Start by marking “The Slow Fix” as Want to Read:
The Slow Fix

The Slow Fix

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  357 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
”Coyote is an important literary voice, blending a keen sense of gay identity and community with a refreshing appreciation for the goodness at the heart of some straight people.”—Out

The first three story collections by Ivan E. Coyote featured insightful, deeply personal tales about gender, identity, and community, based on her own experiences growing up lesbian in Canada’s
Published April 1st 2009 by Arsenal Pulp Press (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Slow Fix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Slow Fix

Lbaker
Aug 17, 2011 Lbaker rated it it was amazing
The stories in this book show the maturing of the author.

I find it so easy to relate to the voice in this book, her extended family and friends are familiar, as I read each book by this author I find myself reading bits of it aloud to my daughters, my husband, anyone at hand. The humour is infectious, the insights touching and the informative. I must admit that before reading Ivan E. Coyote's books I had never given thought to public bathroom use by people who's gender is not apparent, and will
Elaine Burnes
Sep 06, 2010 Elaine Burnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesbian
This was terrific. A slim volume of short stories. She says they are fiction, but they read like personal essays--apparently culled from a column she writes. She's Canadian, living in Vancouver, BC (and thereabouts) and travels far and wide giving performances. Many of these are lovely character sketches of the folks she meets in her travels--little slices of life. There are also some lovely tales of being a modern butch, the good and the bad (I just had no idea how intimidating a public bathroo ...more
Karli
Aug 24, 2010 Karli rated it liked it
I generally really like Ivan's work, and I wanted to love these stories. These short short stories feel unfinished; they're bursting with the potential to go amazing places, but they just end. They're like rockets that fizzle out just after you shout "blast off!" But they should soar; they could soar if Ivan built on and extended the clever analogies, metaphors, and imagery, and really let them take off.
Emily
Mar 22, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
These autobiographical short stories are phenomenal. Most are fewer than 5 pages long, many are about perceptions of gender, but all are about finding one's place in the world. In the end, they are about the folds of community, the weave of the fabric, and I was really impressed with the depth and feeling that Coyote conveys in such little space.
Strawfoot
May 16, 2009 Strawfoot rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore Ivan Coyote. His ability to document the experience of aging qender queers in this society gives voice to my feelings. Plus, he is one of the few people that was not a let down when I met him. As gentlemanly as one would imagine from the books. If you ever get a chance to see him read his work you should.
Lindy
Mar 04, 2016 Lindy rated it it was amazing
Ivan Coyote is a storyteller who was raised in the Yukon and now lives in Vancouver. This is her 4th collection of short stories... or should I say "his"? Ivan addresses this question in the piece titled "Imagine a Pair of Boots."

"I have always felt this way about gender pronouns, that 'she' pinches a little and 'he' slips off me too easily. I'm often asked by well-intentioned people which pronoun I prefer, and I always say the same thing: that I don't really have a preference, that neither pron
Coreena McBurnie
Jul 25, 2012 Coreena McBurnie rated it really liked it
I absolutely love Ivan Coyote's storytelling. Her stories just draw me in and make me want to keep reading more.

This collection is a short story, memoir collection. She touches on a wide range of topics, though many of them involve how we view gender roles, but there are also other topics, such as family and growing up in the north. In the space of one story Coyote has the ability to make the reader laugh, cry, be entertained, be challenged, and think - quite a feat.

Coyote is clearly a master
Magdelanye
There is a special place for the really short story, in which every word counts. IC has a flair for capturing the essence, and if the stories all have a wistful quality, it makes for endearing reading in those moments between events. Especially good for bank lineups,and in line at the supermarket.
Cashew
Mar 08, 2014 Cashew rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone.
This is a wonderful book of short essays/true stories/familial yarns. Covers love, loneliness, childhood, environmental change, and haircuts, among other things. Just really great. Go read this right now.
Fictionista Du Jour
Nov 21, 2014 Fictionista Du Jour rated it it was amazing
Easily in my top five favorite books. Possibly top 3. Short stories, funny in a way that is both bittersweet and sneaks up on you. Real. So very real and wonderful.
Cindy
Apr 11, 2014 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, canadian, diverse
I can't even come up with words for how much I loved this collection of stories. I must now read everything Ivan Coyote has ever written...
Arsenal
Apr 09, 2009 Arsenal rated it it was amazing
Nominated for a 2008 Lambda Literary Award, Lesbian Fiction. The awards will be handed out at the gala in New York on May 28.

Here is a quote from Edge publications about The Slow Fix.

A masterful and powerful collection of stories that stirs the soul and challenges readers’ attitudes and preconceptions. Quite simply, it is a collection of stories that anyone should read regardless of race, age, or gender.... The Slow Fix, through stories that make the reader laugh and cry, is a brilliant addition
Jane Hamilton
Feb 25, 2016 Jane Hamilton rated it really liked it
A book of anecdotes (or essays) rather than short fiction, but with humour and heart big enough to warm the world.
Liznemeth
Oct 10, 2014 Liznemeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, amazon
Brilliant stories, most of them made me thinking about life more deeply. I would listen these stories as night tales.
Véronique
Oct 25, 2014 Véronique rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Actually, this was a re-read. I love most of all hearing Ivan tell stories, because a storyteller is what they are primarily, but I also loved their column in Xtra. This collection of stories came out in 2010. Ivan tells me they would probably write a different book now, but that's how our lives go. This is Ivan telling about their life at that time, and it's a good read.
Becc
May 01, 2010 Becc rated it really liked it
Just wish she could write 'em faster than I can read 'em! Loving these, if a little less than the last book I think due to having binged on its stories all in such quick succession. The next volume I order I'll try to be more disciplined with, doling them out one at a time rather than being the greedy pig I've been with this round. TRY, I said. No promises, cuz they're awfully more-ish. :)
Mike Bull
Dec 26, 2012 Mike Bull rated it really liked it
This collection of short stories written in the first person by a Vancouver author and set primarily in British Columbia have to do with lesbian identity. They are full of humor, wit and sarcasm as well as heart touching moments. I picked this up at random from the library and finished it in no time. At the heart of the stories are themes of family and belonging.
Hillary
Aug 23, 2014 Hillary rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, nonfiction
I just love Ivan Coyote.
Nicole
Feb 15, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it
I ordered this from the library after reading and liking Bow Grip. I wasn't sure what to expect because this book seems to be more heavily promoted as queer fiction - a designation I took to indicate the intended audience, not just the subject matter. Maybe I was wrong about that; this is definitely accessible to a wider audience. I enjoyed it immensely.
Pam P
Oct 18, 2009 Pam P rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I finished this last year and forgot to write a review. It was good, I didn't expect anything else from Ivan Coyote though. I had read a bit of this in her monthly column though. Still it's great to have on hand. I pick it up and reread some of the stories when I feel a bit out of tune.
Faith
Sep 25, 2010 Faith rated it really liked it
Called short stories, and shortlisted for a Lammy Award in fiction, but sure reads like autobiographical essays. Short essays. Laugh-out-loud funny in places. Gets 4 stars instead of 3 because of "Imagine a Pair of Boots," one of the best writing I've read about trans/gender.
Ellie
Apr 29, 2014 Ellie rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, gender-queer
It felt a lot like sitting around my grandparent's kitchen table at the Farm, listening to all the neighbors tell their stories, but without the fear that I'll get a beating if they find out I'm queer. Nostalgia IMPROVED!
Cheryl Mccormick
Amazing as usual. She is one of my favorite authors and I thoroughly enjoy the fact that she is local. I didn't realize she has cd's and I would like to see her perform live. That would be amazing.
Angela
Jun 09, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
Waited for this book...it's smaller than I had hoped it might be. We are savoring it by reading the stories aloud.

Good, I love Ivan's books...wish there had been more of it.
Lynn Bornath
The stories are funny, touching, insightful, and the perfect length. Read the full review.
Queen
Jul 15, 2013 Queen rated it it was amazing
Great book. Easy read. Well written.
The short stories follow one another and tell the story of the author. Subjects are well chosen. The book is a real eye opener.
Zoom
Dec 15, 2010 Zoom rated it it was amazing
Ivan Coyote has such a unique voice and interesting perspective on human beings. He brings out the open-minded, non-judgmental, people-loving best in me.
Kelly
Dec 17, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it
Carly read nearly all of these stories to me in one fell swoop. This is the way Coyote's books are intended to be experienced: out loud and in good company.
Sueb
Aug 24, 2009 Sueb marked it as to-read
I just heard Ivan read this weekend at Butch Voices. Amazing!Read her "Loose End" column here and search thru the archives...you won't be disappointed!
CJ
Aug 04, 2011 CJ rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ems Donnelly
Shelves: recently-read
Ivan Coyote is an amazing storyteller and these stories were just plain amazing. Have long been a sort-of fan of Ivan, am now definitely one.
  • Boys Like Her: Transfictions
  • Queer and Trans Artists of Color: Stories of Some of Our Lives
  • S/He
  • Baby Remember My Name: An Anthology of New Queer Girl Writing
  • How Poetry Saved My Life: A Hustler's Memoir
  • First Person Queer: Who We Are (So Far)
  • Memory Board
  • Girl Unwrapped
  • The Necessity of Certain Behaviors
  • The Collection: Short Fiction from the Transgender Vanguard
  • The Creamsickle
  • Sointula
  • Pregnant Butch: Nine Long Months Spent in Drag
  • The Persistent Desire: A Femme-Butch Reader
Ivan Coyote was born and raised in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. An award-winning author of six collections of short stories, one novel, three CD’s, four short films and a renowned performer, Ivan’s first love is live storytelling, and over the last thirteen years they have become an audience favourite at music, poetry, spoken word and writer’s festivals from Anchorage to Amsterdam.
More about Ivan E. Coyote...