Start by marking “Cat People” as Want to Read:
Cat People

Cat People

With characteristic wit, self–effacing charm and sheer, exuberant love of a good cat story, New York Times bestselling author Michael Korda and his wife Margaret Korda recount their lives as "cat people," beginning with Margaret's passion for cats (and Michael's reluctant mid–life transformation into a cat person), and introducing readers to a hilarious assortment of peopl ...more
Published October 25th 2005 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Cat People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat People

Eleanore M.
Jan 24, 2015 Eleanore M. rated it it was ok
So, well, this was nothing but a random collection of loosely related stories with no real organization or structure. A quick read. I would recommend it for people who have an unexpected overnight layover at the airport and have nothing better to do.
Greydrakkon
Feb 17, 2010 Greydrakkon rated it liked it
While some of the stories are amusing little anecdotes, there's also a few really horrible ones, like when a mother and daughter go to town and the father hires someone to kill every single cat at their barn. Charming. It's reality, but if they were going for a lighthearted book here, they failed. Badly. I also disagree with the opening chapter, on how cats are barely tolerant of humanity and so on. I think anyone who's dealt with cats know that each one has their own personality, and that the " ...more
Barbara
Apr 02, 2012 Barbara rated it did not like it
Hilarious? Not even a little bit. I have no idea why I took the precious time to read the whole thing, except it was relatively short. As much as I like cats, this was poorly written, with no definite voice, and would have turned me into a cat hater if I was inclined to give this book that much power. Letting cats on counters and tables at meal times? Yeah, I don't think so!
Sarah N
Jul 17, 2014 Sarah N rated it it was amazing
I have no idea why this book has so many bad reviews...clearly it must be possible to "love cats" but not actually be a "cat person." I found it completely delightful and laughed out loud through the entire thing. Most of the cat observations I found to be spot on, especially since I haven't "owned" less than 3 cats myself for several years now. If you're a cat lover, ignore all the other stupid Goodreads people and read it. The writing style is, perhaps, a little odd, but I thought it added to ...more
Nannette
May 15, 2015 Nannette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly entertaining little book written by a husband and wife about the cats that did and still do populate their life and house. Slightly confusing at times because it is unclear whether it is Michael or Margaret writing certain passages. However, they both humorously convey their love for all their feline housemates.
Luthien
Mar 17, 2016 Luthien rated it liked it
Overall, a cute, quick read; I really don't understand all the negative reviews. As someone who's had cats all her life and whose family is currently providing food and shelter for a lovable stray that comes and goes when he pleases, I found this book to be by turns touching, relatable, and amusing.
Stefanie
Aug 16, 2016 Stefanie rated it really liked it
A cute little book that cat owners will definitely enjoy. The Kordas talk about cats in general, prompting laugh out loud remarks, and their cats in specific. Most of the chapters detail in high humor their adventures as farm-living cat adopters. Would recommend to cat lovers.
Alicia
Feb 19, 2015 Alicia rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, read-2015
This is a cute book that can best be summed up with a quote from it:

"The thing is, [cats] give you something to laugh about every day. Who can knock that?"
Who indeed? Of course, eventually they make you cry too, but that's part of the deal.
Forrest
Feb 17, 2008 Forrest rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: the author's mom
Margaret
Oct 09, 2015 Margaret rated it really liked it
This was a charming little read. All about a couple and the cats who adopted them over the years. If you've ever lost your heart to a cat, you will be amused by this. Dog people need not read.
Cheryl
Oct 15, 2013 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: cats
I was expecting this book to address the different sort of quirks exhibited by cat people in general or to spotlight famous or eccentric cat people. This was more of a discussion of the authors as cat people and their various cats. Now, as a cat lover, I am not going to object to reading about cats and their personalities. But there are enough different cats in here that you don't become truly attached to any of them, so it is not as compelling as some I have read that spend years following the ...more
Pippa
Apr 14, 2014 Pippa rated it liked it
A pleasant read from a couple of cat lovers who tell us about some of the cats they have owned and the quirks that each cat has.
Tricia Troisi mackell
Feb 19, 2015 Tricia Troisi mackell rated it did not like it
Love cats, but this book was disgusting . . . cats peeing in the kitchen sink, people living with 27 cat boxes.
Hollie Nelson
Mar 19, 2014 Hollie Nelson rated it liked it
I would likely rate this at 3.5 stars as it was enjoyable, warm and entertaining-though not in a funny way. It was charming and also interesting to see the inside thought process/life of cat lovers.
Brisbride13
Jul 25, 2012 Brisbride13 rated it it was ok
I was real disappointed with this book. Some of their stories were sweet and pulled me in but for the most part I coulddnt wait to get done with it. The authors complained a lot about their furniture being ruined and wrote quite a bit about cats in a stereo-typical way. If you have 4 or 5 cats in your home theyre going to scratch furniture...more than likely to leave their scent behind only to have it covered up by another...buy cheaper furniture! I found myself irritated by this book. Being the ...more
SouthWestZippy
Jan 18, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it really liked it
Funny in parts and very sad in others. Very quick read for cat lovers but others might find it a bit so what.
Diana Petty-stone
Sep 07, 2015 Diana Petty-stone rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming stories of the cats Margaret and Michael Korda have rescued through the years.
Megan Bond
Mar 22, 2015 Megan Bond rated it did not like it
borderline painful to try and get through
Leslie
Sep 21, 2015 Leslie rated it really liked it
cute book, quick read: )
Ashley
Mar 15, 2011 Ashley rated it did not like it
This was a very random read; I don't even remember how it came to be on my TBR list.. I thought it was going to be a funny look back at the Korda's relationship with cats. Instead, it was random, disjointed, and not really that funny. Maybe if I knew the Kordas it would have made more sense: it read like little anecdotes you pass along to friends and family to keep the up-to-date about what's been going on with you.

