is simple, yet in depth. This book will change the way you think. Great for individual study or for a group study. I highly recommend this book. Appropriate for high school age and up.
Emily
Maybe it was the length of time it took our bible study group to read this book. Perhaps it was the time of year. Maybe I just wasn't ready for this message. I am not sure...but...this was not an enjoyable read. I felt like the chapters were short and kind of left you hanging...never really digging in deep until the end of the book, and even then it wasn't really deep or very explanatory. Plus, by that time, we were so far removed from the beginning chapters that it was hard to "put it all toget...more
Kameron
Awesome. Christ has won the victory and we truly can live in liberty through Him! Beth is amazing. This book was so Bible-focused (the book of Isaiah) and so God centered. Though she could have made it all about her own journey to freedom, she continually points the reader away from herself and onto the Lord. That is why He has blessed her ministry so much. It is amazing to me that even Christians who have the assurance of salvation through Christ, can still get so easily caught up in lies/bonda...more
Betty Bakies
Horrible, horrible, book. I'm sad that I not only purchased it but read it. I do however love her book Believing God
Angie
I read this book in treadmill chunks...literally. God must have known that He could have my full concentration while on the treadmill because every time I tried to read a chapter of Breaking Free while not on the treadmill--I quickly became bored and couldn't focus on the content. On the treadmill, however, I had to figure out how to get sweaty hands to highlight what resonated with me and I wanted to remember for later. Thank you for the gift of this book and the added benefit of exercising whi...more
Anna
Truly the best study I've ever gone through that led me to better understanding myself, my hinderances to God, and a way to clear the path back to a more whole relationship with Him. This study digs deep, uncovers past hurt, as well as areas in my life I didn't even realize were affecting my relationship with God until I read more about it. I recommend this book to everyone, male or female, young or old. It caused me to grow deeper in my relationship with God, and has given me a new awareness of...more
Susie
This was another one of those books I had started reading before and put down for some reason. I just finished reading it and loved it! I now see lots from the book of Isaiah that I had never really looked for before. I'm sure the next time I read through Isaiah I will be reminded of the many nuggets Beth Moore shared with us through her study. God wants us to live a life of freedom--not in bondage to our past. He has made us free through His Son. If we choose not to live in freedom, it affects...more
Setfree2day
If your willing to look into your ownself..and allow truth of God's word to replace the lies you believed, to trust God with your past as well as your future then this is the book for you. This is an intense study.. It's a book you just can't "read" through. There are applications, memorizing, and the willinginess to let go of yourself ( die to yourself) And let God rule. There was a lot of weeping for me..and this was needed.. but Joy was replaced. REad this book slowly - don't try to hurry wit...more
Jenna Lynn
This book is one of my favorite devotional/Christian books ever. It was so challenging to read, to feel convicted on every page. But at the same time it was very eye-opening. I recommend to anyone, but especially women, since Beth really has a heart for women. I recommend only reading 1-2 chapters a day so that you can take it all in. I might even consider reading it again sometime, maybe when I get to the book of Isaiah on my year long study of the Bible.
Regina
I thought I would try reading one of Beth Moore's books because it seems like everyone on Facebook is raving about her. But I gotta tell you, I wasn't impressed. It seems like she spends more time telling you what she's GOING to tell you then what she does just telling it! It's a lot of repetition and got downright boring. I found myself skimming over portions because it was nothing new. I doubt if I'll finish the book at this rate.
Ebookwormy
A phenominal study that I was privelieged (sp!) to complete with a wonderful group of women. This study is about seeking out strongholds of the enemy in your life and how to find freedom in Christ.

This is the most intense Beth Moore study i have done. The personal application is very intimate, and groups/ individuals may need to work through it slower than the one week one chapter and/or review it. A life changing study.
Libby
An amazing, life-changing book - so why only 4 stars? Because I ended up buying the workbook and CDs to do instead. The book is really more of an outline of the deeper study contained in the workbook / CDs.

Workbook - http://www.lifeway.com/Product/breaki...

CDs - http://www.lifeway.com/Product/breaki...
Heather
Did the study guide with my small group. Very time consuming but learned a lot about the bible and how to navigate. Beth Moore's yearning to break women of their chains and live a free life in Christ is very evident and heart-felt. I am happy I did the study and learned much about myself and identity in Christ. Do not read or start this study if you have limited time as it requires all you've got!
  • Grace for the Moment: Inspirational Thoughts for Each Day of the Year
  • Discerning the Voice of God: How to Recognize When God Speaks
  • A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself & Live in the Security of God's Promises
  • Lord, I Want to Know You: A Devotional Study on the Names of God
  • Me and My Big Mouth!: Your Answer is Right Under Your Nose
  • Lessons I Learned in the Dark
  • Having a Mary Spirit: Allowing God to Change Us from the Inside Out
  • Calm My Anxious Heart
  • The Power of a Praying Woman
  • The Bondage Breaker
  • Walking with God: Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really.
  • A Woman After God's Own Heart
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living
  • God's Love: How the Infinite God Cares for His Children
  • The Search for Significance: Seeing Your True Worth Through God's Eyes

FROM THE AUTHOR'S WEB PAGE: Beth founded Living Proof Ministries in 1994 with the purpose of teaching women how to love and live on God’s Word. She has written numerous books and Bible studies, including Breaking Free, Believing God, and When Godly People Do Ungodly Things, that have been read by women of all ag...more
More about Beth Moore...
Praying God's Word: Breaking Free From Spiritual Strongholds Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman [With 6 DVDs and Leader Guide, Member Book] So Long, Insecurity: You've Been A Bad Friend To Us Get Out of That Pit!: Straight Talk about God's Deliverance Believing God

“God surpasses our dreams when we reach past our personal plans and agenda to grab the hand of Christ and walk the path he chose for us.  He is obligated to keep us dissatisfied until we come to him and his plan for complete satisfaction.” 37 likes
“A Christian is held captive by anything that hinders the abundant and effective Spirit-filled life God planned for him or her.” 3 likes