Start by marking “Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises” as Want to Read:
Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises

Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises

The greatest humanitarian challenge we face today is that of providing shelter. The physical design of our homes, neighborhoods and communities shapes every aspect of our live, yet where architects are most desperately needed, they can least be afforded. Design Like You Give a Damn is a compendium of innovative projects from around the world that demonstrate the power of d ...more
Published January 15th 2006 by US Green Building Council

To ask other readers questions about Design Like You Give a Damn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Design Like You Give a Damn

Kerri
Mar 06, 2008 Kerri rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in humanitarian efforts and innovative design
I was disappointed in this book. I wish I could rate it higher, because Architecture for Humanity, the creators of the book, are my favorite non-profit, and I was hoping for more out of this. This book seems to try to be an architectural design version of Worldchanging, but it didn't leave me nearly as hopeful.

The bad first: The books just profiles too many projects. It seem that any project that was somewhat clever and made it to prototype (in most cases) was good enough to include, regardless
Carl Wade
Dec 03, 2012 Carl Wade rated it really liked it
Projects for developing communities.
Jacket: One half of the world's people don't have clean water nor adequate sanitation.
Pg 62: Here is a green mobile home that is self sufficient, solar powered that was developed by Mississippi State University.
Pg 137: Migrant worker house with green houses for $70,000, each with 1,000 sq.ft.
Pg 176: Huts for $300 to $500, 16 to 46 sq.ft, 6 by 8 ft. This would make a good small business.
Pg 30: Buss word "community base projects" Bakery, clinic and a livelihoo
Thomas Vree
May 15, 2012 Thomas Vree rated it really liked it
A more specific subset of the issues discussed in a book like Worldchanging: A Users Guide for the 21st Century - namely architecture, but more specifically architecture and product design to address refugees, people displaced because of natural and environmental disaster, homelessness, better housing for people in slums, etc. Creative solutions that strive for a light ecological footprint and also strive for being appropriate for the locale and culture. Not every attempt is necessarily successf ...more
Kristen
Feb 26, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone concerned about people in need.
Wow, terrific book. Anyone, not just designers, will enjoy some aspect of this collection. Put into sets based on type of project, each piece receives 2 or 3 pages of pictures and description. There are large community-design plans, group and individual dwellings, relief and transient shelter, existing building upgrades, and waste-water treatment solutions. Each project brings something different to the conglomeration, and each project stands alone, for quick reading.

The book is worth the price
Mark
Aug 11, 2009 Mark rated it liked it
Architecture for Humanity is an organisation which acts as an agency and promoter of ethical architecture. This book catalogues a variety of projects all over the world which have been undertaken in this spirit and are the result of humane interventions, whether emergency architecture and shelter, or community type projects.

The format and font size makes the book a little difficult to read and the illustrations and lack of proper plans inhibits a detailed understanding of the projects, it is st
Marla
Mar 27, 2011 Marla rated it it was amazing
One in seven people live in a slum or refugee camp. Nearly half of the world's population have no access to clean water or sanitation. Good design is not for the elite but a necessity for all. Shelter is a necessity for all. This book presents the value of cultural sustainability as well as environmental sustainability with projects ranging from fiberglass shelters for the homeless in LA to a water pump in South Africa powered by children playing on a merry-go-round. The ingenuity in these proje ...more
Spencerian
Jun 09, 2009 Spencerian rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book for the coffee table. At the same time, it's a great compilation of case studies of how people design homes and living quarters to fulfill the basic human need for shelter. Though it's a thick & heavy book, it's an easy read, since it's laid out like a magazine - some articles are just a page of photos and half a page of text. What strikes me most about this book is the multiple layers of creativity - the layout is creative and striking, while the content itself touches on th ...more
Elisabeth
Jan 04, 2011 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An inspiring book edited by Architecture for Humanity. Full of photos showing many creative ways to improve lives with humanitarian architecture. My degree is in housing and my passion for it has not waned. The designs in this book range from solutions for tsunmai victims, political refugees, schools, homeless (you have to see the Parasite design), clinics, etc., etc. Fascinating!
Corey Dutson
Dec 17, 2009 Corey Dutson rated it really liked it
Great book outlining responsible and innovative design practices both within and outside of architecture. The History lesson at the start is a bit dry, but very informative in regards to the evolution of responsible building designs.

Hoping they come out with an updated version, as the examples from the book only run until 2005.
Tonya
Jun 13, 2008 Tonya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eco-env, favorites
A must read for those who are in need of some good news concerning man's ability to care for others concerning one of our most basic needs. This book highlights architectual design and planning for individuals and communities that are thinking about the needs of their environments in addition to their own.
Nissa
Nov 01, 2008 Nissa rated it really liked it
This book isn't so much a cover-to-cover kind of book. It talks about all kinds of interestingly and/or efficiently designed dwellings (and a other kinds of living-related programs and tools). It's put out by Architecture for Humanity, which is a sweet organization that you should also check out.
Citrus Libraries Staff Favorites
Melissa
Mar 06, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in architecture or social issues
Recommended to Melissa by: my parents
my parents got me this book becuase it has a section on auburn's rural studio work. it turns out that the whole book is great, and it shows the importance of architecture and thoughtful design for everyone.
Jex
Jul 09, 2007 Jex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in architecture and anthropology
in the midst of reading it, but it is very interesting, and I am loving getting to know all of the architects - especially buckminster - oh, bucky, you're the greatest! What an amazing individual. that's the kind of person that i want to be. i want to change the world!
Emily
Aug 05, 2007 Emily rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: designers, and people who generally just care
Shelves: worthy_reread
This book has a been a great reference for me, to see some of the amazing and diverse works going on around the world related to finding creative solutions to show that architects ... well, give a damn about people in need around us.
Kate
Dec 29, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
This is an eye-opening collection of essays, interviews, pictures and plans on the design work that goes into providing disaster relief across the globe. I especially appreciated the insights on the role of designers in creating affordable housing through history.
Julia
Nov 05, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it
Good basic intro to design possibilities in response to crisis. I wish it had less projects and included more details and follow up information.
Adam
Sep 15, 2008 Adam rated it it was amazing
A must for anyone interested in social justice and design. It's really the only book of it's kind, well, that I could find. It the kind of book Sam Mockbee would love to see.
Katie
Dec 18, 2007 Katie rated it it was ok
Any book that mentions Burning Man but doesn't mock it openly automatically gets docked a few stars.
molly
Jun 22, 2008 molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
this is one to own if you have any interest in simple creative solutions to worldwide problems. put this on your coffee table and the right people will want to be your friend for sure.
Darcy
Jan 03, 2008 Darcy rated it it was amazing
I learned about sharing and caring in architecture.. we shouldnt just design for those people that can afford it.
Rachel
Apr 02, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Fascinating book about how we could make the world a better place. My favorite was the well pump that worked by kids playing on it. Genius!
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2012
SquawkeyMagoo
SquawkeyMagoo rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2017
dominika
dominika rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2012
Spence Kellum
Spence Kellum rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Gabrielle
Gabrielle rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2012
Sarah Barlondo
Sarah Barlondo rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2017
Cynthia Atoui
Cynthia Atoui rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
  • Rural Studio: Samuel Mockbee and an Architecture of Decency
  • Thinking Architecture
  • Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture
  • The Architecture of the City
  • The BLDGBLOG Book
  • Architecture without Architects: A Short Introduction to Non-Pedigreed Architecture
  • Building Construction Illustrated