Some of the illustrations were cute, but that's all I thought it had going for it
Surreysmum
A light, fast fun read - it took me through the commute to work and the commute home one day. The Kordas talk about the habits of the many cats they have adopted (or who have adopted them) at their rustic house over the years. Plenty of chuckles of recognition for any cat owner. There are sad cases as well, but most of the stories reinforce the joy and fascination of living alongside the Furry Ones. My only cavil was that it was sometimes hard to keep track of whose voice was narrating.
Flexanimous
Apr 29, 2014 Flexanimous rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
I don't know why I thought it would be that interesting to read a book which is just a bunch of anecdotes about somebody's cats..
Kate
Oct 18, 2015 Kate rated it it was ok
not as good as I thought it would be from the reviews.
Tami Latta
Dec 02, 2010 Tami Latta rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book immensely. Although I felt that the factual information at the beginning was difficult to chew through, when I finally reached the stories about the cats I was touched and ended up loving the Korda family. The perspective changes in awkward paragraphs, but aside from this, the book is heartwarming and will leave you with a laugh or two. A great book for a cat lover.
Jan 18, 2013 Laura rated it it was ok
I was wavering between two and three stars. Although this book wasn't quite what I expected and occasionally confused me with its' haphazard writing, I still read it in the course of one afternoon. The cats themselves are very interesting -- I enjoyed their stories. Yet, I just felt like some kind of glue was missing through the whole book. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
Janean
May 29, 2013 Janean rated it it was ok
This book gets 2 stars for the occasionally amusing anecdotes about cats. It gets no stars for disseminating false information (that an older cat's only reason for disliking travel is that it isn't first class; that warm milk is good to give outdoor cats....) Also, the writers are total snobs which can be amusing but grows tedious to those of us who have to work for a living.
Aprille
Feb 20, 2010 Aprille rated it it was ok
Book #2 of 2010 - Meh. I liked the individual cat portraits. But underlying it all was an inherent snootiness from the authors. It took a while to get any sense that they really loved these animals they took in. And I really don't care about how expensive and designer your furniture is, please stop referring to it as if it's a huge tragedy when it gets scratched.
Jul 06, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction-read
This is a collection of anecdotes of the cats that the Korda family have owned. Sometimes the couple have been selected by a cat and some they have chose. This is how cats often come into our lives. I adopted a cat from an animal shelter and still feel like he chose me. We are all lucky to have such loving, furry creatures in our lives.
Debra
Dec 05, 2011 Debra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hardcover out-of-print, anticipated more illustrative drawings.

The style of writing: like an old married couple with a tendency to finish each other's sentences, sometimes the story melds into his-her version without clear distinction of when and where it actually began. Be prepared with a box of tissues.
Cole Schoolland
Mar 20, 2010 Cole Schoolland rated it it was ok
I picked it up one day and just started reading it. I would find it laying around and read a few pages here and there, and before I knew it... I had read the whole thing. It is a cute read. More of an introspective/autobiographical look at author's relationship with cats in particular.
  • The Cat Who'll Live Forever: The Final Adventures of Norton, the Perfect Cat, and His Imperfect Human
  • Catification: Designing a Happy and Stylish Home for Your Cat (and You!)
  • The Cat Manual
  • Making the Cat Laugh
  • The Good, the Bad and the Furry: Life with the World's Most Melancholy Cat and Other Whiskery Friends
  • A Letter to My Cat: Notes to Our Best Friends
  • The Best Cat Ever
  • To Be A Cat
  • Kittens For Dummies
  • The Watchman: The Twisted Life and Crimes of Serial Hacker Kevin Poulsen
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: What I Learned from the Cat: 101 Stories about Life, Love, and Lessons
  • The Bicycle Wheel
  • The Black Donnellys
  • Bark If You Love Me
  • More Sweet Tea (Sweet Tea, #2)
  • Metal Cats
  • Why Cats Paint: A Theory of Feline Aesthetics
  • Art Nouveau
is an English-born writer and novelist who was editor-in-Chief of Simon & Schuster in New York City.
More about Michael Korda...

“We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. —Irving Townshend, Separate Lives” 1 likes