Start by marking “Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches” as Want to Read:
Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches

Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  1,255 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
This book enables readers to compare three approaches to research - qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods - in a single research methods text. The book examines these methodologies side by side within the process of research, from the beginning steps of philosophical assumptions to the writing and presenting of research. Written in a user-friendly manner, this text ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Sage Publications (CA) (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Research Design, please sign up.

Joseph Erasmus just open a book, after the front cover , the second sheet contain the information the books name, author, edition , publisher, and setting

Bahia
This book is a great introduction to qualitative and quantitative research methods. It's easy to read and understand. It focuses more on the overall parts of research and a research paper and the differences between qualitative and quantitative approaches. It takes the reader through the fundamentals of selecting your research, reviewing the literature, using theory, and writing strategies and then goes into more details in designing and writing your research. It addresses the introduction, purp ...more
Timothy Darling
Creswell, John. Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative and Mixed Methods Approaches. Los Angeles: SAGE Publications, Ltd., 2009.
Research Design as an introduction to dissertation planning is a rather difficult and technical read. In that way, it is probably quite appropriate, since a dissertation is a massive undertaking and deserves to be introduced in all its complexity. The introduction of the philosophies behind the different methods is a little like jumping into the deep end of the pool
Hans
May 05, 2011 Hans rated it it was ok
Grrrr.... Books like this are about as exciting as reading through an obscure instruction manual for a put-it-together-yourself-kiddie-play-place. I get what the author is trying to accomplish. It is just agonizing to read cover to cover like a novel. Books like this should be probably referenced continually instead of read straight through. Context and application are the only way something like this will be helpful.

That being said let me also suggest never to buy "ebooks" from XPLANA, they suc
Joy
Jan 20, 2014 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must-have for budding scholars who need to know the format of a quality research proposal. I'm at the end of my program, so there are many lessons that are presented in this book that are review for me. I wish I had this book when I began my program because it clears up many of my initial questions. For example, there is a section that clarifies the Research Problem versus the Research Questions, a line that I had a hard time differentiating when I started this doctoral journey. N ...more
Michael Gerald
This is another of the primary textbooks I use in my research methods class and it is a decent supplement to Alan Bryman's book, Social Research Methods.
Fred
Dec 04, 2013 Fred rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prof-development
Worst. Book. Ever.

Seriously. If this wasn't a required textbook I'd never waste my time on it. So, if you have any control over whether or not you read this book STAY AWAY. I think the writer is one of those people that just likes to hear himself talk. Unfortunately, he's managed to convince people like publishers, editors, and academics that if he uses a bunch of big words in order to state simplistic ideas that it somehow makes the stuff coming out of his mouth actually mean something.

