Start by marking “The Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, 2 Vols w/Reading Glass” as Want to Read:
The Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, 2 Vols w/Reading Glass

The Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, 2 Vols w/Reading Glass

4.74 of 5 stars 4.74  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Linguistic type: lexicon. Complete text (without the four Supplement volumes) reproduced micrographically of the 13 volume Oxford English Dictionary published in 1933.
Volume 1. A-O
Volume 2. P-Z
Published October 15th 1971 by Clarendon/Oxford University Press (Oxford) (first published 1933)

Be the first to ask a question about The Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, 2 Vols w/Reading Glass

Sarah Keliher
I love this dictionary. Sometimes I flip it open and read it just for fun, peering down at the page with my funky replacement magnifying glass (having lost the sleek one which came standard, tucked into its very own drawer), reading about the histories of my favorite words or finding new ones that I'll probably never have any occasion to use. This dictionary also makes an excellent end table, if you're not the sort of person who is bothered by coffee rings to your books. Mine looks like crap - b ...more
Bob Peru
i have this. i use the magnifying glass to look at topo maps whilst drinkin' beer. ya know plannin' hikin' trips an' such.

i generally use my full-on 20 volume OED.
Maureen
Jun 24, 2008 Maureen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Maureen by: John Taylor
Shelves: reference
This is the ultimate dictionary. It is especially recommended for keeping in the kitchen, for those times when you have to wait for the water to boil, and turn to a page, then look, using the reading glass from the little drawer above the two volumes, and see....

Dumbledore. A humble-bee or a bumble bee or a dial. cockchafer.

Which leads to:

Cockchafer. A colcopterous insect or beetle, well known in England and Europe.

Of course, these are only bits of the definitions, but every time I touch either
Kristina  UK
I used this when I was at college and finally learnt what a real dictionary was all about. I could get lost in the pages of a dictionary, skipping from one definition to another to see how long a chain I can make of words I didn't know.
Erik Graff
Feb 24, 2014 Erik Graff rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: reference
I obtained this, which, with supplements, is the most complete dictionary of the English language, as an introductory offer from The Book of the Month Club soon after matriculating at Union Theological Seminary in New York. It was quite inexpensive, maybe $19.99. Since then I've also obtained the supplement.

Given the tiny print, four pages of the original set on each page of this edition, this OED is difficult to use. Thus the magnifying glass which accompanies it. Still, it covers terms not inc
Chip
*THE* resource. Don't lose the magnifying glass (I did, had to buy a new one). More portable than the multiple volume set. Quicker access and more informative than the online version (not many books can say that today) and cheaper than the annual subscription. Keep your eyes open, you can often pick this up at a used bookstore - great investment. Will not have the latest stuff, but you already know that! What you need is the historical context; this book is historic context personified.
Lisa Vegan
May 13, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love words
Unique history of the English language and how it's changed and grown. Unfortunately, this is the edition I own. So much about the English language has changed in the last 3 1/2 decades! Wish I had the funds to subscribe annually online to the OED! But it's still fun to look at the old editions, such as this one, to see the history of the English language up until that time.
Alvin
Nov 22, 2007 Alvin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This is the book(s) that I sleep with they stay in my bed
I open random pages and read, then go where it takes me An endless experiment in the language, something new each time.
I suggest you get one. Love to have the 20 volumes set but I'm not that obsessed yet
Billy
The most fabulous dictionary of the English language (other than the complete edition of the Oxford). You should be able to access the complete version, updated frequently, through your local library. This is the most indispensible tool I have ever used other than a pen!
Dallas
This was given to me as a gift several years ago and I refer to it often when I need a thorough definition or etymology. I know this increases my geek factor, but I love words. For a quick look-up, though, I prefer the Oxford American Dictionary.
Boaz
IT WAS FANTASTIC. I loved all the unique words used in its plot, for it was suspenseful all the way. Best book I've ever read and I recommend it to anyone that has the time.
Gregory Witt
Jul 16, 2012 Gregory Witt is currently reading it
i wish it didnt hurt so much to read, but, until i happen to find the 20 volume set in some magical dumpster somewhere...
Adam
Along with the Norton Anthology of English Literature, one of the two sacrosanct texts for all English scholars.
David
i feel like a detective using the magnifying glass! woo! i say, searching words and discovering their origins. woo!
Carol
This should be a mainstay in personal libraries. It is in mine along with Webster's 11th edition.
eric
Dec 18, 2007 eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
What more can be said? The OED is simply the coolest book ever written by humans. Seriously.
Meredythe Hutchinson
Ok, so I didn't read the WHOLE thing, but the parts I have were very interesting.
Tom
Constant companion throughout my life. I love these two books more than I do most people.
Ekaterina
That's a great posibility to learn the origin of the English words!
Simon
Perhaps the greatest scholarly endeavour in any language.
Trudie
I didn't actually read all of this, just excerpts.
Sasha
Muahaha! That is all.
Muqutadir Ahmed
Dec 22, 2012 Muqutadir Ahmed marked it as to-read
its good and very helpful...
Garnette
wish list
Arjunah
Arjunah marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Keshav
Keshav marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Raja Sekhar
Raja Sekhar marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Poonam
Poonam added it
Aug 24, 2015
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon
  • Earth User's Guide to Permaculture
  • The New Book of Forms: A Handbook of Poetics
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations: A Collection of Passages, Phrases and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • The Oxford English Dictionary: 20 Volume Set and CD-ROM [With CDROM]
  • Hoyle's Rules of Games
  • The American Heritage Dictionary
  • An Exaltation of Larks: The Ultimate Edition
  • Garner's Modern American Usage
  • Lingua Latina per se Illustrata: Pars I: Familia Romana (Pt. 1)
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
A Dictionary of the First or Oldest Words in the English Language Two Dictionaries: Old and Middle English A Dictionary of the First or Oldest Words in the English Language from the Semi-Saxon Period of AD 1250 to 1300 Consisting of an Alphabetical Inventory...English Literature of the 13th Century A Glossarial Index to the Printed English Literature