Start by marking “Collect All 21! Memoirs of a Star Wars Geek - The First 30 Years” as Want to Read:
Collect All 21! Memoirs of a Star Wars Geek - The First 30 Years

Collect All 21! Memoirs of a Star Wars Geek - The First 30 Years

Opening that first Darth Vader figure and putting him in a Landspeeder. Imagining a snowy elementary school playground as the wastes of Hoth. Seeing Return of the Jedi on opening night. Moments like these - and a galaxy more - make up three decades of "Memoirs of a Star Wars Geek." John takes the reader from a childhood packed with Star Wars guys (never "action figures") ...more
Published April 22nd 2009 by Lulu.com (first published July 20th 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Collect All 21! Memoirs of a Star Wars Geek - The First 30 Years

Judith
Dec 24, 2012 Judith rated it really liked it
Not a Star Wars Geek, not really a Geek, period, well just through association apparently it does rub off.

I didn't see Star Wars until the mid 80's, just not my thing. I meet and fell for a geek, and my world was changed.

I picked up this book at a little table outside a very cool bookstore for the DH's. John signed it and i went to the next table, not much thought involved.

The cool thing about John's little book is i pick it and read a chapter if i have a few minutes and I can see the boy my h
Bill
Feb 13, 2010 Bill rated it liked it
A fun, quick read, and it certainly brought back a lot of memories of my own childhood, when Star Wars was the all-consuming fire of my life, too.
Gib
Sep 16, 2012 Gib rated it really liked it
I came across John's book about eight months into writing my own. I admit that I was a bit annoyed at first, since I had thought the idea of writing a memoir of my childhood infatuation with Star Wars was an original one, and here John had beaten me to it by three years. But I ordered the book, read it, and couldn't stay annoyed! However different our backgrounds and childhoods were, it was impossible not to relate to his story. One of the points I try to make in my own book is just how many men ...more
Michael
May 08, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: pop-culture
Star Wars figures were always referred to as "Star Wars guys", never "Star Wars figures". I had forgotten.

This book is full of reminders like that, and for those of us who remember the mind-blowing amazement of unwrapping a mammoth AT-AT box at Christmas, or not realizing that Return of the Jedi sucked when you walked out of the theater because you had so much fun, it's a really enjoyable book. It's well worth reading for that reason (plus you can knock it out in no time, so why not?).

Why only 3
Khairul H.
Feb 09, 2011 Khairul H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: popular-culture
Even though I'm not American and did not grow up in America when the Original Trilogy was let loose on an unsuspecting world, I shared the same feelings John Booth had when he first saw Star Wars (always will be Star Wars and not Episode IV) and the subsequent sequels, the lean years and then watching the prequels as an adult. A great trip down memory lane even if my lane was half a world away.
Mark
Oct 27, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Taking a trip down your own memory lane is one thing, but following someone down theirs is a fascinating treat. John reminds us all how Star Wars changed our lives by telling us how it affected his life. It's a good feeling to know we are all connected by a common bond and reading John's memories makes all remember what it was like growing up with Star Wars. This is a must read.
Karl
Mar 13, 2009 Karl rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a trip! This book brought back memories that were so deeply hidden. It kinda freaked me out. Star Wars was a very important part of my life when I was 11 and I guess it will always be. This book chronicles the life of a young adult and his imagination that was stirred by Star Wars. If you loved this movie you will love it again while reading this book. Great fun!
Keith
Oct 22, 2008 Keith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great walk down memory lane if you grew up in the Star Wars generation! (disclosure: Booth is a close personal friend of mine, so I'm predisposed to love his work...also enjoyed "Crossing Decembers" quite a bit!)
Kent
Oct 11, 2014 Kent rated it it was amazing
If you were a child when Star Wars was new, you'll spend half of this read nodding along remembering similar "shared" times with your "Star Wars guys". This will make you feel young and old at the same time.
Matthew Flick
Matthew Flick rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Chad
Chad rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2014
Megan G
Megan G rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2013
Matthew Edwards
Matthew Edwards rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Michael Feeney
Apr 10, 2012 Michael Feeney rated it it was amazing
one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read. Every page brought back a wonderful memory.
David Morgan-Mar
Jan 17, 2015 David Morgan-Mar rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Larry
Larry rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Wade Aaron Inganamort
Wade Aaron Inganamort rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2012
Simon Perrins
Simon Perrins rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Ron Samul
Ron Samul rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Adam Gott
Adam Gott rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2012
David
David rated it really liked it
May 10, 2014
Chad
Chad rated it it was ok
May 13, 2014
Matt Kelland
Matt Kelland rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2012
Aschelle
Aschelle rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2012
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Ronan
Ronan rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2008
Nick Firis
Nick Firis rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016