I hate
Cheryl
Feb 28, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent guide to the types of research designs and methods and all they entail. The explanations are clear and concise, the examples are helpful, and the language throughout is straightforward and highly readable. Great text!
Scott Wright
Oct 06, 2015 Scott Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This book was at times way above my head as a student, sometimes a bit repetitive. In the end, if you are trying to learn about research design, at the beginning stages, then this is a good resource. It shouldn't be your only resource, but one of several.
Babak
Jan 04, 2015 Babak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: research
An excellent reference book for writing good designs for your research, be it a master or a phd. I wish it also included design science.
Eric Herr
This is a re-read for my Capstone. Found it enjoyable and valuable the first time around and imagine it will serve me well as a reference book the second time around.
Melissa Cowder
Feb 17, 2017 Melissa Cowder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This textbook was used in one of my college courses. Though a little dry, it is an informative book and provides great direction on researching writing and structuring.
Maureen
Feb 05, 2017 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book for school work
Ben
Apr 24, 2015 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge fan of textbooks for theory courses, but for methods courses I find their use justifiable. I'm using this text for a course that I'm currently teaching and while it has its limitations, it provides students a solid introduction to different methodological approaches in social science research, with a good, basic overview of the role of theory in research, the purpose of literature reviews, a discussion of how to write a research question and develop a research proposal, etc. I wis ...more
Lili
Aug 10, 2012 Lili rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-for-fun
I originally read the first edition of this book in a required research methods class for a Masters of Arts degree. At the time, it was very helpful in framing the scope and methodology of a social science thesis proposal. I dragged out the more recent edition this summer to help with framing the scope of my comment for law journal. Parts were very helpful - especially the sections on a literature review, literature map and elements of a thesis statement sentence - but much of it was just not re ...more
Febri Koto
Fahed S. Al Kerdi
Nov 09, 2016 Fahed S. Al Kerdi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic-books
I like the flow of the ideas in this book, you don't need to read to much in order to understand how to design your research. On of the most astonishing things in this book is the Comprehensiveness in processing the research components. In addition, the author of this book is following the changes in the theory of the academic methods; a plenty of examples and frames has been adjusted through the editions, which can be considered critically an advantage point for the person who'd like to study t ...more
Sandra Sanders
Dec 31, 2016 Sandra Sanders rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly can't think of a better introduction to social science research than this excellent book. I loved it so much- and learnt such a great deal from it- that I immediately went out and bought Creswell's more in-depth book looking specifically at qualitative design. The author has such a great non-fiction writing style- it's easy to read, personable, clear, well organised, succinct, and supported with great examples. Highly recommended.
Kiddonne
Jul 31, 2011 Kiddonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It depends on the reason why you've gotten it. If - like myself - you've been out of touch with research for a while and have only theoretical flashes to work with, this is a useful, down-to-earth manual, meant to help you work with the thoughts into a more constructive fashion.
If, on the other hand, you have it all figured out and are looking for the more specific take on things, this is not it.
Jeremy
This book is going to be quite useful for someone working on a doctoral dissertation. It's less helpful in providing specifics when it comes to more general research papers, but many of the strategies have value for any type of research, and it provides a good overview of qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods research with guidelines and considerations for each.
Sierra
Mar 16, 2015 Sierra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has some very useful information, but I felt that a lot of it was over my head. It took a while for me to get the terminology down. I would have appreciated more examples. Now that I have read through it and gained some ideas for the design of my capstone research, I will be looking back through this book to make sure I have everything covered.
Graham
Sep 28, 2012 Graham rated it liked it
Shelves: school, academic
While I think the text was inappropriate for a graduate level course given how broad it is, it does serve as a good introduction to general research methods and was presented logically. Some of the examples, especially for quantitative, felt difficult to connect to the point they were used to make.
Monique
Aug 19, 2014 Monique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: phd-stuff
Creswell has written the seminal guide to research design. If you want to know how to go about the putting your research together, read this. I have highlighted, dog-eared, and plastered post-it notes all over my copy. I know I will use this book over and over during the writing of my dissertation.
Jessica Buike
Aug 09, 2012 Jessica Buike rated it it was ok
This was a required course textbook for a research methods class I took while obtaining my Master's degree. Since it was a textbook I wasn't surprised to find it very boring. However, it was very comprehensive and I now understand the difference between qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods research.
Bjørn Peterson
Rather approachable text. However, the qualitative methodology tends to be positivist. It seems too many quantitative researchers believe that if you take a math problem and add words it becomes qualitative. This text plays to those under such a delusion.
Sarah Thomas
Creswell is amazing. I wonder what dinner conversations are like with such a detailed oriented person. No...I think you put the comma there and the period there...Really good for research but a painstaking read for grad school.
Pamela
Aug 09, 2010 Pamela is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm using this text for a class that I'm teaching in research design. I will read it throughout the Fall 2010 and will post updates. The other books that I've read from Creswell have been readable and practical. I look forward to reading this volume and implementing the tools I learn.
Intan Kirana
Dec 30, 2012 Intan Kirana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
gue kasih bintang empat karena uda ngebantu gue ngelewatin kelas metolit,tapi demi apapun, kalau skripsi ga perlu pake metode, kalau semua tugas kuliah ga perlu prosedur lalalili, ogah gue baca buku ini. Pusing, pengarangnya rada kepinteran gitu
Brigit
Creswell makes writing research a joy. The book serves as a recipe for writing a thesis, dissertation, or research proposal. It also includes lists of additional sources to support the research writing process.
Seth Pierce
Apr 07, 2015 Seth Pierce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely helpful for understanding, executing, and writing research/dissertations. However, I did glaze over a few times towards the end as it the author seems to state the obvious and became a little repetitive.
Research Methodology: March - Research Design - Creswell 1 4 Mar 03, 2015 09:27AM
  • Case Study Research: Design and Methods (Applied Social Research Methods)
  • Qualitative Research & Evaluation Methods
  • The SAGE Handbook of Qualitative Research
  • Tricks of the Trade: How to Think about Your Research While You're Doing It
  • Qualitative Data Analysis: An Expanded Sourcebook
  • Qualitative Research Design: An Interactive Approach
  • The Coding Manual for Qualitative Researchers
  • Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory
  • Practical Research: Planning and Design
  • The Discovery of Grounded Theory: Strategies for Qualitative Research
  • Student Development in College: Theory, Research, and Practice
  • Constructing Grounded Theory: A Practical Guide Through Qualitative Analysis
  • The Craft of Research (Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing)
  • Decolonizing Methodologies: Research and Indigenous Peoples
  • Qualitative Research: A Guide to Design and Implementation
  • How College Affects Students: Volume 2 - A Third Decade of Research
  • Social Research Methods
  • The Adult Learner, Sixth Edition: The Definitive Classic in Adult Education and Human Resource Development

“I am surprised at how often researchers fail to draft a title early in the development of their projects. In my opinion, the working or draft title becomes a major road sign in research—a tangible idea that the researcher can keep refocusing on and changing as the project goes on (see Glesne & Peshkin, 1992).” 0 likes
“Good, sound research projects begin with straightforward, uncomplicated thoughts that are easy to read and understand.” 0 likes