Start by marking “Worms Of The Earth” as Want to Read:
Worms Of The Earth

Worms Of The Earth (The Weird Works Of Robert E. Howard #5)

Bran Mak Morn, King of the Picts, vows revenge on the Roman governor Titus Sulla after witnessing the crucifixion of a fellow Pict. He seeks forbidden aid from the Worms of the Earth, a race of creatures who were once men but after generations of living underground have become monstrous and semi-reptilian. He secures their help after stealing a religious item of theirs fro ...more
Paperback, First Printing
Published July 1975 by Zebra Books (first published February 11th 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Worms Of The Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worms Of The Earth

F.R.
Aug 25, 2015 F.R. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The very same day that my lovely wife picked up a copy of ‘Z for Zachariah’ at the free bookshelves of our local train station, I picked up this.

Robert E. Howard is of course a writer I knew of, but one I’d never actually read. Obviously I’d seen the complete ‘Conan’ in the bookshops, but at 850+ pages, the whole thing just looked far too daunting. ‘Worms of the Earth’ is similarly fantasy, but it’s much shorter, looks more manageable and of course was mine for nothing. Therefore it seemed a wo
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
I chose to read this book because many years ago I read the first part in a Conan the Barbarian Comic and always wanted to know how it progressed and ended. How disappointing. It would appear that I read the best bit whilst the rest just sped by. Oh well.
Graham
Mar 14, 2017 Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, anthology
John
May 20, 2016 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like the author is a kindred spirit, though I hope I am less racist and sexist. I am also fascinated by the origins of humanity, but... well, you'll see.

Howard is fascinated by the idea of prehistoric tribes, and he explores this by describing them (inaccurately) and then making them fight.

This book is all about the Picts, or at least his version of the Picts -- who are Mediterranean in origin and are the eldest extent human group in the British Isles, at least among those that live above
East Bay J
I found this copy of Robert E. Howard’s Worms Of The Earth in a little thrift store and snapped it up. It’s been years since I read any of Howard’s work, mainly because I hunted down and read everything he wrote when I was a kid. Of all the fantasy writers in this swords and sorcery genre, Howard remains my favorite. Something about his writing puts him head and shoulders above his peers, in my opinion.

The tales represented here are not Howard’s best work, perhaps, but very interesting all the s
Timothy Boyd
May 10, 2015 Timothy Boyd rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Robert E. Howard is my all time favorite writer, but for many years much of his work was heavily edited. This is another of the heavily edited collections of Robert E. Howard's stories. I am a purist when it comes to a writers works. I know some of these stories are no longer PC but they should be read as Howard wrote them and understood that he wrote in another time period. Don't read this book unless you just can't find any others of Howard's unedited books to read. Message me if you need a li ...more
Shawn
Aug 05, 2014 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually the first Robert E. Howard story I've read, even though I'm a Conan fan -- strange, I know. I was confused at certain parts throughout the story, but by the end I was able to piece together the sum of everything. The way Robert is able to paint an image so vivid in my mind is just astonishing. From the very first paragraph I could visualize exactly where I was in his 'world.'

Looking forward to reading more of his work.
Charles
Jul 18, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another really fine collection of stories. Bran Mak Morn is probably my favorite Howard character on an individual basis. These stories show Howard at the height of his power.

Note: This book contains most of the same stories as in the Dell paperback called "Bran Mak Morn," with the exception of "The Night of the Wolf," which it doesn't include.
Mark Hodder
Nov 05, 2015 Mark Hodder rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I read this during my early teens and it left me with an impression of greatness. Four decades later, I've discovered that the impression was based on just one of the seven stories in this volume, and my memory vastly exaggerated its quality. Disappointed.
Gary Colcombe
Mar 06, 2010 Gary Colcombe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Superb fun - highly action packed! AS with all Howard's writing, you have to take his history with a pinch of salt but superb fun! :)
GaryandRuth
Apr 16, 2010 GaryandRuth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Nathan Langford
Very good guilty pleasure for 'hack and slash'. Howard had a gift for words and sometimes he could just draw you in.
Christopher
May 05, 2012 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Wow! Short stories by REH, pulp at it's best. REH plays fast and loose with history but none of that matters when broadswords cleft helms and the rivers run red with your enemies blood!
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
May 26, 2008
David
David rated it it was ok
May 20, 2012
Jude
Jude rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2009
Jeff Schmidt
Jeff Schmidt rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Robert Bottos
Robert Bottos rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2007
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2013
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2011
Tony Sims-Novis
Tony Sims-Novis rated it really liked it
May 29, 2011
Darryl Brown
Darryl Brown rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Michael Nolan
Michael Nolan rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2017
Rudy
Rudy rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Ted Cross
Ted Cross rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Conan of the Isles (Conan 12)
  • Weird Tales: The Magazine That Never Dies
  • Darkness Weaves
  • Conan the Warlord
  • The Ring of Ikribu (Red Sonja, #1)
  • Conan the Valorous
  • Hadon of Ancient Opar
  • I Am a Barbarian
  • Swords in the Mist (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #3)
  • Conan the Defiant
  • Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard
  • Extreme Zombies
  • The Swords Trilogy (Corum, #1-3)
  • Dark Faith: Invocations
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p
More about Robert E. Howard...

The Weird Works Of Robert E. Howard (10 books)
  • Shadow Kingdoms (The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard #1)
  • Moon of Skulls (The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard #2)
  • People of the Dark (The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard #3)
  • Wings in the Night (The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard #4)
  • The Garden of Fear (The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard #6)
  • Beyond the Black River
  • Conan the Conqueror
  • Black Hounds of Death (Weird Works of Robert E. Howard)
  • A Thunder of Trumpets