Start by marking “Worms Of The Earth” as Want to Read:
Worms Of The Earth

Worms Of The Earth (The Weird Works Of Robert E. Howard #5)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Bran Mak Morn, King of the Picts, vows revenge on the Roman governor Titus Sulla after witnessing the crucifixion of a fellow Pict. He seeks forbidden aid from the Worms of the Earth, a race of creatures who were once men but after generations of living underground have become monstrous and semi-reptilian. He secures their help after stealing a religious item of theirs fro ...more
Paperback, First Printing
Published July 1975 by Zebra Books (first published February 11th 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Worms Of The Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worms Of The Earth

Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
I chose to read this book because many years ago I read the first part in a Conan the Barbarian Comic and always wanted to know how it progressed and ended. How disappointing. It would appear that I read the best bit whilst the rest just sped by. Oh well.
Timothy Boyd
Robert E. Howard is my all time favorite writer, but for many years much of his work was heavily edited. This is another of the heavily edited collections of Robert E. Howard's stories. I am a purist when it comes to a writers works. I know some of these stories are no longer PC but they should be read as Howard wrote them and understood that he wrote in another time period. Don't read this book unless you just can't find any others of Howard's unedited books to read. Message me if you need a li ...more
East Bay J
I found this copy of Robert E. Howard’s Worms Of The Earth in a little thrift store and snapped it up. It’s been years since I read any of Howard’s work, mainly because I hunted down and read everything he wrote when I was a kid. Of all the fantasy writers in this swords and sorcery genre, Howard remains my favorite. Something about his writing puts him head and shoulders above his peers, in my opinion.

The tales represented here are not Howard’s best work, perhaps, but very interesting all the s
Shawn
This is actually the first Robert E. Howard story I've read, even though I'm a Conan fan -- strange, I know. I was confused at certain parts throughout the story, but by the end I was able to piece together the sum of everything. The way Robert is able to paint an image so vivid in my mind is just astonishing. From the very first paragraph I could visualize exactly where I was in his 'world.'

Looking forward to reading more of his work.
Charles
Another really fine collection of stories. Bran Mak Morn is probably my favorite Howard character on an individual basis. These stories show Howard at the height of his power.

Note: This book contains most of the same stories as in the Dell paperback called "Bran Mak Morn," with the exception of "The Night of the Wolf," which it doesn't include.
Christopher
Wow! Short stories by REH, pulp at it's best. REH plays fast and loose with history but none of that matters when broadswords cleft helms and the rivers run red with your enemies blood!
Gary Colcombe
Superb fun - highly action packed! AS with all Howard's writing, you have to take his history with a pinch of salt but superb fun! :)
GaryandRuth
Nathan Langford
Very good guilty pleasure for 'hack and slash'. Howard had a gift for words and sometimes he could just draw you in.
Huckleberry
Decent short read. Part fantasy, part horror.
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Allison Lawrence
Allison Lawrence marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Beldz
Beldz is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2015
Ramiro
Ramiro marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Jim
Jim added it
May 03, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
John Kaster
John Kaster marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Sarafina! Kerkula
Sarafina! Kerkula marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Clay Jordan
Clay Jordan marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
  • Conan of the Isles (Conan 12)
  • Weird Tales
  • Brand of the Werewolf (Doc Savage #5)
  • Night Winds
  • Conan the Valorous
  • Night's Black Agents
  • Hadon of Ancient Opar
  • Conan the Defiant
  • I Am a Barbarian
  • Jirel of Joiry
  • Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard
  • The Bones of the Old Ones (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand #2)
  • Conan the Victorious (Conan, #7)
  • The Metal Monster
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p
More about Robert E. Howard...

The Weird Works Of Robert E. Howard (10 books)
  • Shadow Kingdoms: The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard, Vol. 1
  • The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard: Moon Of Skulls (Book 2)
  • People Of The Dark (The Weird Works Of Robert E. Howard, #3)
  • The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard: Wings in the Night (Book 4)
  • The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard, Volume 6: The Garden of Fear
  • Beyond the Black River
  • Conan the Conqueror
  • Black Hounds of Death
  • A Thunder of Trumpets
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (Conan the Cimmerian, #1) The Conquering Sword of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #3) Conan of Cimmeria (Conan 2) The Bloody Crown of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #2) The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane